Male HQ

PREP / Truvada Discussion : All discussion on PrEP & it's side effects(Compiled)

Guest meowth

Guest Correct
8 hours ago, Sticky&Sweet said:

Why are you so upset? Haha ... as you said in the first paragraph, people have their views and assumptions mah. And it's based on their encounters. So let it be lah.

I don't have Grindr but I go to PlanetRomeo to chat sometimes. You may not believe me, but 10 out of 10 people I chatted who are on PreP ask for bareback sex. I always ask why, and they will always say "Because I'm on PreP. It's OK." But it's not.  

As such, I think it is not wrong to say that there IS a group of gay people out there who use PreP just because they want to engage in bareback sex, and that's all there is. In itself, then it is a abuse of PreP because the correct procedure of PreP is to use it with condoms, not without.

Exactly right! There are other STI’s to consider, too! Don’t forget that! 

Guest justicemustbeserved

@tomcat please refer to my above comment + I don't have to proof it to you. find yourself one. you know it when you are in a  serious relationship... just want to kill the mentality that everyone see everyone is doing then everyone think that it is ok to do. so next time if the law on drug is off. then everyone is drugging then it is correct to drug? maybe I am saying maybe you met people that cheated on you. but also does not means that you must cheat on others right? like that aren't you the same? stop living in your own world dude. somethings you just can't argue

To OP and whomever it may concern 

This seems to be a case of misplaced expectations. You seem to be expecting to see guys of a certain kind on a place like Grindr.

What were you expecting, honestly? It's no secret that Grindr is a hookup app, and that most if not all of the guys there are very much into casual sex. For that purpose, it is actually a good thing that most of these guys are on PrEP; it reduces/limits the spread of HIV. 

The faithful, monogamous type is obviously not going to be found on Grindr. And if someone on Grindr claims to be nonpromiscuous and monogamous you would certainly be wise to take that with a massive serving of salt. 

Monogamy is not for everyone it seems. That's fine; it's your right; you do you. 

The people throwing insults here and there about each other's personal preferences are really demonstrating their maturity (rather, the lack of). 

Guest justicemustbeserved

@siqh nope not expecting anything... I just don't like them justifying their actions like it is ok to do so. like I said it is definitely not alright to do it but if you choose to do so then don't blame anyone but your own decisions if anything happen to you. 

22 hours ago, flyerboy88 said:

Always the wise decision to play safe so we get to continue playing with a peace of mind in the long run.

Nonetheless, even with Prep as an additional protection, there are some STDs that could only be avoided if we don't do it at all.

So far, almost everyone want to suck without condom.

So u suck with condoms?

Fuck with condoms is for obvious reasons (regardless of trust) but to have sex, one should have basic trust with each other. If you don't even trust the person then disengage, that's the safest. Nothing can protect you besides your own judgement.

That's also why drugs should be 100% off, becos it implede our mind and judgement.

That is the real risk most ppl forget.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 5:35 PM, flyerboy88 said:

Always the wise decision to play safe so we get to continue playing with a peace of mind in the long run.

Nonetheless, even with Prep as an additional protection, there are some STDs that could only be avoided if we don't do it at all.

It’s better to use condom for oral sex. Some STD can be transmitted via oral. Best is to avoid any form of sex. I know... It’s hard...

19 hours ago, marcoc said:

It’s better to use condom for oral sex. Some STD can be transmitted via oral. Best is to avoid any form of sex. I know... It’s hard...

Yeah, I think it is quite impossible to abstain. Somehow it is wired into the DNA. There was a period of time the stance taken by educators was to avoid sex completely. However, they probably saw that it was not working. Now, they focus their efforts into prevention instead.

9 hours ago, azimuth said:

Yeah, I think it is quite impossible to abstain. Somehow it is wired into the DNA. There was a period of time the stance taken by educators was to avoid sex completely. However, they probably saw that it was not working. Now, they focus their efforts into prevention instead.

Yes... I think so... It’s hard to completely eliminate sex... PCC only can be safer then oral... :lol:

Guest Dont be a fool
22 hours ago, Guest ltristhebest said:

best is to be in long term committed relationship lah

Cant 100% trust, with apps like grindr and jackd your partner can easily find hookups.

