Male HQ

Everything in SG is so Expensive!

Guest Guest

54 minutes ago, Carlofrcentral said:

LOL you keep calling me a keyboard warrior, you are just describing all of us here.  

Anywaaaay... I just want to say that sometimes, if you stay in one place for a long time, crazy things get in your head. You start to annoy people around you, so they avoid you. Even your family hates you. So you spread your negativity elsewhere. Don’t worry, my friend we are here for you to enlighten your mind. It is never too late. Again, my advice for you is to explore the beauty of the world. Try Malaysia, it’s just a bus ride away from Singapore, fyi. That’s a good baby step for you.

My point saying that you are nothing more than a foreigner who loves to comment about our state of affair without knowing the half of it, had already been made. And you had done nothing more than provide more and more evidence to prove my point. At least, you have nothing more to say about that anymore. In fact, looking at how you subsequently retreated into personal attacks, coupled with your previous postings of such a fantasy world, and how you took a subway system to be a form of "luxury", I think I can safely profile you to be a Filipino. I think it's pointless to continue this discussion about expensive things in Singapore with a foreigner, so I will leave you as it is now, knowing full well that Filipinos has this tendency to put in some last words to save their own pride, because they really have nothing else to be proud about, and they need every tiny bit of wins to save their face even after they have lost completely. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

My point saying that you are nothing more than a foreigner who loves to comment about our state of affair without knowing the half of it, had already been made. And you had done nothing more than provide more and more evidence to prove my point. At least, you have nothing more to say about that anymore. In fact, looking at how you subsequently retreated into personal attacks, coupled with your previous postings of such a fantasy world, and how you took a subway system to be a form of "luxury", I think I can safely profile you to be a Filipino. I think it's pointless to continue this discussion about expensive things in Singapore with a foreigner, so I will leave you as it is now, knowing full well that Filipinos has this tendency to put in some last words to save their own pride, because they really have nothing else to be proud about, and they need every tiny bit of wins to save their face even after they have lost completely. 

Aiya..talk so much...if you want to leave, just leave lah...go elsewhere...complaint complaint complaint..so where do you think your perfect country is? Tell us and I will tell you the bad points. 

9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Oh so you hate filipinos too? My goodness, is there anything that you like aside from yourself?

And please don’t judge me for my perfect English. I am just well-educated and exposed to the world.

I still love you tho, coz you are silly.

15 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

The fact that singles need to wait til 35 year old to get a 2rm BTO is not even talking about a "priority" issue here anymore. This is plainly discrimatory. 

That's right, singles are flat out being discriminated against.

But I suspect that is the case everywhere in the world, but not to the same extent as Singapore.

In other countries, there may be allowances/subsidies/bonuses for children, which I think is fair enough, but in Sg, there is a huge financial discrimination (HDB) from the gov in their treatment of a straight couple, vs a same sex couple.

12 minutes ago, auri said:

But I suspect that is the case everywhere in the world, but not to the same extent as Singapore.

In other countries, there may be allowances/subsidies/bonuses for children, which I think is fair enough, but in Sg, there is a huge financial discrimination (HDB) from the gov in their treatment of a straight couple, vs a same sex couple.

Think singles have to pay additional 15k for new BTOs as well, like another kick in the face. They may give you subsidies, if you qualify, but claw back 15k from you.

Guest NiNaBeh
3 minutes ago, Guest HDBer said:

Think singles have to pay additional 15k for new BTOs as well, like another kick in the face. They may give you subsidies, if you qualify, but claw back 15k from you.

It is called commercial dealings. Suck the more the better from consumer. If both willings, the deal is done. 

1 hour ago, Guest NiNaBeh said:

It is called commercial dealings. Suck the more the better from consumer. If both willings, the deal is done. 

Not like there is much of a choice when odds are stacked against you, you need a roof over your head, basic need.

2 hours ago, Guest HDBer said:

On top of that, you must be 35 and above, and only can select 2 room BTO.( which is 1 living and 1 bedroom).  If you want 3,4 or 5 room flat, then go for resale market.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

2 hours ago, auri said:

There are too many terms and conditions attached to leasing  a HDB Flat for both married couple or family and even worse for single.  

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Aiya..talk so much...if you want to leave, just leave lah...go elsewhere...complaint complaint complaint..so where do you think your perfect country is? Tell us and I will tell you the bad points. 

My perfect country is Singapore. 

Tell me the bad points please. 

41 minutes ago, Larry said:

I am using the following example from my two married friend for you to judge:

Case #1

Executive maisonette bought in mid 90's : $196000

Housing loan from HDB using CPF : 5 years

Case #2

Two rooms flat bought last year 2017 : $200000

Housing loan from HDB using CPF : 15 years

Maisonette (three rooms upstair) vs Two rooms flat, price only difference by $4000, why not you & me??????????

