Male HQ

How should I move on with my life

Guest Midlife

It's a long story. I am at the age whereby people should be having family or buying a house of their own. I am stuck in life. Basically I have been wanting to pursue medical studies. I have been accepted into one but the fees are too high. Now I have not many options. Either to pursue a career in nursing and hope to enter medical school with cheaper tuition fees. Or to abandon everything altogether. I have a degree in the humanities but I do not like the work/not competent enough to do it. It has been a few years since I am not working in this field. Now I am stuck in Singapore without a job and thinking of what I should do with my life. I am single and at this stage I doubt I will find another gay lover in my lifetime. I am not very certain with the nursing career because I don't know if I will love this should I not get the good grades to enter medical school in Country A. I am thinking of social work but it will be another 4 years. Nursing is a shorter 3 year program. There is another option to go to another country B to pursue a medical degree. But this medical degree does not open as many doors as the one in Country A. My health is also not 100% good. The job employment in sg is terrible. I don't think anyone will hire someone who is jobless for many years. I am just stuck at home and dare not go out in case I meet people that I know. 

Is nursing for a guy really an unglam job? 

Should I go for Country B medical studies instead? 

Or should I study hard for the nursing and see if I can enter medical school at Country A? 

I have been studying for some time and I am very tired. I am also worried about being old and not being able to survive in sg or overseas. 

Any advice will be appreciated. 

Before commiting to the nursing programme, I would highly recommend you to write email to hospital HRs to seek for observational attachment to see what the nurses and doctors do. During the attachment, talk to the practising professionals, if you are able to see yourself in their shoes. i.e. shift work, sacrifices

you should try to get a bond free nursing qualification. 

After getting your nurse qualification , you can go to any country that has a nurse shortage, uk , canada , australia, nz . anywhere that pays well. even the middle east. 

you can be a part time nurse even. 

the main things is getting registered and be bond free . so you can get out of singapore and not be tied down by a contract. 

if your health is not good can you stand rhe rigours of nursing work. 

Are you being realistic?

Hi, to get stuck in such a dilemma may seem to be attributed by your indecisiveness. The negativity in your attitude towards securing a job may also be the reason why you are jobless for so long. Whatever the reasons may be,  perhaps you should spend some time re-organising your thoughts and prioritising your needs.

It seems like having enough saving to last you through till you get a stable job is the least of concern to you? If it’s a concern, then securing a job is most probably your first priority. Whether it’s your number one choice or not, you need to accept the fact that many of us don’t get to do things we like as our job. Some of us work just to earn a decent living and may not have the luxury to choose their top options. So, instead of wasting time deliberating what you should do next, which you know best that it is an endless loop, come out of your comfort zone and make a decision. Whether that decision will end you up being in another unhappy situation or not, no one knows. But being able to accept the current situation and adapt accordingly will at least give you some direction and in the process may shed some light as to how you could make the most of the situation you are in. 

Since your health is not in tip top condition as you have mentioned, all the more you should not let this dilemma take control and affect your health. Stay positive and I’m sure we all hope you could come back here one day as a “happy” you soon! Good luck!

Be cool, like a breeze...

with regard to social work -

https://www.ncss.gov.sg/socialworker

https://www.ncss.gov.sg/NCSS/media/NCSS_SMD/Professional Development/Professional-Development-Guide.pdf

https://www.ncss.gov.sg/NCSS/media/NCSS_SMD/Diverse Career Opportunities/National_Social_Workers_Competency_Framework.pdf

https://www.ncss.gov.sg/Social-Service-Careers/Professional-Conversion-Programme

http://www.wsg.gov.sg/programmes-and-initiatives/professional-conversion-programmes/social-services-social-workers.html?_ga=1.261264207.33798256.1479180947

with regards to nursing -

why is glam or not glam a criterion for your occupation ?
is that the kind of lifestyle you want ? there are many glamourous occupations each with its own  price tage and fair share of palace dramas

with regard to health -

what do you mean by 100%, care to share?

if you mean, old age and hence unable to compete with the younger in your NEWLY chosen field... well that applies to everyone

we all get old and still have to continue to learn and learn and learn.....

