Male HQ

Travelling Alone

Guest Guest Guest

Guest Guest Guest

If u were to travel alone, where will u go? I'm kinda introvert and always wanted to try travelling alone. Most of the time i go on a holiday i'm always with my friends and such i've never been able to try out the gay scene in other country.

If u have travel alone, whats country would u recommend to visit? what have u done there and what was fun about that place ?

I love travelling alone as well.

The downside of travelling alone:-

1) Accommodation: You have to bear the whole accommodation cost to yourself unlike with friends where you are able to share a twin room cost. But you can also always try to stay at hostels and meet other solo travellers.

2) Land Transportation: As WA6 mentioned, try to go countries where public transportation is readily accessible coz if not, you also have to bear the full cost by hiring a taxi or a car. If the later is unavoidable, would be much better if you stay at hostels and try to link up with other travellers and if they are interested to go, you can share the transportation cost.

My suggestion, go to the countries you have visited with your friends before, but this time, alone. Since you are already quite familiar with that country/surroundings, it would be just fine. Maybe add in few new places with gay scenes. :) 

Enjoy!

Another big downside of travel alone is u cant order a wide variety of food as no one to share with.....if u speak or understand mandarin, taipei is actually a good place, lots of food, shopping, scenery, hotel quite reasonable priced and getting around is easy, lots of gay venue and friendly people.

Guest pampered brats

On one hand you Singaporeans like to complain that you always have these busy body (kaypoh) family around you. Now you complain that you need to buy food on your own, can't share a cab if alone. Honestly, I think you are just out of this world.

Are you serious? Taxis in most Countries in Asia outside Singapore are so cheap. (maybe not for Europe or Australia). But anywhere else it is.

The city which you intend to travel alone depends on what you want to do?

Sightseeing or just dating guys and go with the local flow, both or more like hiking.

I would not go too far out from a city center. Like if you go to Melbourne, don't go to the suburbs because the guys might not want to visit you or in Asian cities the guys don't have the money to get to your location if it is too far out.

In my eyes there is no limit to travel anywhere. But for certain countries I would check if there are public holidays (shops might be closed and eating outlets full of people) or fasting seasons, when everything is closed or the people not very attentive.

I m a business traveler and mostly I will add on some days on my own to taste the local flavours (you can interpret this now as you like).

You can chat some time earlier with some local guys, in many countries guys would be willing to meet you and tour you around. It can be enjoyable but it can be annoying too if you don't like the guy or if he just brings you to fancy food outlets, shopping malls etc (Thai boys have that talent to go shopping with you on your costs, therefore, be careful). It is good to clarify what you like upfront.

But from my experience, the usual tour guys that you find on some of the apps who would tour you around are mostly nice guys. In certain countries like Malaysia they would like to complain that I walk too much, because everything beyond 150m they would take a car or taxi. Buying food for a second person wouldn't cost you much and the other plus is you can share different food.

At my last travel alone destination, which was Semarang, I met a very sweet 28 years old guy with pleasant English and we walked the whole "old town" on a bright hot sunny day. No worry he got rewarded later on at my hotel and I didn't mind him asking whether he could shower at my hotel. If you are lucky it can be a win win. We had very nice chats, laughter and the whole day was very entertaining for both of us. Despite the fact him offering to share the bill at a fancy restaurant, I insisted to pay. (it was less than a two person meal at Secret Recipe in Singapore). 

However, I never date any money or massage boys. The locals are mostly so kind to give me a free massage if I ask for it.

Accommodation must not be any downside too. You don't need to book into a 5 star hotel. There are plenty of options. In some countries AirbnB could be an option.

From my personal experience you must not stay alone in any foreign country if you don't wish to.

The better countries would be Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines.

The more adventurous countries: Laos, Myanmar, India, Sri Lanka, Cambodia.

Costlier: US and Europe.

