Male HQ

Tibet - All On Tibet Compiled

mature30

Generally Tibet is the "roof of the world' .The Tibetans went on to convert an entire people -- the Mongols -- despite being weakened by civil war and fighting between different schools of Tibetan Buddhism.In 1951, Chinese Communist armies entered Lhasa, and the prophecy began to unfold. A revolt against Chinese rule rose in Kham (eastern Tibet) 5 years later, and Dalai Lama XIV (b. 1935) fled for India in March 1959, soon after the Great Prayer (Monlam) was celebrated in Lhasa. Tibet's darkest hour was the Cultural Revolution (1966-76), known to the Tibetans as the time when "the sky fell to earth." Monks and nuns were tortured, executed, and imprisoned. Monasteries were looted and razed, and a vast body of Tibetan art was lost. Adding to the pain is the fact that many Tibetans, either willingly or coerced, participated in the destruction.

The recent political unrest in Tibet will jeoroardise the influx of touris into Tibet.China blamed Tibetan "mobs" for the deaths of 13 people in violent anti-Chinese rioting on Friday, while Tibetan exiles have said around 100 people, possibly more -- were killed as China quashed the protests.The Dalai Lama was speaking just hours after Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao blamed him for an explosion of protests and rioting in Tibet, and said Beijing will only hold talks with the spiritual leader if he gives up independence ambitions.

Macro economic tourism in Tibet has high positive and negative impact on its influence of currency exchange rates,exchange control policies ,interest rates ,inflation , balance of payments and

income and employment levels.Such anti-Han Chinese movement will definitely create chao and worsen to travel & tourism environmentsin Tibet.

Looks like the China is covering the real situation up, China seems to braodcast the situation is getting back to normal, children return to schools, but no sure if it is true. It has been a fact that China and North Korea tends to cover things up and filter the news to their advantage. So we do not know the real situation, should it carry over to Olympic that will be finished for China. The bird net like Olympic building established is certainly ugly and Feng-Sui negative - I sense some disaster for the Beijing Olympic, wait and see.

This is a sad case. I just came back from Tibet less than 1 month ago. On one hand, i saw the serene life of the Tibetans and pledging their life to Buddhism. On the other hand, China govt is controlling the land so closely. Such a pity...

Koh Samui, I need u...

This is a sad case. I just came back from Tibet less than 1 month ago. On one hand, i saw the serene life of the Tibetans and pledging their life to Buddhism. On the other hand, China govt is controlling the land so closely. Such a pity...

Where are the pics dear? We want pics. No WE DEMAND pics! :lol:

My family (siblings lah) and I were planning to go take that train from Qinghai to Lhasa. Now I have excuse not to go. :twisted: Lucky haven't book yet.

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

What Panda9791 mentioned is true whereby controlling the autonomous states with alot of restriction.Tibet is strong religious background whereas the Greater China is under communism influences.Cutural differences in this big piece ofl land which under one central government is very difficult....

My family (siblings lah) and I were planning to go take that train from Qinghai to Lhasa. Now I have excuse not to go. :twisted: Lucky haven't book yet.

Lungker

I think is not the right time to go now .We all belong to Han 汉 decendent,so better avoid the place tentatively. Wellif you want the feeling of Tibetan Cultural,I would strongly suggest you go to Bhutan instead .You may want to find the info from websearch engine...

Cheers :thumb:

HI Lungker

Idun know how to load the pix.However u may go to googles search enginen type keyword 'Tibet riot picture'...plenty of riot pix...

My dear Lungker, i wanna show u my pics in person mah :P And oh yes, i took the 26 hrs train up from Qinhai to Lhasa. I personally thought i was proud of myself for being able to tahan this ride... i can't even tahan a 1 hr bus ride from Geylang to Bouna Vista.

Mature30, it's right to suggest Bhutan as an alternative. I am planning to go to Bhutan next year. But i must say the feeling in Tibet is somehow different. I like to think the ultra-thin air and high altitude got something to do with it. As for being descendants of Han or not, it doesn't really matter... people now don't think this way over there.

