Male HQ

Japanese Food

Guest JFood

The Japanese have always been fastidiously immaculate in their preparation and presentation of food.

I enjoy well prepared food, well cut (sashimi), and done with a good receipe.

Presentation area - neat, and typical upmarket type sashimi, etc, is what i appreciate most, and enjoy tremendously.

I am not into picture making and intricate preparation as it eats into the preparation time, and the "hand smell" will also go in to such 'designer' presentation - i call it playing wif your food...

and yes you are right... too nice to eat? I'd rather not eat it. The amound of hand handling the food, holding it, turning it, cutting it, etc... scares me no end... no matter how 'clean' they claim, it's still touched a lot more than it should be. I don't think I will put it into my mouth thank you very much....

maybe if they put cock cheese on it for the special effect and smell... some might like it better? and real male human sperm? preferably fresh and warm done in front of you.. perhaps that may be something to taste at the special sushi bar... :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...
Well said Uncle Baloo :D But i think we will never see them here... those local run Jap restaurants seem to be more interested in churning out as much Katsu Don as possible then do something nice and fancy in the name of creativity...

Not many food owners here have brain like the japanese. They not only sell similar dull oily stuff but even cut portions to save cost. They sell food for a living, not for passion to sell and create food. That is why many come and go in kopi tiam and never survive long. :whistle:

I am waiting for a sugar daddy (NOT the very old jiao jiao type) to come by so that i can set restaurant and get an opportunity to break-record and set trend to change our expired boring local food culture. :B)

Edited by Tight Ass

• 3 weeks later...

Just revisited my favourite Japanese Food restaurant which I had not gone for a few years...

dunno if the name has changed for it was always 'Wahiro' for me...

now, as i looked at the business card, it's called 'Wahiro Boutique Japanese Restaurant'

and has a branch at Goldhill Plaza, which, incidentally, the Japanese Boss, now tends the sushi bar there instead of at the Katong Mall...

*sidenote - the boys - yes boys ... so damn cute looking... worth the look, and worth the sacrifice for original boss' handicraft in cutting sashimi...

In any case, we were celebrating a colleague's birthday... and me being the 'gui tao' to bring the group there, offered to order the Toro sashimi after everyone ordered their set lunches... quite a large selection, from $15 to $68+++ very very nice...

Toro, in case you dun know is 'Prime Tuna Belly' ultra rich in Omega3, and damn nice to eat... price... $10 per slice... in 2 or 5 slice options...

Tuesdays are the days fresh stocks arrive from Japan... so the sashimi was... devastatingly good... Sake(Salmon) sashimi was of course cheeper at $15 per plate of 5 slices... ok dun think of Sake Sushi standard ok? these slices are THICK, and the sake has a rather much darker hue to it than the standard orangy look typical of 'standard/cheep sake' - almost maroonish in colour... and the white marbling of the Omega3... was defined, and thick...

Swordfish... white fleshed and chewy yet not fishy (cantonese say 'sang') - was a surprise hit... they can't get enough of it haha, never had such tasty, mouth exciting sashimi before.....

I was just smiling that I had brought them to the right place, and the standard of the sashimi was still as good as I remember it.

the bill, for 5 of us came up to $220. (no wine was taken, just o-cha) so it was just food... and damn... it was satisfyingly good. and NOT oily... (cept for the Omega3...)

you gotta go taste it if you are into Jap food..... especially sashimi... go either Tuesdays or Fridays when their fresh stocks arrive...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JapFoodLover

Less well known but good quality and moderate price can be found at Yamagawa.

Its at Beach Road Plaza Hotel next door shopping centre.

The cheapest place for sashimi is Sakuraya Fishmart at Bouna Vista Road

Good Luck with finding the places.

• 2 months later...

hi agog

Thanks for your very very interesting post.

Can you please be more specific as to where this Hanami Jap place is? New Upper Changi Road is really very long... Can give some landmarks, relative to the MRT for instance, if you do not know the street address?

many thanks in advance.

Just came back from the 1 for 1 Buffet Dinner at Honjin...

works out to about $60 for 2 persons...

here's what was ordered...

(a) Sashimi - salmon, yellowtail, and tuna - quantity... wow... erm... 4 orders on a big plate ba...

(b) 2 x California Hand roll

© 2 x Miso Soup

(d) 4 x orders of Unagi

(e) 2 x tempura, brinjal, ladies' fingers, carrot...

(f) 2 x zaru soba

(g) 1 x garlic beef

(h) 2 x handrolls salmon and cali

(i) 3 x garlic beef

(j) 3 x unagi

(k) 1 x tongkatsu

(l) 1 x zaru soba

(m) 2 x salmon, yellowtail, and tuna sashimi

(n) 4 scoops of ice cream

(o) assorted fresh cut fruits - orange, banana, apple and watermelon

started at 9.00 pm finished at 10.15...