Loan differ from 5 years to 15 years, why not the same ?????????????

Developers bid high, sell high.  All the super rich tycoons in Singapore are property developers. 

9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

1) Mediocre politicians are drawing Billgate salaries.

2) Not  a single generals ever fought a real war

3) No self-made billionaires the like of Bill gate, steve job, elon musk, just to name a few

4) Too much physical cosmetics but no substance  (eg: flags are hung along the road for people to see, but those HDB out of view were exempted from flag hanging)

5) Husband & wife ruling the country with no check and balances.Conflict of national interest.

6) Too many expensive politicians doing too few jobs eg: overlapping of responsibilities, too many heads in the same ministries...etc

7)  No responsibilities, no accountabilities and nobody was sacked for commiting serious error.

8)  Too many cronies all eyeing for the jobs via govt connections. There is no real business being created, all are crumbs dropped by the husband or wife mentioned above.

9)  No productivity, poor customer service standard and yet cost for  products and services are extremely high.

10)  Poor transport planning,  poor housing planning, poor hospital planning, poor police resources planning,  poor relationship with neighbouring countries,  lousy labour union,  lousy journalists, country of the PAPER SCHOLARS, PAPER GENERALS.

11)  Highly dvisive between the rich and poor, between the Christian and LGBT,  between different political parties, between the boss and workers, between the govt and its people, between Singaporeans and foreigners,  between the two siblings of the leader.

12)  Politicians holding multiple directorships,  threatening the independency of private and public institutions.

13)  There is no known leadership in Singapore, no international brand the like of APPLE, SAMSUNG, IBM, SONY, PHLLIPS...etc

14)  TV entertainment shows were dry and boring, Actors/Actress were over-rated thru staged "Star awards" and depends whether you were favoured by the govt because the News producers were placed among those "Star-Award" receipients too. Which means, it is a wayang country.

15)  There is no true foresight, no planning. Action are merely reactive and not proactive with a host of unseen problems waiting to happen.

16)   We are always high on every international statistics:  Stress, Anxiety, Over-worked,  underpaid, Under happy,  high household debt, high cost of livings, high suicidal rate for the elderly...etc

What else do you want to know??

12 hours ago, LeanMature said:

On top of that, you must be 35 and above, and only can select 2 room BTO.( which is 1 living and 1 bedroom).  If you want 3,4 or 5 room flat, then go for resale market.  

Plus only able to pick non mature estate, meaning may not even have proper amenities, transport link may be quite bad. Like some i went to in bukit panjang, only one bus service that goes all the way in, up a hill some more.

2 hours ago, Guest Ouch! said:

1) Mediocre politicians are drawing Billgate salaries.

2) Not  a single generals ever fought a real war

3) No self-made billionaires the like of Bill gate, steve job, elon musk, just to name a few

4) Too much physical cosmetics but no substance  (eg: flags are hung along the road for people to see, but those HDB out of view were exempted from flag hanging)

5) Husband & wife ruling the country with no check and balances.Conflict of national interest.

6) Too many expensive politicians doing too few jobs eg: overlapping of responsibilities, too many heads in the same ministries...etc

7)  No responsibilities, no accountabilities and nobody was sacked for commiting serious error.

8)  Too many cronies all eyeing for the jobs via govt connections. There is no real business being created, all are crumbs dropped by the husband or wife mentioned above.

9)  No productivity, poor customer service standard and yet cost for  products and services are extremely high.

10)  Poor transport planning,  poor housing planning, poor hospital planning, poor police resources planning,  poor relationship with neighbouring countries,  lousy labour union,  lousy journalists, country of the PAPER SCHOLARS, PAPER GENERALS.

11)  Highly dvisive between the rich and poor, between the Christian and LGBT,  between different political parties, between the boss and workers, between the govt and its people, between Singaporeans and foreigners,  between the two siblings of the leader.

12)  Politicians holding multiple directorships,  threatening the independency of private and public institutions.

13)  There is no known leadership in Singapore, no international brand the like of APPLE, SAMSUNG, IBM, SONY, PHLLIPS...etc

14)  TV entertainment shows were dry and boring, Actors/Actress were over-rated thru staged "Star awards" and depends whether you were favoured by the govt because the News producers were placed among those "Star-Award" receipients too. Which means, it is a wayang country.

15)  There is no true foresight, no planning. Action are merely reactive and not proactive with a host of unseen problems waiting to happen.

16)   We are always high on every international statistics:  Stress, Anxiety, Over-worked,  underpaid, Under happy,  high household debt, high cost of livings, high suicidal rate for the elderly...etc

What else do you want to know??

You are fucking serious that you want sg to go to war with your stupid point no 2?

Guest Real man
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You are fucking serious that you want sg to go to war with your stupid point no 2?

