Male HQ

Intermittent fasting

lohwpr

I started Intermittent fasting for 5 weeks. 

On average, I fast 18 hours daily and eat on the rest of the 6 hours. 

Intake of food, even the healthy ones, will trigger the release of insulin in the body. 

The science behind fasting is to bring insulin level to the lowest possible and when body doesn't detect insulin, it will start burning fats. 

While my initial objective is to lose weight, I learn my body has gotten more than just losing weight.  To list a few, 

Lowers risk for disease

Protects neurons and promotes autophagy

Improves memory

Eases depression

Promotes longevity

Lowers cholesterol

Slows down cancer

Keeps cells resilient

During the fasting stage, I cannot eat any food that can trigger a release of insulin; this includes healthy food like Green Apple and nuts...Yes......Even healthy food can trigger insulin and you will effectively break fast. 

So, No food means no food. 

During the fasting stage, I can drink water, black coffee without sugar and milk, lime or lemon juice w/0 sugar. All these drinks do not trigger insulin. 

ONE CAN ONLY BURN FATS WHEN INSULIN LEVEL IS AT BASELINE. 

Oddly, during the fasting stage, I am very alert and energize and more importantly, I can still live a life ( eat the things that I want ). I dont' count calories. 

On top of fasting, I do hot yoga ( Bikram Yoga ) to keep my body healthy. 

Given the fact that I am in my 50s when my daily burn rate is excruciatingly low, with intermittent fasting

I lost 6kg in 5 weeks and I felt so much better. 

I am looking forward to going shopping for new clothing. 

Edited by lohwpr

9 minutes ago, lohwpr said:

Intake of food, even the healthy ones, will trigger the release of insulin in the body. 

The science behind fasting is to bring insulin level to the lowest possible and when body doesn't detect insulin, it will start burning fats. 

While my initial objective is to lose weight, I learn my body has gotten more than just losing weight.  To list a few, 

Lowers risk for disease

Improves memory

Eases depression

Promotes longevity

Lowers cholesterol

Slows down cancer

Keeps cells resilient

During the fasting stage, I cannot eat any food that can trigger a release of insulin; this includes healthy food like Green Apple and nuts...Yes......Even healthy food can trigger insulin and you will effectively break fast. 

During the fasting stage, I can drink water, black coffee without sugar and milk, lime or lemon juice w/0 sugar. All these drinks do not trigger insulin. 

Oddly, during the fasting stage, I am very alert and energize and more importantly, I can still live a life ( eat the things that I want ). I dont' count calories. 

Given the fact that I am in my 50s when my daily burn rate is excruciatingly low, with intermittent fasting

Well explained! Maybe moderator can plant it under health and fitness under intermittent fasting topic? 

Guest Intermittent
24 minutes ago, lohwpr said:

Lowers risk for disease

Improves memory

Eases depression

Promotes longevity

Lowers cholesterol

Slows down cancer

Keeps cells resilient

I have done that too. For a week I think. I lost 2+ kg. Other than weight loss, I do not notice any memory improvement or aware of my mood. I work fast like usual n get very hungry very noticeable towards the last 2 weeks. But how do you check or notice with the rest of the benefits?

Guest Intermittent
Just now, Guest Intermittent said:

I have done that too. For a week I think. I lost 2+ kg. Other than weight loss, I do not notice any memory improvement or aware of my mood. I work fast like usual n get very hungry very noticeable towards the last 2 weeks. But how do you check or notice with the rest of the benefits?

Typo: For 4 weeks 

48 minutes ago, Guest Intermittent said:

I am on 2 kinds of pills daily for the pass 10 years

1) Allopurinol (600mg) for my GOUT

2) Exforge (5mg/80mg) for my hypertension

I stopped taking Allopurinol 2 weeks ago and see if my GOUT attack return. It didn't

As far as Exforge is concerned, I will wait for my next medical checkup and allow my doctor to decide. I am looking forward to a better health report. 

Other than feeling more alert and energized, I have irritable bowel syndrome since young; basically, I need to go toilet after eating a meal. I am not sure if it is due to Yoga or fasting, the situation improves a lot. I can hold it better if u know what I mean. 