Actually i have been thinking if i should post some of my pics here. Coz i got this pic of a really cute curator guy i took during a muslim mosque trip in Qinghai. I didn't know one-third of Qinghai is Muslims!

Edited by Panda_9791

Koh Samui, I need u...

Wheyyy how come dear lungker only har? we all wan to see too ;)

My dear Lungker, i wanna show u my pics in person mah :P And oh yes, i took the 26 hrs train up from Qinhai to Lhasa. I personally thought i was proud of myself for being able to tahan this ride... i can't even tahan a 1 hr bus ride from Geylang to Bouna Vista.

Actually i have been thinking if i should post some of my pics here. Coz i got this pic of a really cute curator guy i took during a muslim mosque trip in Qinghai. I didn't know one-third of Qinghai is Muslims!

Mature30, it's right to suggest Bhutan. I am planning to go Bhutan next year. But i must say the feeling in Tibet is somewhere different. I like to think to ultra-thin air and high altitude got something to do with it. As for being descendants of Han or not, it doesn't really matter... people now don't think this way over there.

Panda 9791

Tks for the posting.Please share with us ur photo in QingHai and Lhasa.

Lungker

Please see this link for some riot photos

Cheers

Hi All, I'm pleased to share some of my trip photos here. By the way, my passage to tibet is SG -> Chengdu -> Lhasa and vice versa.

So my 1st stop is Chengdu and once reached there, tour guide brought us to the Guan Yu/ Zhu Ge Liang Temple. Nothing spectacular, so didn't take pictures. Next stop, Chengdu Panda Breeding Institute! Yeah! I was so excited to see my fav animal in real life. Good thing is that when we reached there, it was the afternoon feeding time, so all of them were out and playing around (this is quite rare, pandas are extremely lethargic). Please enjoy the photos as the below link. :)

Panda Land

I shall post the next leg of my trip in awhile. That will be Qinghai, Xining and the Qingzang Railway.

Koh Samui, I need u...

The act of China is pretty much like north Korean, I do not think it is a racial issue as remember the 1987 Tian An Mon Affair/tragedy, China kills Chinese as well, so it should not be a racial issue but they happened to be different race. I forsee the China Olympic will suffer from this and also the air pollution - outdoor sports will be halted if the air is dirty - announced today in TV. If China cannot succeed in Olymic this year, coupled with the Gyo-sa problem ( food poisoning ), the China economy and image will be at stake.

Panda 9791

Tks for the posting.Please share with us ur photo in QingHai and Lhasa.

Lungker

Please see this link for some riot photos

Cheers

Mature30,

Thanks for your concerns. Actually, like you, I have been keeping up with the news of what's happening in Tibet. It is one country I had been very keen to visit - not so much as a 4 days tourist, but as a visitor spending a couple of weeks there.

This all started when I read the book "The Third Eye" supposedly written by a Tibetan monk Tuesday Lobsang Rampa when I only in secondary 3. During an oratorical contest during secondary 4, I drew a card from the box and the topic was "Which country would you most like to visit and why?"

Remembering details of the book, I started on a 3 minutes unprepared speech about why I would like to visit Tibet. At the end of my speech, one of the judges told me and the audience that although Tibet is not technically a country, I would not be disqualified. She also told the rest of the contestants, if they were to draw the same topic again, they can change the topic to "Which country or region would you like to visit...." I came in third place.

Later on in life, I would learn a lot more about this exotic place, the Dalai Lama (one of two people I would really like to meet during my life time (the other is Aung San Suu Kyi), the Tibetan government in exile now at Dharamsala and course the popular Hollywood movies made about Tibet.

One thing to note about the current situation in Tibet is that it has become not only a riot about national and religious identity, but also a race riot. It is true that monks and protestors were shot at, but it is also true that young Tibetan youths (not monks I hope) had burned and killed many ethnic Chinese merchants.

