Male HQ

Mediacorp Artists - News And Gossips 新传媒新闻和八卦 (Compiled)

Guest Lola

But there are cases like that... And I won't deny the fact some people are gay and pedophile in the closet being really nice but otherwise... I have been a victim, so this potray send a strong message.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, earth_tone said:

To be fair, Chase Tan does have one thing to apologise for, his not so polished acting. 

Any show with Zoe in it just set the bar too high for all other actors to match up.

She and Pierre Png make such a likeable pair, never would have thought.

LOL, you must be kidding. That overrated expired old hag Lao Zoe dragged the show down with her fakeness and unrealistic antics!

Her screen daughter Foo Fangrong stole her thunder totally with her fresh face, natural acting and flair for performance.

Worse, Lao Zoe's pronunciation is as bad as ever:

“我不浪你去就不浪你去!“

The audience wants to see either fresh faces, talent or both. No one wants to see an untalented old hag hogging the screen with bad acting and pronunciation!

Guest Mary
On 7/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, earth_tone said:

it is a drama serial, no need to overact 
I won't apologise if I am him

Exactly. 

These days people become very uptight.  Say a wrong thing or express some opinion only , wow machiam the end of the world. demand for this demand for that ......... must seek alots of acceptance to ascertain thing .... sign of insecurity  

For me - say all u want is my life, end of the day I am my own judge 

Agree no need to be butt hurt by chase story line.

But, it would be better to portray kyms role to be accepting towards a gay son rather than a paranoid homophobic mother when she suspects Ben Tan is gay.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Mediacorpse

After seeing the fuss online, I came over to see BW and was surprised to see so many people here don't see anything wrong with Mediacorp's negative portrayals. Guess the gay uncles really think differently from the younger generation.

But cmon surely even y'all will find this scene gross?

Guest Mediacorpse

Reposting again cos the link didn't work.

After seeing the fuss online, I came over to see BW and was surprised to see so many people here don't see anything wrong with Mediacorp's negative portrayals. Guess the gay uncles really think differently from the younger generation.

But cmon surely even y'all will find this scene between Zhu Houren and Priscelia gross?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCP4vZWhYgo/

Guest Surprised

I'm surprised only Yahoo News and Dear Straight People are picking up on the Chase Tan controversy. If not for the GE, I think confirm every other media outlet (except Mediacorpse ones) will pick up on this issue. Still waiting to see if Mothership etc will cover it.

17 hours ago, auscent said:

The producers behaved like in the 50s.

No need to promote any acceptance. Neither is there need to trash a particular community.

True.

If mediacock doesn't wanna promote,  at least don't hurt.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

14 hours ago, earth_tone said:

a good drama serial portraying a believable life event has no fault, whether that narrative is acceptable or not is up to individual's ability to understand the plot 

just because there is a display of stereotype on tv, it make some gay people uncomfortable, the choice is theirs not to continue watching.  if we only want to see positive portrayal of gay characters then we are also being too naive and superficial. as a gay man myself, I approve such negative gay roles to appear in dramas (mediacrap or anywhere else) just like how it is ok to see negative straight roles, let's not be overly touchy over this. 

I watched the whole serial last night, at no point did the show claimed that ALL gay characters are negative. We did.

I especially do not appreciate some small business trying to kick up a stupid fuss over this, what is their intention seriously? Riding on your high unicorn pretending to speak for all of us, please don't. Just make all gay people look so petty and covid-too-free nothing-better-to-do. 

Wow what an ignorant self-entitled statement. Who cares whether you find it offensive or not? This issue is much bigger than you.

Nobody say that Mediacorp claims all gay characters are negative. The issue is that the only time Mediacorp portrays LGBT characters, it is ALWAYS negative! This problem boils back to the outdated media censorship laws in Singapore that say ALL LGBT portrayals from Mediacorp MUST be negative as mainstream media cannot be perceived as encouraging a homosexual lifestyle. So in that case, your batshit logic doesn't make any sense because in Mediacorp's world, ALL gay characters are negative. This is literally government propaganda but you are too stupid to even realise it.

