Male HQ

What Are Gays Most Worrying Problem about growing old? + Anxiety of growing old (compiled)

Guest guest

Just now, Guest Looking for gay neighbour said:

Agree, asked them to visit once a year they find it a chore still.  Forget about asking them to look after you 24/7.  Even your own brother/sister may not do it.  They told you straight in the face they are "busy".  So ya,  better look for a gay buddy, hopefully staying nearby,  best is having a gay neighbour - keeping a lookout for each other and still maintained each other privacy.

Not easy man.anything with benefits not easy to obtain from others. Aiyah..y think so much

Sure got way to survive. Time to go we will go.

Caregivers looking after aged parents deserve more recognition than being labelled as pitiful. It takes courage to deal with the responsibility.

Older guy may have lesser chance if being hitched. But when i was younger, turmoil of being in-out of relationship + emotional immaturity was just as excruciating.

2 hours ago, Guest Looking for gay neighbour said:

Agree, asked them to visit once a year they find it a chore still.  Forget about asking them to look after you 24/7.  Even your own brother/sister may not do it.  They told you straight in the face they are "busy".  So ya,  better look for a gay buddy, hopefully staying nearby,  best is having a gay neighbour - keeping a lookout for each other and still maintained each other privacy.

HDB should enbloc one for LGBT.  Police will be thankful for unclaimed corpses who died in their own flat. 

1 hour ago, auscent said:

Caregivers looking after aged parents deserve more recognition than being labelled as pitiful. It takes courage to deal with the responsibility.

Older guy may have lesser chance if being hitched. But when i was younger, turmoil of being in-out of relationship + emotional immaturity was just as excruciating.

Every gay son in their 40s and 50s will have to take on this responsibility.   Bringing them for medical appointments, sorting out piles of medicine, wheeling them out for meals etc.  Maid doesn't help much.

Don't read and response to guests' post

2 hours ago, auscent said:

Very true

Guest Gay son

My mum had an old friend with a gay son who unfortunately died of kidney failure many yrs ago. And guess what, her late gay son's partner is the one who take care of her when she had senile dementia. My mum told me she saw the guy actually piggy back her crossing the road and bringing her to hospital. 

Guest 3RD WORLD
1 hour ago, LeanMature said:

HDB should enbloc one for LGBT.  Police will be thankful for unclaimed corpses who died in their own flat. 

Singapore is still a very backward country in many areas.  Don't expect the current calculative govt to be passionate about many things otherwise they will just  bring out lame excuses to put you in your place of society.  Just like diabetes, pre-school education, old folks cares and facilities and smart nation,  they need 52 years to be aware of such importance and now play catching up games. 

13 minutes ago, Guest Gay son said:

My mum had an old friend with a gay son who unfortunately died of kidney failure many yrs ago. And guess what, her late gay son's partner is the one who take care of her when she had senile dementia. My mum told me she saw the guy actually piggy back her crossing the road and bringing her to hospital. 

this is really rare... look at how this gay relationship has turned out to be... very touching... and really rare...

not sure if daughter in law would even take care of the mom in law to such extend

I am happy for the mother...

34 minutes ago, Guest PiggyBack said:

No need to piggy back. Just call any Grab uncle who are desperate to provide subsidies  transport .

When someone help u call them desperate uncle.still better than daughter in law bitches who dont bother abt mother in law when even the hubby is around. Dont say after the hubby died.hmmm...

Guest Office Slavery

Which is why must always jog and kept healthy.  I already make it my journal to jog few kliks within a week.  Don't want to work work work and than stress stress and more stress to meet boss KPI and he didn't even bother to care about your health.  

13 hours ago, Guest Office Slavery said:

Which is why must always jog and kept healthy.  I already make it my journal to jog few kliks within a week.  Don't want to work work work and than stress stress and more stress to meet boss KPI and he didn't even bother to care about your health.  

Don't want to jog jog jog, thinking that you are doing the best for your health.

Especially if you are not too young,  weight lifting becomes more important than aerobics as years pass by.

In middle age you can do away with aerobics and concentrate on exercising with heavy weights to maintain musculature.

Of course if you have the time, weight lifting with some aerobics is the best.

Guest Knee Cap
43 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

In middle age you can do away with aerobics and concentrate on exercising with heavy weights to maintain musculature.

Of course if you have the time, weight lifting with some aerobics is the best.