I hope those of you interested in Tibet would take time to read about the history of Tibet. Although it is true the Chinese had invaded Tibet in 1951, it is also true that Tibet had always been part of China for hundreds of years prior to the British exacting a wholly unfair treaty from the impoverished and weak Tibetan administration in 1904. Read a brief history of Tibet here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet

My personal view, but is not worth anything, is the Chinese government ought to re-open negotiations with the Dalai Lama regarding Tibet. The Dalai Lam ahd said he is not looking for independence from China, but want greater autonomy for Tibet, especially in the area of religious worship.

Below is a comment I posted to the NYTimes on this topic.

254. March 18th, 2008 3:23 pm

I think it is easier to get Israel to give up Jerusalem to the Arabs than to get China to grant independence to Tibet.

Like the Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics, boycotting Beijing's will ultimately achieve nothing.

The only way to really threaten China is for the US and the EU to impose stringent economic sanctions. But then again, they will incur the wrath of their corporations and citzens who are spoilt with well made and cheap products made in China.

It will take quiet and lengthy diplomacy from everyone who is concern about Tibet to achieve a long term and peaceful solution there.

— Lungker, Singapore

Mature30 and the rest of you guys who want to read an unbiased article about the Chinese in Tibet, read the link below. Definitely one of the best article I have read - written by an American teaching for two years in China.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/199902/tibet-china

=========================================================

Panda,

Thanks for the pics. Which one is you? :D We want more pics and we want it NOW! :hat:

Btw, you were supposed to give me a joy ride last year. I am all pre-lubed and ready. Call me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

============================================================

Andy,

Panda and I had a history lah... :rolleyes: Nothing sexual though.... :P

Lungker & Mature30,

I think this Tibet trip really made a difference in my life. If u been thinking about going there, stop thinking and just go! Ok maybe not now... go during May - Sept is the best. I think i almost killed myself by attempting this winter trip. hehe.... Besides being about to submerge myself in the beautiful world of buddhism, this was my 3rd trip with my bf and i can say it really solidify our bond, u know, going through the tough conditions like ultra cold weather, little oxygen, he falling sick and stuff...

==================================================================================================

My dear Lungker,

Patient lah my dear! Me not as IT savvy as u ok. It actually took me a long while to upload the pics... :blink: And yes, my ride is still waiting for your arse, but u keep flying out to gallivant in other islands... Will call u soon my dear.

==================================================================================================

Andy,

Yes, nothing sexual. Lungker has kept his pants on and mouth shut all these while... :P

Koh Samui, I need u...

"this was my 3rd trip with my bf and i can say it really solidify our bond"

BF???? BF??? How come I was never invited to the......oh never mind. :swear:

No wonder my joy ride never materialize. Hahaha.

Just kidding Panda. I am really happy for ya. You know I mean it. Muak.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

===============================================

Mature30,

I read the book way back in 1973. And the book did not belong to me. I belive it belong to a neighbour who lend it to my brother who left it lying around and I picked it up and just started reading it.

I think it might be available at the National Library. Sorry I don't have it.

Just to let you know, I found out much later that there were more to the author Lobsang Rampa than what I had originally thought. Don't want to spoil it for ya.

Thanks ED! I was worried that my pics would not match up to your Bkk pics... This is onyl part 1 of my trip pics and this part is at the Panda Breeding institute. Fyi, female pandas are only in heat few days in a year, so extremely rare to sight...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hi again :) Ok, now its the 2nd leg of my trip to Tibet. From Chengdu, i took a domestic flight to Xining, Qinghai. This leg is a small test to how well u can cope with Tibet's conditions. Xining is at a high altitude than Chengdu, but lower than Lhasa. But because its geographically more north then both Chengdu and Lhasa, the weather in Xining is f*#king cold! Do note that this year's winter is China's harshest in 50 years!