Look even straight men and women in relationships are cheating and banging each other like Ashry and Joal. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PrePPie

I take PrEP everyday but i have no sex at all. It's called hope but so hard to find a match and place, most of my PrEP is wasted (maybe).

Anyway prepsingapore.com is still very cheap considering they have to ship in and manage customs issues legally and ensure I get it or a full refund. I asked them and they insisted on prescription because they work with doctors around asia and the original manufacturers from thai government so they are very strict on process and product quality, better than buying from a black market of similar price.

The customer service said people can spread super strain of PrEP if they don't know their HIV status and put themselves and others at risk (no medication can cure) so they and doctors refuse to sell without proper tests and prescription.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:27 PM, Ironrod said:

So u suck with condoms?

Fuck with condoms is for obvious reasons (regardless of trust) but to have sex, one should have basic trust with each other. If you don't even trust the person then disengage, that's the safest. Nothing can protect you besides your own judgement.

That's also why drugs should be 100% off, becos it implede our mind and judgement.

That is the real risk most ppl forget.

I oral with condom all the time.

On 4/17/2018 at 5:35 PM, flyerboy88 said:

Yes i guess 90% ppl prefer to suck without condom as they do not know the risk of STD like gonorrhea, most ppl infected STD.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:43 PM, kjboy said:

Yes i guess 90% ppl prefer to suck without condom as they do not know the risk of STD like gonorrhea, most ppl infected STD.

Yes. There is other STD beside HIV... Better to use condom for oral...

Guest Garytan

Low cost PrEP also available at prepsingapore.com, same price as Thailand coz their doctors  approve and ship medicine. Need prescription and blood test tho - i asked about anonymous HIV so they suggest to go for anonymous HIV with AFA first and once confirmed do the tests again with name with doctors and Hep B, Liver, kidney function can check with them.

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 10:20 PM, Rhyn said:

This statement is too general on whether it's a hard TRUE or FALSE for a very simple reason.

If you want to be safe from HIV using ONLY PREP, you have to consume PREP . every, single, dayAnd that may guarantee a high protection rate of about 90%+. Only if it's every single day

If you miss just one day, the protection drops drastically- enough that you might get HIV from unprotected sex. 

If you want the highest form of protection against STDs and HIV, use condoms and PREP.

According to the widely quoted iPrEx study:

Frequency of PrEP usage Estimated level of protection against HIV
7 pills per week ~99%
4 pills per week ~96%
2 pills per week ~76%

You can read more here: https://getpreponline.com/prep-info/

So basically, the level of protection varies depending on how frequently you take it. Taking PrEP everyday ensures a healthy amount of the anti-HIV drugs in your bloodstream.

Needless to say, PrEP + Condoms is recommended if you want to be completely safe from STDs and HIV!

1696768617_PrEPOnlineLogov2tiny.png.40339e949b7ca40cbeb310871a9ed1d0.png

Afraid of HIV? Get on PrEP and protect yourself today.
PrEP is a pill approved by the World Health Organization that you can take daily to reduce the risk of contracting HIV by up to 99%.

We ship PrEP worldwide cheaper than anywhere else, at under $30 per bottle.

Visit us at getpreponline.com today

We are a group of PrEP users based in the UK, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand who believe that access to PrEP should be made more convenient and affordable for people who need it all around the world.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Prepster said:

According to the widely quoted iPrEx study:

Frequency of PrEP usage Estimated level of protection against HIV
7 pills per week ~99%
4 pills per week ~96%
2 pills per week ~76%

You can read more here: https://getpreponline.com/prep-info/

So basically, the level of protection varies depending on how frequently you take it. Taking PrEP everyday ensures a healthy amount of the anti-HIV drugs in your bloodstream.

Needless to say, PrEP + Condoms is recommended if you want to be completely safe from STDs and HIV!

but wont be cheap, even if it is a "housebrand"

12 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

but wont be cheap, even if it is a "housebrand"

You'd be surprised actually! We started our site because we realised many of us in Asia have two main options for getting PrEP:

1. Get Truvada prescribed from a doctor (very expensive, $1000+ per bottle)
  2. Generic PrEP 'dealers' (often on Grindr, still costing ~$75 per bottle; unverifiable source)
  3. Pulse Clinic in Bangkok (also expensive and troublesome - need to make the trip to Thailand... though I'm not complaining sometimes!)

