Male HQ

My room WiFi is so weak :(

keelas86

Hi. Need some kind soul to help me here. my room WiFi network is so weak - My router is in the living room so I guess a WiFi extender is required - which I tried previously but it’s still not working. If anyone could come my place to help me fix this I would be deeply grateful! Thanks! Do pm me if u can help. :)

Don't know if your issue is resolved already.

WiFi extender must be placed where it can firstly receive strong signal (if you place it in your room where signal is already poor, it won't work since it can't receive the router signal in the first place). If you get the right placement, note that using only 1 frequency (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), means ability/speed is cut to half.

Router <-2.4GHz shared-> Extender <-2.4GHz shared-> Device

vs

Router <-5GHz-> Extender <-2.4Ghz-> Device

Just use your phone/tablet walk around in your house to see where is a strong signal to place the extender (limited to where you can find power). Metals, concrete walls, anything that you can't see through weakens the signal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Helping hands

This situation is simple if u are staying in BTO then best is so data point conversion if u are staying in a old hdb then the best is use unifi. U make pm for this. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey my condo is having this problem too where the router is located in the living room and the wifi signal is really bad in the master bedroom due to cement walls i think. Not sure if wifi extender will work as the possible outlet for it is in the master bedroom itself. Anyone able to advise me on it?

On 2/12/2019 at 6:47 PM, Sjak32 said:

Hey my condo is having this problem too where the router is located in the living room and the wifi signal is really bad in the master bedroom due to cement walls i think. Not sure if wifi extender will work as the possible outlet for it is in the master bedroom itself. Anyone able to advise me on it?

There’s multiple solutions to your problem but it depends entirely on your budget and a little bit on your networking needs. 

The best budget solution without needing to rewire your home is to use a Powerline Adapter. It comes in a pair and must be used in a pair as well, as both adapters communicate with each other. An inexpensive and great option is TP-Link’s AV1000 Gigabit Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit. The link to that is here: https://s.lazada.sg/s.2eB2 Costs about $100 or so, depending on where you look.

It’s also a simple plug and play solution so you don’t have to worry about complicated setups unless for some reason, it doesn’t connect properly.

The more upscale and pricey version is called Mesh WiFi. I am personally using this and I managed to get a 3 node setup for less than $200. Market prices can go up to $350, so this was quite a steal. 

Mesh WiFi as its name implies, intelligently connect with each other to provide a stable and consistent WiFi experience thoroughout your home. Depending on how much you pay for, your speeds will vary but you don’t have to worry too much about setup because it is also simple as well; they usually only need you to download the required app that comes with the Mesh WiFi. 

Edited by Rhyn

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Rhyn said:

There’s multiple solutions to your problem but it depends entirely on your budget and a little bit on your networking needs. 

The best budget solution without needing to rewire your home is to use a Powerline Adapter. It comes in a pair and must be used in a pair as well, as both adapters communicate with each other. An inexpensive and great option is TP-Link’s AV1000 Gigabit Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit. The link to that is here: https://s.lazada.sg/s.2eB2 Costs about $100 or so, depending on where you look.

It’s also a simple plug and play solution so you don’t have to worry about complicated setups unless for some reason, it doesn’t connect properly.

The more upscale and pricey version is called Mesh WiFi. I am personally using this and I managed to get a 3 node setup for less than $200. Market prices can go up to $350, so this was quite a steal. 

Mesh WiFi as its name implies, intelligently connect with each other to provide a stable and consistent WiFi experience thoroughout your home. Depending on how much you pay for, your speeds will vary but you don’t have to worry too much about setup because it is also simple as well; they usually only need you to download the required app that comes with the Mesh WiFi. 

Hey thanks for the info. I am interested on getting the mesh wifi. Do you reckon a 2 node set up or 3 are better? Also whats brand of the mesh wifi are reliable? Ive been eyeing the Orbi ones.

1 hour ago, Sjak32 said:

Hey thanks for the info. I am interested on getting the mesh wifi. Do you reckon a 2 node set up or 3 are better? Also whats brand of the mesh wifi are reliable? Ive been eyeing the Orbi ones.

It depends on 3 questions

1. What’s your budget?

2. How do you usually use the Internet?

3. Are there many people using it?

Generally speaking, the best value for money goes to TP Link’s Deco M5. It’s about less than $250 for 3 nodes but they’re dual band.

The best but also the most expensive is Netgear Orbi. Going at more than $500, unless you have baller money, I would personally spend on a Linksys Tri Band for $400 at Challenger (:

Edited by Rhyn

On 2/12/2019 at 6:47 PM, Sjak32 said:

Have you tried changing your wifi frequency to using 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz? Reason being 2.4GHz is able to provide a better coverage if signal is an issue.

For advanced users, you may manually tweak your wifi channel to the most efficient one using a network analyser.

Yeah we always have been using 2.4GHz actually! Only conmecting to 5GHz when downloading things. The problem is that due to cement walls and the low position of the router, the signal aren’t able to penetrate the walls to all corners of the apartment and I think only mesh wifi could solve the problem. 

