Male HQ

Thousands queue to register for Avengers: Infinity War red carpet event at Marina Bay Sands

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This is what Singapore is becoming! It is heading to a downward spiral! Singaporeans are all wasting time! So many people can do this on a weekday don't they have to work or study? This goes to show so many are unemployed and not in schools! The constant pursuit on GDP is hurting our spirit! Gone are the good old days!

------------------

Toggle navigation

Thousands queue to register for Avengers: Infinity War red carpet event at Marina Bay Sands

1 of 7
dummy.gif

Snaking queue formed at the Marina Bay Sands by eager fans wanting register for the Avengers: Infinity War red carpet event.ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

PUBLISHED
6 HOURS AGO
UPDATED
32 MIN AGO

SINGAPORE - Thousands of fans turned up early on Monday (April 16) for a chance to attend the Avengers: Infinity War red carpet event later at night, with some of Hollywood's biggest names set to be in attendance.

Queues formed outside the Marina Bay Sands (MBS) Expo and Convention Centre's Hall B before doors opened for registration at 7am.

Just before noon, organisers handed out the last of 4,000 available wristbands that grant access to the event to business student Thet Nyun Eain, 18.

The student from Myanmar, who has an accounting exam at 2pm, is unlike most fans who were there for the marquee actors.

“I hope to meet director Joe Russo and tell him how much I love his work, especially Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War,” she said. 

While the event is free and open to the public, fans are required to register in person for a non-transferable wristband to gain access, due to venue capacity limitations. Registration will be on a first come, first served basis. 

Those holding red wristbands will be given access to the event between 5pm and 6pm, and others with green wristbands will be able to enter the venue between 6pm and 7pm.

These fans will be able to meet some of the main cast members of the highly anticipated superhero movie.

The stars include Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Karen Gillan (Nebula), and Russo.

Technician Jason Foo, 31, who joined the queue at about 7.10am, said that he had specially taken a day off from work for a shot at attending his first red carpet event, where he hopes to meet the cast of his favourite childhood animated series up close.

jtiron160418_0.jpg Iron Man fan Jason Foo posing with a replica of the Infinity Gauntlet. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

"I've been a fan of the cartoon series since I was a kid in the 1990s. And to be able to get the chance to meet the cast in person would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It's almost like a dream come true," said Mr Foo, who counts Iron Man and Spider-Man as his personal favourites.

He added that he woke up at 4.30am to get ready and travel from his home in Chua Chu Kang to MBS, but was shocked to find over 1,000 people there when he arrived at 7am.

"I don't mind the long wait. I am just worried about the wristbands. If I manage to get registered, it will be all worth it," Mr Foo said.

For Ms Thet Nyun Eain, the film that kicked it all off for her was the first Iron Man movie that came out in 2008, when she was just eight years old, and big Hollywood films rarely made it to her home country of Myanmar.

jtexam160418.jpg “I hope to meet director Joe Russo and tell him how much I love his work, especially Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War,” said Thet Nyun Eain. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

“The film inspired me to be who I want to be," she said.

By 10.30am, queues were still seen snaking in the convention hall, albeit in an orderly manner. 

This was in contrast to when the doors first opened and there was pushing and shoving by eager fans to get in. 

“At one point I was pressed up against the wall,” said 17-year-old student Nur Eryna Kherman, who started queueing at 7am with her friends. 

jtgaunt160418.jpg From left: Nurul Basyirah, Fenellie Keogh, and Nur Eryna Bte Kherman, who started queueing at 7am. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

But once she made it into the hall, the queues were organised and it took them about two hours to register for wristbands.

Those who registered received a goodie bag with a foam gauntlet and poncho. An SMS will also be sent from 4pm reminding them about entry time to the event plaza. 

Ms Eryna, who is a Benedict Cumberbatch fan, said: “I’m happy that I’m going to see them face to face and not on the screen.

“They’re not just a character in a movie anymore, it’ll be a different experience seeing them in the flesh.”

Mr Tommy Dharmawan, 29, flew in from Jakarta the moment the event was announced last month.

Sporting a Guardians of the Galaxy T-shirt, he arrived at 6.30am and spent around two hours in the queue to collect his wristband. 

Mr Dharmawan, who will be spending the next few hours waiting around MBS, hopes to meet Karen Gillan who plays Nebula at the fan event.

He feels “she will help the Avengers in this upcoming film”, even though she is portrayed as a villain

The outlet manager, who has watched all the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), is also excited about Marvel parent company Walt Disney’s acquisition of a majority of 21st Century Fox’s assets in December last year. 

“That way the X-Men can join the MCU, just like in the comic books.”

SUBSCRIBE TOTHE STRAITS TIMES

call 6388-3838 or click here
arrow-up.svg

FOLLOW ST

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Straits Times

SPH Digital News / Copyright © 2018 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved

Queueing for a meet-the-fans session is hardly something morally wrong. There are far worse evils all over the world.

You need to broaden your perspective.

