Male HQ

Pop Songs & Music Videos

Guest like you

To the guys who are interested..

Growing up in multi-lingual, multi-cultural Singapore in the 60s, I experienced a shift in music genres...it was the Beatles, Elvis, Cliff Richards on the radio.  As I stepped into my teenage years, there was Abba, Carpenters, Eagles.  Moving forward to 80s, who can deny the existence of Whitney, Mariah..  Not forgetting all the British invasions - Tear for Fear, Wham...  

Then I turned the 30s and beyond, hip-hop and rap music came and I was a complete outsider.  Except for a few radio-friendly tunes, I was totally lost..yo-yo-man...  That is only one side of the story.  I went through Taiwanese, Japanese and Hong Kong pop throughout the 60s to now.  That is now replaced by K-pop and Thai-pop.  More on the cards... Gospel music from church, classical music from flirting with white guys in the old Victoria Concert Hall and now, the Esplanade. 

So I'm proud to be a Singaporean and proud that I have a very mixed dose of music and culture from all over the world.  Of course, nowadays with too many radio stations + Youtube, I hope I have more time for Bach and Wagner, Mamma Mia, and Madonna.

++++++++++++++

To that older man, this was that song of the 80s for me.

Frances Yip's Shanghai Bund 上海滩... she is 71 years old now and I shall be attending her concert next week.  I had to master the karaoke version as it was a must to sing at gatherings whenever I'm in China.  This song was translated to more than 10 different languages and every now and then receives a new revival.  

The original 1980 version

The Thai version ..some horrible singing by the man..

This is the lastest version - from a China serial.

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Adam Levine, now an uncle of 39 (no offence, Singalion),  came up with Maroon 5 when he was already an adult, at 23

I rather listen to what the young 17 year old Mendelssohn wrote, especially when it is such a heavenly music out of this world.

How did you know I hated to be called "Uncle". I always tell the mums when they tell their kid "Oh the uncle..." I m not an uncle.

but there is another thread on that topic here.

Adam Levine wasted his first 17 years after he had reached the age of 17 in chasing for skirts probably instead of focusing on creating music or just creating that one sort of music...

Steve: Music is like food. You like it or you don't. classic is not everybodies taste. But you know, the kids nowadays have never explored other music, what do you expect. A young chap once told me: Nah, the music is not relevant but the video. ok.

I enjoy a classical concert in the right setting. But at home you are mostly surrounded by pop or rock.

I m of the sort that would prefer sitting in a bar/pub and listening some chaps playing some cool jazz music (not from anyone famous), sip on a drink, chat with friends. I just think that the instrumental music is still more an art than that computer aided music from today. There is a simple synthesizer tune, put a nice guy type of guy as a singer and later on 50 others will copy that sound and style, nearly same girly boy voice, moving his hips here and there on a video, some cars driving fast around, half nude girls... on the video...  ( I could choreograph the video already right?)...

But I think it should be good to being able to play an instrument or even being a trained singer.

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) was a fortune teller I assume (Money for nothing, chicks for free)...

Here in Asia we even suffer more from that K pop wave (Luckily it cooled down after some stars committed suicide...)

But somehow these "new" tunes come and go faster out of your head...

The guys (artists) must be seen as cool, the video must be great, give them some tatoos and let them do some stupid things for their image... then you got a star nowadays.

We don;'t even know whether they really are the singers. I have seen some acts on youtube with some live performances from some of these "stars" and I thought, hm, can he really sing good?

Guest innocence

Listening to this song, remind me about my secondary school day. So much memories. all the good ones. every one is good to each other. so much different to the working world. tears welling up in my eyes as I reminisce those days.  Really miss those days. so much innocence during those times.

Guest innocence

The first song that introduced me to world of Jay Chou. My father told me, you know what he was singing meh? cause I don't know mandarin. till now this song still give me the Goosebumps. Really like those day. I miss those days...

• G_M changed the title to Pop Songs & Music Videos
  • Guest locked this topic
  • 3 years later...

1 in 1993, 1 in 1994.

U say leh?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Copycat

The similaries are the 1st sentence and arrange of both songs.

both songs are soothing and nice but Fays’s has the 空靜虛無飄渺 feel and sounds better to me. 

faye tends to "borrow" from the west a lot anyway in the 90s and 00s.

The Cranberries, Sinead o'Connor, Cocteau Twins, Bjork, Madonna etc.

not just sound and production, but even styles and visuals.

after the rise of internet and globalisation, it is harder to do.

so now she only sings soundtracks and buddhist mantras haha.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Mamasan
On 4/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Faye the best,  a pity she retire too early,  always got the "buay song" look and "ai lai mai sua" attitude., like. 

She buay song, because so far got no.cock can fuck her really.hard and fuck.her upside down , diu dou kui , kiu kua kua kiew.

She needs the Hitachi magic wand.

That will fix her and put a smile on the corners of her mouth.

• G_M unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.