Male HQ

Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)

Correct me if I am wrong....let's be realistic the hay days national building phase for Singapore is over. She has since run herself like a MNC akin to sugarcane empire. The citizens are all "squeeze dry out of their juices". Its all about revenues. Any reasons for her not to have such robust reserves and "disposables"?? The elites are the ones living at the ivory towers... who will care about the minorities or the disadvantages? All wayang only. So if a single wish to profit out of the single housing  scheme or resale flat..... wait long long bah. 

Edited by amuse.ed

7 hours ago, Guest Huh?? said:

Huh??  like that mean mostly all the single population who bought 3 room resale in the past not qualified liao???  I thought when a person bought 3 room resale, the grant of SGD11000 (for singles) was a default gift, whether you asked or didn't ask for it..  If that was even called a "grant" at all for such a small amount, my friend would rather not have it if he knew there is such a criteria imposed on getting a 2-room BTO  a decade later.  Wa lau, liddat very si-poon!

Yes,  once u got the grant, u r no longer consider as first time buyer and therefore no chance for a  BTO.... In order to not si-poon so much,  rent out the room and after 5 years,  rent out the whole place 😊

1 hour ago, amuse.ed said:

Correct me if I am wrong....let's be realistic the hay days national building phase for Singapore is over. She has since run herself like a MNC akin to sugarcane empire. The citizens are all "squeeze dry out of their juices". Its all about revenues. Any reasons for her not to have such robust reserves and "disposables"?? The elites are the ones living at the ivory towers... who will care about the minorities or the disadvantages? All wayang only. So if a single wish to profit out of the single housing  scheme or resale flat..... wait long long bah. 

Single are never the priority as this is a very family oriented country....resale can no longer make any profit, rental helps to make up for the losses I suppose. 

Guest Stoney Bird

Aiya!!!  HDB has full of HDB shit to observe.  Just told my friend forget about getting BTO, go buy a 2-room condominium and rent out his 3 room resale flat - forever until it reached zero value,  At the same time, use the rental income to pay for the condominium monthly installment and stay in his condo to shake legs.   He own two houses -private and public.  Kill two birds with one stone.  Whoever think of selling to down-grade, is falling into a cheat scam and si-poon.

59 minutes ago, Guest Stoney Bird said:

Aiya!!!  HDB has full of HDB shit to observe.  Just told my friend forget about getting BTO, go buy a 2-room condominium and rent out his 3 room resale flat - forever until it reached zero value,  At the same time, use the rental income to pay for the condominium monthly installment and stay in his condo to shake legs.   He own two houses -private and public.  Kill two birds with one stone.  Whoever think of selling to down-grade, is falling into a cheat scam and si-poon.

Your friend got the units before the cooling measures kicked in? Now it is hard to get a flat and buy a condo. You need to pay 12% absd. 1 mil will set you back 120k. How many months of rental one need to recoup the loss.

Guest Tio Bo?
1 hour ago, justanotherme said:

Your friend got the units before the cooling measures kicked in? Now it is hard to get a flat and buy a condo. You need to pay 12% absd. 1 mil will set you back 120k. How many months of rental one need to recoup the loss.

Buy cheap one lor. especially those who want to unload their property fast and not wanting to make profit, especially from the desperate foreigner.   Tio Bo?  Anyway, told my friend to forget about BTO.  Everything comes with a price, better stay put and not think too far.  In fact, my friend 3-room resale flat quite large, can host party.

1 minute ago, Guest Tio Bo? said:

Buy cheap one lor. especially those who want to unload their property fast and not wanting to make profit, especially from the desperate foreigner.   Tio Bo?  Anyway, told my friend to forget about BTO.  Everything comes with a price, better stay put and not think too far.  In fact, my friend 3-room resale flat quite large, can host party.