We basically work close to the source of generic PrEP - in our case, Mylan which manufactures Ricovir EM in India - so that we can bring it at a low price. That's how we're able to sell it at under $30 per bottle :-)

PrEP is a pill approved by the World Health Organization that you can take daily to reduce the risk of contracting HIV by up to 99%.

We are a group of PrEP users based in the UK, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand who believe that access to PrEP should be made more convenient and affordable for people who need it all around the world.

3 minutes ago, Prepster said:

You'd be surprised actually! We started our site because we realised many of us in Asia have two main options for getting PrEP:

1. Get Truvada prescribed from a doctor (very expensive, $1000+ per bottle)
  2. Generic PrEP 'dealers' (often on Grindr, still costing ~$75 per bottle; unverifiable source)
  3. Pulse Clinic in Bangkok (also expensive and troublesome - need to make the trip to Thailand... though I'm not complaining sometimes!)

We basically work close to the source of generic PrEP - in our case, Mylan which manufactures Ricovir EM in India - so that we can bring it at a low price. That's how we're able to sell it at under $30 per bottle :-)

but how much can a bottle last?
all of u  have been doing raw and proven "prep" & safe using that (india) brand?

it is like buying something to encourage more raw/unsafe sex?
n it is like eating something , which naturally no one needs to do it in the past

eg from the 60s, many beauties dont really eat collagen pills or powder, but nowadays, many using methods of invasive or pills to improve skin. but of course , many will argue skin/face is for daily meeting of people...but how about sex?

2 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

but how much can a bottle last?
all of u  have been doing raw and proven "prep" & safe using that (india) brand?

it is like buying something to encourage more raw/unsafe sex?
n it is like eating something , which naturally no one needs to do it in the past

eg from the 60s, many beauties dont really eat collagen pills or powder, but nowadays, many using methods of invasive or pills to improve skin. but of course , many will argue skin/face is for daily meeting of people...but how about sex?

How much can a bottle last?

Depending on your sexual habits or how you take it, it can last for a month to a few months. There are actually a few different proven ways to take PrEP - the most common way (and most effective) is to take it everyday.

However, many people who think PrEP is expensive do what is called event-based PrEP - where you take 2 pills 2-24 hours before you have sex, then 1 pill 24 hours after sex, and another pill 48 hours after sex. It has been proven to still be effective if taken this way. We have a section on all the four different ways here: https://getpreponline.com/prep-info/#howtotakeprep

All of u have been doing raw and proven "prep" & safe using that (india) brand?

Actually, the brand is tested and approved by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) as a generic version of Truvada (original PrEP). You can read about it here: https://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-truvada.html. Ricovir EM is manufactured by Mylan Pharms Inc (2nd company on the list)

Generics work the same way as the original drug - they have the same active ingredients Emtricitabine and Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. The only difference is the branding - Gilead which manufactured Truvada needs to sell it at a high price to recover their investment that went into research and production

It is like buying something to encourage more raw/unsafe sex?

This is actually one key issue many people have against PrEP. What we believe though is that individuals should at least have the choice of whether to be on PrEP or not. In London (and I'm sure in many other parts of the world as well), there are many people at high risk of HIV infection due to their lifestyle habits - chemsex parties, lots of sexual partners, drug injection etc. Without PrEP, they wouldn't even have a means to protect themselves. We want to give people the option to protect themselves by making PrEP more accessible and affordable.

Also, I've heard from many people who are taking PrEP because they want to have 100% peace of mind about protecting themselves from HIV. Especially if they're in an open relationship, or if they're in a committed relationship but have a worry that their partner might be cheating on them. Taking PrEP can help protect themselves mentally in this sense.

Hope that helps!

Yeah - that's if you're very sexually active and don't know when you might be having sex again, then it's good to take everyday. Personally, I do it when I'm travelling.

However, if you're not super active, but know when you might be meeting a guy for a hookup, then you can use event-based dosing to ration it better :-)

Guest Fruitguan
3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

but u mentioned gd to have 1 pill per day cos it is hard to predict when to have sexual activities

LOL, the Sheng Siong supermarket voucher whore is being so judgmental about people taking PREP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Vometra said:

Maybe becos it's too expensive?