otherwise if you are still able-bodied, but just feeling jaded and fucking sian, then maybe you need to think to rebalance the various components of your life

go workout out find a recreation activity to de-stress, do yoga, volunteer...... something

with regards to Singapore

well check your finances and numbers, if you can afford to go overseas, then maybe u wanna take loan to fund your studies here perhaps ?

but thats entirely up to you

with regards to yourself

don't ever give up on yourself, if you do, who do you think will pick you up and live your life for you?

take a break, go on a holiday, go meditate, stay in a temple somewhere and learn to clear your mind

study some holy sagely text or the Dharma, go for some meditation camp in bali

learn to contented,

do some feel good activities, do something you have been wanting to do but putting it off like, trek in nepal, skydiving....  something

read, Ikigai, Daring greatly, the courage to be dislike, some other ikigai type of self help book

make a change, not break your life and head of straight into another direction

but MAKE THE CHANGE, slowly and surely, steady wins the race cause 欲速则不达

large.jpg

Ma4AKOo.jpg

You sound lost to me. Take a piece of paper. Firstly no need to think too much and list down what jobs you can do. Secondly, think hard among these jobs you just list down what you can do good at. Thirdly think really hard now and list 3 jobs what you like in heart.

Once you find the 3 jobs you have the goal to go for them.

8 hours ago, Guest Midlife said:

1. Is nursing for a guy really an unglam job? 

2. Should I go for Country B medical studies instead? 

Or should I study hard for the nursing and see if I can enter medical school at Country A? 

I have been studying for some time and I am very tired. I am also worried about being old and not being able to survive in sg or overseas.

1. Job is job, work is work ... glam or unglam doesn't matter as long as it pays your bills and you can live with it.

But if you become really really unhappy / stressed with your job, then it will be a problem ... so, probably give more thought about what you can / can't do , rather than want to do (not many people has the perfect job they want).

In summary, normally people need money to live ... and usually money comes from work

2. Personally, I would rather study hard for nursing , because once I finish, I can either try to study further or get a nursing job.

You can even probably try to get work overseas with your nursing qualifications ... I heard jokes that nursing is one way for people to escape from Philipines and come to Australia.

Studying and working at same time is real hard work ... I don't think even I would be able to do it (unless maybe if life force me to) ... would be harder if you're not healthy 100% (as you said)

The rest I would refer to comment from heliumduck ... there are good points in there.

Edited by Ben S

On 19 September 2018 at 11:53 PM, Guest bvhuio said:

you should try to get a bond free nursing qualification. 

After getting your nurse qualification , you can go to any country that has a nurse shortage, uk , canada , australia, nz . anywhere that pays well. even the middle east. 

you can be a part time nurse even. 

the main things is getting registered and be bond free . so you can get out of singapore and not be tied down by a contract. 

if your health is not good can you stand rhe rigours of nursing work. 

Are you being realistic?

Please don't teach him to be a leech.

i am not aware if you know there is a nurse practitioner role in our local hospital. of course you would need to go thru the standard nursing training and work as a staff nurse to gain the experience. There is alot to explore in the nursing job. 

-start by stop comparing your life with others’. 

-Acknowledge your fear and work around it. No more denial and pretense.

- No more procrastinating 

-Embrace changes as opportunities, do not perceive changes as threats.

- Committ to smsll changes daily ~ celebrate quick wins everyday. 

-be grateful always because you are alive and banish negative thoughts. Start each day right because it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

-Give, give, give. Do unto others as you would have them unti you.

cheers

From ur motivation, age, fears, I suggest:

A) do nursing 

B) stay in sg

U mentioned being tired n fear of getting out of house. Medical career can be a lot more intensive. Moving overseas can require fair bit of resilience to adapt. Maybe do nursing n local first. If works ok then upgrade. All the best.

I'm in about the same age bracket as TS.

I chose my own path in life and though it's still early days yet, I believe I have made the right choice.

I emigrated and am now living my own life, away from all the undesirable and unhealthy comparisons we often put on ourselves.

Living a simple life, but I am not complaining. We all have to work hard, regardless of where we are.