Xining, Qinghai

In Xining, i visited the largest mosque in Qinghai. Like i mentioned earlier, more than one-third of Qinghai are Muslims. Check out the curator! He told me he's "cut"... hehe... The interesting thing about the mosque is its unique mix of Chinese and Arabic architecture.

Next is the Ta’er Kumbun Monastery, birth place of the founder of the yellow sect. First eye-opening experience of Tibetan Buddhism for me. My tour guide said Tibetans will pray and kneel all the way from Tibet to this monastry in Qinghai! I saw it with my own eyes too. I can't take any photos inside the temples. So all these are outside the temple halls.

Next is the Qinghai Lake. This is by far the coldest i've been in this trip so far! It must have been like -10 degrees... But it's still amazing. All is frozen and white. I step onto the breakwater, looking out at the white frozen lake, snow covered mountains, cloudy white sky, cold piercing wind hitting my face... I have never known peace in this form... i was overwhelmed.

On the way back to hotel, we chanced upon the Tibetan Sky Burial Grounds. This place is kinda of eerie and its really out of nowhere. Basically and in really simple words, after a Tibetan died, most of them will chose sky burial. They carry the dead body to the burial grounds, Lamas chant, cut up the body, then the vultures will come eat it. Here's a very good piece on the burial process. Sky Burial

My next leg will be the train up to Lhasa, Tibet! Highest Rail in the World! And I f*#king did it! hahah...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Thanks for the very nice and rare pics Panda. Makes me wanna go there and check it out myself. But where are the pics of you and your main squeeze? :rolleyes:

Just a little suggestion about travel pics. Scenery and tourists sights are great but if possible, add in street scenes and ordinary people. Speaking for myself only, I especially love to see how people look in such exotic places - just like the mosque curator.

Cheers.

Hey Lungker, u really oughta check the place out yourself! But not now sweetie, too dangerous... As for me and BF pics, we didn't take any together. Most of the time i am taking him. Coz it was really really cold over there, there are many occasions where i just don't feel like taking out my gloves and wait and shoot... No kidding, it's that cold!

Yah, i did thought of taking pics of the normal daily life of tibetans. But they look kinda fierce leh... I don't wanna kenna attacked by them leh... my camera still so new... hahah. Next time bah. i will shoot the "human" sight.

ok, more tibet pics coming up...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hey Lungker, u really oughta check the place out yourself! But not now sweetie, too dangerous... As for me and BF pics, we didn't take any together. Most of the time i am taking him. Coz it was really really cold over there, there are many occasions where i just don't feel like taking out my gloves and wait and shoot... No kidding, it's that cold!

Yah, i did thought of taking pics of the normal daily life of tibetans. But they look kinda fierce leh... I don't wanna kenna attacked by them leh... my camera still so new... hahah. Next time bah. i will shoot the "human" sight.

ok, more tibet pics coming up...

Panda

Tks for the photo.Nice scenery....

Hi All, now my final installment of my Tibet pics! So now from Xining (Qinghai), i took the world's highest rail, the Qingzang Railway, to the capital city Lhasa. So the first few pics were taken from the train cabin. The train is fully filled with oxygen, so no worries about the altitude sickness yet. But i do feel a little giddy when the train reaches its highest point of 5,231m above sea level at Tanggula Pass (唐古拉山口). Nothing much to do in the train except looking at the scenery. The train has many small fold-down seats by the windows for passengers to sit and enjoy the scenery. There were a few stops along the way. I got down at one of the stops and took some pictures. I reach Lhasa at night and my Potala tour starts the next morning.

The 2 landmarks in Lhasa are Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple. Potala palace used to be the residence of the Dalai Lamas (before the exile of the 14th & current Dalai Lama), but now it serves as a museum. Jokhang Temple is the most important temple to Tibetans and is the key Buddhist pilgrimage centre. All the statues and decorations at the 2 places are magnificent. Too bad i can't take any pictures as its strictly prohibited.