How much would you price death or a life long worth of paying money each month for drug to keep you alive? Look at it from that perspective and suddenly it is not that expensive to take the drug or practice safe sex after all.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

18 hours ago, upshot said:

How much would you price death or a life long worth of paying money each month for drug to keep you alive? Look at it from that perspective and suddenly it is not that expensive to take the drug or practice safe sex after all.

It should not be a matter of pricing death or a life long chronic illness.  This PrEP should be subsidized (free) or at most charged at cost.  The drug industry is making already much money from HIV drugs, and it is logical that they don't look forward to a cure.  They have a large market of HIV+ people and now imagine...  a potential market of all the sexually active who DON'T have HIV!  What a windfall profit!

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It should not be a matter of pricing death or a life long chronic illness.  This PrEP should be subsidized (free) or at most charged at cost.  The drug industry is making already much money from HIV drugs, and it is logical that they don't look forward to a cure.  They have a large market of HIV+ people and now imagine...  a potential market of all the sexually active who DON'T have HIV!  What a windfall profit!

You think drug companies are a charity and non profit?

who is going to pay the people who spend their time and sacrifice family time to complete the reseearch  and testing. 

Are u nuts that drugs cost cheap?

1 hour ago, Guest nkuiyt said:

You think drug companies are a charity and non profit?

who is going to pay the people who spend their time and sacrifice family time to complete the reseearch  and testing. 

Oh... you break my heart!

I don't criticize the biochemists, biologists who sacrifice family time (?) who research, develop and test the drugs.

I criticize the CEOs and CFOs who plan which drugs to develop and how to commercialize them for their maximum personal indecent profit and that of their shareholders.

Could be the side effects if taking it long term like 5 to 10 yrs even papers said it is safe any drugs taken everyday will have some effects. This drug is too "new" to see the side effects. Also it only prevent HIV only not STIs or STDs and to take everyday not to be missed.

• G_M changed the title to PREP / Truvada Discussion (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
On 8/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, Prepster said:

However, many people who think PrEP is expensive do what is called event-based PrEP - where you take 2 pills 2-24 hours before you have sex, then 1 pill 24 hours after sex, and another pill 48 hours after sex. It has been proven to still be effective if taken this way. We have a section on all the four different ways here: https://getpreponline.com/prep-info/#howtotakeprep

I’m not very sexually active, but I’m taking prep as a secondary measure to stay negative.

Also, I do enjoy the chance of doing it raw with selective person ... and yes, both side understand of the consequences.

Regular STI check every 3 months is still mandatory.

I quoted above statement since I received email from my clinic about above trial/survey on what I would think if given choice as above ... the call it ‘on demand’ , instead of taking Prep daily.

maybe after more time and research done for above timing, I will switch.

considering I’m not that actively looking with strangers.

Edited by Ben S

23 hours ago, Ben S said:

I’m not very sexually active, but I’m taking prep as a secondary measure to stay negative.

Also, I do enjoy the chance of doing it raw with selective person ... and yes, both side understand of the consequences.

Regular STI check every 3 months is still mandatory.

I quoted above statement since I received email from my clinic about above trial/survey on what I would think if given choice as above ... the call it ‘on demand’ , instead of taking Prep daily.

maybe after more time and research done for above timing, I will switch.

considering I’m not that actively looking with strangers.

maybe u felt extremely comfy w in/out hosp/clinics?

Proponents and opponents of PREP both have their cases to state. This thread is not aimed at "converting" anyone to PREP.  It provides accurate and relevant information for those who want to know bit more about PREP. To this end, prepster has been very helpful.

My more-than-two-cents worth, for those who are interested:

1 Original Truvada is available in Thailand for slightly more than SGD100.

2 Generic Ricovir made in India and generic Teno-Em made in Thailand are well regarded by medical professionals to be good generics. They are available for less than SGD50 in Thailand.

3 PREP use should be medically supervised. Its use can be associated with kidney/liver dysfunction, albeit rare and usually minor.

4 PREP should never replace safe sex practices, but it is an important alternative for those who have made a deliberated decision to have raw sex

Edited by gc0805

6 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

maybe u felt extremely comfy w in/out hosp/clinics?

I'm not sure what's the purpose of your comment/question ?

To add on, for people taking Prep, they monitor the kidney function, so, at start, it will be every 3 months check for urine sample.

Edited by Ben S
add info

• G_M changed the title to PREP / Truvada Discussion : All discussion on PrEP & it's side effects(Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.