Male HQ

Thai cave rescue saga

Guest pratheepong

On 10/14/2018 at 6:09 AM, Guest Sigh said:

It is regrettable that these young people has became international celebrity when so many people have sacrificed their time, money and even life to save 13 of them out of the most dangerous cave.  

Regrettable?

We should reflect that if not for a very fortunate combination of events these young boys would be dead now instead of being happy international celebrities. 

The natural course would have been that they had all perished, maybe not even found, and universal time would not have missed one microsecond over this. 

How little value a human life has except for ourselves!  So many thousands die every day, without making a difference.  We should appreciate being what we are!

These 13 young people could be the elite students of an ivy-league school in an exclusively rich neighborhood.  Instead... they are among undesirable illegal rejects without any nationality.  Is there any moral justification that we are any better off than they are?  Don't they deserve the best, like each of us?

On 7/14/2018 at 6:44 AM, Guest Broken heart said:

The manly 25 yo Coach speaks with a high pitch girly voice.  Hmmmmmm

This comes to show that someone with a high pitch girly voice can also be manly.

It's not how his voice sounds, but how he acts.  And he acted great!

Guest InBangkok
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

These 13 young people could be the elite students of an ivy-league school in an exclusively rich neighborhood.  Instead... they are among undesirable illegal rejects without any nationality.  Is there any moral justification that we are any better off than they are?  Don't they deserve the best, like each of us?

What on earth are you talking about?

Illegal rejects? Thailand certainly has a massive number of illegal immigrants mostly in the north and mostly from the decades of fighting by the Burmese army against the hill tribes near their border. Four of those trapped in the cave did not have Thai nationality. But how do you think they managed to get to Argentina last week and the USA? Some weeks earlier there was a presentation ceremony when the Thai government gave all four Thai nationality. Not one is an illegal reject! Being able to meet one of their idols, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, one of the greatest soccer players of our day, plus the amazing opportunity to attend both a training session of the LA Galaxy team and watch one of their matches must be a huge event in their young lives. With great family, school and community support behind them, I believe these boys are wonderful ambassadors for Thailand.

As for the poster who complains about the boys getting special treatment when thousands played their part in their rescue, most of the foreigners have already been treated to free flights and vacations in Thailand for themselves and their families. The many thousands of local people who played their parts were brought to Bangkok last month for a massive celebration. Many of these will never have been to Bangkok before.

The facts are easy to find. Sometimes people just write what comes into their head without even bothering to check!

47 minutes ago, Guest InBangkok said:

What on earth are you talking about?

I was talking about the condition of these young people before the cave event. Destiny had placed them in very unfavorable circumstances, while after the rescue we learned what a fine group of individuals they are.  Contrary to regrettable, the whole episode was a great success, with all benefiting from it (except for the family of the drowned diver).  But this was a unique, very rare case.  Why isn't it the other way around, with this success being the norm?

7 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

As for the poster who complains about the boys getting special treatment when thousands played their part in their rescue, most of the foreigners have already been treated to free flights and vacations in Thailand for themselves and their families. The many thousands of local people who played their parts were brought to Bangkok last month for a massive celebration. Many of these will never have been to Bangkok before.

The facts are easy to find. Sometimes people just write what comes into their head without even bothering to check!

I hope u r not referring to me.

Much as the boys were victims of a natural disaster, what signal will be sent out by rewarding them?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

22 minutes ago, fab said:

I hope u r not referring to me.

Much as the boys were victims of a natural disaster, what signal will be sent out by rewarding them?

He should not be referring to you.  You said very correctly that the rescuers and the family of the deceased diver are the most deserving of honors and gifts.

As for the boys, maybe what is sent out are not signals, but a desire to spoil them out of joy of having them alive, and praising them for having been so courageous. 

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

He should not be referring to you.  You said very correctly that the rescuers and the family of the deceased diver are the most deserving of honors and gifts.

As for the boys, maybe what is sent out are not signals, but a desire to spoil them out of joy of having them alive, and praising them for having been so courageous. 

Thanks n welcome back.

:P

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest InBangkok
11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I was talking about the condition of these young people before the cave event. Destiny had placed them in very unfavorable circumstances, while after the rescue we learned what a fine group of individuals they are.  Contrary to regrettable, the whole episode was a great success, with all benefiting from it (except for the family of the drowned diver).  But this was a unique, very rare case.  Why isn't it the other way around, with this success being the norm?

My apologies. I thought your sentence "Instead... they are among undesirable illegal rejects without any nationality" referred to the boys now. It certainly seemed so when I read it more than once.

However, there still seems to be an implication in your earlier post that all the immigrants in that part of Thailand are "undesirable illegal rejects." I believe that is grossly unfair. The fact is that virtually all these people lived in the war-torn border region of Myanmar. They fled because they wanted to live! Also fact is that Thailand has accepted them, even without paperwork. They can work, their children can go to school free, they get medical care virtually free the same as all thais. Compared to the land they came from, these people are mostly extremely happy that Thailand welcomed them in. The community up in the north of Thailand beyond Chiang Rai is one of the happiest. I have had the pleasure of visiting them,

Another good result from the cave rescue may be - and I stress may - that the Thai government finally starts doing something to sort out the nationality problems on that border. But it is a huge problem and Thailand did not cause it!