Left Lhasa for Shigatse, another city of Tibet which is the hometown/funeral stupa of the Panchen Lamas. Now abit of the simple Lama history for u. Tibet is ruled by the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. They are collectively known as the "living Buddhas". Dalai Lama is in charge of the politics while Panchen Lama is in charge of the cultural side. The current Living Buddhas are the 14th Dalai Lama who is in exile and the 11th Panchen Lama who's still a teenager.

So that's it for my trip pics. Please enjoy and i would be glad to entertain your questions if i know the answers. :D

Lhasa, Tibet

Koh Samui, I need u...

Panda

Nice photos anyway.I think i wud have to wait after Olympic Games over then plan my trip to Tibet.Whic travel agent you book with?

Ack

Hi Mature30, i booked with Dynasty Travel. I went through many tour agencies and i found that they have the package which i like most i.e fly there then take the train, then fly back to SG. Plus the group size is only 4! Very exclusive and i think its good coz the tour guide can give us maximum attention.

Koh Samui, I need u...

Very very nice pics my friend. What did you do there that caused them to riot after you returned? :lol: Just kidding.

A point to note. All the palaces and big monasteries are fairly well kept in good condition to attract tourists and to appease the locals. I am torn by this. First and foremost they all look stunningly beautiful only because the Chinese government injected millions and millions of dollars to make them so. However, the locals hate the Chinese government and wish they were never there. But, if the Chinese government weren't pumping in the money, I don't think the palaces and the temples would be in such fine condition. I have no idea what is the right answer.

You do know that there are currently two Panchen Lamas - one that confirmed by the Dalai Lama, and the other "chosen" by the Chinese government. Excerpt from Wiki:

11th Panchen Lama

Following the unexpected death of the 10th Panchen Lama in 1989, the search for his reincarnation quickly became mired in political controversy. Chadrel Rinpoche, the head of the search committee, was able to secretly communicate with the Dalai Lama. However, after the Dalai Lama announced Gedhun Choekyi Nyima as the new Panchen Lama, Chinese authorities arrested Chadrel Rinpoche, who was replaced with Sengchen Lobsang Gyaltsen. Sengchen had been a political opponent of the previous Panchen Lama. The new search committee decided to ignore the Dalai Lama's announcement and choose the Panchen Lama from a list of finalists, which did not include Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, by drawing lots from the Golden Urn. Gyaltsen Norbu was announced as the search committee's choice on November 11, 1995.

The whereabouts of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima are unknown. The Government of Tibet in Exile claims that he and his family continue to be political prisoners, and has termed him the "youngest political prisoner in the world". The Chinese government claims that he is attending school and leading a normal life somewhere in China, and that his whereabouts are kept undisclosed to protect him.

Mature30, after Tibet, you might want to visit Sikkim, Bhutan or Nepal. These places have some similarities with Tibet.

My dear Lungker, U are right! Central govt does pump in alot of money into the upkeep all these historical sites. I can tell u, those stupas inside the monastery are from from dunno how many thousands of kg of gold, all sponsored by Central govt. As for the current Panchen Lama, the case was very played down over there.

Hey mature30,

Nay, i'm not cute lah, its the good camera! I must say this Pentax camera i'm using really is amazing. Even my photographer friend said the quality was good. Alot of pictures i just aim and click without taking much notice, because it's too cold to hold still and aim and shoot! Moreover, a -15 degree wind blowing at u is no f*#king joke man...

All in all, this Tibet trip is a dream come true. I saw Buddha statues so grand that i almost cried. Me and bf grew closer from this tough trip (he kenna altitude sickness almost everyday in Lhasa). I haven't smoke since CNY. So its a big change for me so far this year and i'm lovin' it! :thumb:

Koh Samui, I need u...

