Male HQ

Home Made Salad...

Was in Cold storage... just wanted to get some greens to make home salad...

so looked at the lettuce... nice and fresh... and cheep... ok on sale... took it $2.

cucumber 17 cents per 100 grams... 2 pcs...

carrots... around 5 inch long, thickish... 3 pcs for $1 (ok this one i got at the wet market...)

local potatoes... 7 pcs packed, $1... (also from wet market)

Cameron Highlands CORN on cob... sale... $2 for 2 pcs... wa... this one i tot i'd never see here...

cherry tomatoes...

dried raisins, dried cranberries... by delmonte...

ok... peeled the potatoes and carrots... diced them to big dices, separate of course... and boiled to make them soft & cooked... also boiled the corn...

washed and put to air green lettuce (those with the really jaggered edges... dunno the name... but quite nice to eat raw...)

peeled the cucumber and cut off the seed-core... and sliced into thin strips...

the corn on the cob... removed the corn, nice... juicy... the cob... i can think of dastardly ways of using it... but no victim... hmmm... next time ba...

so ... in go the veg into a nice big salad bowl...

sprinkle on to spread out the diced potatoes, carrots, cucumber, rasins and cranberries

sprinkle on a few pinches of sea salt, fresh ground pepper...

pour in extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkling of sesame seed oil... (mua yu)...

french mustard (wif wine) , salad cream and thousand island to taste...

toss toss toss toss....

and garnish wif the cherry tomatoes...

(no eggs although it can be added - hard boiled of course... and no meat... unless you wanted to add in some strip-cut ham, or beacon bits... and i did not want to include garlic or onions this round... possible if you like it spiced up ...)

other variations can include cut fruit - green apples, or red apples, pineapple, or grapes (seedless please...) very nice also...

quite an ok lunch...

greens for the week hahahaa...

Yeeks.. sounds like a fruit salad, Baloo!

I like my greens green. Just a bit of arugula or some peppers to add some colour. Nothing too sweet.

How about dressings?

salad cream is too sweet and fat

thousand island is like a nightmare from primary school.

For a healthy, tummy reducing dressing, avoid the creamy stuff.

Try basic vinegarette.. a little red wine/balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. This is very versatile. Add mustard to give it a bite. Add chopped shallots to make it more savoury. Add sesame seed oil/mirin to make a japanese goma sauce.

Agree wif you on the salad cream stuff la...

i dun always do such salad...

usually just tossed mixed lettuces different types... with some corn or tomatoes cut and de-seeded...

the usual for me will be extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, reduced salt soy sauce, cider vinegar, chopped garlic and onions, and some black fresh ground pepper....

this is a very different type of 'salad' so we all open to variations and interpretations... do experiment and enjoy...

added potatoes... so need some stronger stuff like cream to help it along... grate in some cheese for the final sin... haha

Thanks Baloo.. found a great website which was full of tips on how to make "restaurant style" greens with oyster sauce:

Rasa Malaysia's Guide to Making Restaurant-style Chinese Greens with Oyster Sauce:

1. Buy fresh vegetables – select the freshest greens available in your market. Such as the baby bok choy shown in my pictures.

2. Use garlic oil – I use a lot of garlic oil in my Chinese cooking. It adds a lot of depth to simple dishes and infuses the veggie with garlicky flavor and aroma.

3. Use cooking oil wisely – Add a drop or two cooking oil into the water before blanching the vegetables. The cooking oil coats the vegetables so they look fresh and green, not purple.

4. Don't kill your vegetables, they are already dead! – Don't overcook your vegetables by leaving them too long in the boiling water. Perfectly blanched vegetables should be somewhat crunchy, not limp and wilted.

5. Discard excess water from the vegetables before plating/serving – Drain the water from the vegetables so it doesn't dilute the sauce. Excess water in the vegetables will make your vegetable dish watery.

It was amazing. My bf loved it and was very very grateful after dinner!

With this, I go back to my silence mode. Happy cooking to one and all!

the fruit salad remark made earlier triggered a craving to make one... and so it's fruit and nuts salad...

fuji apples, green apples, african pears, baby corn, mixed assorted nuts (unsalted of course), strawberries, apricots, raisins, cherries...

all cut and skinned... and soaked in iced light brine to stop it from browning...

no oil, just a good squeeze of tangy mustard sauce, and some reduced fat salad cream...

not a bad meal by itself...

the above is just what I did... it's open to your interptetation on what to put and how ...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.