It's certainly not a path for everyone. TS has to evaluate his life choices and options open to him carefully and realistically.

Good luck.

what other qualifications do you have? why don't you focus on what you already have and make a career out of it rather than make a sudden career switch? if you were in your 20s or early 30s i would say go for the nursing degree in whichever country if that is your passion.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:19 AM, Guest Midlife said:

It's a long story. I am at the age whereby people should be having family or buying a house of their own. I am stuck in life. Basically I have been wanting to pursue medical studies. I have been accepted into one but the fees are too high. Now I have not many options. Either to pursue a career in nursing and hope to enter medical school with cheaper tuition fees. Or to abandon everything altogether. I have a degree in the humanities but I do not like the work/not competent enough to do it. It has been a few years since I am not working in this field. Now I am stuck in Singapore without a job and thinking of what I should do with my life. I am single and at this stage I doubt I will find another gay lover in my lifetime.

-----

----

If you are at the age where people have family, buy a house of their own,  then you must be in your late 30s or early 40s.  This is not being old, it is a productive age, but it can also be an emotional low in life,  after the optimism of youth and before the understanding of later in life.  A time of being susceptible to depression. This could be affecting you.

You are single, and so count your blessings.  You have still plenty of time for gay lovers, so put this down in your list and concentrate on your career.  "Humanities" may not help you much, but at least you have learned to study.  The medical field is a good one, and knowledge of nursing is useful and sufficiently general to make progress to other medical fields, of which there are every time more today.  If after three years you can get a well paid nursing job,  in SG or elsewhere, it is not unreasonable to have the means and the energy as a single man to enter medical school.  But even if you don't come so far, there are medical positions that earn above average salaries. Your chances of surviving are good if you stay calm and practice the feelings of optimism and happiness. Plan for some partial small successes. You can be attractive at 50 if you stay positive, FEEL successful, and also take some care of yourself cultivating your health (very important).

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest TH

I honestly think u should just do what u feel its best for yourself. I mean a lot of people don't like what they do. Honestly it's considered a blessing if one is doing a job that they truly enjoy. That being said, there are tons of people working hard on jobs they hate. They do not have the luxury to pick if they want to do something they are passionate and mostly this is due to various liabilities they have in life. My suggestion for you would be:

1) instead of thinking whether the job is glam or unglam, think of what kind of benefits (be it monetary or other kind) it will bring you. 

2) evaluate your liabilities and surroundings, do you have the flexibility or capabilities to go and do what you truly desire. If u do not, i would suggest u suck it up and do what's needed to be done. Nobody likes doing job they are not proud off but they do it anyway due to various liabilities ie family, loan commitments etc. Many people compensate this by having a hobby or going on vacations with their hard earn money and that can work as a motivational factor as well.

3) you already have a degree in humanities and your (sorry to say this but i honestly think u should man up a little) "but I do not like the work/not competent enough to do it" is an excuse not a reason. As i said earlier not everyone likes what they are doing but they still do it anyway). Also, based on the mere fact that u said "I don't know if I will love this should I not get the good grades to enter medical school" is an indicator that your are not even sure whether or not u want to do this. If u decide to pursue this and ended up not liking it, imagine the bills and the money that has gone to waste and the fact now u have 2 degrees with more loan obligation due to your tuition fees. You will literally fall back to square one with more debts.

My suggestion is to suck it up and make use of what u already have. Find other ways for compensation. Unless you are very certain with what you want. Its not about the money or old age or whatsoever, its about making the right decision and taking the right opportunity. 

All the best !

On 9/19/2018 at 11:19 PM, Guest Midlife said:

A nursing job is a noble profession. It is a good profession. Of course if. you compare with a doctor, a doctor is more "glam" but first of all, you need to make the grade to enter medical school. It seems that you are more keen on becoming a doctor due to the "glam" factor. Then you have to work very hard towards your goal. You have to make the decision soon since you say you are not getting younger. You need to move on with your life as you also mentioned that you are jobless for quite while. 

