Male HQ

Authentic Steak

heh heh heh....

yeah I know the word is almost taboo around here...

but... is there such a thing as an Authentic Steak?

a slab of beef charbroiled to whatever level of cookedness you want... is steak...

the sauce is not steak... it's just sauce and variations are left to individual creative streaks.

so... steak, can it not be authentic?

ARGH.... u used the 'A' word...

hahahaha

if looking for just steak without any sauce or flavoring, then the quality of the steak is very important.

let's word pick a little, by definition

Definitions of steak on the Web:

a slice of meat cut from the fleshy part of an animal or large fish

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A steak (from the Swedish word for fry - stek) is a slice from a larger piece of meat, typically beef. Red meat and fish are often cut into steaks. Most steaks are cut perpendicular to the muscle fibres, improving the perceived tenderness of the meat. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak

so I dont really think we can use authentic on steak, as steak is define as the way of cutting the meat, instead of the cooking style

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

anyway, OED defines "steak" as:

1. high quality beef taken from the hindquarters of the animal, typically cut into thick slices that are cooked at speed by grilling or frying;

2. a thick slice of such beef or other high-quality meat or fish

3. poorer quality beef that is cubed or minced and cooked more slowly by braising or stewing (eg steak and kidney pie).

as what ob has said, "steak" does not refer to any cooking style. ergo, steak cannot be "authentic".

---

now, if you had talked about steak tartare / au poivre / Diane and such, there may be a stronger case to use the "A" word. lol.

i take back my words; there is actually a case to be made for the term "authentic steak", though it is not quite what the common person will interpret of the term. "Authentic steak" refers to anything that is any of the three definitions above, since "authentic" means "of undisputed origin, geniune".

In fact, i think the term "authentic steak" is less grey than "authentic chinese", "authentic japanese", since beef IS beef (and so on)! For example, you may say that "vegetarian steaks made from gluten" are not "authentic steaks".

LOL!!!

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.