Male HQ

Frying My Own Steak

OK the title sounds... funny..,

was at the wet market and looked at the stall selling beef... they selling striploin at $15 per kg...

tempted, i ordered a cut of one inch thick striploin... whoa... nice.... 300 grams!!! $4.50... you try asking for 300g steak outside... botak jones will charge you $30 for it...

went to also get some potatoes (nicely packed, sized a little smaller than a tennis ball each) $1.00 and 3 good sized carrots $1.00 also...

Home... marinated the steak with a pinch of salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of VSOP... ans a dash of olive oil

Skinned and diced/sliced 1 carrot and 3 potatos and put into a pot of boiling water wif a small teaspoon of salt... boil 15 minutes or till soft to your liking...

heat a flat frying pan with some olive oil in medium fire... high if in a hurry and slow to medium when hot... get ready your frying pan cover...

medium fire pls...

place the steak in the frying pan and cover it quick...

turn over the steak in 2 minutes... meantime shud prepare the potatoes/carrots and arrange nicely on your plate... in two heaps hahahaha...

you can garnish your potatoes and carrots with some salad dressing, or just plain butter oso nice... slice in some cucumber if you want simple greens, or pluck off fresh lettuce and slice them up to bite sized cuts...

remove steak from pan after turning and in 2 minutes... dun forget... best to have a stop watch or countdown timer to remind you...

just before you remove the steak, you can drop in 2 tablespoons of vsop into the frying pan... this will cause a lot of sizzle... and if you dare, move your lip of the pan to the fire and FLAMBE the steak... this act removes the alcohol and leaves the vsop in its base form... aged grape... it gives the steak a unique aroma and enhances the taste...

move it onto your plate, and if you like the sauce in the pan, can pour over the steak...

walla... 300g striploin steak, medium done, with salad side... you can use french/english mustard and HP sauce as condiments to the steak... all ready within 30 minutes preparation and cooking time... and for less than $10.00

you can open a bottle of wine, or just have grape juice/ribena to go with your steak... beer oso can... and have a home cooked nice, fresh, steak dinner... on a less than $10 budget (sans the drink la... water is almost free hahaha...)

can try...

Those going Cold storage will see HUGE slabs of beef in choicer cuts... those will cost more than $15 per kg... or $1.50 per 100g...

enjoy!!

2 mins each side on a medium fire is a bit short unless you like your steak very rare and bloody. I usually go for 3 mins myself even on a hot flame for medium but slice a bit inside to make sure insides are still ok. Remember, the meat also needs to rest on the plate to continue cooking. Don't serve the steak fresh off the grill.

For a even more flavoursome method.. skip the olive oil in the pan and turn up the heat. The very hot temperature will vapourise the oil anyway and make a big mess. Just place the steak dry on the pan to pan-grill. There should be enough oil/jus in the meat to keep it moist. If done right, the outside will be nicely charred and still juicy inside. Take out the meat.. add some red wine to the bits left on the pan, scrape a couple of times and boil to reduce to make your own red wine gravy!

Boiled carrots/potatoes are so western food stall. To jazz things up, how about a green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil? Or diced potatoes with a dash of olive oil and some herbs roasted in the oven for 15 mins?

three minutes in a covered pan will leave the steak in a medium-well form... still have a bit of pink in the middle, but not much...

two minutes each side (must be COVERED) will keep the heat in... and the middle will be on the medium-rare side... it's just a matter of taste... for a one inch thick cut... but I agree with you about cooking it 3 minutes if you are NOT covering your wok, or pan, or grill... covered tends to cook faster as the heat is contained within... for medium to medium-rare steak...

of course your salad can be more elaborate... i just wanted a quick steak dinner...

your salad seems nice too... must try it someday...

food and how you wanna prepare it really has no 'book' to follow... just think of it as a guide, and the rest is really up to your interpretation, and finesse... and how you like it done...

/

Edited by Baloo

must be my fire too hot... i keep it on high fire... and heat up pan... and marinated steak wif a dash of olive oil each side, pepper/salt...

and in 1 minute 40 seconds... smoke was coming up... not the cooking smoke... chow dar smoke.. too dry...

quickly flip it over and left the cover off... and turned on the extractor fan/cooker hob to full power... and even slowed down the fire a bit...

poured in a table spoon of brandy, half per side... after another 1.5 minutes and took it out leow... goodness... high heat... not a good idea...

the meat... charred outside, cooked inwards a little, pink ring... and in the middle... fully red...

first time i see 3 rings... haha...

sigh... must put a bit of oil no matter what... my pan... oso can almost say good bye leow...

I usually brown my steaks on a skillet to seal the meat and give them the "grill" marks before slowly cooked them in an oven. This way, the meat will stay juicy and moist.

Side dishes would be fried onions, grilled vege, potatoes and a glass (or bottle) of chianti

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.