Yap...traveling alone is cool in europe but not in asia, people are often surprised and ask u why got no friend, no gf or family to travel with? Not boring meh? Etc....

never believe u cant travel to a country just because u dont speak their language, of course if u do will be much easier....english is pretty universal and body language too + a smile

2 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Yap...traveling alone is cool in europe but not in asia, people are often surprised and ask u why got no friend, no gf or family to travel with? Not boring meh? Etc....

never believe u cant travel to a country just because u dont speak their language, of course if u do will be much easier....english is pretty universal and body language too + a smile

Yes...just e aware of your surroundings. Be polite and have an Open mind....read up in each country's culture on dos and donts.

Travel alone is really enjoyable, u can do whatever u want without thinking of others feeling. I had travel alone to BKK for twice. if you are lucky u can meet guy for ONS not MB. They can stay over with you if u ask them.  I will be traveling to taipei  this oct solo trip again.

Edited by whatupzz

9 hours ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

If u were to travel alone, where will u go? I'm kinda introvert and always wanted to try travelling alone. Most of the time i go on a holiday i'm always with my friends and such i've never been able to try out the gay scene in other country.

If u have travel alone, whats country would u recommend to visit? what have u done there and what was fun about that place ?

Having been in an open relationship for many years, I have traveled overseas on vacation mostly alone to enjoy some "sex tourism".  (always careful to bring back a nice present for my friend).

My recommendation for you would be Bangkok.  An ideal destination of friendly people with good understanding of English, and a strong gay scene.

Although there are many inexpensive hotels in the Silom area,  my favorite place to stay is at the barracks of Babylon sauna.  Not only is the place exclusively gay, with a community of foreigners experts in the Bangkok scene, but you get free entry to the sauna being a guest there. 

Prior to your trip, you can enjoy some research of the scene by looking in www.travelgayasia.com,  and reading comments at the forum www.gaythailand.com/forums

Never trust stranger especially those that offer to help u take photo, in places like egypt, turkey, they will probably ask for tips after taking photo for u, u dont pay then say goodbye to your camera....in certain places in europe and US, they might just run away with your camera, if really have to, safer to find a family with baby/ kids to take for u...anyway the most memorable picture should be those taken in by the brain and not by camera, if u know wat i mean.

43 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Never trust stranger especially those that offer to help u take photo, in places like egypt, turkey, they will probably ask for tips after taking photo for u, u dont pay then say goodbye to your camera....in certain places in europe and US, they might just run away with your camera, if really have to, safer to find a family with baby/ kids to take for u...anyway the most memorable picture should be those taken in by the brain and not by camera, if u know wat i mean.

Good advice!

And some more:  On a vacation trip you don't need to look important.  Leave behind all jewelry,  all expensive looking clothes,  all expensive wrist watches, gold chains, etc.  Look like a modest guy,  don't flash anything around except your naked body where it matters.  And, like Lonelyglobe suggests, don't take any offers, invitations from strangers but pass by them saying "thank you".   If you like to walk, take public transportation instead of taxis.  If you have a smartphone, don't forget to load the maps for the city you visit.  And take also a miniature compass to know your coordinates, they don't need to be charged.

Guest Paper map to save juice

Remember to bring along a paper map with you when you sightsee, as you wouldn’t want to use google maps all the time and drain your battery so fast you have to spend on a cab at the end of day to find your way back to hotel. You can usually pick up local maps at the hotel lobby.

49 minutes ago, Guest Paper map to save juice said:

Remember to bring along a paper map with you when you sightsee, as you wouldn’t want to use google maps all the time and drain your battery so fast you have to spend on a cab at the end of day to find your way back to hotel. You can usually pick up local maps at the hotel lobby.

No. Wrong. Thats a dead giveaway. Do some research on what to see and how to go there. Store info, maps, tranaport on mobile.

Guest Eyes on back of your head
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

No. Wrong. Thats a dead giveaway. Do some research on what to see and how to go there. Store info, maps, tranaport on mobile.

But some days you might want to wander and get lost to discover things not mentioned on any website or tourist guide. My asvice is keep a paper map with you in case your battery runs out. That way you can still find your way to places, landmarks, bus stops, tube stations, hotel, etc.