Adding stress on your knees is Bad.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:38 PM, yoyo74 said:

If you keep yourself fit and healthy you will still have market. Look at Chuando hes already 50s and still have good market. As for lonliness why dont you make lots of gay friends? If you lonely at old age thats cause you did not open up and make gay friends during the younger times.

Fact is, how many can be like chuando?

This is a superficial circle, no looks no body, who will turn to look or talk? Some in their 20s already no friends no lover. The journey ahead is tough when one is not attractive enough, not bounded by any age at all.

I once, took this uncle's cab back when i was in the army 5 years ago. He was, i think, to be in his late 50s? So, throughout the trip, we did have some conversation, and then the topic about family came up. He suddenly sounded sad, and he opened up to me, telling me he is gay. His family disown him when they got to know of his sexuality. His siblings refused to have any relationship with him. To them, he is a disgrace. I was quiet and just listened to his life story the whole time. He told me he gets lonely, no friends, no family. I felt sad for him and at the same time i hope i won't ever be in the same situation as him. When we finally reached my destination, he turned around and continued chatting, he didnt stop and it seems like he is enjoying it, having someone to chat with. But because i was in a rush to camp, i had to apologize and left. And coincidentally, the week after, i happened to take his cab again. He even gave me a discounted price :D that aside, i hope he is doing well. My prayers and well wishes to all of u guys too. To be healthy and lead everyday life meaningfully with lots of love and an abundance of joy and laughter. Cheers to life!

10 minutes ago, Guest Smiley said:

I once, took this uncle's cab back when i was in the army 5 years ago. He was, i think, to be in his late 50s? So, throughout the trip, we did have some conversation, and then the topic about family came up. He suddenly sounded sad, and he opened up to me, telling me he is gay. His family disown him when they got to know of his sexuality. His siblings refused to have any relationship with him. To them, he is a disgrace. I was quiet and just listened to his life story the whole time. He told me he gets lonely, no friends, no family. I felt sad for him and at the same time i hope i won't ever be in the same situation as him. When we finally reached my destination, he turned around and continued chatting, he didnt stop and it seems like he is enjoying it, having someone to chat with. But because i was in a rush to camp, i had to apologize and left. And coincidentally, the week after, i happened to take his cab again. He even gave me a discounted price :D that aside, i hope he is doing well. My prayers and well wishes to all of u guys too. To be healthy and lead everyday life meaningfully with lots of love and an abundance of joy and laughter. Cheers to life!

thanks for sharing this. i wonder if there is a support group for the middle aged and above gays in spore.

Guest Handsome Uncle

Typical stereotyping of matured men, always sad, always desperate...

When I say that I consider myself good-looking from the reactions of those around me, it's heresy.

I exercise, take good care of my skin and hair. It's tough and tiring. Yet it's not that difficult to do. Anybody can do that. Yes there are sad, fat scruffy uncles around. But I don't pity them. It's obviously a choice they make. I've so many friends like that and they don't even bother to justify their laziness anymore because it's so lame and used when there are the few of us who are old yet fit and healthy. We blow away all their excuses by positive examples.

8 hours ago, Guest Handsome Uncle said:

Typical stereotyping of matured men, always sad, always desperate...

When I say that I consider myself good-looking from the reactions of those around me, it's heresy.

I exercise, take good care of my skin and hair. It's tough and tiring. Yet it's not that difficult to do. Anybody can do that. Yes there are sad, fat scruffy uncles around. But I don't pity them. It's obviously a choice they make. I've so many friends like that and they don't even bother to justify their laziness anymore because it's so lame and used when there are the few of us who are old yet fit and healthy. We blow away all their excuses by positive examples.

When it comes to looks, we can only make the best of what we are born with, barring extreme option of plastic surgery. Life is unfair. Someone blessed genetically with clear skin, sharp features and good built can just put on a simple t shirt and still draw attention. But for those who are less lucky in their looks department, they have to put in more effort, and still never be on par with the former. 

Looks fade for everyone. We all will get old. Unfortunately, for many, while we were young, we thought we were invincible. The arrogance of youth, and we focus our energies and attention on things that don't really matter or last. If you fall in love with someone, treasure the relationship, and build it to last. Even though Singapore does not recognise gay relationships of any form, create your own. 

