Male HQ

A Very Simple Home Cooked Meal

no... not kon low meen...

in the rice cooker, cook your normal rice...

ready some lup cheong... the real one la.. not our good friend...

wash and cut up the lup cheong...

slice a few pieces of garlic

as the rice cooker clicks to the 'keep warm' mode, pour the lup cheong and garlic into the rice pot and mix with the rice...

adding oil is optional as the lup cheong already has oil...

re-activate the cooking mode of the rice cooker and let it run its course... when it clicks to 'keep warm' mode again, your dinner is ready...

you can slice some cucumbers for your greens... or fresh garden lettuce (eat raw la...)

simple, no frills, and dun have to monitor as the cooker is automatic.

you can measure in some kikkoman reduced salt soy sauce to the rice in your bowl/plate if you like it more tasty... or shake/grind in some black pepper...

quite a yummy meal

haha this has nothing to do with 'healthy' meal hor... just 'simple' only... you want healthy, you can add in fresh lean pork, but you have to marinate it first with soy sauce and sesame oil, and the cooking is way different... got to put it in while rice is still boiling... after cooking rice cannot add in the pork leow... it won't be cooked 'enough'

a lot more 'troublesome'

Question: is this step essential??

not sure... usually i allow the rice to be fully cooked, yet still at its 'hottest' to put in the stuff to let the steam and heat warm up the lup cheong and garlic... you can put in before it clicks off, or if you like, separately heat up the lup cheong in a steamer...

there isn't a 'must do' step in cooking... hahaha... it's all your personal interpretation... especially when you gonna eat it yourself... just make sure you dun eat uncooked food or food that makes you have a stomach upset...

you can do whatever you like :)

you eating it...

haha..

like i said, cooking is really a personal expression, and personal experience... you can experiment and come up with your own version.

i do not have a patent on this 'formula' and it's not a chemistry prescription formula...

open to interpretation please.....

go ahead, play with your food!!!

Well...i tried this before, but my version is to add in the ingredients when the rice is half cooked so that the rice and ingredients will blend more evenly.

Add in some black soya sauce and sesame oil and it taste almost like those claypot rice.

here's OB version, mine is more 'lay che' (troublesome)

heat wok, pour oil, add chopped garlic, fry for a while then add other ingredient, here you can have anything you want, like lupcheong, fish cake, chicken, yam, sweet potato or whatsoever.

Add un-cook rice to the wok, stir fry, add salt and pepper for seasoning. You can add spices as well for the extra omph.

Transfer mixture into rice cooker, add water and mix well. Based on experienced, the amount of water added should be slightly lesser than the usual amount of cooking white rice for a harder texture.

Cook the rice and you will have a nice pot of salted rice.

Add in deep fried onions for garnishing.

Greens are not really recomended as the cooking process will over cooked the greens. if you really need the fibre, try green peas, corn or carrot.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Thought I break my silence to contribute to this very good topic. Food in Shanghai has been miserable. The local food is cheap but full of chilli oil and vinegar. Got homesick the other day and ended up paying for local food. It was appalling. The satay chicken tasted like KFC and the beef rendang was fatty meat cooked in coconut facemask. And the bill came up to $40 with 2 cans of beer.

I just remember this old recipe of making chicken rice in a rice cooker. Will give it a try this weekend:

What you need:

* 2 cups of washed rice

* Half a chicken or 2 chicken legs (I prefer breasts) chopped into small pieces. Leave the skin on.

* 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce

* 1 and a half teaspoon of light soy sauce

* half teaspoon of sesame oil

* 1 tablespoon of Chinese Rice Wine /Shaoxing Jiu (optional)

* Pepper

* 2-3 Shallots/ginger sliced

How to:

1. Marinade the chicken pieces with the oyster sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine and pepper for at least an hour. I like to leave the chicken skin on and throw the whole thing in the fridge overnight to add flavour to the rice.

2. In the meantime, slice the shallots and fry till fragrant. Remove and reserve with a little oil.

3. Wash the rice and measure out the water. Use half a mark less water than you normally would to cook rice because the chicken will produce liquid as it cooks.

4. Put the rice to cook in the rice cooker with the ginger slices, the fried shallots and sesame seed oil. Once the water in the rice cooker starts to boil and the rice starts to cook, add the marinated chicken and the remaining marinade into the rice pot.

5. Cover and leave it to cook until done. When done, let it dry out in the pot before serving

6. Cucumber slices/achar garnish optional. Serve with stir fried kailan or bean sprouts with oyster sauce.

Excellent for lazy Sat afternoons in Shanghai with a glass of chilled Semillion or Riesling.

Edited by TopChinese

Thanks very much TC for your contribution to this thread.

I am honoured you chose to break your silence at the Imperial Kitchen...

Looks like there's no end to personal variations to the rice-cooker 'one pot' meal...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.