May I suggest that your comments would be far more pertinent if directed to the Myanmar government's decades-long treatment of their various hill tribes peoples and their more recent genocide of the Rohingya population. The world has done little,  seems able to do little, and what used to be the voice of conscience is now a disgraced person. Aung San Suu Kyi may be President in name only and the army may hold the real power. She was once spoken of in the same sentence as Nelson Mandela. Now we see her for what she truly is. A voice for Buddhists - and she happily condemns tens of thousands of Muslim Rohingya to dreadful slaughter and not far short of a million to life in the squalor of  Bangladeshi refugee camps.

Guest 都摄六根 净念相继
On 10/14/2018 at 10:16 AM, kidster said:

I got very interested and convinced with the power of meditation after reading how the boys survived in the cave where the oxygen level is low and without food for 17 days.

Does anyone know where and how to pick up proper meditation tactics?

Beside reducing stress as a benefit, I heard it does slow down aging. I wonder how true it is.   

Start with chanting Namo Amitabha. chant not too fast not too slow, at your comfortable pace, enunciate clearly each words, and most importantly, listen to to the words clearly. start by chanting in set of 10 (3, 3, 4). then repeat another 10, never go on to 11. even if you chant thousands of sets, you should still only count to 10. you mind would be clearer as u progress. this is known as 都摄六根,净念相继。since meditation is about "pure" mind, chanting would be easier instead of just letting your mind wandering around. this method is from Master Yin Guang. hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Guest 都摄六根 净念相继 said:

Start with chanting Namo Amitabha. chant not too fast not too slow, at your comfortable pace, enunciate clearly each words, and most importantly, listen to to the words clearly. start by chanting in set of 10 (3, 3, 4). then repeat another 10, never go on to 11. even if you chant thousands of sets, you should still only count to 10. you mind would be clearer as u progress. this is known as 都摄六根,净念相继。since meditation is about "pure" mind, chanting would be easier instead of just letting your mind wandering around. this method is from Master Yin Guang. hope this helps.

Thanks. How long do I need to chant each time?

On 10/14/2018 at 6:00 AM, Sport-coholic said:

'There was no story more captivating this summer than the Thai soccer team trapped in a cave. This Monday, they’re all here.' 

— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) October 12, 2018

why dont directly copy the link here?

On 10/16/2018 at 12:09 AM, Guest InBangkok said:

My apologies. I thought your sentence "Instead... they are among undesirable illegal rejects without any nationality" referred to the boys now. It certainly seemed so when I read it more than once.

However, there still seems to be an implication in your earlier post that all the immigrants in that part of Thailand are "undesirable illegal rejects." I believe that is grossly unfair. The fact is that virtually all these people lived in the war-torn border region of Myanmar. They fled because they wanted to live! Also fact is that Thailand has accepted them, even without paperwork. They can work, their children can go to school free, they get medical care virtually free the same as all thais. Compared to the land they came from, these people are mostly extremely happy that Thailand welcomed them in. The community up in the north of Thailand beyond Chiang Rai is one of the happiest. I have had the pleasure of visiting them,

Another good result from the cave rescue may be - and I stress may - that the Thai government finally starts doing something to sort out the nationality problems on that border. But it is a huge problem and Thailand did not cause it!

May I suggest that your comments would be far more pertinent if directed to the Myanmar government's decades-long treatment of their various hill tribes peoples and their more recent genocide of the Rohingya population. The world has done little,  seems able to do little, and what used to be the voice of conscience is now a disgraced person. Aung San Suu Kyi may be President in name only and the army may hold the real power. She was once spoken of in the same sentence as Nelson Mandela. Now we see her for what she truly is. A voice for Buddhists - and she happily condemns tens of thousands of Muslim Rohingya to dreadful slaughter and not far short of a million to life in the squalor of  Bangladeshi refugee camps.

My apologies, I stand corrected.   Of course the culprit is the military regime in Burma. But I didn't know that Thailand had been so generous with these people.  The US should take this as an example for a way to treat the refugees coming in through its southern border. (the Thai didn't separate the children from their parents...)

So Buddhists can do that to other people like Muslims?  One cannot trust anyone in this world!

Guest 都摄六根 净念相继
19 hours ago, kidster said:

Thanks. How long do I need to chant each time?

Suit yourself. you can chant until you are tired and rest. after you feel that you have rested enough, you can continue. its all up to yourself.

Guest InBangkok
On 10/17/2018 at 6:27 PM, Steve5380 said:

Whose heart does not melt seeing this young guys alive after what they went through?

I think these boys are incredible. After what they went through they are clearly having the time of their lives. For those who do not know soccer, Zlatan Ibrahimovic who joined them on the programme is regarded as the finest soccer player after Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Cristiano Ronaldo lately of Real Madrid. Meeting him and then having the chance both to watch the LA Galaxy team training and watching a full league match are things they could never have dreamed of.

Some people suggest that they are being exploited. I don't believe that for one minute. Apart from the great enjoyment they have experienced on this trip to South and North America, they have shown themselves to be amazing ambassadors for Thailand. It is school holidays now in Thailand but they will return to their normal life in their town, to their families, schoolfriends and community. I cannot believe this world attention will alter them in any way. 

• G_M locked this topic