Those people should be send overseas to fight along with American soldiers in real war to prove they have the steel to lead MRT, NOL, SPH, NEA and other statement boards instead of parachuting into cushy jobs with no effort.

9 hours ago, firefight said:

I actually see many AJ buy condo..These people are the ones who know what they wanted long ago and worked very hard in school or at work for their basic needs.

The funny rule is, if you buy condo first, no more eligible for HDB Flat.  However, if you buy flat first, after servicing full HDB loan, can still buy condo for investment. 

3 hours ago, LeanMature said:

The funny rule is, if you buy condo first, no more eligible for HDB Flat.  However, if you buy flat first, after servicing full HDB loan, can still buy condo for investment. 

Can buy if still young, old already better don't commit too much as you can "kaput" anytime and people got to clear up the  mess after you.

10 hours ago, LeanMature said:

That's the rule of the game as the majority of the people are encouraged to get married and have kids. Know the rules and play by it.

Guest Mates & dates
On 8/28/2018 at 11:57 PM, Guest Guest said:

Judging by just how out of touch you are with the local situation here, it really goes to show how big a keyboard warrior you are. To think you are not even aware who is the top management earning big bucks but not knowing what to do. Have you even been here recently? The fantasy world you are dreaming about exist only in your head. I think your passport has been hardly utilized at all. Go back to your geography books. There is a huge difference between your dreams and our reality. 

I agree. From his answers, he is clearly not local and only has a superficial knowledge of things happening in Singapore.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, Guest Guest said:

I really can't resist the bait.:D

Instead of telling you specifically what's wrong here or there about SG, let me humbly tell you the big picture.

Broadly speaking, Singapore is kinda like a well-run prison/sweat-shop with fairly good amenities where the inmates/slaves have reasonably "comfortable" lives so long as you keep your head down, follow the rules and do what the guards tell you to do. If you're the independent type who think for yourself, likes full control over your life, do not want the government intruding in your personal life, using your taxpayer money without you having any say about it, telling you what should think/say/work as, then you will feel resentful even if you are well-fed. Heaven forbid if you dare to tell off your political masters, then the velvet gloves come off and you come face to face with what is in effect a Police State. But most of us never go there and choose to look the other way.

Also, the political context is important. Historically, the ruling party has electoral legitimacy only in so far as it wins elections with 60-70% of vote. The rest of 30-40% feel aggrieved that their viewpoints are never ever represented in parliament or public policies. But the ruling party lacks moral credibility because only about 30-40% are hardcore supporters. Balance 20-30% voted for it because of lack of credible alternative. So a good 50-60% are either against the party or grudgingly supports it. This is a big problem because the ruling party has a very stubborn and singular view of how to run the country which a good many citizens do not agree. You will have a hard time if you dare speak up against their political narrative.

Furthermore, a lack of credible political alternative is a very deliberate outcome. Because of the ruling party, the political playing field is never level and is heavily tilted to ensure its grip on power. Examples:
1) Suppressing alternative viewpoints eg using the courts to silence political opponents. Even independent voices like academics, NGOs, general public are cowed into silence.
2) Gerrymendering electoral boundaries as EC is under PMO.
3) GRC system that favors itself much more than opposition parties.
4) Tightly controlling the press, so there is no free and open discussion of alternative policies that may be good for country. PAP should be renamed OPO. Ownself Praise Ownself.
5) Despite what it says about good governance, there are lack of independent checks within govt eg CPIB reports to PMO, elected President effectively come from PAP-dominated bureaucracy/establishment.

6) Muffling public dissent using draconian laws.

That's why many locals feel "squeezed" by their own govt. To dismiss them as a complaining lot, or ungrateful lot, misses the point altogether. 

So what you can run a prison or sweat shop very efficiently? :swear:

We are really in need of a tsunami rakyat.:)

31 minutes ago, Latte said:

Instead of telling you specifically what's wrong here or there about SG, let me humbly tell you the big picture.

Broadly speaking, Singapore is kinda like a well-run prison/sweat-shop with fairly good amenities where the inmates/slaves have reasonably "comfortable" lives so long as you keep your head down, follow the rules and do what the guards tell you to do. If you're the independent type who think for yourself, likes full control over your life, do not want the government intruding in your personal life, using your taxpayer money without you having any say about it, telling you what should think/say/work as, then you will feel resentful even if you are well-fed. Heaven forbid if you dare to tell off your political masters, then the velvet gloves come off and you come face to face with what is in effect a Police State. But most of us never go there and choose to look the other way.

Also, the political context is important. Historically, the ruling party has electoral legitimacy only in so far as it wins elections with 60-70% of vote. The rest of 30-40% feel aggrieved that their viewpoints are never ever represented in parliament or public policies. But the ruling party lacks moral credibility because only about 30-40% are hardcore supporters. Balance 20-30% voted for it because of lack of credible alternative. So a good 50-60% are either against the party or grudgingly supports it. This is a big problem because the ruling party has a very stubborn and singular view of how to run the country which a good many citizens do not agree. You will have a hard time if you dare speak up against their political narrative.

