Male HQ

Which is better, WhatsApp or WeChat?

Guest Guest

Whatsapp for work (only)

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

I used to only use WeChat until I moved back to Singapore and now I have to use both. WeChat for my Chinese/HK friends, while Whatsapp is family and local friends. However, there is also a social element to my WeChat usage while Whatsapp is purely messaging.

WeChat is definitely better than Whatsapp if you use it in China where all of its features can be fully utilized. It's nearly all you'll need everyday in a single app.

I use Whatsapp with family and normal friends, WeChat with Chinese friends, Line with gay friends (How come nobody mention Line?)

If you want to chat anonymously, I would recommend Line or WeChat, which allow you to add people by Line or WeChat ID without exposing your phone number. Whatsapp requires phone number to add contacts so your phone number will be exposed.

If you want to migrate your chat history from one phone to another (e.g. when you change phone), WeChat is the easiest. You backup your chats to the WeChat server in your old phone. Then you login WeChat in your new phone and retrieve the chat backups, and voila.... For Whatsapp, you need to backup your chats to a SD card or external memory drive, then physically transfer to your new phone. Line is the worst. You need to backup your individual chats one by one and physically copy the chat logs to your new phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the most is the What's Apps. Also convenient to use as well even for work and family - friends use. Rarely use Wechat. Not even secondary use.

Every-time the moon shines, i become alive.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.