HI

Just find out following link of 10 good reasons to visit Tibet :

10 Reasons To Visit Tibet

1. Get shocked by the distinctive culture and austere life in this very religious region and encounter the most religious and devoted pilgrims
  2. Marvel at the mystical, magical Potala Palace soaring over the holy city of Lhasa, and feel the solemn ambience inside
  3. Join the pilgrims to the spiritual center of Tibet - the Jokhang Temple, and Barkhor- the holiest of Lhasa's devotional circuits
  4. Visit the three great monasteries of Tibetan - Drepung, Sera and Ganden Monasteries and watch monks debating in the traditional method
  5. Ascend and get overwhelmed by the beauty and majesty Gyantse's Kumbum Chorten, and enjoy the quiet and serene atmosphere
  6. Enjoy the intoxicating plateau natural scenery at the sacred, turquoise-blue Nam-tso Lake, the world's highest saltwater lake
  7. Gaze open-mouthed at the magnificent views of Mt Everest from Rongphu Monastery, the highest in the world
  8. Visit the active Tashilumpo Monastery at Shigatse and enjoying your shopping in the local markets
  9. Get up close to the locals, greeted by them in their traditional way and entertained with their typical food, getting to know what life is like on " the Rooftop of the world"
  10. Observe the rare and unique wildlife existing only in the harsh and challenging environment of Tibet on the earth

Hi

The situation in Tibet is getting worse.Read the following news :-

"ABOUT 40 protesters were detained after teenage students shouting 'Free Tibet' invaded a UN complex in the Nepalese capital on Friday, police said.

Kathmandu has seen almost daily protests outside UN offices by Tibetan exiles who are demanding that the world body probe the causes of violent anti-Chinese unrest that has shaken Tibet.

This was the first time that protesters managed to elude a heavy police presence around the UN complex and scale the high walls, a witness said."

sources http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews...0328-56804.html

...Such tourism environment would chase away the tourist/traveller.. :twisted:

Edited by mature30

• 3 years later...

Plan to have my annual pilgrimage to Tibet of China, wonder any problem for istersay / cross-dressers?

Sounds interesting, I would love to go visit Tibet someday myself.

You can finally try dressing in Dalai Lama's clothing too. Think of it as a cosplay convention.

Guys won't make you happy, they only make you high.

• 2 months later...

I read the news from Straits Times today.

Yesterday, Chinese government barred foreign tourists from travelling to Tibet until the end of next month. This is the second time this year the region has been closed to overseas visitors.

I browsed thru the lonelyplanet website and could not locate further info on this bar. If anyone plan to book a Tibet tour with travel agency, please confirm on this.

Guess this has to do with a few riots in the country recently, like Inner Mongolia, Guangzhou etc.

Yeah, is true, please refer to my topic Larry Pilgrimage dated 13th June.

Was not aware that you had been informed by your travel agent on the Tibet trip cancellation till you replied the thread. Thanks.

Just dig this news from lonelyplanet again today and finally found the confirmation that Tibet would be closed to foreigners till 26 July 2011.

======================================================================

Foreign tourists will be barred from going to Tibet until the end of July, travel agents said Monday, the second time this year the troubled region has been closed to overseas visitors.

"At the moment we're not admitting foreign tourists," an employee at China Travel Service in the regional capital Lhasa told AFP by phone, adding the agency had received a notice saying this would be enforced until July 26.

A worker at the Tibet Youth Travel Service agency confirmed the ban, saying it begins on Tuesday and was linked to celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of China's rule over Tibet, reportedly scheduled for July.

The official Global Times newspaper quoted the Lhasa-based manager of a travel website as saying they would not accept tourists holding foreign passports until mid-August due to "safety concerns."

The regional tourism bureau refused to comment when contacted by AFP, and a spokesman for the Tibetan government said he was unaware of the situation.

Tensions run deep in Tibet, where many Tibetans accuse the government of trying to dilute their culture, and cite concern about what they view as increasing domination by China's majority Han ethnic group.

Disquiet spilled over into violent anti-government riots in Lhasa in March 2008, which then spread to neighbouring provinces with significant Tibetan populations.

In the wake of the 2008 unrest, foreign tourists were banned from travelling to the Himalayan region for more than 12 months.