Try to see the positive side of things, like in the article below:

Robert Downey Jr swears in critically ill Singapore children as honorary Avengers

robert-downey-jr-and-make-a-wish-childre

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/lifestyle/robert-downey-jr-swears-in-make-a-wish-children-avengers-10140090

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, CKW said:

Queueing for a meet-the-fans session is hardly something morally wrong. There are far worse evils all over the world.

You need to broaden your perspective.

Try to see the positive side of things, like in the article below:

Robert Downey Jr swears in critically ill Singapore children as honorary Avengers

robert-downey-jr-and-make-a-wish-childre

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/lifestyle/robert-downey-jr-swears-in-make-a-wish-children-avengers-10140090

The singapore of now is different from the old singapore. These thousands of people can be more productive, spent time studying or do charity work! If all these thousands spent these wasted hours helping the needy and charity, it will be in extra tens of thousands of hours! How much the needy and poor will benifit! The government in the pursuit if money threw away all these precious hours for what? To load the americans with money!

Please, if these americans want to do charity, will they invite so much press? Not only they want to milk all the money we have, they made us waste tens of thousands of manhours!

Guest IronLady
38 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

The singapore of now is different from the old singapore. These thousands of people can be more productive, spent time studying or do charity work! If all these thousands spent these wasted hours helping the needy and charity, it will be in extra tens of thousands of hours! How much the needy and poor will benifit! The government in the pursuit if money threw away all these precious hours for what? To load the americans with money!

Please, if these americans want to do charity, will they invite so much press? Not only they want to milk all the money we have, they made us waste tens of thousands of manhours!

Stop whining here, go spend your time do charity work as you have mentioned in your post.

• G_M changed the title to Thousands queue to register for Avengers: Infinity War red carpet event at Marina Bay Sands
Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest IronLady said:

Stop whining here, go spend your time do charity work as you have mentioned in your post.

Why am I whining? Stating my point of views, observations and advises is whining? I have an indepth knowledge in world view. My observations on the social and political situations are respected and sort after. You should be grateful that I am offering you my observations on singapore society.

As of now many thhousands are wasting time and effort and money on a hollywood movie! 

Guest Sian liao

These Super heroes thingy is really getting old and boring. Not sure what’s the excitement about after so many years. Those Actors and Actresses are not even acting, more like entertaining instead. Like singers who can really sing vs singers who entertain. 

And all these fans, fans being fans, not sure what support do the franchise wants from them,  not like fans is able to sleep with the actors/actresses, likely just get photos/signature which will collect dust in the storeroom in a few years time. 

We we all know what’s gonna happen. The good always wins. 

On ‎16‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Guest Sian liao said:

These Super heroes thingy is really getting old and boring. Not sure what’s the excitement about after so many years. Those Actors and Actresses are not even acting, more like entertaining instead. Like singers who can really sing vs singers who entertain. 

And all these fans, fans being fans, not sure what support do the franchise wants from them,  not like fans is able to sleep with the actors/actresses, likely just get photos/signature which will collect dust in the storeroom in a few years time. 

We we all know what’s gonna happen. The good always wins. 

It just show there is a lack of good theme, script and originality....at least they should twist the ending where the bad guys win for once.....as long as these firm makers can make profits from this kind of show, they will continue to produce them and the audience without a abetter choice will have to watch them....from the queue, it looks like the majority are teenager and kids, their parent are busy making money and they are busy spending money, so ya that's what our economy needs :whistle:

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

It just show there is a lack of good theme, script and originality....at least they should twist the ending where the bad guys win for once.....as long as these firm makers can make profits from this kind of show, they will continue to produce them and the audience without a abetter choice will have to watch them....from the queue, it looks like the majority are teenager and kids, their parent are busy making money and they are busy spending money, so ya that's what our economy needs :whistle:

These people should use their time to do charity work and use the money spent on these useless events to help the needy! All these will only feed the fat wallets of these actors pf hollywood and MBS! Imagine the thousands and thousands of needy that would benifited 8f these thousands wete to do charity instead! Singapore of the past will not spend hours on such wasteful activities but will be devoted in helping society and the needy. Looks like our government in the pursuit of gdp and wealth and made the new singapore a country where its citizens go crazy over such useless things. I get so depress over this!

Guest Guess

Hope that they would get the last Marvel’s ten anniversary film - Ant -Man and the Wasp cast - Paul Rudd, Michelle Pfeiffer , etc in July here as well 

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest Guess said:

Hope that they would get the last Marvel’s ten anniversary film - Ant -Man and the Wasp cast - Paul Rudd, Michelle Pfeiffer , etc in July here as well 

I will not be surprise if you are part of the marketing team of this Hollywood movie! Stop all these nonsense and pollute our young in doing such uselesa activities!

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I will not be surprise if you are part of the marketing team of this Hollywood movie! Stop all these nonsense and pollute our young in doing such uselesa activities!

So are you part of that marketing team, starting this thread and spreading news here to create awareness/excitement in this community?

Guest La La Land

These are pampered kids with lots of time to burn. Their parents either very rich or they are just not ready to face the real world adventure but to rely on a fake one from the movies.

• Guest locked this topic