Male HQ

Singapore's LGBTQ News & Section 377A Discussion (compiled)

groyn88

I think head nodding in front of a camera is incredibly needless because it is so manufactured.

I have always believed that the parliament and laws are separate from one another in order to offer checks and balances to safeguard human rights and our nation's resources.  Any one-sided acts or decisions, particularly those made by a self-serving party, are bad for our society.   Thus, This idea that the Parliament has the last say makes me uncomfortable because it could allow a certain religious group to gain access to top official positions of power and influence, thus threatening votes against potential good compassionate government.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:42 AM, Guest Repeal said:

Most likely the pink votes will wipe a few seats away from the oppositions.

Not exactly.  LGBT primarily cares about policies affecting their bread and butter issues and will cast the votes along those issues.  Repealing S377A is secondary and a bonus deal.  I've never cast my votes based on whether  S377A is repealed, but whether outsiders will steal my lunch.   Instead of saying the pink votes matters,  it is the "wearing white" votes that our politicians fear the most of losing.

Can we start a petition to enforce laws on other people which does not affect myself? Say,

- bring back the law that says oral sex is illegal between heterosexuals

- make abortion illegal so to increase the birth rates

- make women without voting rights

- no testing of embryos for genetic defects

- no IVF

- no medical treatment

- closure of red-light districts, including special ktvs

- massage parlors with non-same sex (male and female should not have skin contact of any kind)

- reduce to marriage age to 16 or 14

- ban the sale of condoms, alcohol, cigarettes

Will they support these or only cherry pick on what they want based on how it will not affect them.

1 hour ago, Since u r here said:

this is disapting! https://mothership.sg/2022/11/wp-mps-on-377a/?utm_source=tele&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ms

Dennis Tan, Gerald Giam & Faisal Manap reject repeal

even sylvia abstained from voting

only LO Pritam and Leon Perera supports both repeal & constitutional amendment

this is a double edge sword. it is better to be careful.

12 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

the WP has no official stand

and the real meaning of the whip ie to whip only during voting but MP are still free to share and express!

https://fb.watch/h6fIgjoIOi/

By having no official stand is already making a stand on where they stand. 

It is like a yes or no question. Do you support the repeal of Section 377a? Yes or no. Simple as that. By refusing to give an answer with no clear explanation behind the thought process tells you they didn't really put much thought into it. 

Love. 

9 hours ago, doncoin said:

It is like a yes or no question. Do you support the repeal of Section 377a? Yes or no. Simple as that. By refusing to give an answer with no clear explanation behind the thought process tells you they didn't really put much thought into it. 

Quite frankly, am a bit disappointed with WP.

This is concerning the simple rights of gay people, to get rid of this discriminatory antiquated law.

Such as basic basic thing, and they are unable to support it???

Maybe I'm dumb. But what have policies got to do with friends? Are their friends talking to them about 377A? Or are they having sex and the conversation goes like this,

G: you know ah, we are breaking the law now you know

P: ah, deeper, dont stop

Politicians are just a vehicle to present views of their constituencies?

On 11/30/2022 at 7:20 AM, doncoin said:

I believe there is no single person in the party who is influential enough to make a final stand on behalf of the party & for those who oppose the decision to hold their peace. It shows a weakness in the leadership 

From the debate, we could tell that there are many MPs in the white party which are not in favour of the repeal but someone (or a few) has put the foot down to say that is the final stand of the party.

I may be wrong but I am inclined to think that it is a farewell gift from the current leaders before they hand it over to the next generation of leadership. I am very thankful & feel it is extremely crucial guessing who is going to be the next law minister & how far he has gone to support kong hee. 

Edited by robin

• 8 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.