Male HQ

Travelling Alone

Guest Guest Guest

Guest Guest
32 minutes ago, Guest pick pockets said:

Bugis has been famous for pickpockets.

Now with the rather changed design it might have got better.

In a country with controlled media, it is very easy to keep out things from the news.

Do we have any statistics about pick pockets and cheats happening in Singapore?

My expat customer just came to my office 2 days ago and told that his wallet was stolen on Orchard when he went for dinner to the shopping mall at Paragon.

Man arrested for alleged pickpocket attempt at AMK Hub taxi stand

Feb 16, 2019, 10:22 pm SGT

SINGAPORE -  A 51-year-old man was arrested for an alleged pickpocketing attempt at a taxi stand at AMK Hub on Thursday afternoon (Feb 14), the police said on Monday.

In videos sent to citizen journalism website Stomp on Friday, a man could be seen taking a wallet out of another man's pocket as they waited in line for a taxi.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/police-investigating-pickpocketing-attempt-at-amk-hub-taxi-stand

Singapore is the safest country in Asia. Violent crimes against tourists almost don’t exist. The top list of crimes in Singapore leads petty crimes, including pickpocketing. It does occur at the airport, areas frequently visited by tourists and public transport. The main area of concern for a newcomer is scams.

Police arrest gang who pickpocket shoppers along Orchard Road

23 December, 2017

SINGAPORE — The police have arrested three women who allegedly worked as a team to pickpocket unsuspecting shoppers along Orchard Road.

The victims in the three separate cases of theft reported that items such as wallets and a mobile phone were stolen from their bags at malls along the shopping belt on Thursday (Dec 21).

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-top-10-worst-cities-for-pickpockets-gl27

Where is Singapore on this list? And Amsterdam?The list came from TripAdvisor hor. Not fabricated hearsay one, ok? 

Guest pick pockets
13 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-top-10-worst-cities-for-pickpockets-gl27

Where is Singapore on this list? And Amsterdam?The list came from TripAdvisor hor. Not fabricated hearsay one, ok? 

Traveller is the essential resource for Australians who love to travel, published daily online and every Saturday and Sunday in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, the Sun-Herald and The Sunday Age. We are dedicated to providing the best travel advice by offering the perfect mix of inspirational content and comprehensive destination guides with things to do and places to stay. Most importantly, Traveller is your daily escape to dream destinations. Be transported to the wild Kimberley Coast of Western Australia or a sun lounge on the Cote d’Azur in France, with a mimosa in hand. So, what are you still doing here? Start searching for your next holiday.

Note: Quoted prices, websites and details on Traveller articles are correct at the time of publication.

They probably rated the list by the top destinations for Australians. Probably not representative.

I don't understand your referral to tripadvisor in the previous post.

But I don't know how to get that Mercer list for all countries. Only shows the map that Tomcat posted... Maybe have to buy it online.

I posted above to point out that theft can happen in Singapore as well, because some guys here seem to pretend that Singapore is 100% travel safe, which is not true.

Guest Guest
56 minutes ago, Guest pick pockets said:

I don't understand your referral to tripadvisor in the previous post.

First paragraph of the article at http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-top-10-worst-cities-for-pickpockets-gl27#ixzz5rCzvFN2S reads : "Where there are tourists, there are people seeking to exploit them, with travel website TripAdvisor coming up with a list of the top 10 places worldwide to be especially aware of pickpockets."

the content like a bit deviate from the title.  i suppose pickpocket can happen regardless if u are travelling alone or not.

i was in a group in portugal, where a japanese got pickpocket. so nothing to do with whether u are alone or not.

why not just take about things that are more related to the title?

Guest Thomas Didymuz Toh

Travelling alone is good.

because

no one to slow you down on what you like to do.

no one to judge you on which go-go to off 

no one to dictate what you should be eating 

no one to report to if you want to go sauna 

10 hours ago, quanjishou said:

the content like a bit deviate from the title.  i suppose pickpocket can happen regardless if u are travelling alone or not.

i was in a group in portugal, where a japanese got pickpocket. so nothing to do with whether u are alone or not.

why not just take about things that are more related to the title?

Thank you, It is about the pros and cons of travelling alone.

While personal safety is a always a concern, not sure why the big picture is lost on some people and they get fixated on trying to win small arguments. 

1 hour ago, Sh3rlock said:

The safety of the solo traveler is directly proportional to how street smart he is. ^_^

Exactly! Those who are smart & cool-headed will survive most sticky situations that presents itself whilst travelling.

That said, I would say some Singaporeans are at a demerit - even in the travel threads of this forum, you are able to see that they want to be spoonfed all the way - what to do, how to go, who to trust, "please provide me full itinerary" etc etc.

First, the level of entitlement is problematic. Second, laziness to do own research, still waiting for teacher to give answers. Third, no sense of adventure.

These are the long term effects of being raised in a safe country, and taught to be kiasu, kiasee and whatever else. And somehow when I mention LKY, they flinch and get triggreed. They fail to see how closely they have been moulded to his ideals.

And they miss completely the point of being part of a forum, when they cannot stand to be challenged or be presented with differing information.

oh dear Singaporeans...

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest
5 hours ago, tomcat said:

not sure why the big picture is lost on some people and they get fixated on trying to win small arguments. 

...  yah lor.. why you get so fixated trying to win small arguments? You should be asking yourself that question.

27 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

...  yah lor.. why you get so fixated trying to win small arguments? You should be asking yourself that question.

Are you the same flusterred guest, or is this another troll guest obsessed with Tomcat??  *confused*

By the way, it helps if you just reply to posts and comments directed at you. Otherwise, it just creates more confusion, and shows you can't get over what people are saying about you.

That is a sign of weak character there. Oops! 

It's not that I don't want to give you anymore attention, butI have self restrain, and I choose to exercise it. 

So the only merit of this post is for me to remind you get back and stay on topic.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest
48 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Are you the same flusterred guest, or is this another troll guest obsessed with Tomcat??  *confused*

By the way, it helps if you just reply to posts and comments directed at you. Otherwise, it just creates more confusion, and shows you can't get over what people are saying about you.

That is a sign of weak character there. Oops! 

It's not that I don't want to give you anymore attention, butI have self restrain, and I choose to exercise it. 

So the only merit of this post is for me to remind you get back and stay on topic.

Talk GIF

On 6/5/2019 at 12:31 AM, tinkymale said:

I go on single trip annually to countries for marathons and holidays. I like travelling alone as I can plan where I want to go without the need to care. Along the trips, I make new friends and they becomes my friend eventually. So now if I visit the country again, I’ll have a local to bring me around. However, given my age, I prefer to stay in proper hotel rather than Airbnb or hostel.

Yup This is a good way of making friends in every country.

And I always remember to repay the favour also when they come over to visit, with a room at my place for them to stay if its available.

One of the benefits of travelling and revisiting a country where you have friends means that they might take you in too.

Just 10 years ago, couchsurfing was so popular, but there was a risk of danger sometimes.

But when I stay with a friend, there is a peace of mind, and also get to enjoy all the sites/places that locals enjoy too!

I can get a local experience, which is something I prefer over hotel and just doing touristy things!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Where would u recommend to be a good place for gay scene ? i've been to Manila Thailand Philippines and Taiwan. Pretty good gay scene there. Heard japan is good as well.

Thing is i'm not really into sauna kind of fun but maybe if they have like good man shows or nude showers like those in thailand ? anybody have any idea maybe about cambodia or vietnam ?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.