You have to decide for yourself which path suits you better, but it's best to not take too long in making that decision (already too long actually) before stagnation becomes regression. First thing's first, step out of your comfort zone and start doing something now. Anything. Stop comparing yourself to others who have their own houses, cars, credit cards, and whatnot. They're all excuses. Life is not simply defined by personal assets, it's one's attitude. If you have the time and energy to contemplate life in fear of shame, why not spend all those resources on something productive?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:19 PM, Guest Midlife said:

It's a long story. I am at the age whereby people should be having family or buying a house of their own. I am stuck in life. Basically I have been wanting to pursue medical studies. I have been accepted into one but the fees are too high. Now I have not many options. Either to pursue a career in nursing and hope to enter medical school with cheaper tuition fees. Or to abandon everything altogether. I have a degree in the humanities but I do not like the work/not competent enough to do it. It has been a few years since I am not working in this field. Now I am stuck in Singapore without a job and thinking of what I should do with my life. I am single and at this stage I doubt I will find another gay lover in my lifetime. I am not very certain with the nursing career because I don't know if I will love this should I not get the good grades to enter medical school in Country A. I am thinking of social work but it will be another 4 years. Nursing is a shorter 3 year program. There is another option to go to another country B to pursue a medical degree. But this medical degree does not open as many doors as the one in Country A. My health is also not 100% good. The job employment in sg is terrible. I don't think anyone will hire someone who is jobless for many years. I am just stuck at home and dare not go out in case I meet people that I know. 

I will assume you are 40 years old. Average Singaporean lifespan is around 80 to 90 years old. You are almost 1/2 way through...

A lot of us did not know what we actually want in life. We keep following what other people is doing... Buy house get married at certain age and blah blah blah... The general population is just like a sheep pack... blindly following those sheep walking in front...

Everyone is unique... just like our fingerprint... You need to find out what you want in life... Only you yourself knows what you want to do with your life.

Sometime we persuade after a lot of things we don’t need in our life and get tie down financially... Ask yourself what you need and what you want in life. Need is something you cannot do without, want is something you can give up... If you choose to want a medical degree, don’t compliant that you need to service the study loan...

Staying healthy is more of a lifestyle choice. Ask yourself what is health to you. Be realistic and don’t compare now and the 20 years old you. But at age 40, it does not means that you need to be like half dead...

It’s all about learning to understand yourself more... Remember... We only live once...

1 hour ago, blueblueblue said:

every job has its ups and downs. even if you do the nursing course, there may be aspects that you don't like.

why not stick to your current career?

You have a valid point. But a choice of career does not need to be a once in a life time.  We can change later if this is possible.  In the case of the TS, at least in my country it is easier for a mediocre nurse to make a better living than an excellent Humanities professional.  And the 40s is not too late.  My ex wife (yes, I was married) went for four years to a nursing school in her 40s and became an excellent Registered Nurse. But she had vocation for it, which helped.

Guest Steve 5080
On 9/24/2018 at 4:47 AM, Glyph said:

You have to decide for yourself which path suits you better, but it's best to not take too long in making that decision (already too long actually) before stagnation becomes regression. First thing's first, step out of your comfort zone and start doing something now. Anything. Stop comparing yourself to others who have their own houses, cars, credit cards, and whatnot. They're all excuses. Life is not simply defined by personal assets, it's one's attitude. If you have the time and energy to contemplate life in fear of shame, why not spend all those resources on something productive?

Why did you blocked me from the website?

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone! Ok so long story short my ex and I broke up. He cheated and would lie. This last time I found out he was with me for just sex. According to him he thought I was aware but he tends to gaslight me often. We had talked about getting back together, but then one day he said we were just "f***ing" (sorry for the language, his word not mine.) I made it very clear before we became intimate that I didnt want to unless we were getting back together. 
I want to get back at him. He has a history of being a complete ass to gay and women, I dated him knowing this but he said he was working on it and I had faith and believed in him. 
Now I dont want him back but I do feel taken advantage of. Part of me doesn't even want to waste time, supplies or energy on him, but another part wants to teach him a lesson! I'm torn because I have never used witchcraft for harm and dont want to go against my beliefs. But I'm upset and meditating isn't helping :/ Some advice would also be appreciated.
P.S. All I have of his was a random buisness card(his personal buisness), and an old shirt he gave me. 