Furthermore, a lack of credible political alternative is a very deliberate outcome. Because of the ruling party, the political playing field is never level and is heavily tilted to ensure its grip on power. Examples:
1) Suppressing alternative viewpoints eg using the courts to silence political opponents. Even independent voices like academics, NGOs, general public are cowed into silence.
4) Tightly controlling the press, so there is no free and open discussion of alternative policies that may be good for country. PAP should be renamed OPO. Ownself Praise Ownself.
5) Despite what it says about good governance, there are lack of independent checks within govt eg CPIB reports to PMO, elected President effectively come from PAP-dominated bureaucracy/establishment.

That's why many locals feel "squeezed" by their own govt. To dismiss them as a complaining lot, or ungrateful lot, misses the point altogether. 

Spot on...but many are contented as long as they are able to get 3 meals a day and slave away for a concrete box that is rented to them for 99 years

Edited by Fit4Masc

Guest High Class Prisoner
44 minutes ago, Latte said:

Broadly speaking, Singapore is kinda like a well-run prison/sweat-shop with fairly good amenities where the inmates/slaves have reasonably "comfortable" lives so long as you keep your head down, follow the rules and do what the guards tell you to do.

Sounds like the prison in Phillippine. Those inmates always tried to get in there to live a "better life" instead of finding their own outside the prison.  

1 hour ago, Latte said:

So true, finally someone telling it like it is!

The average citizen, the type who fits in the conventional mold, is quite well served by the system as he can find his needs and wants met without ever having to test the limits. But someone whose life circumstances push him to the margins finds the prison walls suddenly not so easy to ignore. 

What is sad is that the powers that be often justify their actions by appealing to “pragmatism” and “bread and butter” concerns, when in fact many policies are underpinned by ideological choices. For example single parents already have to deal with the difficulties inherent in raising and providing for their children single-handedly, without having to contend with the systemic barriers put in place due to official disapproval of family structures other than the one-man-one-woman ideal. In other words, the government maintains an ideological hardline even though the actual cost to society in aiding such marginalized groups is low.

Even sadder are the citizens who are complicit because they either genuinely do not care about the plight of their fellow people, or who think that their own comfort might be compromised if other people ‘rock the boat’ and try to tinker with the system and thus who become willing collaborators with the captors.

11 hours ago, Larry said:

3. many may not have enough CPF for retirement, resulting in WORK TILL THE DAY YOU DIE.

If you can even remain gainfully employed past 50.

4. some may have to sell back the house to Government, to cash out & move to 30 years lease retirement home.

If the house is even worth anything. For those who buy the 2 room flats, how much is that worth?

5. With long life expectancy, some may outlive the 30 years lease, well a social time bomb!

Elderly suicide is on the rise, and its gonna keep rising.

45 minutes ago, Guest HDBer said:

"Elderly suicide is on the rise, and its gonna keep rising".

Very sad that people don't want to think long term and are driven to do this.  In other countries (even in China) those retired are looked upon as contributors of the country and are helped by the gahment with some sort of living expense subsidy i.e. pension.  But here, you are basically looked upon as pass your use by date, of no use to the country and you are on your own, have to rely on your savings after a lifetime of contribution to and being milked by the system.   In all other countries, you spend your life working to buy a house and at least have that for your retirement and even hand to your descendants.  Here work most of your life to pay for a leased flat, any value gained by the property you leased for will be absorbed by the gahment after 99 yrs. They can than take back the flat for nothing, redevelop it and sell it again to reap the profits and the cycle of slavery starts over again... but yet they don't look after those retired.

Edited by Fit4Masc

1 hour ago, Fit4Masc said:

Very sad that people don't want to think long term and are driven to do this.  In other countries (even in China) those retired are looked upon as contributors of the country and are helped by the gahment with some sort of living expense subsidy i.e. pension.  But here, you are basically looked upon as pass your use by date, of no use to the country and you are on your own, have to rely on your savings after a lifetime of contribution to and being milked by the system.   In all other countries, you spend your life working to buy a house and at least have that for your retirement and even hand to your descendants.  Here work most of your life to pay for a leased flat, any value gained by the property you leased for will be absorbed by the gahment after 99 yrs. They can than take back the flat for nothing, redevelop it and sell it again to reap the profits and the cycle of slavery starts over again... but yet they don't look after those retired.

Not bad lah..i have several retired friends and relatives who are doing fine. They are not rich hor...regular people working regular jobs. Drawing monthly payments via cpf of thousand odd dollars. Vast majority are well taken care off.