Just keep your eyes on strangers moving too close to you, learn to tell the locals going on their daily commute and errands apart from the migrants, tourist targeting hustlers and thieves.

Travelling alone has its perks.  You don't have to worry about the likes and dislikes of your travelling partners and you make all the decisions - what to do for the day, what to eat etc.  Best of all, you get to enjoy the local company.  In my years of being a solo traveller in my younger days, I have visited (and sometimes) stayed the night in the homes of local guys I meet on the streets while cruising or dudes I meet at bars and pickup places.  I have also spent the entire day doing nothing but cruise the parks and 'tea rooms'.   I remember spending the better part of the day by the nudist pool at the YMCA in Vancouver.  We have the freedom to do all of these when we are alone without having to make silly excuses to travel partners.

Missing those days of being a solo traveller.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, kimlo777 said:

Travelling alone has its perks.  You don't have to worry about the likes and dislikes of your travelling partners and you make all the decisions - what to do for the day, what to eat etc.  Best of all, you get to enjoy the local company.  In my years of being a solo traveller in my younger days, I have visited (and sometimes) stayed the night in the homes of local guys I meet on the streets while cruising or dudes I meet at bars and pickup places.  I have also spent the entire day doing nothing but cruise the parks and 'tea rooms'.   I remember spending the better part of the day by the nudist pool at the YMCA in Vancouver.  We have the freedom to do all of these when we are alone without having to make silly excuses to travel partners.

Missing those days of being a solo traveller.

Please do not follow his example of staying in strangers house when you are overseas.

Guest InBangkok

Like other posters I really enjoy travelling alone, sometimes more than travelling in a group. Other posters have made suggestions. But if the gay scene is your main criterion, then your decision depends on various factors including your designation being a well-known gay destination, whether you have the funds to travel a long distance or you prefer a shorter distance away from home, and with which nationality you like to have your sexual adventures.  

Planning your trip is part of the fun of travelling alone. In Asia Bangkok is pretty easy with a lot of different types of gay venues and lots of local sightseeing. Taipei can be great with several popular saunas, gay bars, one gay-ish hot spring - great for cruising but not for action - and the Red House complex which is packed at the week-end. Hong Kong is more expensive but has several gay outlets and more chance of meeting up with white guys. I have had lots of fun in Tokyo, love the culture, the food and the sightseeing, but there are not so many white guys.

For a longer distance, check on the internet for the best gay cities - and ask around here. Consider Australia. For vacations I like both Sydney and Melbourne. You'll find lots of Asians there but also lots of white guys who like being with Asians. Since I prefer to be with Asians, sex is only a minor consideration when I go to Europe or America, but many cities like Paris, Prague and Barcelona should be on your list. I love the coastal cities of Canada - especially Vancouver and Montreal. I find Australia and Canada now quite expensive but the European cities less so. And all have tons of things to do and sights to see.

The only other problem to consider is language. English gets you quite far in many cities/countries but you'll still need a phrase book. Better still, learn some phrases in advance. 

Guest Barcelona
5 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Like other posters I really enjoy travelling alone, sometimes more than travelling in a group. Other posters have made suggestions. But if the gay scene is your main criterion, then your decision depends on various factors including your designation being a well-known gay destination, whether you have the funds to travel a long distance or you prefer a shorter distance away from home, and with which nationality you like to have your sexual adventures.  

Planning your trip is part of the fun of travelling alone. In Asia Bangkok is pretty easy with a lot of different types of gay venues and lots of local sightseeing. Taipei can be great with several popular saunas, gay bars, one gay-ish hot spring - great for cruising but not for action - and the Red House complex which is packed at the week-end. Hong Kong is more expensive but has several gay outlets and more chance of meeting up with white guys. I have had lots of fun in Tokyo, love the culture, the food and the sightseeing, but there are not so many white guys.

For a longer distance, check on the internet for the best gay cities - and ask around here. Consider Australia. For vacations I like both Sydney and Melbourne. You'll find lots of Asians there but also lots of white guys who like being with Asians. Since I prefer to be with Asians, sex is only a minor consideration when I go to Europe or America, but many cities like Paris, Prague and Barcelona should be on your list. I love the coastal cities of Canada - especially Vancouver and Montreal. I find Australia and Canada now quite expensive but the European cities less so. And all have tons of things to do and sights to see.

