Male HQ

Nasi Bryani... More Specifically - Zam Zam!

This coffee-shop is over a hundred years old leow... the one next to it is 90something... both sell same genre of food...

where is it? It's along North Bridge Road, at the corner of NBRoad/Arab Street junction opposite the Sultan Mosque...

but... call me anything you like... i still go Zam Zam... despite very aggressive touting when you walk past the neighbour coffeeshop on your way to ZamZam...

Upstairs is air conditioned... so the atmosphere is better, even if very crowded... the tables are arranged almost comunally, one long table after another with a smaller table after the narrow walkway to deliver food to you, and for you to get in...

The Teh Tarik is ... to me... extremely good... thick and sufficiently sweet, not too much milk to overpower the tea taste. very good...

The nasi bryani... this dish you must try here... I won't use the word "authentic" but I will say this is the BENCHMARK to rate all other nasi bryani... just remember to take a closer look at the rice... it's long grained rice from a specific part of India... yes, special import... not your NTUC rice... very very different .... they been using this grain for the past 100 years for their bryani, and formula had not changed, so they claimed ... still not 'authentic' - but a true benchmark... (I'd say authentic Zam Zam...)

Of course, they have Chicken, Mutton, Fish, and vegetarian bryani... I tried them all... and frankly, I cannot decide which is better... depending on your mood, any of the variations is totally satisfying.

They have a lot of other dishes here too... another die-die must try... Roti-Murtabak... got chicken, got mutton, got fish even... but personally, i only go for the mutton. chicken if others share and prefer, but not the fish...(not that I tried it, but i just cannot think of eating a fish murtabak... haha)

and of course, the tissue prata, and all kinds of others including toseh and other standard Indian dish...

NOT for the weak stomached... but definitely for those who like a gastronomical experience in a restaurant that boasts a 100 year history.

haha... even better if you eat it the 'traditional way' wif your fingers off your right hand... do trim your nails first please, and brush off those black things off from under your nails...

of course... there are other great bryani outlets... comparable, but not quite... e.g. Northpoint Basement food court... but that is for another post...

Edited by Baloo

Guest eater

Good, long review but..... where is Zam Zam? I would like to visit it. Pls continue recommenting, Baloo-sutra, but do include the most important part of review- where to find it. :D

heh... it's along North Bridge Road at the junction to Arab Street opposite the Sultan Mosque.

parking there can be a challenge... but the food... must try once at least ...

Just pop yr vehicle into Golden Landmark around the corner. Car park entrance is along Arab street. Lookup postal code 188061 at http://www.map.gov.sg/StreetMap/ for map :B)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.