2 hours ago, Fit4Masc said:

Very sad that people don't want to think long term and are driven to do this.  

Sometimes it may not be that they didn't think long term, just that things happen, like sudden illness that can wipe out a significant part of their savings, get cheated, bad investments etc. Even insurance may be very very hard to claim, and the insurers don't make it easier.

Not bad lah..i have several retired friends and relatives who are doing fine. They are not rich hor...regular people working regular jobs. Drawing monthly payments via cpf of thousand odd dollars. Vast majority are well taken care off.

Yeah.. They have served the state system in the past and they have retired now. The state system now demands cheaper, faster, better slaves which the present generation is expected to be. The old state were run by people with a heart. The new management runs the system as a money-milker to pay into their family coffers. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, doncoin said:

Well...let's frame it this way. When you are sick, you see a doctor. You don't go to the hawker to get a medical diagnosis and expect a cure. Similarly, the issues about costs of living, etc. there really isn't much BW members can do here to change the prices, unless they run HDB, or run a hawker store, or the MRT. It is barking up the wrong tree. How about approaching your MP instead to voice your displeasure with the costs of living? Maybe he can provide a solution.

BW has many more topics of discussions other than about sex, hook up etc. 

When bad things such as the increasing cost of living happen to a human being, the usual natural response for another human being is to empathise. Either this was not taught to you, or you lost your humanity a long time ago. 

But yet when husbands cheated on their wives, you have some everlasting compassion for those wives. Are you a hypocrite?

Guest Totality
On 9/1/2018 at 11:37 PM, Larry said:

4. some may have to sell back the house to Government, to cash out & move to 30 years lease retirement home.

5. With long life expectancy, some may outlive the 30 years lease, well a social time bomb!

I strongly advocate at least a 45 years lease for elderly studio home even if these folks are already 70 yo.  It gave one a sense of living in infinity.  If a person took up shorter lease that will expire before the person reach 100 years, than it eats into one psychological fear that one needs to die quickly before the  30 years lease expires.

Having said that, the govt will always be doing the catching up in their commercial transaction with you.  You can have all the financial planning to lift up your bank account, but they will try to take it away in a form of "helping" you to manage your funds (read: CPF savings with onerous clauses and  locking away sales proceeds from HDB), mean testing (Medical expenses),  lease limitation  on housing (read  individual age and housing age),  employment limitation (read retirements age, discrimination, stereotyping..etc) and other various incremental  living expenses to ensure that you are burn out  of your savings (assuming you redundant in the employment market) to  live minimally, just to get by day-to-day.  LHL National day message has already pointed to that direction moving foreward.

As Singaporeans, there is not much of a leeway unlike your counterpart friends (be they indonesian, malaysian) who have the opportunity to retire away from Singapore without having to face the full onslaught of higher cost here.  

What can we do then?  

First, is to protest and vote out the govt, as the shortest way to reform and reclaim a better life that the govt owe to its people.  However it is only  hope , and unlikely to happen anytime soon until we have a fully intellectually matured and democratic society.  

Second, avoid the systems by mentally believe that everything we were told and own, is transient  (the example of the cleaner you mentioned, she/he is very wise).  Any dear attachment in any form can only go as far as one could live.  It is easier for LGBT people to unload or downgrade  for cash. There is no need to explain or owe people an apology for the practical decision we have made.  It may sound sad, but one cannot avoid the inevitable to come, and people are struggling because they are  still hoping and dreaming to catch up with the less probable objective in life,  as they headed towards their middle-aged lives.  

Third,  Singaporeans life can never be the same as other people life, be they eviable or otherwise. Our destiny is created by the type of govt the people voted.   By not comparing nor envious of the "have or have-not" would dilute our depression, anxiety and dissappointment.   These lucky people cannot help us, and they can easily sensed that they are stronger than us if we displayed certain traits in front of them.  Learn to laugh it off and than forget about it.  Our energy is best focus on how to survive as mentioned in 2nd pointer above, eliminate as much worry as possible.

Finally,  review  life perspective away from the glamrous, glistering places. Visit hospice, volunteer in the budget old folks home,   eat near the coffee shops situated around rented HDB flat where less fortunate people lives,  walk in the back lane of China town to watch how old folks make a living, what they ate and did daily...etc.   We need not have to end up like these people, but watching them made us feel more grounded and a clarity of mind.   

I remember when I was young (in my early teens), I watched a Chinese movie about an emperor who was stranded among the beggars who didn't know about the emperor's true identity.  They took him in, and fed the overly starved emperor with stew, which the beggars could only afford to find in the street garbage. There was no recipe for it and the emperor felt the stew was delicious.  I vague recall how the story started, but it did ended up beautifully when the emperor was found and brought back to the palace again.  He  began to dread his own palace food and demanded his palace chef to cook the beggar's meal, but no one knew the recipe.  Out of desperation for the tasty meal, he ordered the beggars to his palace to cook up a meal and than get the courtiers, army generals to try it,  but many of these "high flyers" find it disgusting, and some didn't.  Moral of the story,  is everyone's guesses depending on what is your perspective in life.