The sashimi was great, and the beef was heavenly... The Unagi... surprisingly very very good... it's definitely worth eating...

I thought the tongkatsu was a little bit on the dry and tough side tho... but the rest was a-ok...

Had lashings of Japanese Green Tea and iced water... phew... tok about stuffing ourselves...

• 1 year later...

Hi Baloo, is the Honjin you're talking about this Honjin?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=135436&branchid=9107

Has anyone tried Fish Mart Sakuraya at basement of parkway parade? It's a small supermart for fish-related food products, and there's a small corner with tables and chairs where customers can eat sashimi on the spot.

@nicefatboy:

.....you? haha

so have you eaten there before? nice? value for money?

=======================================================

i eat at sakae sometimes. yes it's the macdonalds of jap restaurants, but it satisfies my sashimi craving at a price i can still afford. there was once, about 2 years ago, i went with a friend to the wheelock outlet 10 min before last order. i ordered my usual salmon sashimi, and we marvelled when the order came - on top of the usual number of slices, the chef added alot more extra thin slice. i couldnt even see the ice pack. i guess they were trying to clear their stock before the salmon loses its freshness. the extra slices taste perectly fine to me.

last night, i dined there again. during their last orders, i ordered another plate of salmon sashimi, wondering if i will get the extra slices again. 2 min later the waitress came to me.... the salmon sashimi is sold out.

the signboard has a mysterious picture of a cat. and his nondescript stall sandwiched in the middle of this new upper changi road (bedok south) coffee shop bears the name "Hanami".

and it gets more curious when you realise that the guy manning this japanese food stall is a japanese - yes a squat and stocky man who speaks japanese accented english.

the tempura udon which i ordered last night was a steal at $3.50. this is cheap and good authentic food. other items on his menu include bento sets, ramen and one or two western dishes. i've yet to try those but i can't resist service with a bow. so yes i think i'll be back for more.

er, i do not see what's mysterious about the stall. i live nearby and have passed by it many times, but it looks unappetizing to me, so i never thought of trying it, until i saw your post.

i ordered the salmon and tempura bento, it cost $6.50. this is the first time i am having a bento set in a food court/coffee shop where it comes with salmon sashimi. they even sell salmon sashimi a la carte at something like $0.60 per slice (iirc).

the set comes with:

- tempura of prawns and assorted vegetables.

- 5-6 slices of salmon sashimi

- eggroll

- small dollop of potato salad

- rice

- miso soup

-the salmon sashimi may not be top grade but it's decent and good value at this price. in any case it's far better than the horrible isushi few blocks away (the one that sells nasi-lemak sushi)

-the potato salad is competent, but could do with more pepper.

-the miso soup and eggroll were forgettable.

-the rice is slightly too hard and dry.

-i have never liked tempura in my life, and this one doesn't help - it looks/is oily, and in one chunk, the carrot and batter fell cleanly apart. i dunno what that means - insufficient defrosting? lack of freshness? mismanagement of cooking temperature?

verdict based on one bento set: will go back for the salmon sashimi. worth checking out if you're in the neighbourhood. otherwise, nothing to write home about.

addendum on 26 Aug

ate there again tonight. had a unagi rice bowl ($4.50) and salmon sashimi. wanted to order tuna sashimi too but it was sold out.

unagi rice bowl came with rice, a moderate sized piece of unagi, a tiny slice of tomato and miso soup. unagi was fatty and fragrant, the way i like it. rice was fluffy and nice, comes drizzled with soy sauce.

salmon sashimi this time round is not too fresh, texture is not as firm. first piece i ate actually tasted stale and fishy, but the rest was still ok.

Edited by cadlad

• 1 year later...

For a very special treat, you could try Nadaman at the Shangri-La. Lunch is cheaper (relatively speaking) than dinner as is the case in most Jap restaurants. Th kaiseki muiti-course meal was excellent and the teppanyaki and sushi/sashimi combos are very good too.

Keyaki at the Pan Pacific is also a treat- my sis took the family out for dinner some time ago and the quality of the food was quite exceptional.

I like Santaro at Amara. Ever since a friend brought me there I've been hooked for the past 4 years, every half year I'd book for dinner with a friend or two and let the chef decide on the menu, usually a 9-course affair. Used to like Inagiku and Keyaki, but find them quite impersonal nowadays.

Instagram @the_meowprince

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For a very special treat, you could try Nadaman at the Shangri-La. Lunch is cheaper (relatively speaking) than dinner as is the case in most Jap restaurants. Th kaiseki muiti-course meal was excellent and the teppanyaki and sushi/sashimi combos are very good too. Keyaki at the Pan Pacific is also a treat- my sis took the family out for dinner some time ago and the quality of the food was quite exceptional.