I believe I have shared this before. Years ago, a friend and I visited his dad (who had come out late) and his partner in their home. Unbeknowst to me, the area where they live is actually somewhat a "gay" retirement area. One evening, there was a social event, and it was a bunch of older gay gentlemen, some single, some partnered, just having a good time. The bulk of their discussion was on some bird migration, as they all seem to be in some bird watching/nature club. They put together events, host fundraisers, art classes, etc. and really seem to have a pretty good life. 

Some even go to the local college to take classes on topics that are of interest to them. So life isn't all that bad. Granted, it is not in Singapore, but all it takes are a few guys coming together. Of course, it is always easier to moan and whine behind the computer/phone and complain about life being hopeless than actually have to do something about it. 

Love. 

13 minutes ago, Allegro said:

This is why I am so envious of my parents, already coming to 70 and still loving each other so dearly.

Only in my 20's and by looking at the attitude of guys I have dated and met throughout the years, I doubt any gay relationship would last unless pigs can fly.

Well, you should check out the gay retirement place then. Some couples have been together for over 40 years. The pigs did fly. You were too busy focused on something else. 

Love. 

33 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Well, you should check out the gay retirement place then. Some couples have been together for over 40 years. The pigs did fly. You were too busy focused on something else. 

what is this "gay retirement place" that you keep mentioning? some sort of secret gay cult in singapore?

well the pigs really flew for those few guys but never for most.

As my nick suggests, i had been through all those negative sterotyping. Even my postings here go mostly un-noticed. Life is never fair so i just had to move on. lol

To the young and arrogant, no one stays beautiful forever (yeah cliche but true), everyone aged. Be kind to each other, we are already a small marginalized community, why further hurt each other within the community? 

2 hours ago, Allegro said:

This is why I am so envious of my parents, already coming to 70 and still loving each other so dearly.

Only in my 20's and by looking at the attitude of guys I have dated and met throughout the years, I doubt any gay relationship would last unless pigs can fly.

Many people think that gay relationship would not last but does the many people also reflect on themselves whether they did the correct thing to make a gay relationship last? I believe any kind and sensible guys be it straight or gay can still easily get a long lasting relationship.

1 hour ago, Allegro said:

what is this "gay retirement place" that you keep mentioning? some sort of secret gay cult in singapore?

well the pigs really flew for those few guys but never for most.

It is in Sarasota, Florida. Not in Singapore. It is technically not gay per se, but it just happened that a group of gay friends, all bought houses near each other, and it just became gay that way. Not the most exciting town to be in, but it is near the beach, and most houses have pools in the area. Life is really slow, but I think that is what you look for in retirement. 

Love. 

15 minutes ago, yoyo74 said:

Many people think that gay relationship would not last but does the many people also reflect on themselves whether they did the correct thing to make a gay relationship last? I believe any kind and sensible guys be it straight or gay can still easily get a long lasting relationship.

If you don't believe in any long-term relationships, then your behaviour will reflect that belief. One thing to ask yourself every so often, when you are in a relationship is- What are you doing that will draw the 2 of you closer and what are you doing that is pushing you guys apart? 

Relationship does really need work, as many liken it to nurturing a plant. Besides sunshine and water, you need to give it TLC for it bloom. If you are not willing to invest the time in tending to the relationship, it is not going to happen. So if you have lost all hope, you are responsible, at least to yourself. 

Love. 

12 hours ago, Guest Smiley said:

I m in my 40s & I started planning my future 20yrs ago.  Why? Because from the start I knew we gay can't have a "proper family", married & have kids i mean. Or worst I might be alone.

I do not want my family to disown me just like the taxi uncle you mentioned above ,so i m discreet on my sexuality.

After coming out to work in the society, i kept telling myself i need to plan for my future. I work hard, save hard & did some investement because i knew what i want for my future. I did make some money from investment but i did not stop working, i still hold a part time job. To be frank i do have a sex buddy of the same age, my army buddy. But he is a married man with kids so can't be with me all the time.

I might consider myself as single but I m not lonely. I travel solo to see the world every 2 to 3 months. I too travel to Bangkok quite frrequetly because i bought a studio apartment in the city few years back. I consider that is my second home, a home for me to retire, & too a meeting place with my sex buddy...haha! 

As a gay i myself believe planning for our future, our retirement is very important. You need to work hard for what you want too.

On 05/09/2017 at 0:27 PM, auscent said:

Alone doesnt equal lonely!