The only other problem to consider is language. English gets you quite far in many cities/countries but you'll still need a phrase book. Better still, learn some phrases in advance. 

What do you recommend about Barcelona? I felt the sagrada familia, park guell and barcelonata beach supremely boring and overrated. La ramblas and the other shopping streets overly touristy and boring too. El born, barri gotic and mercato boqueria not quite as interesting or exciting as touted by tripadvisor, unlike the shopping, art and hidden culture in Les Marais Paris or Brick Lane London.

Their roman ruins and medieval buildings look borderline impressive, but they were rather piecemeal and scattered all over the place, unlike Rome. Hehe

I really want to like it and maybe return one day to explore more.

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 9:55 AM, LeanMature said:

Better to travel in pair than solo, if given a choice. If no bf or partner, even a travel buddy is fine.  And you don't have to stick together throughout,  certain days can go solo.

Thats right, free and easy, just sharing cost of accomodation, some meals and transport.

17 hours ago, Guest Barcelona said:

What do you recommend about Barcelona? I felt the sagrada familia, park guell and barcelonata beach supremely boring and overrated. La ramblas and the other shopping streets overly touristy and boring too. El born, barri gotic and mercato boqueria not quite as interesting or exciting as touted by tripadvisor, unlike the shopping, art and hidden culture in Les Marais Paris or Brick Lane London.

Their roman ruins and medieval buildings look borderline impressive, but they were rather piecemeal and scattered all over the place, unlike Rome. Hehe

I really want to like it and maybe return one day to explore more.

Been to most part of europe except spain, not sure about the attraction but very sure it is a place where u will almost experience your first time kena pick-pocket.

Guest Masculine btm
On 9/20/2018 at 12:26 PM, Guest Guest said:

Please do not follow his example of staying in strangers house when you are overseas.

You must have watched too much horror movies. Yes, there are weirdos out there, but fewer than getting plane crash.

It also depends on where it's safer or dangerous. East Asian countries like Thailand, Korea and Japan are most likely to be safe. Western countries like USA, UK and Europe are probably OK, you need to watch his mannerisms. Never ever do it in those gay hostile countries where they may set trap to lure gays.

There's probably more sex perverts out there who are actually quite harmless since I'm a sex pervert myself. I've been taken home in Bangkok and served to his friends like prostitute. I've been naked for the whole weekend serving as his  fuck toy in Australia. I've been taken to his friend's house for sex then left for his friend to use in London...

Guest Pick Pocketed
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

Been to most part of europe except spain, not sure about the attraction but very sure it is a place where u will almost experience your first time kena pick-pocket.

China eg. Shanghai subways, is also where you can also experience kenna pick pocketed, and they are extremely good you probably won't feel a thing. They carry lighters or small scissors/knives to burn/cut thru pockets, straps and they'd be gone before you realise. They also work in groups/syndicates and likely the subway security takes a cut - they won't do a damn thing too.

Guest Barcelona so bad?
12 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Thats right, free and easy, just sharing cost of accomodation, some meals and transport.

Is barcelona that unsafe? Thought that's paris and rome??? When I was there, did not sense anything amiss. People there were definitely chill and friendlier than people in other tourist traps and second-third line cities in Southern Europe like ercolano and santorini - women there were aggressive and savage like harpies!

So you've been to portugal, ireland, iceland, norway, sweden and finland? Must be so nice talking to people there

13 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Paris and rome was ok for me but turkey and greece got to be careful, basically those poorer countries with high unemployment rates are the one that need to be careful.....nice to talk but they are still strangers afterall.

Ppl from your so-called poorer countries are usually friendlier and more civilised. They may not have much but there aren't interested in your fancy gadgets but agreed we should still be careful with strangers. But you mention Paris... really?! 

