Male HQ

Blindspots in Life

tomcat

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Stumbled upon this during my studies into Theosophy.
I believe it is very much related to this forum (and IRL too.

Why we see things differently, Why we argue
but ultimately, why we are stronger together than apart.

Peace to all.

u r a student? or reading masters?

17 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

So learned

when i thk of work, i immed felt disgusted abt studying

mayb nt the studious type

i hated my uni studies

i remember my uni days was hard but fun. working part time and doing assignments, presentations, papers, maintaining scholarship, grades and social life. it was a full time job in itself. thinking back now, I didn't know how I even managed all that, but it did teach me hardcore time management skills 

one of the benefits today in regards to work, seniority and experience is that you learn control your sphere of influence and free up your timing around work schedules.

overall, i have better work life balance now than when i was in uni - which means, i do get time to study what i like and spend time on new interests and skills.

that is something i am grateful for - because Life is more than work, or school. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

56 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

Can see you r definitely not below med income level

those sitting at those positions, tend to b able to “balance” and have time to thk of various perspectives

happy learning

hmm, no leh. i think i've mentioned in other related posts about life and finance, I earn average. there was an annual salary calculator, and based on the results, my annual is is higher than only 29.1% of all resident taxpayers.

which means i am quite low, earning barely higher than 30% of the overall taxpayers in Singapore.

keep in mind though that residents earning $20k and below annually do not pay tax so they were not included in the calculations.

between our combined, it is more than enough for two guys, we are also minimalists. so we take on all resources (time, money, health, space etc) as aspects to refine and streamline. part of the practice is to keep everything running as smooth as possible with as little resources or effort needed.

I think that would explain how it is all in equilibrium. money does play a part, but only a secondary role. a lot of it is focus, clarity and intention, which meditation and studies like theosophy assist in. 

seeing things from a bigger perspective frees me from the micro-stresses. and over time, i can manage and eliminate the micro-stresses so that the overall functions better with more breathing room. it's one of the philosophies looking at sphere of influence.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

(though this is not a topic on income)

higher than 30% of the overall taxpayers in Singapore. is still not mid income???? it is above the line already

at your level, senior level, shd be able to source from the right source and read basic stats right?
http://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Income-Summary-Table.aspx

Gross Monthly Income From Work

Median Gross Monthly Income From Work (Including Employer CPF Contributions) of Full-Time Employed Residents

Mid-Year 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
  Levels ($) 2,543 2,897 2,927 3,000 3,249 3,480 3,705 3,770 3,949 4,056 4,232

even if u infer, u can easily guess the ave income/salary from newspaper articles
http://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/IncomeTimeSeries.aspx
even if i dont know i can easily speculate your salary level (not cos i m an expert in this area) based on your prev writeups on non-income related topics, but i hate to get too personal by making this reply as though i m ....

U r just being humble 

Edited by lovehandle

Hmm correct me if i am wrong, but the results being:

"Your annual income is higher than 29.1% of all resident taxpayers."

Doesn't it means that upon a meter of lowest and highest bracket incomes,

I only come in at 29.1%.

Which mean that the results of  a high income individual will then read something like:

"Your annual income is higher than 99.1% of all resident taxpayers." - meaning it is higher than the 99.1% of the majority. 

1956596160_ScreenShot2018-09-11at1_40_04PM.thumb.png.14d19a5abdb2a76a7e42005e79c495ea.png

At least this is how i read it, and based on what feels accurate.

The way the result is phrased makes one feel it is higher because of the language "Higher than" but it is the percentage that is more indicative.

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

54 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Hmm correct me if i am wrong, but the results being:

"Your annual income is higher than 29.1% of all resident taxpayers."

Doesn't it means that upon a meter of lowest and highest bracket incomes,

I only come in at 29.1%.

Which mean that the results of  a high income individual will then read something like:

"Your annual income is higher than 99.1% of all resident taxpayers." - meaning it is higher than the 99.1% of the majority. 

1956596160_ScreenShot2018-09-11at1_40_04PM.thumb.png.14d19a5abdb2a76a7e42005e79c495ea.png

At least this is how i read it, and based on what feels accurate.

The way the result is phrased makes one feel it is higher because of the language "Higher than" but it is the percentage that is more indicative.

i dont get this ? who is 29% and who is 99%?

u? 29 v 99 is a wide disparity

17 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

i dont get this ? who is 29% and who is 99%?

u? 29 v 99 is a wide disparity

14 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

and do share where is the exact link to derive such a chart, need to know its credibility
U seemed to trust such website?

umm, it's already very clearly stated in the previous posts actually.

