Male HQ

Why SMRT use Unknown Train Brand like Alstom

Guest Guest

I am shocked beyond words! I took the train and happenes to look at the floor..I was shaken to my bare bones when I realised the brand of the train I was in was an unknown brand like Alstom! 

I cannot believe that after all the problems and chaotic maddness that the SMRT management have not learn their lesson! Why cannot they buy more dependable brands like mecedes, mitsubishi etc????

Must there be more train breakdowns? Why cannot smrt buy better more expensive trains like those use by Japan?

It is not difficult to manage smrt as its a smapp company. It does not take a rocket scientist to make our mrt better!!!

SMRT do not be penny wise pound foolish!

Guest Minah with brains.
54 minutes ago, Guest Donnot be frog in the well said:

If you never heard of the brand, just google it, DO NOT BE THE FROG IN THE WELL. LOL

Yaloh, i agree with your comment , some people havr never stepped out of Singapore one.

He doesn't know that Thales- Alstom France C.E. is one of the most advance builders of European high speed trains with superb safety, comfort and French flair.

He obviously have never ridden in the French TGV high speed trains , build by Thales Alstom ,  at very high speeds. The trains are pressurised , but supremely quiet inside , and people travel in style in the TGV in France, they wear very nice clothes, The seats are covered in velour fabric , floors carpetted, toilets are high tech,  entry is electronically controlled , and people really are civil and make the effort to keep the toilet clean and dry for the the next user

THERE is even a smokinh compartmemt for people who want to smoke so smokers can all sit together in one beautiful , glassy compartment and smoke till their hearts content and can smoke preserve each others lungs.

TRULLY , democratic. FRANCE.

If only you kept your trap shut.

YOU should be complaininh about the Bombardier trains from Canada on the circle and downtown lines. 

SO NEW , yet have do many problems in the early days compared with Japnese built MRT of the 1985 eras . 

So reliable for so many many years.

BANZAI Nippon.

Guest Areyouatrollorwhat?
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

I am shocked beyond words! I took the train and happenes to look at the floor..I was shaken to my bare bones when I realised the brand of the train I was in was an unknown brand like Alstom! 

I cannot believe that after all the problems and chaotic maddness that the SMRT management have not learn their lesson! Why cannot they buy more dependable brands like mecedes, mitsubishi etc????

Must there be more train breakdowns? Why cannot smrt buy better more expensive trains like those use by Japan?

It is not difficult to manage smrt as its a smapp company. It does not take a rocket scientist to make our mrt better!!!

I'll take it that you're trolling. These are the facts:

1. Alstom is one of the leading Railway Vendor in the world. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstom

2. SMRT or SBST doesn't decide what trains to use. LTA buys the assets.

Guest Areyouatrollorwhat?
7 minutes ago, Guest Minah with brains. said:

Yaloh, i agree with your comment , some people havr never stepped out of Singapore one.

He doesn't know that Thales- Alstom France C.E. is one of the most advance builders of European high speed trains with superb safety, comfort and French flair.

He obviously have never ridden in the French TGV high speed trains , build by Thales Alstom ,  at very high speeds. The trains are pressurised , but supremely quiet inside , and people travel in style in the TGV in France, they wear very nice clothes, The seats are covered in velour fabric , floors carpetted, toilets are high tech,  entry is electronically controlled , and people really are civil and make the effort to keep the toilet clean and dry for the the next user

THERE is even a smokinh compartmemt for people who want to smoke so smokers can all sit together in one beautiful , glassy compartment and smoke till their hearts content and can smoke preserve each others lungs.

YOU should be complaininh about the Bombardier trains from Canada on the circle and downtown lines. 

SO NEW , yet have do many problems in the early days compared with Japnese built MRT of the 1985 eras . 

BANZAI Nippon.

Google a bit and you realise circle line do not use bombardier's trains.

33 minutes ago, Guest Minah with brains. said:

BANZAI Nippon.

France is not well known or famous for trains!! Now that I know that its a french train, I am even now more deeply concerned!

Why smrt cannot buy trains from more established countries like Japan? I would not mind smrt buy traina from Korea like samsung or LG. But to buy trains from france?? France is famous for wines and bread and f&b but not for tech! 

17 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

France is not well known or famous for trains!! Now that I know that its a french train, I am even now more deeply concerned!

Why smrt cannot buy trains from more established countries like Japan? I would not mind smrt buy traina from Korea like samsung or LG. But to buy trains from france?? France is famous for wines and bread and f&b but not for tech! 

Oh my hahahahaha.

okay, wines & bread, f&b of France are well known because it’s a general things. All people need to eat & drink that’s why we have a much bigger interest and the common people know France good at those stuffs because they appreciate high quality things. What about technology? Does the size of ppl who interested or working in that field as big as f&b field? No right, so you hear less thing about it. But having less awareness of a certain brand doesn’t means that certain brand is not good, for all you know that brand can even be the top player in its field but because you have no interest in say field you wouldn’t necessarily have any idea how good is it or how bad certain brand is. Learn something before giving your opinion if not you will look stupid in front of other people.