Guest Misconceptions
44 minutes ago, barocco80 said:

Ppl from your so-called poorer countries are usually friendlier and more civilised. They may not have much but there aren't interested in your fancy gadgets but agreed we should still be careful with strangers. But you mention Paris... really?! 

You are talking about the rural towns and villages. I agree.

Lonelyglobe is not well informed about the places he had been to.

Paris is filled with con artists, hustlers, pickpockets and thieves. Especially in and around the metros and on the steps of Sacre Coeur. Those are extremely emboldened and known to operate in broad daylight among crowds, even in the presence of security personnels - who are more looking out for terrorist threats and drug smugglers.

Western Europe tourist centres are long infested with syndicated migrant gypsy pickpockets.

For Rome, avoid the area around the Rome termini station, especially near the atms. Snatch thieves known to occur to lone travellors around this area at night. Places around the monuments are actually quite safe as security are tight around those areas. As usual, just be aware of pickpockets in crowded places.

Strangely, i felt very safe in Naples, a mafia governed city filled with North African migrants and surprisingly, many friendly PRCs opened shop along the streets. I think reason is it is not a very tourist centric city. Syndicates of petty crimes like pickpockets tend to operate out of tourist centres like Rome, Milan, Paris, London, etc.

But still, as a gawky bumbling tourist or travellor, be wary of opportunistic individual pickpockets anywhere!

5 minutes ago, Guest Misconceptions said:

You are talking about the rural towns and villages. I agree.

Lonelyglobe is not well informed about the places he had been to.

Paris is filled with con artists, hustlers, pickpockets and thieves. Especially in and around the metros and on the steps of Sacre Coeur. Those are extremely emboldened and known to operate in broad daylight among crowds, even in the presence of security personnels - who are more looking out for terrorist threats and drug smugglers.

Western Europe tourist centres are long infested with syndicated migrant gypsy pickpockets.

For Rome, avoid the area around the Rome termini station, especially near the atms. Snatch thieves known to occur to lone travellors around this area at night. Places around the monuments are actually quite safe as security are tight around those areas. As usual, just be aware of pickpockets in crowded places.

Strangely, i felt very safe in Naples, a mafia governed city filled with North African migrants and surprisingly, many friendly PRCs opened shop along the streets. I think reason is it is not a very tourist centric city. Syndicates of petty crimes like pickpockets tend to operate out of tourist centres like Rome, Milan, Paris, London, etc.

But still, as a gawky bumbling tourist or travellor, be wary of opportunistic individual pickpockets anywhere!

Yes, the infamous steps of Sacre Coeur... Visited Paris twice and is enough this lifetime but if the guest above wanted to visit Paris it's still fine as long as be more vigilant. Known a friend from Italy and the locals don't even feel safe travelling in those mafia controlled places like Sicily. 

Guest InBangkok
On 9/20/2018 at 6:30 PM, Guest Barcelona said:

What do you recommend about Barcelona?

... I really want to like it and maybe return one day to explore more.

Remember that the OP is interested in gay tourism and is therefore looking for destinations where there is a thriving gay scene. Barcelona has lots of gay bars, saunas, two gay festivals in June and August, at least two gay beaches (one a nude gay beach) and clubs - probably more than anywhere else in Spain (although when I have been in Spain sex has not been a priority for reasons mentioned in my earlier post). If you are not into the unique architecture of Gaudi in several parts of the city, the various galleries/museums to Picasso and Miro for example, and a really fantastical amazing concert hall, the Palau de la Musica Catalonia which has tours around it on many days, plus generally just was walking around and soaking up the atmosphere with an occasional stop at a tapas bar,  then obviously you are not going to enjoy it much, unfortunately.

Guest InBangkok
41 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Dont need to well informed, i m safely back .....have been to most of the countries from my past 6 trips over a period of 20 years, yes there are still places i have not covered but beside europe, there are so many interesting places to visit too.