I am in the 29.% percentile, but I illustrated with the chart what it would look like for someone with a big annual income, for  example, someone at the 99% percentile.

i think the confusing part is the way the result has been phrased, as it suggests that the income is 29% or 99% more than average taxpayers. but this is not what it means at all.

maybe you can get another pair of eyes to see and explain? I'm not sure how much else clearer it could be from my end. Or maybe another forum user can come in and explain in a better way?  haha. 

my initial results were actually part of my financial advisory benefits. they aggregate annually, using the latest median calculations for taxes and just go through it in portfolio review. but you can use this one below, it is similar:

https://www.salary.sg/2017/compare-your-annual-income-2017/

hope that clarifies!

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

43 minutes ago, Guest Blank said:

So that's the reason why straights repeal against 377a?

Or gays failed to see the reason why aren't they repealing against 377a?

In a summarised way, I would say yes.

For straight and close-minded, it is the duty for them to let this statute stay, because it represents what is right in this society.

For gays and straights who are open-minded, it is their duty to abolish this, because it represents something wrong within the society.

Both sides feel they are correct in their actions, but there is actually a deeper truth to things...

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

would this help? @tomcat (tomcat , u liked tom and jerry?)
though one may deemed 29th percentile is low (this website picked the 25th - 75th percentile to reflect the average) 
Actually ave is not median 
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/career/average-salary-singapore/ (u can see that 2800 sgd as an tech, is in between the 25th to 75th percentile of all those comp technicians, comparing apples to apples)

or use this (but the latest version is 2017) http://stats.mom.gov.sg/iMAS_PdfLibrary/mrsd-Labour-Force-in-Singapore-Advance-Release-2017.pdf#page=6

but gd news is "Income growth at the 20th percentile higher than median" 

Shall change topic le

Popular jobs Average salary in Singapore (Median) Salary range (Gross, 25th – 75th percentile)
Computer technician (including IT user helpdesk technician) $2,800 $2,250 to $3,547
Graphic designer $3,000 $2,550 to $3,749
Public relations / Corporate communications professional $3,500 $2,990 to $4,181
Psychologist $3,828 $3,445 to $4,415
Auditor (accounting) $3,400 $3,100 to $4,300
Pharmacist $4,347 $3,710 to $5,637
Registered nurse and other nursing professional (e.g. clinical nurse, nurse educator, excl enrolled nurse) $3,803 $3,100 to $4,792
Journalist $3,483 $3,070 to $4,757
Technical sales professional $4,098 $3,452 to $5,184
Mechanical engineer $4,640 $3,770 to $5,533
Accountant (excl tax accountant)   $4,797 $4,108 to $5,734
Real estate agent (Note: 2016’s statistics)  $4,980 $4,500 to $6,200 
Industrial and production engineer $4,650 $3,906 to $5,638
Financial / Investment advisor (e.g. relationship manager) (Note: 2016’s statistics)  $5,287 $3,610 to $8,950
Electronics engineer $5,300 $4,140 to $6,600
Management and business consultant $5,933 $4,358 to $9,000
Systems analyst $5,640 $4,350 to $7,316
Civil engineer $5,175 $4,018 to $6,650
Data scientist (Note: 2016’s statistics)  $6,279 $5,505 to $7,836
Human resource consultant (excl executive search consultant) $5,900 $4,600 to $7,866

Compliance officer / Risk analyst (financial)

not sure is this too chim?http://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Labour-Force-In-Singapore-2017.aspx

$8,100 $5,340 to $12,480

4 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

the phrasing on that link has some problem 
but it did say
"If you make $100k yearly, you are at the 76.9th percentile" 

it is percentile

yup, exactly - now you got it! so you see,  im not high earning as you'd like to believe. I am just a normal person, below average in fact in the eyes of aggregate, haha. 

I think when i describe what i have learnt, achieve and actively practice in my life, the fastest and laziest assumption is always that "oh must be rich lah, of course can".

but like i mentioned, money is secondary. without focus, intention and clarity, even if one earns 50K per month, he will still be penniless, in debt or have money troubles. one quote that i always go back to:

178459-W-C-Fields-Quote-A-rich-man-is-no

so i think in this scenario, if you feel discomfort or disbelieve, it is largely because you are being challenged - to figure out how and whether you can do the same in your own life. why not? nothing is stopping you, except for societal conditioning.

learning to deconstruct what you need in your life to be happy vs what society says you need is the first major step. 

when the spirit is rich, the body needs ltitle else apart from Life it honours.
best of luck

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

On 9/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, tomcat said:

41457261_1848731125164778_60534084855912

41429875_1848731185164772_31819656870483

41443963_1848731251831432_22331343281984

Stumbled upon this during my studies into Theosophy.
I believe it is very much related to this forum (and IRL too.

Why we see things differently, Why we argue
but ultimately, why we are stronger together than apart.

