Male HQ

What if You Never Find ‘The One’?

Guest Uneasy

What if You Never Find ‘The One’?

By Heidi Priebe on Wednesday October 26th, 2016

TheOneFeature.jpg

Daring to Ask the Forbidden Question

Imagine something crazy for me, quickly.

What if you peered into a fortune ball right now – this very second, today – and saw with indisputable clarity that you were never going to meet the love of your life?

That’s a sad thing that I’m asking you to think of, I’m aware. You’ve been hoping to meet “The One” for a while now – or at least someone half-decent who you can deal with for the rest of your life. I know, I know. You’re not fanciful like everyone else. You don’t believe in soul mates. But you were expecting to meet someone you liked a fair amount. Someone to curl up next to at the end of a long day, who would take care of you when you got sick and listen to your stories every evening after work. We all hope for that. We’re human.

Because here’s the thing about finding love – it affects us constantly. And we all loathe admitting it, but love is on the forefront of our actions, even when it’s not on the forefront of our minds. It’s the reason you bought those new jeans last week. It’s the reason you went to that barbecue that you didn’t want to go to last weekend. It’s the reason you sometimes feel cripplingly insecure and inadequate and scared about everything that’s coming next. Love is what inspires most of your greatest changes.

Love is on the forefront of our actions even when it’s not on the forefront of our minds.Love is on the forefront of our actions, even when it’s not on the forefront of our minds.

What Would Change?

So if you knew, with indisputable certainty, that love was never going to be yours, how would you live your life differently? What about your daily routine would you alter? What about your long-term plans?

Your first inclination may be to say “nothing.” After all, you’re a smart person. You have plans that don’t involve someone else’s influence. We all do. But ponder it a few moments more. Because here’s what we don’t want to admit about love: it is a crutch that we use all the time. The idea that someday somebody will love all our flaws is a subtle excuse not to work on them. The principle of two halves making a whole restrains us from becoming our own better half. We want someone to swoop in during our darkest hour and save us, but what if we knew they never would? We’d have to start doing everything differently.

If you knew that love would never be an option for you, what would be? How would you structure the rest of your life? Would it have a heavier focus on career, a stronger inclination toward success? Or would you use the time to invest in yourself – go on a few more vacations, travel further outside your comfort zone? If you knew that you would never again feel the rush of budding romance, where would you turn to for your thrills? How would you get your blood pumping?

And what about your other relationships – would they suddenly take on more weight? Would you spend more time appreciating your family, if you knew that they are the people who will have loved you the most strongly at the end of your life? What about your friendships? Would you nurture and care more for the people who love you platonically if you knew that nobody would ever love you romantically? Would you show up a little more often, share a little more of your life?

Would you show up a little more often, share a little more of your life?Would you show up a little more often, share a little more of your life?

Embracing the Freedom

My inclination is to believe that never finding love would be a game-changer for most of us. One we’d initially consider to be devastating but may eventually realize is the ultimate liberation. Without the fear of ending up alone, the opportunities open to you would become endless. You could live on every continent. You could scale the corporate ladder. You could go back to school and get that degree you’ve always felt interested in, without worrying about the financial burden your debt may place on somebody else. Love holds us back in an infinite amount of subtle ways that perhaps we do not even realize. And the guarantee of its absence may just be the ultimate sense of liberation.

Because if we didn’t have to search for the love of our lives, we would finally be free to realize that we are allowed to be the loves of our own. That we can spend our lives developing ourselves, challenging ourselves, pampering ourselves and building ourselves up to be bigger, more capable people than we ever once hoped to become. We could become everything we’ve been searching for. We could construct our soul mates in ourselves.

img1We could become everything we’ve been searching for.

What You Need to Do

If there’s one thing we all need to stop doing, it’s waiting around for someone else to show up and change our lives. Just be the person you’ve been waiting for. Live your life as if you are the love of it. Because that’s the only thing you know for sure – that through every triumph, every failure, every fear, and every gain that you will ever experience until the day you die, you are going to be present. You are going to be the person who shows up to accept your rewards. You are going to be the person who holds your own hand when you’re broken. You are going to be the person who gets yourself up off the floor every time you get knocked down and if those things are not love-of-your-life qualities, I don’t know what are.