In March this year, Tibet was once again closed to foreigners ahead of the third anniversary of the riots, but travel agencies said overseas visitors had been able to visit from April to June.

Even when foreigners are allowed in, authorities require them to obtain special permits - in addition to Chinese visas - and also travel in tour groups.

China, which says living standards in the region have improved markedly since it started ruling the region in 1951, has increased security in Tibetan areas since the 2008 unrest.

But reports of unrest still surface. One region in the southwestern province of Sichuan was hit by demonstrations earlier this year after a Tibetan monk self-immolated and died in an apparent anti-government protest.

• 2 years later...

Mature30,

Thanks for your concerns. Actually, like you, I have been keeping up with the news of what's happening in Tibet. It is one country I had been very keen to visit - not so much as a 4 days tourist, but as a visitor spending a couple of weeks there.

This all started when I read the book "The Third Eye" supposedly written by a Tibetan monk Tuesday Lobsang Rampa when I only in secondary 3. During an oratorical contest during secondary 4, I drew a card from the box and the topic was "Which country would you most like to visit and why?"

Remembering details of the book, I started on a 3 minutes unprepared speech about why I would like to visit Tibet. At the end of my speech, one of the judges told me and the audience that although Tibet is not technically a country, I would not be disqualified. She also told the rest of the contestants, if they were to draw the same topic again, they can change the topic to "Which country or region would you like to visit...." I came in third place.

Later on in life, I would learn a lot more about this exotic place, the Dalai Lama (one of two people I would really like to meet during my life time (the other is Aung San Suu Kyi), the Tibetan government in exile now at Dharamsala and course the popular Hollywood movies made about Tibet.

One thing to note about the current situation in Tibet is that it has become not only a riot about national and religious identity, but also a race riot. It is true that monks and protestors were shot at, but it is also true that young Tibetan youths (not monks I hope) had burned and killed many ethnic Chinese merchants.

I hope those of you interested in Tibet would take time to read about the history of Tibet. Although it is true the Chinese had invaded Tibet in 1951, it is also true that Tibet had always been part of China for hundreds of years prior to the British exacting a wholly unfair treaty from the impoverished and weak Tibetan administration in 1904. Read a brief history of Tibet here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet

My personal view, but is not worth anything, is the Chinese government ought to re-open negotiations with the Dalai Lama regarding Tibet. The Dalai Lam ahd said he is not looking for independence from China, but want greater autonomy for Tibet, especially in the area of religious worship.

Below is a comment I posted to the NYTimes on this topic.

254. March 18th, 2008 3:23 pm

I think it is easier to get Israel to give up Jerusalem to the Arabs than to get China to grant independence to Tibet.

Like the Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics, boycotting Beijing's will ultimately achieve nothing.

The only way to really threaten China is for the US and the EU to impose stringent economic sanctions. But then again, they will incur the wrath of their corporations and citzens who are spoilt with well made and cheap products made in China.

It will take quiet and lengthy diplomacy from everyone who is concern about Tibet to achieve a long term and peaceful solution there.

— Lungker, Singapore

Mature30 and the rest of you guys who want to read an unbiased article about the Chinese in Tibet, read the link below. Definitely one of the best article I have read - written by an American teaching for two years in China.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/199902/tibet-china

=========================================================

Panda,

Thanks for the pics. Which one is you? biggrin.gif We want more pics and we want it NOW! :hat:

Btw, you were supposed to give me a joy ride last year. I am all pre-lubed and ready. Call me. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

============================================================

Andy,

Panda and I had a history lah... :rolleyes: Nothing sexual though.... tongue.gif

Had a very interesting read from your post.

I wonder if the world would look at China differently if the same autonomy given to Shanghai, Macau and Hong Kong was given to Tibet.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Part of the old route of the highway 318 (川藏南線) from Chengdu to Tibet has been closed forever after the completion of a few newly built tunnels like高爾寺山隧道 and 剪子山隧道. The recent one will be the opening of the new tunnel剪子彎山隧道 in March 2015.