True, if you "enjoy" being alone.  This usually happened when someone has been single for a long long time.  They feel disturbed when there is a second person in the house. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

12 hours ago, Guest guest said:

I m in my 40s & I started planning my future 20yrs ago.  Why? Because from the start I knew we gay can't have a "proper family", married & have kids i mean. Or worst I might be alone.

I do not want my family to disown me just like the taxi uncle you mentioned above ,so i m discreet on my sexuality.

After coming out to work in the society, i kept telling myself i need to plan for my future. I work hard, save hard & did some investement because i knew what i want for my future. I did make some money from investment but i did not stop working, i still hold a part time job. To be frank i do have a sex buddy of the same age, my army buddy. But he is a married man with kids so can't be with me all the time.

I might consider myself as single but I m not lonely. I travel solo to see the world every 2 to 3 months. I too travel to Bangkok quite frrequetly because i bought a studio apartment in the city few years back. I consider that is my second home, a home for me to retire, & too a meeting place with my sex buddy...haha! 

As a gay i myself believe planning for our future, our retirement is very important. You need to work hard for what you want too.

That is great! Happy for u. I should start planning too. I am bad with relationship, never dated before too. But im good to be single :) wish me luck alright! :)

Yes, some of us here are better off as singles. However, one should then make plans for the latter years in terms of finances. It also does not hurt to have some good friends, whom you can call out to for company - even better if they live nearby, since mobility may be an issue with age.

Слава Україні!

Yes at 56 now..

Beauty and youthfulness are all long gone but that few extra inches of SKIN at the obvious places do nothing to dampen the spirit.

I still do some lighter forms of exercise regularly and just yesterday, went for a swim with my China friends at Genting. I have no qualms donning a pair of speedos and still look more desirable than them, some at least 15 years younger than me. 

So don't put ourselves down as EXPIRED goods...We cannot discount the quality of life..

老男人不是过期物品。

我们要像醇酒, 越老越有味道。

听过“风韵犹存”..可以老,可以不太俊,但 不可以放弃自己。

18 minutes ago, abang said:

So don't put ourselves down as EXPIRED goods...We cannot discount the quality of life. 

Haha...EXPIRED goods!  I dun wan to be one n seriously tat is y I m maintaining my image my body n most important planning my financial for later years ahead. 

If I cnt be an "atas"(high class) gay but at least be 1 tat is "good quality" gay. 

My group of str8 frenz have been calling those hungry gays cruising at toilet in hokkien term "lok" gay, meaning poor n low standard ,no value, nobody wan. Is sad tho upon hearing, so I m not gog to be one like them. 

14 hours ago, Guest guest said:

That is a pretty shitty life, his heart is only for his wife yet he wants you only for fun. I am quite puzzled why some gays don't mind being the fuckboy or extra so to each his own I guess. Guys like you are resigned to the fate of never ever finding love or giving love without sex.

Guest Guest gong
15 hours ago, Guest guest said:

When u need ur sex buddy but he can't be with u because he need to stay with his wife n family. The feeling is as good as single. Never find a married man as bf or sex buddy. You r just their sex machine. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest gong said:

When u need ur sex buddy but he can't be with u because he need to stay with his wife n family. The feeling is as good as single. Never find a married man as bf or sex buddy. You r just their sex machine. 

That is why I consider myself SINGLE.

I m not those horny kind who always wanted sex. But if he texted me saying he wanted the night to be with me, then I will go ahead with him if I m in town.

Why him? Because we started trying out sex together during the army and we felt comfortable with each other after that. We make a clear line, best buddy and sex buddy, full stop.

I love what I have now, single, time and freedom.

Of course I m not a saint, if happen I m in Bangkok and the urge of having fun came, I will still bring man up to my studio apartment to have fun. 

15 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I m not those horny kind who always wanted sex. But if he texted me saying he wanted the night to be with me, then I will go ahead with him if I m in town.

Why him? Because we started trying out sex together during the army and we felt comfortable with each other after that. We make a clear line, best buddy and sex buddy, full stop.

Of course I m not a saint, if happen I m in Bangkok and the urge of having fun came, I will still bring man up to my studio apartment to have fun. 

Sex in the city? Or dinner in the city? 

Honestly as I can't speak on behalf of others, I yearn for someone to love me unconditionally.  However as superficial as it seems, no money, no physique, no BIG dick, no handsomeness, no good temperament = no talk.  