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

"Everything in SG is so expensive!" is the topic for discussion & I would want just to focus on the topic.

1. No deny, the topic is factually correct.

2. And the source of the problem is because of housing price.

3. Today the HDB housing price is very much higher than our parent's time. Beside the examples given in my previous input, I heard that a 3-room flat in Toa Payoh in the 60's cost only $5000 to $6000, that's unbelievable. Real AFFORDABLE HOUSINGno one can dispute on this statement, the citizens were happy & the Government was proud of this.

4. Who's to be blame for this days the sky-rocketing prices? Both the Government & the HDB occupants.

5. If my memory is accurate, I recalled the previous-previous minister in charge of public housing did mention that "how can public housing selling so much cheaper that private condominiums? Must be close but below...." bla bla bla...

6. Prices went un-check / un-control in the 70s, 80s & 90s, everybody was happy, especially the HDB dwellers, for there was a good reason to sell high matching the price of new release. It was indeed an asset to own a HDB as claimed by both the Government & citizens.

7. 30 years, 45 years or what ever years we can suggest, but what is the point? Why there is a need of retirement home? It is real sad that people working whole life for the house but is not able to keep it enjoying the fruits / hard works they putting in, just because don't have sufficient CPF for retirement.

8. To resolve this housing agony is almost impossible, causes housing price can only go up and not down. Thousands & thousands of HDB existing dwellers who still have outstanding payments will go bust if HDB start selling the new units cheaply. Banks & any financial institutions would ask people to pay up the difference as to reflect the new lower housing price. 

To solve the HDB issue is easy. You do not neesd to be a million dollar minister to solve this problem.

All HDB should be sold at a fix price. If buy direct from government:

3 room-$35,000

4 room-$40,000

5 room-$45,000

If buy resale:

3room-$40,000

4room-$45,000

5roo.-$50,000

No agents allowed, all to be handled by HDB at no charge. 

New homeowners should be given government grant of $20,000 1st time and $15,000 2nd time. Only 2 times allowed.

All units are kept 99years. After 50 years, owners are allowes to sell back ti HDB at 90% of selling price factoring inflation, 60 years, 80%,70 years 70%, 80 years 60%,90 years 50%, end of 99 years 40%. This will ensure some cash will be returned to home owners to help fund their new flats.

All HDB should only be basic, nothing fancy as what we want are affordable homes and not fancy things like gardens, parks, lift at every floor etc.

You see, I am alble to solve this simple problems and I am not paid millions. All we need are ministers with heart and guts to think out of the box.

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

When bad things such as the increasing cost of living happen to a human being, the usual natural response for another human being is to empathise. Either this was not taught to you, or you lost your humanity a long time ago. 

But yet when husbands cheated on their wives, you have some everlasting compassion for those wives. Are you a hypocrite?

I can empathise that things get expensive, but unfortunately it is something that nobody can do much about it. It is the price of progress. It just means I will consume less of the item, or find substitutes. I was taught more that instead of complaining. figure out a solution. I have little empathy for whiners, since they do actually have the option to change their consumption patterns, but chose not to, and in some cases, feel entitled. 

My empathy towards your complaint about the increase costs of living is not going to change your life. My empathy for you will not bring the prices down. If it could, I will empathise more to make life easier for you. 

As for the case in point about cheating husbands and their wives, the difference in that situation is that we know who created the damage, and therefore the victim deserves comparison and support. With the situation of increasing costs of living, who is really responsible? The hawker who sold you the $5 bowl of noodles, or is it the landlord who is increasing the rent? Or is it the noodle supplier who is charging more because wheat farmers increased their prices? Or is it the transport company due to increases in fuel costs? You see with increasing costs of living, it is a much more complex situation and more parties are involved. With the wife, it is just one person. 

Love. 

Everything will get expensive over time be it on a small or large country. Be it a modern or backward country. Every one want to earn more money or be given more money but refuse to do more work to get it if they can. Like you the hawker want to get more money for his cooking as he too want the nice things like you do. Plus hawkers having to pay more for his ingredient as ingredient seller also want nice things like you. The govt can only meet you half and no more. The govt only deal at the macro level and expect the people to get involve and self run some of the situation themselves at the ground level. Your family is rich but will not give you more. Your family is too poor to give you more. stealing is a crime unless you  can get away with it.

So.... GIVEN what I just say could be happening or treat it as a scenario.

What DO YOU DO to take the grievance bitching off your back and make you happier? SIMPLE  SHORT ANSWER...KEEP WORKING TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE THRU ADAPTATION and HARD WORK. You snooze you lose.