Nadaman... SGD$450.. yes Four Hundred and Fifty bucks plus taxes... PER HEAD... dunno if guys count as 2 heads hahaha...ok per eating head...

it'd better be good...... not even sure if there is sake (Japanese rice wine) thrown in... pehaps with that, it could be worth the money if you are a big eater...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey has anyone been to Jibiru Japanese Craft Beer Bar?

It opened this year, pretty recent.

From what I hear the service is good but the wait is uh... a bit too long

Their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jibiru

Was thinking of going but I don't want to risk my stomach devouring itself while waiting.

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

Hey has anyone been to Jibiru Japanese Craft Beer Bar?

It opened this year, pretty recent.

From what I hear the service is good but the wait is uh... a bit too long

Their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jibiru

Was thinking of going but I don't want to risk my stomach devouring itself while waiting.

Looks like a great place

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Just been to 'Zen' at UE Square last weekend. For about $50 nett for it's ala carte buffet, the quality of the food & its presentation is fantastic! I never expect myself to enjoy a buffet but the restaurant proves me wrong. I love the steak in particular :)

Just been to 'Zen' at UE Square last weekend. For about $50 nett for it's ala carte buffet, the quality of the food & its presentation is fantastic! I never expect myself to enjoy a buffet but the restaurant proves me wrong. I love the steak in particular :)

$50 sounds like a good price! Maybe I'll go there and give myself a treat one day ^^

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

• 1 month later...

I duno if nowadays anyone has noticed...places that sell Ebi Tempura...or Prawn Tempura...the prawns are like...from frozen ones or something...not like those fresh prawns you buy from the market and place in the tempura batter to deep fry....it seems as if its...pre-frozen or something....UBER disappointing...anyone tasted from various restaurants and agrees with me?..

• 1 month later...
For a very special treat, you could try Nadaman at the Shangri-La. Lunch is cheaper (relatively speaking) than dinner as is the case in most Jap restaurants. Th kaiseki muiti-course meal was excellent and the teppanyaki and sushi/sashimi combos are very good too. Keyaki at the Pan Pacific is also a treat- my sis took the family out for dinner some time ago and the quality of the food was quite exceptional.

BUT le...prob is that the foods at these 2 restaurants are.....'reasonable' but NOT cheap la...but..i admit..its very good..lol...Last time there used to be this reallie very nice Japanese food along Joo Chiat road which served home-cooked Japanese cuisine...i think no more liao though..uber sad..

• 2 weeks later...
I really love Santouka though it's really really ex. :blink:
I agree Santouka is nice loh...dun understand why my frenz say no nice...i know ppl say taste is self preference and all.....besides...i think if Japanese ppl themselves eat there den can't be wrong loh...

hmm. i dun really eat ramen. so i've not really tried the ones around singapore. but I've tried tampopo(taka) [ a lil too salty for my liking but i like their black pork] and two from the ongoing ramen championship thats at illuma. one would be bario or something? another would be the one with sweet corn.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

• 2 months later...
hmm. i dun really eat ramen. so i've not really tried the ones around singapore. but I've tried tampopo(taka) [ a lil too salty for my liking but i like their black pork] and two from the ongoing ramen championship thats at illuma. one would be bario or something? another would be the one with sweet corn.

Try the one at Gallery Hotel called Ramen Miharu & Santouka Ramen at Central Shopping Mall (NOT Orchard Central). Japanese people themselves eat there so is good!..XD

Try the one at Gallery Hotel called Ramen Miharu & Santouka Ramen at Central Shopping Mall (NOT Orchard Central). Japanese people themselves eat there so is good!..XD

The Santouka at Central@Clarke Quay has another branch in town...not sure where though...

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

The Santouka at Central@Clarke Quay has another branch in town...not sure where though...

is abv clarke quay mrt, in the mall called central, could be on 4th floor, actually still not good enough though it has tried hard enough

• 10 months later...
Guest harold1981

Agree with you darkflame , anyway the Japanese resturant at

Shin Kushiya @Vivo City lvl 2 and the other resturant at vivo city basement two with external decoration like wooden traditional jap restursant is also nice .

oh my gawd!!!! i lurve jap food... to the point of obsession!

these are my fav!

• Rakuzen (millenia walk)
  • Ten (it used to be at Central Clarke Quay, specialize in tempura//bento thingy... but sadly, have closed down/renovate.. if u guys know where it is, pls tell me!!!!)
  • Chikuwa Tei (Mohamed Sultan Rd)
  • Kuriya Penthouse

Pls dun shoot me for my last option... it's somewhere i go for my quick fix.... sushi tei/ shokutsu 10 ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.