Male HQ

Bicycles

Ferrari

I see more and more bicyclist taking the ways of pedestrians and that includes the lift to my highrise flat. The influx of foreign workers has also brought with it the the way of travelling from China and India.......On few occasions I was almost knocked down by bicyclists who never give way on pedestrian lanes. Everytime I have to give way to these foreign workers who bring their bicycles into the lifts up to their dwellings and down to the ground floor.

I wonder what the govt is going to do to cater to this increasing group of transport users who are now threatening the safety of walkers like me? :angry:

Edited by Ferrari

I bite if you are cocky, sarcastic, foolish or ask for it

I know how you feel bout getting knocked down by a bicycle. A friend of mine got knocked down, whereby the bicycle handle hit his hands, causing a hairline fracture.

Though it may be true that most users are foreigners, locals do the same too. And they can be as bad (or worst) as them.

If i'm not wrong, wasnt it recently discussed in the papers about making a cyclist lane or something?

Browncow,

The incidence of locals using bicycles is very low....and the recent big increase is due to foreigners. Dont get me wrong that I am against them. I empathize with them because it is a cheaper form of transport....but it has cause social problem now....

Some of these bicyclist dont even practise road traffic safety by horning or turning on their lights

Edited by Ferrari

I bite if you are cocky, sarcastic, foolish or ask for it

Andy,

If you have been to China, you will notice there is a special lane for bicyclists......Is our govt going to change the structure of roads? No way

Tokyo (not everywhere, but) also have special lanes for cyclist, not on the road mainly. But, at the traffic lights crossings. Hardly anyone uses the specialized lanes though :unsure:

Nevertheless, there are areas whereby no cycling is allowed, e.g. within 10-15meters of shopping center, etc.. (No cycling signs here and there, plus enforcement by security guards)

well, if the concerns are real (in this case, its real), the voices for these concerns should at least reach the gov (or rather the appropriate channels). This is not a problem they cant solve.

After i posted, i saw ur replies..

i agree that basic road safety should be enforced.. the police in jap would stop me if my lights arent on at night

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Guest -senior-
If you have been to China, you will notice there is a special lane for bicyclists......Is our govt going to change the structure of roads? No way

Actually Singapore do have bicycle lanes, but that was long long ago in the 50s and 60s.

You have the road level, curb, bicycle lane (same level as road), then raised foot path.

That time hardly any foreign workers and so few cyclist that the govt decided to do away with bicycle path.

Think they should relook at it, or they are waiting for something serious to happen before any action, just the seat belts.

I think cycling is quite fun. Maybe some guys here can organise a night cycling? I did that when I was at NTU. It was a wonderful experience.

when government in sgp makes bicycle lanes on our roads, bicycles will have to have COE, ERP card reader, and road tax and insurance as well as season parking... and cyclists will have to pass highway code, and have a class 1.5 riding license...

:whistle:

Edited by Baloo

Guest Guest

Just came back from Kyoto and realised many ppl there do use bicycle as transport. The japanese are really considerate well mannered ppl. The pedestrians and cyclists give way to each other and NEVER DID I HEAR anyone using ring on their bicycles to ask ppl to give way......the most the cyclists do is to stop and ask for permission to pass through if the pavement is narrow.

Guest Guest

unlike the s'porean and china-people here, think that their grandfather road, keep ringing to make you move aside.... i would not even bother to give way to them if they are like that

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mike

actually there is no issue of having pedestrains and cyclist on the same pavement.

if ppl always keep to the left and keep the right side free for the opposite side people or for people behind to overtake or even cyclist to overtake, there won't be so much problems at all.

this is what i obeserved every morning below my flat.

some of these problems are caused by people who dun know how to walk. imagine a narrow pavement but 2 persons walking side by side. dun say bicycle, other people also have problem using the same pavement. the same problem happens in the use of esclator. i just dun understand y must ppl stanf on the right hand side and blocked ppl from overtaking when they should be standing on the left hand side !!!!!

Guest guest

i totally agree with guests.pedestrain think they r king of the pedestrain walk. wonder will those complaint allow their own parents or kids to ride on the major road? Bet they r selfish.

I see more and more bicyclist taking the ways of pedestrians and that includes the lift to my highrise flat. The influx of foreign workers has also brought with it the the way of travelling from China and India.......On few occasions I was almost knocked down by bicyclists who never give way on pedestrian lanes. Everytime I have to give way to these foreign workers who bring their bicycles into the lifts up to their dwellings and down to the ground floor.

I wonder what the govt is going to do to cater to this increasing group of transport users who are now threatening the safety of walkers like me? :angry:

Hi Ferrari,

Do you think it would be good to reflect your observations to LTA or the media (Press or News TV)? You might find that there are many people with similar experience. If so, it becomes a concern. To start with, if the media can do a report, then it raises the awareness of pedestrians and cyclists (both parties should be careful). If there have been accident reports, LTA might impose some guidelines or rules? Your act could potentially help a lot of people. My personal encounter was cyclist passing by the bus stop (facing the traffic direction) at high speed. It was dangerous because commuters were standing around and looking in front for their buses. They were unable to see cyclists coming from behind. Imagine if they move (very likely) and they step right into the cyclist's path. Scary.

Guest -short time-

Cycling on the pavement is against the law, yet it was permitted in tampines on a trial basis; and now they are talking about extending the illegal act.

The pavements in spore are just not wide enough to accomodate pedestrians and cyclists. they keep talking about the "success" of the trial and claim that the pavements are wide enough; they must mean just some of the pavements (i know of only one that is along tampines ave 4). Even then with this wider pavement, cyclists go crazy and start weaving around narrowly missing pedestrians; motor bikes too have taken advantage of the slightly wider space and use it as a short cut. it is definitely too dangerous! Must we let a serious accident, where someone gets killed, wake us up... again!

• 4 years later...

on Folding bikes...saw an ad in the classifieds about the RANGER bike....shows army guy carrying bike onto vehicle etc

Claiming its lightweight tough foldable etc...with a price tag of $630 n $730 2options available

NPark could have got some though hehehe

Anyone seem it of bot it...plse give some feedback....I am mulling over it. Wait for the next offer period

As for cyclist pedestrians n motorist....everyone exercise common sense courtesy goodwill....unfortunately too many self centred people in this world

Things get worse with overcrowding and worse still the mixture of cultures in that crowd.

Guest hard rod

any bottom tried riding a bicycle without the seat cushion?? wow... imagine the hard stiff rod up the ass? wow....

• Guest locked this topic