Male HQ

If we are teaching our children well, what are the odds that they will still not succeed?

Guest Pam Anderson

100% will not succeed because the government views all locals as trash even if you graduate from Raffles, so the entire country has to compete with those fake talents which the government lets in such as those liar CECA snakes. Tell me how your children can become successful in such an environment unless, of course, you are a privileged elite.  

On 10/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, Guest Guest said:

100% will not succeed because the government views all locals as trash even if you graduate from Raffles, so the entire country has to compete with those fake talents which the government lets in such as those liar CECA snakes. Tell me how your children can become successful in such an environment unless, of course, you are a privileged elite.  

Well, if you are depending on someone or some organization to be successful, you are obviously not well taught. For those who have enjoyed success, they probably failed many more times before they came even close to where they are. So you are correct in saying 100% will not succeed if they are dependent on the others, government included. 

Love. 

Guest Tio Bo?

Success comes when you start learning to let go, instead of trying.  Sometimes, failure is also a form of success because it leads you to a different path better than being "successful".

On 10/8/2021 at 8:13 AM, doncoin said:

Well, if you are depending on someone or some organization to be successful, you are obviously not well taught. For those who have enjoyed success, they probably failed many more times before they came even close to where they are. So you are correct in saying 100% will not succeed if they are dependent on the others, government included. 

I think you missed the point. It is not about the reliance of someone or some organization over here. It is about someone or some organization with the power, making things difficult for others every step of the way when others are trying to be successful. 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:18 PM, Guest Guest said:

You seem to be so spoiled and desperate to find excuses.

If you find it difficult to succeed in Singapore,  how you find it to be in Afghanistan, in Haiti ?

On 10/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, Guest Pam Anderson said:

If we are teaching our children well, what are the odds that they will still not succeed?

Success is a very personal thing, not easy to define.  The education received as a child is only one, although important, factor in the chances for success.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, Guest Guest said:

I think you missed the point. It is not about the reliance of someone or some organization over here. It is about someone or some organization with the power, making things difficult for others every step of the way when others are trying to be successful. 

I see. Obstacles are expected and nothing is ever smooth sailing. I understand that it gets very frustrating and disheartening. However, all these difficulties are only going to make you more resilient. At some point, you have to decide for yourself what makes you happy.

Think of it this way. If you want to be a doctor, you need to study really hard to pass your exams etc. to get into medical school. However, if the medical school only accepts the top 10% of the cohort, and you happened to score 89, it does not mean you are a failure, or if the medical school is making things difficult for you. It just means that the top 10% happened to do better than you in their entrance exam. 

The medical school can be thought as the organization with power, since they determine the criteria of who gets in. Of course they have the choice  allow more students in, i.e. accept the top 25% instead. But this will may reduce the standards of the school and they end up producing doctors who may not be the most competent. 

You can blame the school for making the entrance exam difficult and saying that it is their fault for making you score only 89% and they should make an exception for you. Or you can tell yourself that yes, you did not make the cut off, but there are other options besides medical school. 

Compared to some other countries, the Singapore government is providing quite a bit of support to ensure the success of its citizens, Think about it. There are plenty of schools with highly qualified teachers to teach your kids. There are financial assistance for those who are struggling, and various schemes to help the disenfranchised, i.e. single parents, etc. The support system is there, how you use it or don't use it, is entirely up to you. 

Love. 

The odds are uneven.

Material success: hard. Kids may not choose money making professions.

Moral success: even harder. Even if they choose money making professions, they may make dubious decisions. A friend's kid who grew up in a loving home became a doctor and she never looked after/contact/visited her younger autistic sibling.

There's a fair amount of luck when it comes to "succeeding" in life. Also depends on your definition of success. Or more importantly, the kid's definition of success, which might not align with their parents'.

Life is just a series of dice rolls, from the time of your birth, your family and genetics, all the way to what your primary business is when Covid-19 hits, and it continues from there. There's always a chance of failure, both from factors you can and cannot control, so no amount of prep will guarantee success. IMO though, its important to teach a kid that no failure is final. 

Success has a wide definition. 

For this passage, I narrowed it down to starting a biz. Of course there are so much more than just starting a biz to succeed in life. 

The most important traits in starting a biz is "courage"; an appetite for risk.

One can be smart, hardworking, resourceful but without courage, it is not going to work. 

Courage is the one thing that we cannot teach. 

Even if you are an entrepreneur, it is still difficult to communicate the concept of "courage" to their children; what more if the parent is just a salaried worker. Nevertheless, Biz parents can lead by example. At the end of the day, it is the make of the child to decide if he/she wants to walk this path. 

One cannot teach something when he/she is not.

Edited by lohwpr

• 2 months later...

真金不怕烘炉火 (real gold won't scare of fire). Working hard will sustain yourself, working smart will help you to leap, working smart and continuous upgrading yourself will help you to soar.

Do not bark up the wrong tree. CEO of a foreign companies will come from that national. You want to be CEO, go for local company.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.