Male HQ

Pimple after shaving

Curious94

Hi All,

I shave regularly but recently I noticed that I grew a pimple on the top part of my penis (where the pubic hair usually grows). Not sure if its pimple actually, but its painful and a little bit swollen - any advise?

"A life spent not doing the things you love is not a life worth living"

Not exactly pimple but an irritated/infected hair follicle (usually) caused by ingrown hair.

I'm not a shave master but this is how I usually shave.

1. Prepare the skin/hair with warm water, basically take a warm shower. Not lukewarm, warm, almost steaming water if you must. If you don't like warm showers then just spray warm water on your pubes for like a minute.

2. Apply shaving cream (shower gels works well too) and get to work.

3. Never shave against the grain. This basically means you should never shave against the flow of your hair, always shave in the direction where your hair is growing towards. Shaving against the grain yields a smoother result but it also irritates your skin more.

4. Rinse shaved area with cool / cold water, to your preference.

5. Moisturise the shaved area. I cannot stress how important this last step is. Even if you only moisturise once after shaving, it helps a ton in alleviating skin irritation.

Also, if you happen to have body scrub (you know, those shower gels that comes with scrubbing beads and whatnot), feel free to exfoliate the shaved area. This is step 4.5, and is optional but good to do if you really want to prevent those "pimples".

But note that doing all these still doesn't 100% prevent those bumps. Sometimes I get them too, and I have to squeeze the ingrown hair out. Good to have anti-inflammatory cream with you when this happens. Also, it can cause permanent scarring so if you don't want to deal with that then I suggest you opt for trimming instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 6:45 AM, Glyph said:

Not exactly pimple but an irritated/infected hair follicle (usually) caused by ingrown hair.

I'm not a shave master but this is how I usually shave.

1. Prepare the skin/hair with warm water, basically take a warm shower. Not lukewarm, warm, almost steaming water if you must. If you don't like warm showers then just spray warm water on your pubes for like a minute.

2. Apply shaving cream (shower gels works well too) and get to work.

3. Never shave against the grain. This basically means you should never shave against the flow of your hair, always shave in the direction where your hair is growing towards. Shaving against the grain yields a smoother result but it also irritates your skin more.

4. Rinse shaved area with cool / cold water, to your preference.

5. Moisturise the shaved area. I cannot stress how important this last step is. Even if you only moisturise once after shaving, it helps a ton in alleviating skin irritation.

Also, if you happen to have body scrub (you know, those shower gels that comes with scrubbing beads and whatnot), feel free to exfoliate the shaved area. This is step 4.5, and is optional but good to do if you really want to prevent those "pimples".

But note that doing all these still doesn't 100% prevent those bumps. Sometimes I get them too, and I have to squeeze the ingrown hair out. Good to have anti-inflammatory cream with you when this happens. Also, it can cause permanent scarring so if you don't want to deal with that then I suggest you opt for trimming instead.

Permanent scars from year of shaving or bumps skin tone seem to be Happening. How to reduce the scars and the bumpy tone? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.