As the Dear Straight People article clearly points out, the problem with Mediacock's negative gay portrayals is that a lot of the boomers still only watch mediacock shows. So all these stupid stereotypes do is reinforce these outdated ideas that gay people are all perverts with STDs. No wonder up to now, so many boomers still can't accept their LGBT children.

Mediacock used to be able to get away with this kind of shit but thankfully, we live in a different world where people are much more educated and exposed and so they dare to call out Mediacorp. Last time during the 1990s and 2000s, gay people see this also just need to lan lan shut up. Now Mediacorp is getting called out till the point they need to issue a statement saying they don't mean to discriminate (such bullshit).

So since Mediacork is not allowed to portray positive LGBT characters, then DON'T portray them at all! It is not even necessary to the plot! Just stick to their recycled plot lines involving mistresses, heartland aunties squabbling and lame ass love triangles.

I say good on those who are calling Mediacorp out on this. They definitely won't dare to create such stupid negative one dimensional gay characters again after this whole fiasco.

As for people like you who don't do anything but only know how to bash people who are actually doing something, keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Then less people will realise just how dumb you are. Get ant-gay government propaganda shoved down your throat don't even realise lmao.

Chill guys.

You are both legit in your own points.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest Guest
10 hours ago, jiriki said:

I think the sting for some is that mainstream media in Singapore never had positive or even neutral portrayal of the LGBTQ+ community. It’s always negative, hence the outrage.

Exactly! It's not just one isolated drama but a pattern.

Guest Guest
On 7/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, Guest CCB said:

Media corp approved the story. It is not difficult to see the source of whole anti LGBT issue here.  As a matter of fact, every hate related division creates in this society , the main stream broadcast and broadsheet has blood in their hands .

Anti-gay? Ironically they cast Benjamin Tan in this drama. 

They are pro gay only if they cast him as a gay, a positive and wholesome image one.

No pun intended. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Anti-gay? Ironically they cast Benjamin Tan in this drama. 

Ben Tan already tried to forsake his gay identity for the sake of becoming a mediacorp 'star' but the gay community will never forget. I think if one day Benvoda really become popular, sure got jealous gays leak his old couple photos with stormrobs

Guest guest
17 hours ago, Neh Neh said:

So disappointed in GE, none politician campaign for LGBT right. No one care about LGBT. Should let single to buy new BTO flat.

Thought single already can buy new BTO flat since 2013?

Guest Disclose Your Slutty Self
3 hours ago, Gayleo said:

Ben Tan already tried to forsake his gay identity for the sake of becoming a mediacorp 'star' but the gay community will never forget. I think if one day Benvoda really become popular, sure got jealous gays leak his old couple photos with stormrobs

LOL

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, Gayleo said:

Benjamin Tan need to come out himself. Set precedence for future and current LGBT artists in Singapore. At the same time Ben Tan himself can get the level of fame he desired. Ivan Heng, Kumar and Mark Chan had too little impact when they came out. 

Guest guest
6 hours ago, Neh Neh said:

But i went HDB to ask. The HDB auntie told me "go buy resale".

You can only buy a new 2 room bto, if you want to buy a bigger new bto flat, current policy still doesn't allow. Or your salary has exceeded the income ceiling eligible to buy new bto flat which is $6,000, then you are also cannot buy new bto. 

Guest guest
9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Benjamin Tan need to come out himself. Set precedence for future and current LGBT artists in Singapore. At the same time Ben Tan himself can get the level of fame he desired. Ivan Heng, Kumar and Mark Chan had too little impact when they came out. 

True, since ben tan joined mdc from outside, he can just be honest in his sexual orientation, whether audience can accept or not, he doesn't lose anything since he is a newcomer. Whereas those actors who already in mdc for very long, they might afraid to come out liao.

