Male HQ

Western Food - Pearl Centre

Besides cheap daily necessities, arcane buddhist relics, second floor cock meat sandwiches and probably the most spiritless white-coated "beauty technicians" I have ever seen, Pearl Centre also houses a surprisingly good, no-frills western food stall.

Located on the ground floor past the tailor booth, the red-on-white chinese charactered signboard, foldaway faux beech tables and drinks fridge tucked in the corner nods at a simple, homely experience.

The white-tiled, open-kitchen stall is manned by a duo of a young, dyed-hair cook and his female relative full of big-sister hospitality who reaches into her apron pockets to magically produce sauce packets with your order.

The usual suspects are served here: chicken chop, lamp chop, steak, fish and chips, stir-fried spaghetti (fusion cuisine, heartlands style!) and also tempura cod-fish are consumed by a steady flow of customers from execs and professionals to students. The $6 - $7 dishes disappear by the plate and box-ful and its no wonder!

I have yet to sample the rest of their menu beyond the chicken-chop, it is just that good to make me want it everytime. And also maybe because I'm a chicken chop crackhead... but whatever.

First, the meat. Thinly sliced which makes it much easier to achieve that well-seared exterior without risking toughening out the interior with overcooking, the cut that appears on your plate may seem a little scrawny at first glance. But dig in, and the tried-and-tested, possibly secret family recipe shines through. The experienced hand of restraint is readily seen with simple ingredients used. I suspect only salt and maybe a bit of soy sauce? The light seasoning makes way for a fuller chicken meat flavor to come through and mingle with the sauce, a black pepper gravy that's just right on the color, pepperburn and starchiness - cooling produces filming over, but not clods. The dish is crowned with a foursome of crispy crinkle-cut fries, tomato sauce baked beans, fresh creamy coleslaw and a freshly buttered and fried garlic bun which I recommend you ask an extra piece for.

At the end of it, this is a moderately filling yet satisfying dish that shines in all its no-frills simplicity. No extra grease dripping off your chin and

you'll be happy to note that the only msg from the dish comes possibly from the sauce packets.

bh

Thanks bearhunt for the recommendation. Will try it out on one of my visits.

Have another eatery there to recommend. If you like vegetarian food, the 3rd storey restaurant serves good chinese vegetarian fare. Its beside the buddhist bookshop. Prices are very reasonable. If you are on your own, you can even just order simple dishes like curry vegetable rice and they will still serve you.

Its one of my all time favourite restaurant.

Guest Guynextdoor

Thanks bh, i love western food.

I also like this western food stall at clementi hawker centre, the main one right next to clementi mrt station. The chicken cutlet, which comes with a homemade sauce, is amazingly good. I think the other dishes must be equally gd but i never get tired of the chicken cutlet todate, so I have yet to try the others. Pretty long queue most of the time. But its best to eat on the spot than tabao.

Yummy :rolleyes:

Besides cheap daily necessities, arcane buddhist relics, second floor cock meat sandwiches and probably the most spiritless white-coated "beauty technicians" I have ever seen, Pearl Centre also houses a surprisingly good, no-frills western food stall.

Located on the ground floor past the tailor booth, the red-on-white chinese charactered signboard, foldaway faux beech tables and drinks fridge tucked in the corner nods at a simple, homely experience.

bh

westernfood.jpg

chickenchop.jpg

I went to sample this western food stall yesterday for dinner as I am a fan of western food. Tried their chicken chop as recommended. Yummy! :thumb: I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars. Thanks ah BH! Wished the garlic bread was bigger though. The fries portion was also quite small for the price of $5.50.

Besides western food, they also served home made green bean soup and red bean soup. Had wanted to try the green bean soup but it was sold out. :(

Edited by LupCheong

Thanks for the pics, LC.. now I know exactly where it is! :)

I went there the other day to look around. Couldn't find it. I walked around.. to the extreme right of Pearl Centre is a food court of some sort with a narrow open air lane selling drinks. Then to the extreme left is another narrow lane.. but selling desserts (?) only. So I can't find this place. I was there about 11am.. so I guess it's not opened yet at that time :)

The next shop to this is a unisex saloon. The slim fair hairstylist/owner (?) was following me everywhere I went! He finally asked me if I am Pinoy.. or Indonesian.. or Thai hahahah He is definitely a PLU..

I went there wif Q today...

had the Chicken Chop, Steak and O rings...

The O rings were well fried, and we liked the texture. oil and time fried was near perfect

The bun was, as recommended, worth a second slice... but we din ask for it.

the meat...

thinly sliced correct...

sauce... same sauce was used for the steak, ok la... quite standard. Just not sure if I would shout about it tho... but ok lor for this place/rent, etc.

quick but too honest comment... erm... no offence to anyone... but I could prolly fold the chicken chop over and eat the whole piece at once... erm... does that mean i have BIG MOUTH ? hee hee hee....

steak also quite thinly sliced... not too bad... but... steaks are supposed to be THICK... I dun mind paying more for a half inch thick steak...

hmmm which reminds me.. you can get this thickness steak for same price $7 at the Margaret Drive Food Centre... and you really must try the Chicken Chop there if you are into chicken chop.