I have read somewhere about manually changing channels and tried that but not sire it made any difference. Didnt use a network analyser though.

There is currently sale dor Orbi ones so am thinking of getting them. I think they are selling it for $299 for the two node set up for a model for apartment/flat and $399 for houses ones :) we have five people in the households with at least 10 devices connecting to the internet. Also, I am a graphic design student and avid gamer so kinda dependent on syable internet. 

54 minutes ago, Sjak32 said:

There is currently sale dor Orbi ones so am thinking of getting them. I think they are selling it for $299 for the two node set up for a model for apartment/flat and $399 for houses ones :) we have five people in the households with at least 10 devices connecting to the internet. Also, I am a graphic design student and avid gamer so kinda dependent on syable internet. 

I don't have a layout of your home to give a better idea on a 2 or 3 node Mesh WiFi, but I trust that Netgear Orbi's range is good enough and one of the best. They're intelligent enough to split devices connected according to the needs of the current usage at home (maybe someone's hogging the bandwidth for 4K Netflix or streaming something saucy), but if at some point you feel that 2 nodes isn't enough, go for the third option (: Unless you live in a bungalow with 2-3 storeys, 2 nodes are usually sufficient! 

The avid gamer part, if you're placing one of the nodes in your room, I would suggest connecting your PC via ethernet cable directly into the node. From my understanding, there are some Netgear Orbi's with up to 4 ethernet ports (: make use of those!

4 hours ago, Rhyn said:

I don't have a layout of your home to give a better idea on a 2 or 3 node Mesh WiFi, but I trust that Netgear Orbi's range is good enough and one of the best. They're intelligent enough to split devices connected according to the needs of the current usage at home (maybe someone's hogging the bandwidth for 4K Netflix or streaming something saucy), but if at some point you feel that 2 nodes isn't enough, go for the third option (: Unless you live in a bungalow with 2-3 storeys, 2 nodes are usually sufficient! 

The avid gamer part, if you're placing one of the nodes in your room, I would suggest connecting your PC via ethernet cable directly into the node. From my understanding, there are some Netgear Orbi's with up to 4 ethernet ports (: make use of those!

Good Sir,

Would you recommend those Wifi/Wireless Range Extender/Repeater that you plug into the wall power socket one?

E.g:

https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions/networking-wireless/access-points/tp-link-ac1750-wi-fi-range-extender--6935364092399

For your advise, please.

11 minutes ago, Nipoet said:

Good Sir,

Would you recommend those Wifi/Wireless Range Extender/Repeater that you plug into the wall power socket one?

E.g:

https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions/networking-wireless/access-points/tp-link-ac1750-wi-fi-range-extender--6935364092399

For your advise, please.

I generally do not recommend these as they’re not as reliable as Mesh WiFi. While the concept is similar to deliver WiFi, it’s not the same underlying technology. 

I’d rather recommend this

https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions/networking-wireless/wireless-routers/tp-link-deco-m4-2-pack--6935364084189

16 hours ago, Rhyn said:

I generally do not recommend these as they’re not as reliable as Mesh WiFi. While the concept is similar to deliver WiFi, it’s not the same underlying technology. 

I’d rather recommend this

https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions/networking-wireless/wireless-routers/tp-link-deco-m4-2-pack--6935364084189

Thank you for your recommendation! I will mull it over and do more comparisons.

For me as a singtel senior field supervisor doing on site. I actually suggest a unifi where u will be able to get a better range of wireless coverage and speed of at least 450mpbs on wifi. The only bad thing is u need to run a cable. The design is also nice it's like a ufo and u can disguise it with clock face. The price is cheap also 100 plus to 300 plus and its AC dual band. Mesh works in a different way as long as its able to retrieve a signal from the main unit its will extend the WiFi signal but your speed is depleting along the way. I have my own lab and I have done a comprehensive test on all device (mesh) and routers. 

21 hours ago, Kentazmania said:

For me as a singtel senior field supervisor doing on site. I actually suggest a unifi where u will be able to get a better range of wireless coverage and speed of at least 450mpbs on wifi. The only bad thing is u need to run a cable. The design is also nice it's like a ufo and u can disguise it with clock face. The price is cheap also 100 plus to 300 plus and its AC dual band. Mesh works in a different way as long as its able to retrieve a signal from the main unit its will extend the WiFi signal but your speed is depleting along the way. I have my own lab and I have done a comprehensive test on all device (mesh) and routers. 

Are you referring to this, Sir:

https://www.lazada.sg/products/ubiquiti-unifi-apac-long-range-uap-ac-lr-i278156659-s429356827.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTfo6fx_eRjV7K4y-2XYdEYGU7bkKa9-whmYtQMWCkuOlXiJMz77RExoCOhQQAvD_BwE&amp;s_kwcid=AL!4281!3!242381247295!!!u!!&amp;exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1025267241!54483208270!!!pla-296303633664!c!296303633664!429356827!124906445&amp;ef_id=XIUFaQAABZQ3-3q3:20190314110956:s

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.