Wall too high? learn to jump higher. Adapt. That is how normal human do it for centuries. No idea what parents you have but life does not give you more then you deserve. You either do or die. That is the law of evolution and survival as a specie. Some will die by the side (you?) and those that survive ...grows to fight another day. Life is a mean bitch. You should be so lucky till you see how others live in worst situation than you and your "first world problem" worries. Don't like what I say? Well this is TOUGH LOVE baby. Get on with it.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

9 hours ago, upshot said:

Like you the hawker want to get more money for his cooking as he too want the nice things like you do. Plus hawkers having to pay more for his ingredient as ingredient seller also want nice things like you.

Hawker nowadays not easy oso, everything more and more ex, and so many ancillary charges, most ridiculous is the gross turnover profit percentage.

http://www.tremeritus.net/2018/09/06/ntuc-foodfare-imposes-more-than-2k-ancillary-charges-on-top-of-1-6k-rental-on-hawkers/

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2018/09/03/social-enterprise-operator-says-600-monthly-inspection-fee-optional-but-hawkers-dispute-this/

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I'm not too sure did this so-called Guest had read my post with thorough understanding before making his reply, in particular on point #8. 

It is pointless to prolong this interaction unless the proposal are intellectual & sensible. 

Trying hard to be diplomatic, but right in my mind resonating with this phrase: Please don't talk cock & sing song. Your input not even worth a five cents from me.           

Sorry, no hard feeling please. There shall be no further reply from me.

People like you complaint and complaint but actually you want to buy your hdb low and want to sell for as high as possible.

No suggestions from you. Only complaint and complaint.

Guest crazy poor asian
16 hours ago, upshot said:

What DO YOU DO to take the grievance bitching off your back and make you happier? SIMPLE  SHORT ANSWER...KEEP WORKING TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE THRU ADAPTATION and HARD WORK. You snooze you lose.

Sadly the modern economy doesn’t operate quite like that. Increasing one’s labors doesn’t necessarily increase one’s profits. Just ask the cleaner who earns $900 a month and takes a second part-time job to put her kid through uni. Then ask one of those ‘crazy rich asians’ counting their trust fund money while living it up at Costa del Who Cares. 

Remember that old saying “money makes money”? When people express concerns about growing inequality in advanced economies, it’s with a fear that the have-nots become increasingly entrenched in poverty and their realistic chances of pulling out dwindle.

In fact that’s the dark side of capitalism, and the issue of property ‘ownership’ hits at the heart of the problem in Singapore. Why does everyone want to be the landlord? Because shake leg also can make money. And if you not satisfied, want to earn more, just raise the rent! Need to work harder meh?

So when Singaporeans buy into the idea of HDB home ownership as a capital asset, to potentially be monetized, they’ve done the deal with the devil. The collective expectation of asset appreciation is the chain that binds everyone who buys into the system. 

Guest No money no talk

People like you complaint and complaint but actually you want to buy your hdb low and want to sell for as high as possible.

LKY:  What's wrong with wanting more money?

13 hours ago, Guest Hawkee said:

I agree...with you but what I was doing is come up with a set of scenarios and ask if all this are like that and no way you can change it.. so what else can you do to take yourself out of the situation... As a saying goes.. if you can not in any way change the world you live in, then the only way you can alleviate your suffering and discomfort is to be better, to improve and do better so you earn more and have value ... ways to future proof yourself AS MUCH as you can against inflation and every increasing cost. Crying me a river in a forum from month after month will solve nothing if things can not be changes to make one happy to "their' standard or demands.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Absolutely correct. But unfortunately how many of us have our salaries increased by 5 times when a 5-room flat selling from 75k to half a million, a 6.7 times increment on pricing (direct from HDB, not resale)????? How's to catch-up with such huge price variation?

Salary for a fresh graduate was around 2000 in the 80s, maybe we should it raise up to 10000.

Well you can't then... it is what it is.. as I said for those who can't get what they want to the level; they expect... well .. life's like that too. It is what it is. Yes unfair. I agree but you are not alone if your best still can not make it to help you get what you want. Lower your standard is one I guess but yes sometime how much lower can you go as you might feel. I get that too but you have the power to make do with what you have. give up what you don't need. And be happy with what you can afford. No shame in living with less. But at the same time, work to find ways to improve then to stand still and wait for things to change.

I know that and I know what you feel. I have been there...not once but a few times in my many decades of living.. we call it ups and downs. Some of the time we made bad choices ourslves and sometime life just throw us a curve ball. It's a challenge. Look at it that way or you can choose to look at it as your life is curse, you are unlucky to be born here in Singapore.. Until once can see things from another perspective one will never find peace with him or herself. I found my solution but that does not mean I am out of the woods myself. I am still pushing forward. Making changes where I can and if I need to drop my spending or re-priorities what I need versus what I want. I think I can make it.