Thank you in advance! Blessed be my fellow BWers.

4 minutes ago, Guest Jeremy said:

Hi Everyone! Ok so long story short my ex and I broke up. He cheated and would lie. This last time I found out he was with me for just sex. According to him he thought I was aware but he tends to gaslight me often. We had talked about getting back together, but then one day he said we were just "f***ing" (sorry for the language, his word not mine.) I made it very clear before we became intimate that I didnt want to unless we were getting back together. 
I want to get back at him. He has a history of being a complete ass to gay and women, I dated him knowing this but he said he was working on it and I had faith and believed in him. 
Now I dont want him back but I do feel taken advantage of. Part of me doesn't even want to waste time, supplies or energy on him, but another part wants to teach him a lesson! I'm torn because I have never used witchcraft for harm and dont want to go against my beliefs. But I'm upset and meditating isn't helping :/ Some advice would also be appreciated.
P.S. All I have of his was a random buisness card(his personal buisness), and an old shirt he gave me. 

Thank you in advance! Blessed be my fellow BWers.

Who is becky with the good hair? I will go all apeshit on this guy. You have to tell him who run the world! Just cool down for now and have a lemonade. I know you were once crazy in love and he was irreplaceable. But perhaps you were drunk in love but you must listen because your baby boy is a beautiful lair. Dont spend all night feeling sorry for your self. Your spirit is the formation of your halo.

Guest InBangkok
On 9/25/2018 at 10:43 AM, Steve5380 said:

a choice of career does not need to be a once in a life time.  We can change later if this is possible. 

Change is certainly possible - but it all depends on you and how determined you are to change your present way of life. I have been lucky in my professional career. When I was in a job that bored me, I resigned, even though I had no other job to go to immediately.  I did that first at age 25, then again at 40. Each time my savings were depleted quite considerably before I found jobs that I really enjoyed. My personal view is that whatever you do in life, you have to find a passion for your job. Without that, you should seriously consider a change of course. You say you "do not like" your job in SG and "your health is "not 100% good." You must have considered that the two may very well be connected? When you hate your job, inevitably that will eventually have some effect on your health, even is you have a great life outside work.

Being aged around 40 should be a great time in your life. If you have a passion for studying medicine to become a doctor, find a country where you can study for a lot less than in Singapore and where your qualifications will be accepted in Singapore. Some years ago I met a young Chinese from KL who was studying medicine in Moscow! His father enrolled him there because it was a fraction of the cost of studying in Malaysia. There must be other countries with medical courses a lot cheaper than Singapore.

I think you must banish from your mind a whole lot of preconceived notions. Especially forget about getting old! You still have about three decades before you get there. Get rid of all the negatives in your mind, make a plan and then go out to find a way of enjoying life and working in a job which gives you a lot of personal satisfaction and about which you have a passion.

35 minutes ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Change is certainly possible - but it all depends on you and how determined you are to change your present way of life. I have been lucky in my professional career. When I was in a job that bored me, I resigned, even though I had no other job to go to immediately.  I did that first at age 25, then again at 40. Each time my savings were depleted quite considerably before I found jobs that I really enjoyed. My personal view is that whatever you do in life, you have to find a passion for your job. Without that, you should seriously consider a change of course. You say you "do not like" your job in SG and "your health is "not 100% good." You must have considered that the two may very well be connected? When you hate your job, inevitably that will eventually have some effect on your health, even is you have a great life outside work.

Being aged around 40 should be a great time in your life. If you have a passion for studying medicine to become a doctor, find a country where you can study for a lot less than in Singapore and where your qualifications will be accepted in Singapore. Some years ago I met a young Chinese from KL who was studying medicine in Moscow! His father enrolled him there because it was a fraction of the cost of studying in Malaysia. There must be other countries with medical courses a lot cheaper than Singapore.

I think you must banish from your mind a whole lot of preconceived notions. Especially forget about getting old! You still have about three decades before you get there. Get rid of all the negatives in your mind, make a plan and then go out to find a way of enjoying life and working in a job which gives you a lot of personal satisfaction and about which you have a passion.

