Male HQ

Home Baked Cakes & Pastries.

Guest Alex

when you are ready can you invite some of the BW regulars to a tasting session? if really good you can bet word of mouth will spread faster...

if not... erm... well... let's just start with the 'good' part first...

:whistle: :whistle: :clap: :clap: :clap:

when you are ready can you invite some of the BW regulars to a tasting session? if really good you can bet word of mouth will spread faster...

No problem at all, I've actually started my baking. In that case I'll supply some cakes for the next BW outing and you guys can decide.

Hi guys, I'm starting my small scale home baking business.

Ooh...Grumpy Baker is so cute!

Anyway, be careful . I am not trying to be a wet blanket but actually NEA has regulations that home baking business can only sell to friends and NOT to the public. NEA says that 'Food sold on blogs are from unknown sources and may not be prepared in premises with acceptable hygiene standards.'

First time offenders could be fined up to $1,000.

The spokesman clarifies, however, that 'residents are allowed to carry out small scale home baking for sale' but only 'to friends, without turning the residence into a bakery'. Advertising and public sales are not allowed.

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/SME%2...0122-46164.html

So good luck! I mean no malice, just letting you know.

Thanks Jack, :P , if you see grumpybaker in a grumpy mood, you might think otherwise.

I have read the NEA home business guidelines, that's why I'm not baking to sell retail or supplying to other shops. My regular customers are mainly relatives, colleagues and friends. As for advertising, I will be very careful in future. But I'm also contemplating if I should get a small store, like in a food court or in a school; and if that happens, I'd have to register a business licence.

Thanks again so much for the advice.

Hi Grumpy Baker,

Hope I did not put a damper to your business plans.

Anyway, I have suggestions that may help you bend the regulations a little.

Firstly, dun mention anywhere ...blog, website or whatever that it is a home based baking. Just said it is just baking. If someone ask, you can said you lease an oven place from a friend's bakery factory. And your cakes are from there.

Secondly, maybe you can put on your blog or whatever that you only sell to friends, relatives and people you know...(in small print).

Friends etc is a broad definition...... :lol: And that can put authority off their track...

Dun worry, people will still contact you even if you indicate that.

As for selling to public, it does not only include retail or selling to shops, it also refers to the general public who ordered online, by phone...

Anyway, NEW would only give warnings first and then fined if the warnings are ignored.

Thanks Jack and TU. :lol:

Workshops might not work out due to space issues but feel free to ask me for recipes and questions regarding baking, I can try my best to answer.

Remember also to let me know the next BW outing so I can let you guys try my cakes.

Thanks Jack and TU. :lol:

Workshops might not work out due to space issues but feel free to ask me for recipes and questions regarding baking, I can try my best to answer.

Remember also to let me know the next BW outing so I can let you guys try my cakes.

Hey Alex, i need to ask u a baking question. I tried to make muffins and choc bread recently and it didn't turn out well.

1) Muffin, everything well went and baked nicely without going flat, but the muffin tasted too sticky, doughy and plain. I hope to have it light and fluffy... how to do that?

2) My bread totally failed. I knew something was wrong when i did the kneading and the dough wasn't elastic and i can't do a proper elastic kneading. It's like i'm tearing it out... So how to remedy it?

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hi Panda,

1: For lighter/fluffier muffins, you have to use creaming method,i.e. cream the butter and sugar before adding other ingredients. If this is what you did and still did not turn out well, verify your recipe. By right muffins are suppose to be just a little doughy. We do not mix too long after adding flour. By 'plain' you mean the taste? If so perhaps a little more sugar or essence of your choice. Usually we'll add choc chips or fresh fruits or dried fruits/nuts.

2: What you felt like when you knead the dough sounds like a dough without yeast and butter. If you're sure you have added those, then double check your liquid ingredients because usually the dough will be dry and tear if the eggs/water/milk/butter is not sufficient. Or when kneading is not done enough.

Have you baked those recipes before?

Please let me know how is it after you've try it again. Hope this helps.

Alex baked a lemon cheesecake for us.

All 12 of us loved it!

It was light and yummy - I am still dreaming of it.

Fortunately, I still have a bit left, will finish it today.

After that, will try his brownies with ice cream...

After that, will savour his cookies...

Hi Alex, thank u so much for your advice! :)

Both recipes are the 1st time i'm trying out. So now, i am ready to try again! hehe... i think i will just re-do the muffins... after i conquered that, then i move on to do bread... and cake... :thumb:

Koh Samui, I need u...

Thanks Eric for your generous compliments.

Panda, for home-made bread, if you do not have a bread maker, a lot of kneading will be necessary. Cakes are usually easier and more full-filling. I don't even make bread at home myself. :P

TA, I'm wiling to supply some brownies to BW's Anniversary outing, that'll be easier for me too. But I would need a few days advance notice and someone to pick up the cakes from my place.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the advice man! Alright, i shall change the order to 1) Muffins, 2) Cakes & 3) Bread! hehe...

Hey, if u are willing to teach me (or let me help) how to do the brownies (or whatever u are making for the party), i volunteer to send them :lol:

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hey Panda, you don't have to change the order, bake as however you like, that's the fun of it.

I can show you how to bake brownies on that day you come to collect.

But I'll prepare some the day before so that it'll be chilled. That'll taste better.

You call me after 8th to fix a day can? I'm out of town from 3rd to 7th July.

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.