It's hard folk. Some of us hurting more then others. But there is no euphoric Utopia solution.

Edited by upshot

3 hours ago, Larry said:

but am very much concerned on the younger generation, this includes my niece & two nephews, how can they survive with sky rocketing on the housing price, how can they retire comfortably upon completion of the more than 25 years housing loans? 

Regards,

Ever consider letting them inherit your house once you are gone, to save your worry?

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Dear friend, thanks for your encouragement.

I belong to the older era with the following characteristics,

1.      House fully paid up within 5 years’

2.      As such I'm having more than enough CPF saving for my retirement.

For me, I don’t believe in cashing out my HDB flat for the following reasons,

1.      You sell high but you buy high too,

2.      The location is superb, central of Singapore,

3.      I had utilized the two chances of buying an HDB flat, so the next one I have to pay much higher from the open market.

I have no qualm on my immediate future living as long as using my saving carefully, but am very much concerned on the younger generation, this includes my niece & two nephews, how can they survive with sky rocketing on the housing price, how can they retire comfortably upon completion of the more than 25 years housing loans? 

Regards,

Talk cock..where got people take 5 years to pay housing loan.even when hdb 1st started. Dun talk cock.

Guest no one mentioned

Talk cock..where got people take 5 years to pay housing loan.even when hdb 1st started. Dun talk cock.

hehehe ........ my partner and i also paid up housing loan in 5 years becos got special lower interest loan and the upfront cash part , we paid up the cash part more than half of the loan. 

And then everyyear , midvyear bonus and year end bonus all went to service the mortage and pay down the principal....

Now . the house is mortage free and we are free from debtors....

of course, there are people who pay down housing loan in 5 years...

We are in the minority......dont like the feeling of scales dangling over our heads..

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

Gosh, what a sour grape 葡萄. You sounded sad & mournful, too bad, can't make it.

Wow..where did that come from...all I question you is abt your so called 5 year loan. Which I know is highly unlikely...but you went on an attack on personal level...

Most people including cash rich will increase their term for loan because the interest rate is historically very low. We use these monies to invest as returns outstrips interest.

But well, you do not know how to defend yourself so you attack personally....goes to show you are a fake.

Like what you said about the 75k 5 room flat in tampenis and I told you we bought our flat at about sametime for aboyt $125k in a brand new estate called bukit gombak....faker.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, Larry said:

Dear friend, thanks for your encouragement.

I belong to the older era with the following characteristics,

1.      House fully paid up within 5 years’

2.      As such I'm having more than enough CPF saving for my retirement.

For me, I don’t believe in cashing out my HDB flat for the following reasons,

1.      You sell high but you buy high too,

2.      The location is superb, central of Singapore,

3.      I had utilized the two chances of buying an HDB flat, so the next one I have to pay much higher from the open market.

I have no qualm on my immediate future living as long as using my saving carefully, but am very much concerned on the younger generation, this includes my niece & two nephews, how can they survive with sky rocketing on the housing price, how can they retire comfortably upon completion of the more than 25 years housing loans? 

Regards,

We are almost in the same boat but my house I share with my parent.. its fully paid and in my name. I will die in this house I am sure heh...For the younger generation, they have to slog like we did to some extent. It is inevitable. Good things never come easy. Ever. 

I feel our youngster has not known hardship and it shows.. each batch of youngsters interns that work at the place I work.. more then half my age and work is slow, a little bit too much physical or mental work and they break down and need a rest or give up. Worry about hem is not enough if you can not often them tough love and more discipline. Only the strong will make it and if you do not try, you can not even make the passing grade. It's like learning to do the marathon. If you do not push yourself over time, you find it a struggle to do a 42 km run but do it often enough you make it look like a piece of cake that you can run backward. That is what I see... when some people say it is hard work and tiring but who are they comparing themselves with?> If they can only compare their work load with the average or worst below average buddy... you are not going make it far.

Human are resilient and if your nephews and nieces has that in them to find their wiay like we have to. We like to think the next generation should be spared the hardship we went thru but seriously without those ... we might not be laughing now and always blaming someone else for our failing. The path and responsibility is always in us to make it or lose it. And yes even with the best laid plan, things can still fuck up. What can we do? We try to help each other. We try to encourage and not just give you a helping hand or cash but we have to teach you how to earn more as well.

As the saying goes roughly in a saying.... If you come across a poor village, do you keep throwing money and food at the village to keep everyone alive or do you teach them how to fish and grow their own crop?

I worry for our future Singaporean but I feel we are doing them an injustice if we are always Mr Good guy and always overly positive and paying lip service but really not getting our hands dirty with them and not try to use tough love to show them the way. It is not an easy way but that is what makes certain they will be strong to face the good with the bad.

Edited by upshot

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.