Have you been to the Caribbean or South America? I have always wanted to go to Cuba but not made it yet. South America is amazing and well worth the long distances. Rio is physically stunning (but be very careful about your valuables - do not wear anything worth stealing!), Buenos Aires is the Paris of South America and El Calfate in the south is the stopping point to see the huge Perito Moreno and other glaciers. You can also get across the border near there to see the Torres del Paine National Park with its stunning mountain range. Up in Peru, I met a couple of students in Cusco, the lovely old capital of the Inca Empire and the start point for your trip to Machu Picchu.

Lots of sex around. I only needed the apps. Never had to go near a gay bar or sauna.

Guest Barcelonaa
5 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Remember that the OP is interested in gay tourism and is therefore looking for destinations where there is a thriving gay scene. Barcelona has lots of gay bars, saunas, two gay festivals in June and August, at least two gay beaches (one a nude gay beach) and clubs - probably more than anywhere else in Spain (although when I have been in Spain sex has not been a priority for reasons mentioned in my earlier post). If you are not into the unique architecture of Gaudi in several parts of the city, the various galleries/museums to Picasso and Miro for example, and a really fantastical amazing concert hall, the Palau de la Musica Catalonia which has tours around it on many days, plus generally just was walking around and soaking up the atmosphere with an occasional stop at a tapas bar,  then obviously you are not going to enjoy it much, unfortunately.

Just the gothic and medieval ambience..... reviews of the picasso museum is a mix bag, mainly concerns of housing not his best works, citing better picasso museums in other cities. I’ve heard nice things about the opera theatre, seemed like it’s visited mainly for its elaborate architectural facade? 

Tapas, pinchos and sangrias were the only highlight of the trip for me, sadly. Especially the pinchos. The melon fragrance infused sangria blanc i had in Barcelonata beach was so flavorful and refreshingly potent it blew every fruit based cocktail i’ve ever had in my life out of the water! Paella in Barcelona is not that good, unlike in Valencia where it originated. 

The gay clubs there seemed boring too, though i’ve never been there, and the casanova sauna was spacious with great Mediterranean disco vibes but the out of shape crowd was a major disappointment during my visit. Ha

Was there last fall, hope to visit again during summer time. Didn’t feel much Spanish passion during cold season.

7 hours ago, barocco80 said:

Yes, the infamous steps of Sacre Coeur... Visited Paris twice and is enough this lifetime but if the guest above wanted to visit Paris it's still fine as long as be more vigilant. Known a friend from Italy and the locals don't even feel safe travelling in those mafia controlled places like Sicily. 

Sicily is a GEM and a HUGE area to cover! RICH CULTURE, HISTORY, FOOD AND ARCHITECTURE. Mafia or not, it is on my bucket list, right before latin american cuba, havana, panama, rio, buenos aires, etc. Machu pichu looked boring....

Guest InBangkok
11 hours ago, Guest Barcelonaa said:

Just the gothic and medieval ambience..... reviews of the picasso museum is a mix bag, mainly concerns of housing not his best works, citing better picasso museums in other cities. I’ve heard nice things about the opera theatre, seemed like it’s visited mainly for its elaborate architectural facade? 

Surely if you want to see the best of the best, then you have no alternative - you have to visit a whole mixed bag of cities. You are correct. The Barcelona Picasso Museum does not have his best work. For that you must visit at least Madrid and Paris. But if you can afford just one city and Picasso is not your main reason for visiting, it gives at least an idea of some his work.  The same is true of the opera house. I actually think you are mistaken about the Teatro Liceo, the Opera House. To me the facade is nothing special because it just looks like part of an ordinary  street frontage that also includes shops and apartments. In fact, the interior is nothing special either, especially if you have seen the opera houses in Milan, Budapest or London. But once again, it's impossible to expect the best in every city.

I actually think you may be meaning the concert hall which I mentioned earlier, the Palau de la Musica Catalonia concert hall. Both the exterior architecture and the interior are totally unique and quite stunning. I knew nothing about it before my first visit and only stumbled on it when I was wandering around the city. Isn't that part of the joy of travelling? 

19 hours ago, barocco80 said:

Trick is to blend in...simple trick for travelling alone.

Ditch your camera and do not ever sling it over your neck. Do not take a map. Snap it on your phone. Find out how to reach your destination before your leave, write it on your phone.