At this age, I really have to give up this hope of that Mr. Right.  But as the Chinese says,

骑驴找马。。I am still searching for that elusive one.

2 hours ago, abang said:

Honestly as I can't speak on behalf of others, I yearn for someone to love me unconditionally.  However as superficial as it seems, no money, no physique, no BIG dick, no handsomeness, no good temperament = no talk.  

At this age, I really have to give up this hope of that Mr. Right.  But as the Chinese says,

骑驴找马。。I am still searching for that elusive one.

As long as you don't compromise and settle. Nothing is worse than waking up one day and realised that that is what you did. Unfortunately for many closeted gay men who married, they settled for whatever reasons. 

In the words of the belated Whitney Houston, "I'd rather be alone than unhappy..." 

Wearing a speedo is a personal choice. As long as you can rock it. Flaunt it. :) 

Love. 

On 04/09/2017 at 10:05 PM, Guest Knee Cap said:

Adding stress on your knees is Bad.

Yes, adding stress on your knees is bad, this is what happens with obese people. Their weight is a persistent stress that wears out the joint.

But weight exercises apply the weight in short bouts, the reps in a set, that stimulate growth instead of wearing out.

Exercising with heavy squats is good for the knees, provided they are done with good form.

15 hours ago, abang said:

Yes at 56 now..

I still do some lighter forms of exercise regularly...

56 is not an age to do "lighter forms" of exercise.

Instead, it is an age to work up to heavy weight lifting to build up and preserve a good body  throughout old age.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Good for you!  FREEDOM is a precious commodity that is not valued enough.  And it is put down by those who didn't realize its value until they lost it and now only can claim "the grapes are sour".

Guest I want to say something

Sometime people were lonely because they were being bullied.   I witnessed my neighbours ganged up to bully a lonely old man, to make matter worse, the old man's immediate neighbour lived a very noisey and mentally challenged old woman.  Double whamp for him.  Every day, I see him deterioriated because of the stress he has to endure because nobody likes him.  Since then, we hardly see him,  he is mostly home-bound, dare not go out to face other people.  If this is not lonely, what is?

3 hours ago, Guest I want to say something said:

Sometime people were lonely because they were being bullied.   I witnessed my neighbours ganged up to bully a lonely old man, to make matter worse, the old man's immediate neighbour lived a very noisey and mentally challenged old woman.  Double whamp for him.  Every day, I see him deterioriated because of the stress he has to endure because nobody likes him.  Since then, we hardly see him,  he is mostly home-bound, dare not go out to face other people.  If this is not lonely, what is?

It seems that you got a rare opportunity to build good karma by defending the lonely old man in front of your neighbours, not by attacking them but by arguing reason into them.  You can also befriend this old man and make him less lonely. What you have to lose?

Guest I want to say something
13 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

It seems that you got a rare opportunity to build good karma by defending the lonely old man in front of your neighbours, not by attacking them but by arguing reason into them.  You can also befriend this old man and make him less lonely. What you have to lose?

I did,  once I saw an Old Malay fat woman covering her nose with her Tudung, when the old man was with us in the lift.  I sarcastically asked the Malay fat lady whether she farted.

One thing to be mindful of, especially when older, and being gay and single, is to make sure to have a social life and a support system in place. Without those in place, it is very easy to fall into chronic depression which can be very severe. As mentioned before, reach out to people (friends and or/family) who love you and accept you as you are, and what has found to be someone therapeutic for older people is to get a pet- i.e. a cat, or a dog etc. You are not alone. 

Love. 

22 minutes ago, doncoin said:

One thing to be mindful of, especially when older, and being gay and single, is to make sure to have a social life and a support system in place. Without those in place, it is very easy to fall into chronic depression which can be very severe. As mentioned before, reach out to people (friends and or/family) who love you and accept you as you are, and what has found to be someone therapeutic for older people is to get a pet- i.e. a cat, or a dog etc. You are not alone. 

I am surprised that many Singaporeans are shy to make youtube video.  Americans like to make youtube video to past time, showing the world the simpliest of activities in their life and than derived joys from reading encouraging comments from around the world.   I am one of them who is shy.  Otherwise, I will make videos how I spend my life, show the world my capabilities, collections and hobbies.  Who knows, may get some income if I ask people to buy me coffee for doing a video.  What do you think?

• G_M changed the title to What Are Gays Most Worrying Problem about growing old? + Anxiety of growing old (compiled)
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.