Type 2 Diabetes happens when we keep eating and when there is the constant presence of food in our stomach, our poor pancreas has to continuously work to produce more insulin to balance the sugar level. Once our pancreas overwork to a point when it starts to break down, it will slowly stop producing insulin for the body. That is why for those extreme type 2 diabetic patients when their pancreas stop working altogether, they have to daily inject insulin into their body to balance the sugar in their body. 

Here is the important news, YOUR PANCREAS REST WHEN YOU ARE FASTING. You will be able to keep a healthy pancreas as long as you can. 

Edited by lohwpr

I don't think newbies should start with such drastic measures, just alternate days first as if you straight away fast your body might not take it and will go berserk due to the hunger (eating even more than the usual meals).

You also need to watch what you and exercise (lift) to not loose weight too drastically. Consequences are loose skin if you are really fat and it looks hella fugly. Putting on muscles should be one of the factors for loosing weight.

Intermittent fasting is how bodybuilders make their muscles bulged out and look more well defined. They call it "cutting", which is to eat only at a certain period at calorie deficit then fast to burn any remaining fats. Protein intake remains the same though, just reduced fats/carbs.

16-8 is the bare minimum for intermittent fasting to work. 

Within the 16 hours fasting stage, the first 12 hours is to digest the previous meal, the fat burning starts thereafter. That means only 4 hours of fat burning. 

If we want to shorten the digestive stage (1st 12 hours ) to allow a longer fat burning period, there are 2 things we can do

1) eat healthier in our previous meal
2) exercise during fasting stage. 

Many ask me why 18-6 ( 18 hrs fasting/ 6 hours eating )? 

Now, this is another important news. The effectiveness of every extra hour beyond the 16th hours fat burning stage will become exponential more effective. 

I practice 20-4 if my work allows. 

Edited by lohwpr

• G_M changed the title to Intermittent fasting
  • 1 month later...

To date, I lost 10kg in 2.5 months....

Now, I am no longer interested in weight loss. I am into building muscle. I want to increase my weight thru exchanging Fats for muscle. This process requires a lot more. 

I have several friends who follow my IF regime, they have already lost 2-3kg in 1-1.5 months. Some of them have started exercising along with IF.

JIA YOU...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 1:58 AM, kennethchung said:

what's the frequency to fast and eat?

It comes down to what works for your schedule. For convenience, I typically eat only between 12 - 6pm. Sometimes 7. After that, it is only liquids. 

Everyone is different. Find something that works with your lifestyle. 

After almost 7 months of doing intermittent fasting, I can get by with one meal a day- but I made sure it is a good meal. :) 

Love. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, tyan said:

Does has to be daily? Can I choose Intermittent fasting for twice a week?

The goal is to make it a lifestyle. You can start with twice a week and work up to a full week. I will take a break occasionally and have breakfast around 8am when I am at a breakfast meeting. Otherwise, my first meal is typically around noon. It also helps to prep your meals ahead versus deciding what to eat when the time is near. 

To see significant results, for me, it really worked when I go into full week of intermittent fasting. 

Love. 

The aim of any diet is to manage weight gain/loss or achieve certain health benefits. Intermittent fasting (IF) is a regimen that further help these diets meant for weight loss but IF doesn't mean you will lose weight. The ultimate factor is calorie deficiency. If you eat a surplus of calorie, you will gain weight no matter what diet you are on; vice versa. 

IF is a strict regimen that follows at least a 16 hour fast, in order for its effects to be significant. This regimen is great for anyone who are impulsive/compulsive eaters by limiting cravings and giving motivation/satisfaction. It is a highly versatile and an easy regimen to follow, and I believe that part of its success (don't quote me on this) is due to the elimination of breakfast and supper; both which contain the most empty calories. Hence these reasons made IF popular and successful. 

The main reason that you should do IF is because of fasted cardio. Fasted cardio reduces glycogen levels and helps burn down fats. However, if you want to make burn fats  effectively, you need to have calorie deficiency. When we lose weight, there's always a ratio of fat vs lean mass loss. Fasted cardio + diet + other factors helps to increase the ratio of fat loss vs lean mass loss. So if there is calorie surplus or baseline, there will be no weight lost and hence the fat loss can be unnoticeable. 