Peace to all.

Illuminati?

23 minutes ago, tomcat said:

In a summarised way, I would say yes.

For straight and close-minded, it is the duty for them to let this statute stay, because it represents what is right in this society.

For gays and straights who are open-minded, it is their duty to abolish this, because it represents something wrong within the society.

Both sides feel they are correct in their actions, but there is actually a deeper truth to things...

a crazy rich asian will disagree with your quote 
A rich man can be contributing at somewhere needing of him too, cos we are not giving a gd life or a bad life, we are given a life up to us to make it rich or poor....e.g.  the Claire and the Ho Ping, they r damned rich w banyan tree 

U can quote things that is more apt like  'Empty pockets teaches u a million things but full pockets tend to spoil u somehow"

17 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Well said. 

May I add 3 cents worth -  I read it somewhere and it just etch in my mind:

Some people are rich, some people have money. 

I always share that with my friends yet, most associate rich = money. 

Thanks for sharing! 

I agree, over time I also realised that there a few types of relationships one can have with money, outside from the widely accepted notion that Money equals to Power.

After attending financial seminars and just general rich-people type settings, I realise they view money as Opportunity, first and foremost. Money means simply options or avenues to explore, more money means more options.

But in financially deprived situations, certainly from my own lower middle class upbringing, the relationship is more emotion-based. Due to fear and issues of financial security, the handling of money becomes a bit dire and unhealthy. For those in this predicament, perception is rife that money is the key to happiness and solution to all problems.

While not exactly rolling in dough, I try to be mindful and adopt the former. I find it helps me to reframe what I want to get/achieve out of the money, be it an experience, object, outcome or anything else.

Just from the minimalist practice alone, I am able to clarify within myself my wants and needs, and if something is not achievable at any given time, it is because there is a lack of opportunity, rather than "oh no, i have no money, so poor sigh".

And what I have come to notice is that slowly but surely, if the intention is truthful and aligned with my Life, the opportunity will usually arise and be made available eventually.

It takes the stress out of thinking that there is never enough money to go around. So while we can never be the richest, when things are viewed in terms of opportunity rather than emotional attainment, it allows them to still be achieved outside of the limitations of cash flow.

I believe in the big scheme of things, this also further creates a distinction between those that are rich and those that are wealthy. I have observed that there is a small but significant difference between the two, largely due to the relationship and handling of the money itself.

It supports the quote that you have shared as well!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 2 weeks later...

I also think like Tomcat that opportunity is the key.   Money may be a more or less essential part in carrying out an opportunity, but money without opportunity is irrelevant.

Even the dictionary makes a distinction:  Wealth -> abundance of money,  Richness -> abundance of things in general.

I like Theosophy being more abstract than Theology. And the abstraction is not just intellectual but it strongly involves feelings.  Love, empathy, altruism, detachment... 

But then comes along the idea that feelings don't necessarily reflect reality,  and so even theosophy is speculative at most.

42 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I like Theosophy being more abstract than Theology. And the abstraction is not just intellectual but it strongly involves feelings.  Love, empathy, altruism, detachment... 

But then comes along the idea that feelings don't necessarily reflect reality,  and so even theosophy is speculative at most.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I would like to make a slight correction/addition.

While feelings, by way of Intuition, is a component of Theosophy, the rest that you have mentioned are not quite standard. It is for this reason that there exists a dark side to Theosophy - especially when it encroaches onto the occult studies.

For a movement that is already as esoteric as Theosophy, these dark arts once accessed can be abused very easily - this is often done in the direct opposite of love, empathy etc. It has powered some individuals to do some questionable things at their own detriment, first and foremost.

When practiced with discernment, what Theosophy offers is open access to spiritual information about our physical and spiritual reality outside the lens of dogma. There is no judgement of right and wrong when reading a text or teaching -  which is where Intuition, Clarity and Intention comes in once again. Another collective term for it is Sophia Perennis, (Perennial Wisdom) - This is often a separate study in itself. 

Sophia Perennis is not speculative, but rather a predilection to look and access certain truths and information that are important to you and in many instances, only to you. It functions as an inner compass for those who learn to access it, making Theosophy a very active, engaged however singular exploration into Spirituality, unlike mainstream practice of attending church, bible studies, making merits, observing prayers, festivals etc.

If anything, it tries to unite the spiritual layer of things into everyday ife, instead of it being sequestered into "prayer time", "church time", or "temple time". It is ON at all times, which is why I believe it is not more commonly practised or known, it requires a lifetime of commitment and opennes, focus, and often, inner drive. 

You will be tested, challenged, solicited - Truths will be made known, things will be revealed. And for some, this is more than what they bargained for and so, there are some who walk away from it and choose to go back into the matrix of everyday existence. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.