Those new tunnels are built to bypass the dangerous mountaineous routes where landslides and avalanche are common in Tibet

and west Si Chuan. It also saves a lot of time too. In the past, it took 2 days to travel from Chengdu to Li Tang () via the old route (Rest one night at Kang Ding). According to the info, it only takes about 10 hours from Chengdu to Litang.

Edited by Sun

• 1 month later...

China eyeing Tibet-Nepal railway

A railway between China and Nepal that could include a tunnel under Mount Everest is under consideration, Chinese state media said on Thursday, as Beijing builds links with a country India regards as firmly within its sphere of influence.

The Qinghai-Tibet railway already links the rest of China with the Tibetan capital Lhasa and beyond, and an extension running as far as the international border is already being planned "at Nepal's request", the China Daily newspaper reported, quoting an expert at the Chinese Academy of Engineering.

This is expected to be completed by 2020, it cited a Tibetan official as saying.

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi visited Kathmandu in December and, according to Nepalese reports, said the line could eventually be extended to the Nepalese capital and further, potentially providing a crucial link between China and the huge markets of India.

Such a plan could see a tunnel being built under Mount Everest, the China Daily said.

"The line will probably have to go through Qomolangma so that workers may have to dig some very long tunnels," expert Wang Mengshu told the newspaper, referring to Everest by its Tibetan name.

A group of local residents arrive to take a look at the  newly opened Lhasa train station, in Tibet,  …

He said that, due to the challenging Himalayan terrain with its "remarkable" changes in elevation, trains on any line to Kathmandu would probably have a maximum speed of 120 kilometres per hour.

The proposal underscores China's influence in the impoverished Himalayan nation, where Beijing has for years been building roads and investing billions of dollars in hydropower and telecommunications.

Chinese tourism to Nepal, which is home to eight of the world's 14 peaks over 8,000 metres, is also climbing.

Beijing's increasing role has raised alarms in New Delhi that China, already closely allied to Pakistan, is forging closer economic ties with Sri Lanka, the Maldives and Nepal in a deliberate strategy to encircle India.

In an apparent counter-move, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged late last year that South Asia's largest economy would fund a series of regional investments and free up its markets to its neighbours' exporters.

But India has struggled to compete with China's financial muscle.

Chinese plans to expand the rail network in Tibet have also come under criticism from rights groups including the International Campaign for Tibet, which has warned of the project's "dangerous implications for regional security and the fragile ecosystem of the world's highest and largest plateau".

"The Chinese government's claim that rail expansion on the plateau simply benefits tourism and lifts Tibetans out of poverty does not hold up to scrutiny and cannot be taken at face value," ICT president Matteo Mecacci said in a statement last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a long shot, but would love to try...

I am planning to visit Tibet mid May next year, for about 10 days. The weather is nice and quite cooling then, lesser visitors too. Will need to make some advance arrangements like applying for annual leave and such.

Would love to have travel buddy/buddies, for company and to care for each other on highlands. Possibly someone mentally mature, above age 30 preferred and is easy going. Will be good to meet in advance to see if we do click in person which i feel is essential for such a trip.

Do private me to chat further, if the travel date fits yours and you are keen to explore what is been suggested above. No obligations.

This is a long shot, but would love to try...

I am planning to visit Tibet mid May next year, for about 10 days. The weather is nice and quite cooling then, lesser visitors too. Will need to make some advance arrangements like applying for annual leave and such.

Would love to have travel buddy/buddies, for company and to care for each other on highlands. Possibly someone mentally mature, above age 30 preferred and is easy going. Will be good to meet in advance to see if we do click in person which i feel is essential for such a trip.

Do private me to chat further, if the travel date fits yours and you are keen to explore what is been suggested above. No obligations.

Was there 3 years ago in Nov, pretty awesome place.  Enjoy your trip!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.