13 hours ago, earth_tone said:

You were just accusing me of "bashing people who are actually doing something" for our LGBT community, now here you are calling Ben Tan out in the forum so.  this is what you are doing for our community. before you start accusing others on your high horse, bring your conscience to the ground and shut your gap up.  who are you to claim that he had forsaken his identity, are you his manager.  u do not need to mention again about his private life, give that chap a chance to pursue his goal in peace FFS. 

Maybe I forgot, this is a news and gossip thread, most suited for snakes like you.  

I met people like you irl, absolutely creepy. 

My last comment in this thread, I will let your actions speak for yourself.

I am bashing Ben Tan because he has done NOTHING for the community. You got see me bash Hirzi or Lew??

Ben Tan CHANGED his name from Benvoda because he wanted to dissociate himself from the community. Ben Tan also deleted his FB account, set up a new super private FB because he wanted to get rid of his gay FB friends.

Please lah you obviously know nothing about Ben, probably never even met him before irl. Ben has a super bad reputation in the gay community for his cheating and gold digging ways. Don't believe just ask any gay millennial. Or just look back at some of the old posts on this thread here.

You are obviously some gay uncle completely out of touch with the gay community. Keep living in your own world.

1 hour ago, hsf said:

《我的女侠罗明依》预告片......this drama really looks promising

Looks promising. 

But majority grassroot heartlanders won't know how to appreciate. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Mediacorp apologises for TV drama containing negative gay stereotypes

fd521410-b862-11e7-a633-51eb4a85fb9e_unnamed-2-.jpg
Teng Yong Ping
Lifestyle Editor
Yahoo Lifestyle SEA13 July 2020
(From left to right) Actors Kym Ng, Benjamin Tan, Brandon Wong and Jin Yin Ji in Channel 8 drama My Guardian Angels by Singapore media company and broadcaster Mediacorp.

(From left to right) Actors Kym Ng, Benjamin Tan, Brandon Wong and Jin Yin Ji in Channel 8 drama My Guardian Angels.

SINGAPORE — National broadcaster Mediacorp has apologised for a TV drama containing negative stereotypes of gay people following a backlash from its viewers and the LGBTQ community.

In response to social media posts criticising Channel 8 drama My Guardian Angels, Mediacorp said in a statement that it had no intention to disrespect or discriminate against any persons or community in the drama.

“We are sorry if we have offended anyone or caused any distress. We have heard your feedback and will continue to exercise vigilance and be more mindful in our portrayal of characters,” said Mediacorp.

Yahoo Lifestyle SEA first reported about netizens’ criticism of Channel 8 and Mediacorp regarding the Chinese-language drama on 3 July. The show features characters displaying homophobic behaviour, and a male paedophilic character who has a sexually transmitted disease.

Mediacorp’s apology follows an earlier one from actor Chase Tan, who played the paedophilic character. Tan apologised for causing distress to the LGBTQ community because of the character. (See Tan’s full apology here.)

Singapore’s broadcasting rules do not allow content that has positive portrayals of LGBTQ people or promotes “homosexual lifestyles”.

Singapore broadcaster Mediacorp apologised on 13 July, 2020 in response to criticism on social media that Channel 8 drama My Guardian Angels contained scenes and characters that perpetuated negative stereotypes of gay people.

Mediacorp apologised in response to criticism on social media that a Channel 8 drama perpetuated negative stereotypes of gay people.
More

The furore over the TV show began two weeks ago after gay business owner Teo Yu Sheng posted comments criticising the drama on the Instagram account of his queer brand, Heckin’ Unicorn. Teo, 29, highlighted storylines and scenes in My Guardian Angels, which he said promote false negative perceptions of the LGBTQ community.

One character, a basketball coach played by Chase Tan, molests a teenage boy in one of the scenes. In a separate scene, another boy is shown as having sores, indicating that he is infected with a sexually transmitted disease by the coach.

