Male HQ

Favorite Books, Good Reads & Recommendations (Compiled)

Guest seeker

7 hours ago, Sh3rlock said:

Omgosh! Glad to hear someone else into John Le Carrè! Got hooked by The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and was completely sold after Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Just love the way he allows and even demands the reader to become the spy. ;)

Like your description: “allows reader to become spy”! You feel that you are involved and yet seeing things “from above” at the same time in his books. I like Spy from Cold, it’s concise, poignant. Do try A Murder of Quality, it’s not a spy novel but still intriguing. If you like Tinker, you can complete his Karla quatrology and find out what happens to Smiley and Guillem. :B)

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

I am a huge fan of fantasy (ermmm referring to book genre).  Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule is really great, though like most long series, it starts to drag a little in the middle.

I am starting on his second series on Nicci , a spin-off character from Sword of Truth series.  However heard his latest books tend to lean on the sadist side (lotsa rape and violence etc). 

I happened to pick up The Omen Machine earlier this year, and the story (with recap of TV moments from years ago) kept it interesting. Sadist is because of Mord Sith? Thot there'd always been currents of erotic depravity underneath the storyline e.g. isn't the idea of a sexy Mother Confessor already quite provocative? ...There's not a lot of fantasy in NLB to keep my reading going, sadly e.g. I've practically finished all of Anne McCaffrey's available in library, and it's not really a lot...

Where do you get you fantasy books e.g. Nicci series?

If you love fantasy and epic endings, check out 'Priestess of the White' by Trudi Canavan. That's book 1 of 4 books.

'The Traveller' by John Twelve Hawks is more 'relatable' since its set on current period in a New York with a hint of magic. (:

28 minutes ago, mith said:

let's not forget the classics...

fantasy - JRR tolkien

sci fi - wyndham, HG Well

horror - HP Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe

mystery/murder - Agatha Christine, Arthur Conan Doyle

i keep coming back to them! 

Tell tale heart & Day of the triffids - still memorable to this day.

And lets not forget Matheson - he wrote I Am Legend.

The book ending was poignant and bittersweet- unlike the hollywood movie.

It really captured the reason why the book is titled as such.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, mith said:

let's not forget the classics...

fantasy - JRR tolkien

sci fi - wyndham, HG Well

horror - HP Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe

mystery/murder - Agatha Christine, Arthur Conan Doyle

i keep coming back to them! 

Love Agatha Christie, such as Mystery of the Blue Train and Evil Under the Sun and many others! Conan Doyle’s collected short stories too. Couldn’t get through Tolkien though but at least I tried! :P

34 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Tell tale heart & Day of the triffids - still memorable to this day.

And lets not forget Matheson - he wrote I Am Legend.

The book ending was poignant and bittersweet- unlike the hollywood movie.

It really captured the reason why the book is titled as such.

Enjoyed Poe’s Tell Tale Heart, Rue Morgue and The Raven. Agree Triffids is good too. Never tried Lovecraft or Matheson but watched their movie dramatisations.

trick to tackle tolkien : for those who finds tolkien's tough.

dont think anyone can do a tolkien in one read,

1. first off, skim through from beginning to end - grab the story.

2. then, go into specific/important sections or chapters - for the details

3. all the while, can skip the poems, and the songs...

4. then read from the beginning to the end again, this time slowly appreciating it all {including the poems & songs}!

it should be so much easier and enjoyable by now!

note that from step 1 to step 4, it could be at interval of months or even years, whenever your interest comes back.

5. subsequently, repeat step 4. u might  learn new things or missed details previousl

i am still reading tolkien LOTR for the Nth time today, still very much interested by its vast content.

Edited by mith

Found this online and I was so intrigued to read more, went online to find where this text

was from and its by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, 'Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club' 

Bought a copy and I can't wait for it to arrive in the mail 

32233003_169285643737484_2868286504386428928_n.jpg

On 8/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, randomperson said:

Next book might be a little life by Hanya Yanagihara. I like paper books, the touch n the smile. English books mostly from bookdepository n chinese books from Kinokuniya/taobao/eslite. 

Really enjoyed A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. For me it was like an avalanche of sorrow and I felt a sense of empathy during the reading of this novel. Read this book when I was in train and people would come up to me and say "tragic isn't it?"

26 minutes ago, hey_jen said:

Found this online and I was so intrigued to read more, went online to find where this text

was from and its by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, 'Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club' 

Oh Wow! Sounds awesome! Looking forward to your review.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 11:25 PM, hey_jen said:

Hey, did you manage to finish the book? Would love to hear your thoughts on it :)

Guest lastdraw

i'm reading The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared now and i'm liking it so far! 

though it's a little old and cover too kiddy for some people.

i like the author's (or maybe the translator's) writing style and it's been a very enjoyable read so far, following the adventures of the old man as he escapes and explores life. 

would love to hear more recommendations which i would defo check out after im done w this one! 

Edited by lastdraw

20 hours ago, Butterscotch said:

Hey, did you manage to finish the book? Would love to hear your thoughts on it :)

I really enjoyed it! Recommended the book to my friends and they themselves enjoyed it too. Seven short stories set in Juarez, Mexico with the Kentucky Club a little bar. It was very entertaining, can get quite melancholic and each story was quite powerful. This novel explores profound topics such as hate crimes, racism, homophobia, addiction, suicide and mental illness. The pictured I shared that was the first story in the book and I cried at the end after reading it. 

• 1 month later...

While i dont wish to spark hatred, 

even linkedin is all about her

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6509666863520276480

some of u actually read her book?

It must have sparked joy

as a jp frequenter, i dont and i trust jp dont

And i have jp frens too 

As the reported pointed out it is impossible nt to read her news

I wish someone could write a book on GOT! (Maybe w diff conclusion from the tv series?)

really have to go deep to read the reviews...

Edited by lovehandle

• 2 years later...
Guest Starry Night

Suggest you download the NLB Mobile app that will allow you to borrow up to 16 e-books. No need to make a trip to borrow or return books. You should also download the Libby app to read the e-books in greater comfort. 

Why don’t you list some of the books you like so that we can make more accurate recommendations?

Guest "Book" hunter

I prefer to read man body.  But first, the man must let me flip open hos cover and then allow me to start from chapter to chapter randomly, usually from the middle chapter first.  While reading the book, I prefer no disturbance, soft music is acceptable and focus is key.

• G_M changed the title to Favorite books
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Yeeeaaahhhh

Saw kinokuniya stocked up massive amount of Tolkien's books mostly in hardcopy.  Very expensive.  Luckily I managed to get one or two from carosell for a fraction of the price.

• 9 months later...

i just finished QUIET TIME by JOHANN S LEE. it was a repeat read after many years.

still poignant today. still very relatable. 

one interesting note : the book was written in 2007, and the repeal of penal code 377A was one of the plot anecdote. it was unsuccessful of course (both in fiction and reality). however in the prologue, which brings the story to 2018, LEE optimistically wrote that 377A was abolished. sadly, this fact remains as fiction.

well, reading the book now in 2022, i feel singapore is still very backward in that respect.

a fast read. a good read. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.