I think the bread lose to this shop, and they dun serve onion rings... and the fries are thinner cut......

but for me... I personally believe the Margaret Drive one is quite a bit better both for the steak and chicken cutlet... maybe different name... but do go test it out...

you can also queue for the famous Hoi Kee char kuay teow.... if you are bored... haha...

Take note, this Grill called Ye Lai Xiang Charcoal BBQ GRill.... is closed on Mondays. He is a OMO now... his mother no longer appears at the stall...

The Margret Drive Western Charcoal Grill is still there... but it's OMO now, and many a times he is closed...

sometimes for many days... I suspect he is looking after his mother, who had long since not gone to the stall.

when he is there, open, it's always crowded... but those travelling far to try his grill... have to tikam and hope he is open that day.

Incidentally, I was there last nite, and it was closed... (friday nite some more...) but luckily, the Char Kuay Teow was open, and after a 40 minute wait, haha there were about 16 persons ahead of me... I had my char kuay teow fix... additional egg, bak pok, and extra black... with chilli... it was totally worth the wait for me... i really enjoyed his CKT... he was quite apologetic about the wait, as i chatted with him while I waited for my ckt...

he commented that he is paiseh to make customer wait... but he says it's nicer for the ckt to be individually fried, which i totally agree...

I told him it's worth the wait, for his ckt, and we know what we are in for when we queued up... i commented that those who want fast can go elsewhere... and told him that i waited specifically for HIS ckt... he was so happy.. hahaha... (i got a bigger than normal plate of ckt hee hee hee...)

sorry to digress this topic...

back to the Western Grill topic!!

I also went and tried yesterday as I was in the vicinity and remember reading the rave reviews here. I must profess certain disappointment.

This shop is so easy to locate. Just walk in from the main entrance and ho and behold, beckoning ahead is the familiar shop sign (thanks to the photo!). I ordered the Chicken chop and while waiting for it, had a bowl of green bean soup. Ah, you shouldn't bother. It's pleasingly diluted but pretty standard fare really (my mum can whip up a meaner soup than that). As I was hungry, the arrival of the chicken chop was eagerly awaited. First, the garlic bread is heavenly. Surely, one of the best I've tasted. But, hey, why so small??? I glanced around and saw many people ordering an extra plate of garlic breads (and they dont come cheap- about $1.20 per slice! Quick somebody shout robbery. lol). The main course is nice, the meat tender and lovingly grilled to a tasty crispy brown but the peppery taste was just too strong. Is the sauce of chicken chop meant to be like that? They should have name it Pepper Chicken Chop. Thank god, I like pepper so the dish went down quite well. But it wasnt that great. haha.... I can easily get a good substitute at AMK where I live (the popular stall opp Jubilee Theatre). I think they are better and comes in bigger portion. I will go back, that's for sure, if only to try their garlic bread.

one chopstick (if I am Mr Seetoh)

Edited by erection day

First, the garlic bread is heavenly. Surely, one of the best I've tasted. But, hey, why so small??? I glanced around and saw many people ordering an extra plate of garlic breads (and they dont come cheap- about $1.20 per slice! Quick somebody shout robbery. lol).

The main course is nice, the meat tender and lovingly grilled to a tasty crispy brown but the peppery taste was just too strong. Is the sauce of chicken chop meant to be like that? They should have name it Pepper Chicken Chop. Thank god, I like pepper so the dish went down quite well. But it wasnt that great. haha.... I can easily get a good substitute at AMK where I live (the popular stall opp Jubilee Theatre). I think they are better and comes in bigger portion. I will go back, that's for sure, if only to try their garlic bread.

one chopstick (if I am Mr Seetoh)

The garlic bread is $1.20 for 3, not 1. Otherwise really robbery sia. hahaha

Btw.... before everyone else start flocking to Pearl Center just to try out that "famous chicken chop".....maybe i over-enthused in my original post but i recommend the dish as a simple, no-frills yet satisfying dish. I'm not saying its a die die must try ok?

bh

bh

you have not 'over' anything in your original post.

pls ... food is like that... you like it, others may not, and may so voice their opinions here. that's what makes reading this forum interesting.

if everyone says yah it's like what the originator of thread says... it will just die in a few posts...

it's diversity, and the willingness to come out to state your opinion, without personal insult (wherever possible of course) and keep to feelings about the food we tried... is the whole idea about this part of the forum...

it's not personal... well ... it is personal.. but personal in the sense it's between the food, and the person tasting it. it's VERY personal. it's not against somebody else personal... dun get it wrong... else we end up fighting over the wrong reasons...

fighting over other men, i believe... but fighting over opinions about the food we tasted, it's impossible becos there is no 'right or wrong' about reactions to food...

and on food fights... haha just toying with this idea... one day... we might just organise a real food fight... soft foods only pls... no bones and no whole potatoes type hor... mashed potatoes yes... else.. no.. we want a fun food fight... not a casualty laden one haha... which make this a real challenge... where, who gonna sponsor our ammunition, and huge communal bathing area for soap dropping after that...

:whistle: :twisted:

• 9 years later...

western food? tcc will never lose out on the stage

Try its pocket-friendly lunches (net pricing!!)

https://apac2.intouch.capillarytech.com/business_controller/campaigns/emails/links/view.php?utrack=Mjc4MzU5Mw==&mtrack=TWpNNE1qY3o

(sorry cannot find any thread on western fd)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.