Guest my hips don't lie
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Now you really dug your own hole and you are going to trip and fall over into your own hole.

France is a very advanced country and their high speed train is known world wide for safety , speed, and very comfortable too.

I would not mind smrt buy trains from Korea like samsung or LG. But to buy trains from france?? France is famous for wines and bread and f&b but not for tech! "

This statement of your show how little you know of the world out there besides Singapore,

KTX trains of South Korea actually borrowed their early trains from the French company of Alstom, their KTX are modified for korea use, but the external appearance of the train are Alstom French designed, the rolling stock and bogeys are French Alstom, and the Koreans actually copied and learn from the French TGV high speed trains first , before they start to develop their own Korean KTX trains after about ten years of using Alstom Hardware and technology.

If you asked  me, I'd rather bet my life and safety on using French trains on the TGV, Koreans are known to cut corners and they have this culture where mistakes and risks are hidden from the general public until something big happens and many hundreds of lives are lost.

Koreans now have this mentality that looks are important, substance comes second, and making money and earning foreign currency reserves supercedes everything, even safety.

Guest my hips don't lie

Image result for alstom TGV pics

Koreans KTX is exactly like the French High Speed TGV , Doors open the same way, toilets are configured the same way, the Bogeys of TGV trains which is world famous for its simplicity and safety, because it was designed such that whenever if a train ever derials, it will not slam into each other like an accordion. Korea borrowed from Alstom for about ten years.

Image result for alstom TGV pics

The original TGV trains from alstom France.  Who copied from who ?

If Alstom is not world famous for safety , technology , do you think it will be selected by red dot ?

Unknown?

Even if the TGV trains are not my favourites, and I think the German technology for trains is better (but maybe more costly) I think someone didn't do a good research and his homework before posting....

Alstom is a French multinational company operating worldwide in rail transport markets, active in the fields of passenger transportation, signalling and locomotives, with products including the AGV, TGV, Eurostar, and Pendolino high-speed trains, in addition to suburban, regional and metro trains, and Citadis trams.

Revenue €6.9 billion (2015/2016)

The underlying problem with the MRT in Singapore is that it was never designed as an one hand train system but there are too many different players involved. Even if the government doesn't want to admit, but keeping maintenance on a low level for plenty of years and issuing unrealistic dividends to shareholders, will cause problems in later years. And this is what we are facing now.

Plus now it is difficult to get new technology added into this system.

Even in a country like Malaysia the ex-CEO would have been dragged to court to return unjustified bonuses.

MRT would have done good to announce that maintenance and disruptions will last until November 2020 instead of coming every second month with these announcements for monthly new train closures (early closures, late starts, changing trains at Queenstown etc etc)

Fridays should not be affected by the early closures but maybe Mondays. MRT should have statistics on the usage by the customers to find the most suitable dates for doing the maintenance works.

Plus I find that charging of fees for the shuttle buses, who run the trips on the closures, excessive, if people take the trouble to add 1 hour to their trip at the end points then the shuttle buses bringing them home should be free.

this is very smallhearted.

Guest My hips dont shimmy
1 hour ago, singalion said:

Unknown?

Even if the TGV trains are not my favourites, and I think the German technology for trains is better (but maybe more costly) I think someone didn't do a good research and his homework before posting....

Alstom is a French multinational company operating worldwide in rail transport markets, active in the fields of passenger transportation, signalling and locomotives, with products including the AGV, TGV, Eurostar, and Pendolino high-speed trains, in addition to suburban, regional and metro trains, and Citadis trams.

Revenue €6.9 billion (2015/2016)

The underlying problem with the MRT in Singapore is that it was never designed as an one hand train system but there are too many different players involved. Even if the government doesn't want to admit, but keeping maintenance on a low level for plenty of years and issuing unrealistic dividends to shareholders, will cause problems in later years. And this is what we are facing now.

Plus now it is difficult to get new technology added into this system.

Even in a country like Malaysia the ex-CEO would have been dragged to court to return unjustified bonuses.

MRT would have done good to announce that maintenance and disruptions will last until November 2020 instead of coming every second month with these announcements for monthly new train closures (early closures, late starts, changing trains at Queenstown etc etc)

Fridays should not be affected by the early closures but maybe Mondays. MRT should have statistics on the usage by the customers to find the most suitable dates for doing the maintenance works.

Plus I find that charging of fees for the shuttle buses, who run the trips on the closures, excessive, if people take the trouble to add 1 hour to their trip at the end points then the shuttle buses bringing them home should be free.

this is very smallhearted.

Aahhh.....you maybe influnced by the German , German ICE trains maybe what you say, and Germans find the French irritating because Germans like to be punctual and precise but French like to be fuzzy logic and je nais se quois, but France TGV had no major accidents and large fatality whereas German ICE had some major accidents due to signalling fault. 

France TGV trumps German ICE on safety, strangely and illogically so. 

I've ridden both trains and I love the TGV Because it made me feel likevan adventure and I am riding on a jet plane and riding on a magic carpet and the German trains are boring in comparison.

The quirky French TGV train announcement, below, which I love, love, love, motivated me to learn French, a lyrical language. Have a listen.

