Male HQ

Volunteering.. Anyone?

fly360

Been thinking about whether to volunteer in my limited spare time, most likely for physically disabled, special needs or under-privileged children. 

However I am afraid that I might not have the tenacity, patience and determination to follow through.

Is there anyone who volunteers on a longtime or regular basis to share your experiences?

12 hours ago, fly360 said:

Been thinking about whether to volunteer in my limited spare time, most likely for physically disabled, special needs or under-privileged children. 

However I am afraid that I might not have the tenacity, patience and determination to follow through.

Is there anyone who volunteers on a longtime or regular basis to share your experiences?

4 hours ago, snowball said:

U won't be able to know if you have not yet try :D

Agree with snowball. 

Don't be afraid to try. 

Just remember that every organisation has it's flaws. No organisation is perfect, even for non profit org. 

Nevertheless, always think of the people you're helping and don't give up on them.

Workplaces usually have a CSR program for short term or one time off activities. Try to look out for that. I like to join fun activities so the last last one I went for was kayaking and picking rubbish from the river. 

If not you can always discuss with the coordinator of that NGO and see how you can contribute.

I'm sure you can start with the gay community.

This is especially so for older single gay elderly men like me.

I am one that always in need of physical assistance - things like carrying heavy mattress from one room to another,  moving bedframes.

Also for older gay men, we lack the strength and sometimes, the mobility to travel.  

Hence, having friends over for pot-luck dinners is a means of keeping our social life actively.

8 hours ago, abang said:

Talk is cheap... after more than 30 hours, no one responded.

It is a one-off request but I think it is manual work and unglamorous that turns s0-called volunteers off.

好难哦。。想找个同志自愿工原来这莫难!

I don't mind doing manual work kind of stuff for people. :)

I would think the experience varies greatly, perhaps an analogy would be like working in the service industry but without pay. You will encounter all sorts of people due to the nature of volunteering. Likely unreliability, high stress level, emotional instability etc. Having the heart to volunteer doesn't mean a person will have the skills needed for volunteerism.

So attitude matters. You will have good and bad days so how you see the same situation matters on your recipient and your owns well-being.

Start with ah-hoc or short term, one-time kind of work in your area of interest. Build up the experience and see if you can work the challenges. Then proceed to level up.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:39 AM, abang said:

I'm sure you can start with the gay community.

This is especially so for older single gay elderly men like me.

I am one that always in need of physical assistance - things like carrying heavy mattress from one room to another,  moving bedframes.

Also for older gay men, we lack the strength and sometimes, the mobility to travel.  

Hence, having friends over for pot-luck dinners is a means of keeping our social life actively.

We are open to be invited over. 

I worked with volunteers in my previous job, and what I can share is that if you are sincere in wanting to help, we are grateful. It's okay if you have not done it before or will take awhile to get the hang of it or can only volunteer when you can - at the end of the day, you have been a big help and we will (of course) assist you in any way that we can.

I have been a volunteer since my secondary school days, started in the youth group,

then after my NS, I was involved in my neighbourhood group, and some years later

got roped into other volunteer groups while based overseas... and still keep in touch

with those. 

We raise funds to educate orphans and sponsor their university education too if needed.

As I have no children.... I choose to adopt some abandoned kids,  :-) 

Now, I am even more involved.. and head some local groups, and even open my home

to meditation sessions and also provide visits to the infirmed or homebound  neighbours.

I guess, eventhough I have a busy work schedule, I do find the time to help others.

If you want to be a volunteer... just DO IT !!

start off with "easy" things that do not freak you out.

Remember, there are many homeless in Sg that need help...

Bro, what does your HEART say...  when you see a human being in need of help?

I have nothing but fond memories helping  people in need...

and when they smile... I cry with JOY in my heart !! 

That is my "reward"

Mike  :-) 

I request for 2 strong men to help me to move some wooden furniture and a mattress over this week.  2 responses received.  we managed to set up communication via line and WhatsApp.  One said he was available on Saturday afternoon but went MIA on after saying he can't do it alone. Another one claimed he is willing to be available on Sunday but failed to have further affirmation after Aug 2. I tried my best to contact him this morning but I received single ticks.  

I really need 2 to 3 stronger men by the end of today.   The two of you should be ashamed of your misdeeds.  I won't reveal their online names but should I want to be evil, be prepared as I can disclose your mobile numbers here.  But I am just seeking physical help, why bother to beat about the bush.

Anyone has free time today, please pm me asap with your line or WhatsApp identity.

Y don't u approach those foreign cleaners at your estate?

They will be more than happy to assist with a small token?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 8/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, abang said:

I request for 2 strong men to help me to move some wooden furniture and a mattress over this week.  2 responses received.  we managed to set up communication via line and WhatsApp.  One said he was available on Saturday afternoon but went MIA on after saying he can't do it alone. Another one claimed he is willing to be available on Sunday but failed to have further affirmation after Aug 2. I tried my best to contact him this morning but I received single ticks.  

I really need 2 to 3 stronger men by the end of today.   The two of you should be ashamed of your misdeeds.  I won't reveal their online names but should I want to be evil, be prepared as I can disclose your mobile numbers here.  But I am just seeking physical help, why bother to beat about the bush.

Anyone has free time today, please pm me asap with your line or WhatsApp identity.

Hi abang,

i think to coordinate more than 1 volunteer will be difficult (for their timing to match), since the work required will be to move furniture + mattress. I'm also considering that it could be to raise things above the head + more than 20kg load which will be very problematic if your volunteer meet with any injury. Unfortunately, google doesn't yield much positive results, seems like many calls to get quotations and then choosing someone to come out is the way. Town councils only have the Bulk Removal option, the cleaners in the estate will do the work, but it doesn't say if they will help shift furniture within the house (perhaps liability issue), not sure if you want to try calling the town council or if they have contractors for that.

Craiglist have multiple advertisements, http://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/search/lbs

https://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/lbs/d/labor-helper-handyman/6656175954.html

We provide manpower / helper / labor / handyman services.
For quick quote, Pls Whatsapp, sms us your,
1. Detail of items with picture.
2. All address with POST code.
3. Condo or HDB
4. Are both address at lift/ground level?
5. Date / time.
As we're constantly on job, appreciate if you could whatsapp us your details.
Hp: 932O. I238
Thank you

https://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/lbs/d/quick-cash-needed/6650754152.html

I'm 29 yo Chinese guy, urgently in need of money.
Do contact me should you require any services and I will do my best to provide the best services for you.

I'll be honest, Members Lounge doesn't have much page views to start with. Might have to set you back a couple hundred dollars if you need it fast, or find creatives ways to advertise it on bw.

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, abang said:

I tried but $20 per worker for the half an hour work was rejected.

I just saw your post today.

If I lived in Singapore I would volunteer to help you.

How have you been?  Where have you been?

You haven't posted in BW for over a month!

Edited by Steve5380