In other scenes, characters played by Kym Ng and Brandon Wong behave in a homophobic manner. The two actors play a couple in My Guardian Angels.

Flak from LGBTQ community

The 30-episode series, aired on Channel 8 in April and May, is still available for viewing on YouTube and Mediacorp’s streaming service, meWatch. The show also stars Zoe Tay, Pierre Png, Hong Ling, Chen Tianwen, Jin Yin Ji, Benjamin Tan, Edwin Goh and Fang Rong.

Criticisms of the show’s homophobic scenes spread on various social media platforms, including InstagramTwitter and Reddit. Netizens have written numerous comments in the Instagram accounts of Mediacorp and Channel 8, calling for the company to apologise for causing harm and distress to the LGBTQ community.  

Chase Tan, and fellow actors Kym Ng and Brandon Wong were singled out by netizens for their roles in the TV series, which perpetuate negative perceptions of LGBTQ people such as gay men being sexual predators. They also pointed out that such depictions of queer people are not balanced by positive portrayals in local media.

Calls for action beyond apology

Commenting on Mediacorp’s apology, Teo said, “I’m glad that Mediacorp has finally mustered the courage to apologise, though it’s disappointing that it took them so long to do so. But an apology also isn’t enough; I hope that Mediacorp can pledge to stop creating negative portrayals of the LGBTQ+ community from now onwards. Taking real action is the only true form of apology.”

Guest Heylloooo

Mediacorpse is hopeless la. Their main purpose around is to spread propaganda for elderlies, seriously how many young people still watch them these days?!

I am not butt hurt.

BUT this complaint serves as a good warning to mediacorp to not to film negative image of the community again. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Applause
17 minutes ago, Guest Applause said:

Reddit users are way more informed and educated than some users here.

Sorry, read this thread instead.

https://imgur.com/a/CBkZ9sI#hTuyKfr

Imo unfair to make artise reject roles.

They need to make a living. The onus is with the producer and story writer.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

至少可以给予它们一个口头警告,不再重蹈覆辙

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Tyler nipples

他也只是一个戏子

无辜吖

难道你们公司如果是卖刀

人家可以骂你

就说人家买了刀杀人。

就做戏罢辽。。。 酱认真的

On 7/9/2020 at 11:36 PM, hsf said:

《我的女侠罗明依》预告片......this drama really looks promising

Looks promising! 

But I feel they shouldn't have included the time travel aspect as that just makes Mediacorp seem like they got no budget to sustain a period drama. They should have kept it as a period drama with reduced episodes (around 10 also ok) like Netflix style. Netflix's Kingdom only had 6 episodes per season.

1 hour ago, Gayleo said:

Looks promising! 

But I feel they shouldn't have included the time travel aspect as that just makes Mediacorp seem like they got no budget to sustain a period drama. They should have kept it as a period drama with reduced episodes (around 10 also ok) like Netflix style. Netflix's Kingdom only had 6 episodes per season.

But is true that they do not have that much budget to sustain a whole period drama for 30 episodes. I am in fact suprised that they can actually travelled all the way to China to film part of this show for that time period. With the recent much promotion of this show and rarely mediacorp filmed such period drama, I foresee the ratings for this show should be high. 

31 minutes ago, bigdanbeam said:

Time travel genre is cliche. 

Mediacock is cliche.

In China, the leads of those romance drama are artistes in their early 20s.

In SG, aunties and grannies are still playing these roles. How to improve?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

2 hours ago, fab said:

Mediacock is cliche.

In China, the leads of those romance drama are artistes in their early 20s.

In SG, aunties and grannies are still playing these roles. How to improve?

That is actually what turns me off from many China dramas. Their male leads all look like underaged sissy boys.  

At least the male leads (most of them anyway) in SG dramas look like real hunks.

• IkuTube changed the title to Mediacorp Artists - News And Gossips 新传媒新闻和八卦 (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.