Male HQ

Blocking of IP Addresses of abusive Guests

mlyfunp

Guest Walking With Pink Panthers
3 hours ago, Guest Loquacious Larry Laminator said:

I am reviving this topic after reading through the last couple of days worth of postings. The moderators seriously need to deal with the abusive guest. Such behavior makes Blowing Wind an unpleasant place to visit at times and my browsing is becoming less frequent as a result. The abuse takes some of the following forms.

1. Directly targeting and harrassing certain members such as @mlyfunp@Nightingale, @singalion, and @Steve5380. Also directly harrassing and targeting certain guests who try to follow the rules and are not looking to cause any problems.
  2. Making posts 'stealing' the nicknames of other guests in an effort to cause that guest to appear disgusting or shallow. Guest Meanly Preacher has complained about this multiple times in the last week, for example, and yes he could register as a member, but it doesn't fix the problem that allowing abusive guests to abuse members and other guests should NOT be tolerated on Blowing Wind. I always try to use the same guest nickname so the moderators don't accuse me of abusing the system by using multiple guest nicknames in the same thread. I suspect some others guests who post frequently, like Guest Meanly Preacher, are doing the same in an effort to obey the rules. The troll has no respect for the rules, however, and intentionally impersonates other guests in a deliberate attempt to cause confusion. Readers deserve to be able to follow threads in a non-chaotic manner, and believe that they are looking the correct guest's posts, rather than trash words from a malicious imposter.
  3. Quoting a member or guest, but changing around the words from the original post to make a contrary argument, and then aggressively demanding an answer from the member or guest whose original post is being distorted by the arrogant troll.
  4. Using multiple guest nicknames and 'arguing with himself' in the same thread for no reason other than to keep the thread alive when nobody else is interested in that particular topic. A thread can't be 'forced' to become popular by sock puppetry. If readers want to reply, they will. If they don't, they won't. Moderators should expose every instance of the troll guest doing this. It is ridiculous.
  5. Reviving old threads from 11 months ago, or 2 years ago, or even older -- but not adding anything that makes the topic worthy of continuing -- just typing something useless like 'that is so hot' or quoting the original poster and replying as if it is a new thread. If readers wanted to discuss those old topics, they would be discussing them, and not with pointless phrases that add no value whatsoever. A thread should only be revived if there is a reason to revive it, not because a troll is bored.

I understand why Blowing Wind allows guests and obviously I am posting as a guest myself. But abuse should not be allowed. I propose targeting the IP of the abusive guest (or guests) and making any guest postings from the IP (or IPs) need to pass the CAPTCHA test 200 times before the posting is allowed to go through.

1) Good points. I support the idea of the moderators imposing a manual block on the IP addresses of abusive guests that require any guest postings coming from that IP address for the next 30 days to need to pass the captcha filter an excessive number of times such as 100, or 200, or even more. Maybe that punishment will convince the abusive guests to behave themselves. Member posts coming from the same IP addresses would obviously not be affected.

2) Why is this thread in the Flaming Room? I think this is a topic that many members will have an opinion about, and I believe the suggestion of making it harder for abusive guests to post from their IP addresses if the moderators catch them being abusive, is a proposal worth discussing. With that in mind, @G_M or @HendryTan, can you move this thread back into the Main Forum? I do not want all guests blocked, obviously, just those who are being abusive.

I have a different proposal.

The problem of rogue guests could be resolved if guests have also an individual identification.  This is what keeps us Members in check and accountable. 

This identification can be nothing more than a Guest's name, e-mail and a password.  This would be a most basic record, without location, date of birth, PM page, record of posts, likes, etc.  Such individual basic records should not create an overhead to the BW system, even if 10,000 such records are created.  The system merely checks that the guest name is uniquely signed-in and matches its password, like it does with members,  and recognizes a Guest by the first word 'Guest' in the name.  After such a login, the system remembers the identity of the Guest, who does not need to repeat its name in every post.  The sign-in as Guest should be simple, with just an e-mail confirmation (this confirmation is necessary to avoid people to sign in with 100 names without a need for 100 different e-mail accounts).

Once Guests receive this basic identity,  then they should be able to post everywhere, and the Members Forum could become Members and Guests Forum, or simply merge with the Main Forum.

What do you think?

Guest Loquacious Larry Laminator
4 hours ago, Guest Walking With Pink Panthers said:

Why is this thread in the Flaming Room? I think this is a topic that many members will have an opinion about, and I believe the suggestion of making it harder for abusive guests to post from their IP addresses if the moderators catch them being abusive, is a proposal worth discussing. With that in mind, @G_M or @HendryTan, can you move this thread back into the Main Forum? I do not want all guests blocked, obviously, just those who are being abusive.

I did not realize this was a thread in the Flaming Room when I revived it, because I simply did a search for the term "ban guests," and this was the only unlocked thread that came up in the results. Of course I would be more than happy if one of the moderators moved this thread back to the Main Forum since I don't see any posts that should have caused it to be moved to the Flaming Room in the first place. Maybe the most offensive posts were already deleted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.