TLDR; 

IF helps compulsive/impulsive eaters; Calorie deficiency is king in weight loss; main advantage of IF is to burn more fats when losing weight.

6 hours ago, fitring said:

i did IF for 4 months last year. 

As I am ectomorph myself, I am aware of the drastic changes to my body. As I am yoga instructor myself, I do a quite amount of body weight exericse while teaching, hence burning a lot of calories. 

I ate 2 meals a day in between 12pm to 8 pm. 

My abs was shown very obvious. I was so lean and toned. But not muscular kind of lean toned. 

Here comes the issue when I was doing IF:

1. my hair starting to become thin. 

2. During sleeping time, my subconscious mind was wide awake  when my eyes were closed. I got awaken very easily with little bit of noise. 

3. I got way too skinny. In pictures I looked good without shirt on, in real life people asked if I was okay with my health issue since I was very lean. 

I stopped it last December and continued my normal eating regime. 

Most likely its because of the calories in is way lesser than calories out. Hence, my weight was losing. 

That's my experience in IF. wish to do it again but I don't want to get too skinny again. It looks very unhealthy on me tbh. 

These issues are not caused by IF. IF is a regimen that has some effect on the hormones, metabolism, and regulation of the body but from your issues, I believe is largely due to malnutrition and calorie deficiency. 

There can be multiple causes: lack of sun exposure; lack of food variety and essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids; insufficient protein/fats; and lack of sleep. Amino acids and proper diet can help to eliminate thinning of hair, and improve sleep.

Despite losing 12 kg, the machine shows 30kg fats on my body and 34kg muscle mass. 

I want to lose 10kg of fats and gain 5 kg of muscle. 

As such, I gym 5 days weekly to build muscle and do Bikram Yoga for my Cardio. 

It is a tricky business for me. I am 51 years old. My metabolism is low. I need to eat more protein to gain muscle and I need to eat less to have a calories deficit to lose fats. Both objectives are contradictory. 

On average I do 18 hours fasting daily to burn fats but when I enter my eating period, I have to eat for the muscle building. 

My objectives will probably take 1 year to achieve. 

• 5 months later...

I did dry fasting (all the way) for years.

一个星期至少2次
每次差不多15小时左右。15小时之内是断食不喝。
一个月内至少一次是24小时
一个月3次连续dry fast.
1个月差不多10-11次 dry fast in total.

我所说的征兆,我都没有。您的方法可能做错了。

On 7/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, fitring said:

Here comes the issue when I was doing IF:

1. my hair starting to become thin. 

2. During sleeping time, my subconscious mind was wide awake  when my eyes were closed. I got awaken very easily with little bit of noise. 

3. I got way too skinny. In pictures I looked good without shirt on, in real life people asked if I was okay with my health issue since I was very lean. 

方法做对的话,会有这些良好反应:

1. 起色会越来越好看
2. 越来越阳光
3. 容颜不老/返老还童 呵呵... 超慢性衰老 
4. 伤风、流鼻涕、咳嗽、发烧完全没有
5. 体重保持 身体苗条
6. 每天早上是一柱升天 硬度有持久力!可钓一瓶1公升水

还有很多!

老师学法的。师父在世的时候教我。Fasting类似辟谷(老师选择不吃也不喝)

• 1 month later...

I've been practising it for over 2 years. Started with the prescribed 16, but found that I became too thin thereafter, not to mention I don't have enough time to eat enough calories and protein during the very short 8 hours, since I exercise daily too.

It's far more manageable when I do 12-hour daily fasts. Perhaps I'll up the fasting hours when I'm muscular enough. 

• 2 months later...

I’m doing 5pm to 9am fasting. I don’t feel hungry before bedtime (had noodle soup for dinner). So far feeling pretty good . Will share the result (if any) in a week

Edited by simpleguy
Typo

After a week of intermittent fasting, I lost 2kg. Not sure if it is just water. I have reduced my eating window from 6hr to 4hr. So far I don’t feel extreme hunger. I workout 2 hr after my meal, 2-3 times a week.

Will share the progress next week ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.