I agree with your points of view.  But you may have me confused with someone else.

I don't work in SG and my health is 100% good.  I am in my 70s, and I have been retired for over 20 years.

Indeed I have been passionate in my work, and this made the pressure of the work environment bearable.

Now my "work" is to enjoy life and cultivate my hobbies, also a source of passion.

I don't have three more decades, but perhaps 20 more years of life.

I manage to keep at bay the idea that I'm turning OLD.  It's not easy, because...

when one is old, any minor handicap is attributed to getting old.

But I know that this is not true  :)

Let's get one thing straight first. No one can decide for you, one million people will have one million ideas and I hope that does not confuse you even further. Like what helly says, only you can pull yourself up. Cos only you yourself knows how much effort you have put in. 

I am also someone who can't plan more than 10 years ahead of my life. These are my thoughts in no chronological order as I am trying to patch together the various clues, pseudonyms and vague information that I have read:- 

1. If you already have a degree in humanities, what is it in this industry that makes you really dislike so much that you think you cannot grow in it or improve the current situation? Is there a career that is able to at least give you an advantage but doesn't have to be directly linked to the industry. E.g. like friends who have left MOE as they dislike the system and set up a tuition business instead. 

2. If your passion is truly in the medical field, and you have been accepted into medical school. Then you have to plan a way to survive the financial issue. You either makes sure you have enough savings before jumping in, not just the school fees but also your day to day expenses like meals, accommodation and transport. Alternatives are like working and studying at the same time. I did that for myself. Because it will be a pity and another pitfall if you have to drop out of the course due to the course fees assuming you are doing academically well. 

3. Regardless of your career switch of choice. If you are 40 and if you intend to retire by 60 (For the flaming queens I am aware that the retirement age is higher but I am using round numbers for ease of reference). Assuming your mid-career-change education takes up 4 years. Roughly speaking you will only have 16 years left to work. Loosely also means that within this 16 years, you have to generate sufficient income to clear your study loan if any, accumulate a savings (including CPF/retirement fund/annuity/endowment/insurance), and buy a home (??? I somehow get the signal that this is one of your intentions)

Building on that, I would say, think hard about it and decide. Whether it is to switch or stay. The longer you wait, the lesser time you have to improve your ROI. The older you get the greater the inertia and no matter what anyone else says. We now have less stamina/energy compared to ourselves in our 20s. 

4. I honestly got lost in the nursing part of your story, but nursing is a noble career as someone mentioned earlier. But do fully understand what a nursing career entails. I have to start by saying DON'T believe in all the ads and especially DON'T BELIEVE the serial dramas. You will be highly disappointed. Some negative points to think of 

• shift work 
  • stinky stuff, bloody stuff, shitty stuff, body fluids you never thought existed
  • lifting - patients and equipment. even more so if you are male
  • long standing hours, i have many friends having varicose veins in their 40s
  • continuing professional education - you need it to renew your practicing cert 
  • long weekend ? Christmas?? Chinese New Year?? Hari Raya? Deepavali??? ... so what... get back to work.

Some of the positive points to think of 

• career stability - it is a career that is perpetually in shortage. I wont call it recession proof cos your job attitude and performance plays a part. 
  • mobility - as far as I am aware, that translates to other countries willing to make it easy for you to practice there vs say .... a physio. 

Try to at least talk to someone who is currently a nurse. Ask them what their typical days are like. 

5. In terms of career progression, understand that you may not be able to achieve your peak career as someone who has spent their 40 years in nursing. 

6. Every job has its good and bad side. Regardless of how glam or unglam it looks. 

I would also like to thank you for sharing as typing this out allows me to reflect, as I have also made a career switch in my 30s and recently someone from my previous industry has asked me to join them. 

Edited by Behrhunter

Guest InBangkok
8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I agree with your points of view.  But you may have me confused with someone else.

No confusion! I was refering merely to the comment made in your earllier post and which I quoted. I was referring exclusively to the points made by the OP.

• G_M locked this topic