We have to start appreciating all that we bring to our own lives. Because the ironic truth is, you are most attractive when you’re not worried about who you’re attracting. When you’re living your life confidently, freely, and without restraint, you emit the kind of energy that it just isn’t possible to fake. The kind of energy that’s capable of transforming, not just your own life, but the lives of people around you.

So stop looking for ‘The One’ to spend the rest of your life with. Be ‘The One’.

And let everybody else come searching for you.

~~~~

Read Next: How to Hold Space for Yourself

Featured Image: Ana Luísa Pinto

How do you feel about this article? Join the conversation.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Words By Heidi Priebe

Originally posted on Ideaspots

https://upliftconnect.com/what-if-you-never-find-the-one/

So basically this article is about the losers who can't find one's partner and what to do about it.  Sort of a Plan B.

Wahahaha... 😆😆😆.  

Personally, I feel her (boring) words are meant for WOMEN.  (Probably ugly women.... real and fake ones).  You're better off listening to Eagle's Desperado

Edited by FattChoy

"the one" is a myth.  In reality it is "the many".

Couldn't we find a large percentage of acquaintances or strangers who could become our partners?   I think that at least 1 in 10 gays I have known could have made a good partner, given the circumstances.   And at least 1 out of 10 women who befriended me could have become my wife.

Let's be honest.  It is not necessary that the stars of the zodiac align in a perfect way for us to find a partner.   More important is the interest and willingness to find love, even if a little compromise is necessary.  And if there is not this interest and willingness, where is the problem?

9 hours ago, Guest Real issues said:

No sex. The greatest human  problem.

You wrote a good punch line.  But rather than "greatest",  it is at most "one of the"

Illness is much worse than lack of sex.  And how about self-sex?  Don't we have two hands, a second one in case the first one gets tired?  And those who are into it,  don't they have wonderful collections by Tenga?

I consider myself already having 'the one'. But sometimes I wondered what if I didn't. My conclusion, I would be leading a very different life, but still as great as the one I have now. 

People always think being single is sad and lonely. I just think they're stupid. Lol. There's pros and cons in both being with someone and being single. Just enjoy whatever you have. Either way life is fun when you make it fun. 

20 hours ago, mate69 said:

Lots of people never ever find "the one" but still live their lives purposefully and productively.

Not ever finding "the one" is way better than finding and settling for/with the "wrong one".

Hahaha...yes. The "one" can make your life a heaven on earth or a life ruined by hell fire on earth yo. 

Edited by yuquidam

3 minutes ago, yuquidam said:

The harder you try to find the one the harder the one will try to run away. So don't have to find the one. When the right time comes the one will find you to be his one..LOL

Especially the butterfly ones.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Find or Don't find. Life will still go on with or without you. That is life. It is what it is. We all have the power to make decisions work around circumstances. Extremely rarely should it be one where you get to blame others for your predicament since we all have that chance to do something about it. We can't all get what we want all the time. SO why dwell further on it instead of moving on till circumstances changes. Be tough as a nail or a snowflake.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Sadness
17 hours ago, yuquidam said:

Hahaha...yes. The "one" can make your life a heaven on earth or a life ruined by hell fire on earth yo. 

I get what you mean but by definition, if he makes your life "ruined by hell fire on earth" he's not "The One", is he?   Unless you were talking about a "wrong one".

12 hours ago, Guest Sadness said:

I get what you mean but by definition, if he makes your life "ruined by hell fire on earth" he's not "The One", is he?   Unless you were talking about a "wrong one".

Yes bro, indeed. I was talking about the "wrong one". And the "wrong one" was, unfortunately, one whom we first thought to be "the one" until hell fire rained. So "the wrong one"  turned out to be wrong often after he first was thought to be "the one".

Am not discouraging (or encouraging) others to look for "the one". Good to keep eyes and heart open but at the same time built up sufficient fortitude to live a fulfilling life with or without "the one" or "the wrong one". 

I sincerely wish all the lonely hearts (including myself) out there a happy and fulfilling life whatever our relationship status - "single" or "married" or "attached" or "divorced" or "widowed".

Edited by yuquidam

The one is hard to find that like you and love you as what you are. Is better to be alone than you thought you have found the the one as the one that will betray you sleeping around and only after your money. Just be happy get healthy and stay healthy and along the way if you meet someone that enjoy the moment and company. I better to be alone and have the one hurt your heart and burn your pocket. At the end of the day when you go 6 foot under is alone no one with you or company you.

Edited by fetish72

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.