Do not wear jeans. Yes....wear what you wear in your office...or at least smart casual...do not over do your looks as thats a dead giveaway. Do not wear a cap in paris ever.

Also a small tip....take your old non noise calcelling ear phones and wear it..but of cos do not listen to music....

Paris has many cultures..so these people may think you stay there and leave you alone.

Be very aware of your surroundings and register with MFA...screenshot and write its number and address down.

Guest Whirlwind tour
1 hour ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Surely if you want to see the best of the best, then you have no alternative - you have to visit a whole mixed bag of cities. You are correct. The Barcelona Picasso Museum does not have his best work. For that you must visit at least Madrid and Paris. But if you can afford just one city and Picasso is not your main reason for visiting, it gives at least an idea of some his work.  The same is true of the opera house. I actually think you are mistaken about the Teatro Liceo, the Opera House. To me the facade is nothing special because it just looks like part of an ordinary  street frontage that also includes shops and apartments. In fact, the interior is nothing special either, especially if you have seen the opera houses in Milan, Budapest or London. But once again, it's impossible to expect the best in every city.

I actually think you may be meaning the concert hall which I mentioned earlier, the Palau de la Musica Catalonia concert hall. Both the exterior architecture and the interior are totally unique and quite stunning. I knew nothing about it before my first visit and only stumbled on it when I was wandering around the city. Isn't that part of the joy of travelling? 

Yes i was talking about that. Actually you can find many such nicer interiors in many museums in Bologna. One of them is a medieval university surgery threatre. Just use google maps to discover them. Was that baroque?? The facade was elaborate but i thought garnia theatre was better? You were right, i was actually in a rush for time so had to make sure the the sights i chose were “the best” and worthwhile. Wandering around a new city that is steeped in history and culture is indeed the best part of travelling. I stumbled upon Placa del Rei wondering around gothic quarter, where Christopher Columbus was widely believed to had been greeted by King Ferdinand of Spain and his Queen on the steps after he returned from his voyage of discovering the Americas. Imagining what went on that day in that public square hundreds of year ago, I must have felt just like Christopher Columbus after discovering America that night. Lol

Guest Blend in
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Ditch your camera and do not ever sling it over your neck. Do not take a map. Snap it on your phone. Find out how to reach your destination before your leave, write it on your phone.

Do not wear jeans. Yes....wear what you wear in your office...or at least smart casual...do not over do your looks as thats a dead giveaway. Do not wear a cap in paris ever.

Also a small tip....take your old non noise calcelling ear phones and wear it..but of cos do not listen to music....

Paris has many cultures..so these people may think you stay there and leave you alone.

Be very aware of your surroundings and register with MFA...screenshot and write its number and address down.

Actually all the street hustlers were wearing caps in Paris, they might actually think you’re one of them and leave you alone? Lol

Yes i tried to dress like a Parisien. Black leather moto jacket, black cropped slacks, black sneakers, fancy socks, canvas tote bag. Minding my own business and looking self reliant and assured while shopping on my own. Random locals started chatting me up in French without me realising they were actually talking to me - as opposed to their friends - and were genuinely surprised and wondering why i was quite rude to not respond, as i later found out from one of them in English. Lol

I was in Les Marais, an older gentrified “bobo” neighbourhood with a sizeable Chinese community round the corner. I have successfully blended in unknowingly!

20 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Strongly agree earphone is a must in places like istanbul, it can be really irritating as u walk down the street, on your left someone trying to sell u carpets, on your right someone told u he want to learn english, infront some boys trying to sell sovenirs and behind girls asking u to buy postcards.....one more tips, best to pretend u dont understand english at all.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:57 AM, Guest InBangkok said:

I do like to use grindr in Barcelona and Lisbon. So many guys willing to send me pics of their nudity and tasty dicks. 

Had actually met one in a nearby converted rodeo stadium - shopping centre  in Lisbon near the hotel of 5mins walk and blew him. He enjoyed and wanted more action but i left as the toilet is drawing attention. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.