GERMAN ICE TRAIN ANNOUNCEMENT.

Hahaha....which did you choose as more beautiful?

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If you do know much about trains and never read about some of the best and fastest train brands like AGV, TGV, Eurostar  ie" in the world, you might want to google and fact check before you write things you will regret .... google is your friend even if you don't travel.  This french company has been building some of the fastest, cutting edge and reputable trains.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Minah with brains.
7 hours ago, Guest Areyouatrollorwhat? said:

Google a bit and you realise circle line do not use bombardier's trains.

Thanks for pointing out.

I am corrected.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thanks to all above about our trains. We are not so bad in transport systems.

We also design and build planes; maybe some of you already heard of Airbus or Dassault's Falcon?;)

Not to mention waste from nuclear plants,

disposed of closer to Singapore than Paris.

19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I m shocked beyond words that I happened to read this post and U think Alstom is NO BRAND 

5 hours ago, Guest John said:

I m shocked beyond words that I happened to read this post and U think Alstom is NO BRAND 

The public needs to be assured and confidence. SMRT must give confidence to the public. What is the point of buying an name like Alstom that is not well known to the general public?

You people do not think out of the box and have the sterotypical thinking thats been brainwashed by the education system to conform and just say 'Yes' and 'agree' to everything thats laid out on the table.

SMRT should buy trains that is well known like mitsubishi or hyundai. Or are you saying the japanese and korean technology is inferior to the french? Just look at your house. Anyone have A french tech product?drive a french car? Watch a french brand tv? Fact is france is not well known for technology or machines. Yes, if you want clothes, fashion, branded wallets, food other mundane things, the french is well known. French is not well known in transport or tech sector.

Guest not relevant

Comments on the trains

TGV is for mass, ICE is a luxus-liner, so both have its own qualities,

ICE wins by far for several reasons : more luxurious , more space between the seats , interior is better in terms of illumination , reservation marks are digital , connecting plugs for businessmen , separate rooms for babies , the TGV makes more noise , information towards the traveler is extremely up to date , etc...

People seem to forget that TGV is already more than 20 years old too but the recent plans for modernisations of the trains wont make that big difference imo,
there is just simply a new type of TGV necessairy.
Altough I must admit that the suspension is perfect on them and also it is safer to travel.

To see the discussion on the trains

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/feature-the-10-fastest-high-speed-trains-in-europe/

However, the whole discussion here is not relevant because the MRT doesn't run the TGV or ICE but  smaller type of trains.

Maybe it was a mistake to start the trains with Japanese models. the future will show...

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

The public needs to be assured and confidence. SMRT must give confidence to the public. What is the point of buying an name like Alstom that is not well known to the general public?

You people do not think out of the box and have the sterotypical thinking thats been brainwashed by the education system to conform and just say 'Yes' and 'agree' to everything thats laid out on the table.

SMRT should buy trains that is well known like mitsubishi or hyundai. Or are you saying the japanese and korean technology is inferior to the french? Just look at your house. Anyone have A french tech product?drive a french car? Watch a french brand tv? Fact is france is not well known for technology or machines. Yes, if you want clothes, fashion, branded wallets, food other mundane things, the french is well known. French is not well known in transport or tech sector.

bla bla

You know nothing boy!

Guest here we go on...
Published26 September, 2018
Updated 26 September, 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

SINGAPORE — Seven MRT train stations on the East-West Line (EWL) from Tiong Bahru to Clementi will close earlier than usual on Fridays and Saturdays next month, as rail operator SMRT continues its railway maintenance and improvement works on the line.

The affected stations will close at about 11pm every Friday and Saturday in October, SMRT said in a statement on Wednesday (Sept 26).

3 hours ago, Guest here we go on... said:
Published26 September, 2018
Updated 26 September, 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

SINGAPORE — Seven MRT train stations on the East-West Line (EWL) from Tiong Bahru to Clementi will close earlier than usual on Fridays and Saturdays next month, as rail operator SMRT continues its railway maintenance and improvement works on the line.

The affected stations will close at about 11pm every Friday and Saturday in October, SMRT said in a statement on Wednesday (Sept 26).

This is outrages! Why must smrt make life so miserable for Singaporeans!!!

Who will pay for taxi for those singaporeans who finish work at 11pm and nees to rush home to be with their families? Singaporeans salary is already so lowly paid plus high taxes makes it so stressfull to put just 3 meals on the table. Now Singaporeans affected will have to take taxi or grab home!! Who will pay???? Singaporeans will want to save these monies for the upcomming increase in GST than to use it for this unnecessary cist for transpirt home!!!

Really ta boleh tahan

Guest guest monicker
On 9/27/2018 at 10:37 PM, Guest Guest said:

high taxes

What high taxes in Singapore?

Singapore has one of the lowest tax rates worldwide?  (at the lowest quarter compared to all other countries)...

Plus if you can read statistics: Only about 25% of Singaporeans seem to pay personal income tax at all, but 100% of foreigners (except non working spouses 17% of all foreigners here) .

Yep, tah boleh tahan... and can't even jump on the MRT track because now got barrier at the stations.

You better get your numbers right.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.