How cheap can condo be? 700k? that is 84k absd. Not worth. Resale hard to make good profits these days. Rental is good, but also must be taxed. 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Yes,  once u got the grant, u r no longer consider as first time buyer and therefore no chance for a  BTO.... In order to not si-poon so much,  rent out the room and after 5 years,  rent out the whole place 😊

All must consider very carefully whether to accept HDB grant as it comes with string of conditions.  If can afford, simply avoid the grant. 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, lonelyglobe said:

If rent out whole place? Then where the person going to stay? 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:25 PM, Guest Tio Bo? said:

How big your friend 3 room flat is?

On 2/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, justanotherme said:

How cheap can condo be? 700k? that is 84k absd. Not worth. Resale hard to make good profits these days. Rental is good, but also must be taxed. 

I don't know about the ruling in buying condo. You mean the 84k is additional amount need to pay? And still haven't included the condo downpayment and others amount need to pay yet?

16 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

If rent out whole place? Then where the person going to stay? 

Some may go oversea to work, some will move back to parent's place but you loose out on freedom, others will choose to rent a room,  still worth it,  end of the day really depend on what is important to u😊

Edited by lonelyglobe

10 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Some may go oversea to work, some will move back to parent's place but you loose out on freedom, others will choose to rent a room,  still worth it,  end of the day really depend on what is important to u😊

If you used to stay in a 3 room yourself, but if rent out the whole place and go rent a room, seems like going backward to a miserable life than going forward for a better life. Rent room needs to stay with landlord and cheapest also need to pay $600, really worth it?

If going overseas to work or moving back to parents place still not so bad.

9 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

If you used to stay in a 3 room yourself, but if rent out the whole place and go rent a room, seems like going backward to a miserable life than going forward for a better life. Rent room needs to stay with landlord and cheapest also need to pay $600, really worth it?

If going overseas to work or moving back to parents place still not so bad.

Really depend on your priority 😊

Guest very sad

Dear Bros!, Need advice for my unique situation.

I'm 41 going 42 this year.

Have been running my own biz but the company is under my parent's name. I'm just an employee earning gross salary $700 per month.

I failed to take my business off the ground so decided to go back to work for others. I've already found a job starting next month with $6k gross.

I only have $100k in my OA and not much cash on hand.

I'm living with my mum in a 3rm flat now. As much as I would want to stay alone, I think I have to continue staying with her as my dad is no longer around and my sis already got married.

What are the options for me to catch up the income and be a home owner? 

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Guest very sad said:

Have been running my own biz but the company is under my parent's name. I'm just an employee earning gross salary $700 per month.

I failed to take my business off the ground so decided to go back to work for others. I've already found a job starting next month with $6k gross.

I'm living with my mum in a 3rm flat now. As much as I would want to stay alone, I think I have to continue staying with her as my dad is no longer around and my sis already got married.

Thanks in advance.

Get a 3 room flat. Bto if possible. 

Rent out her 3 room. Share the rental between 2 of u.

What's your new job?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

4 hours ago, fab said:

Get a 3 room flat. Bto if possible. 

Rent out her 3 room. Share the rental between 2 of u.

What's your new job?

He cannot take anything if his mom's flat is also under his co-name.  If he does not have his name under his mom's flat, he can only take up 2-room BTO (not 3 room). under single scheme.  At 40,and he is certain that he won't get retrenched or unemployed for the next 15 years, he can consider buying resale (flat type and town at his choice).   If he want to play safe,  go get a 2-room BTO and pay them in full using his existing CPF.  No need to worry about unemployed or having to serve long term loan.  You mean you dunno meh?

13 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

You sounds like a prisoner who prefer to say inside jail for free foods, so that you can have some savings instead of coming out of jail to become independent or enjoy the freedom of life.   By the time you are old, you landed in hospital or some nursing home paid with all your savings.  Is that what you have planned? No life, no freedom, no independent, no enjoyment and yet life is so short.  I salute you.

59 minutes ago, Guest Meh? said:

He cannot take anything if his mom's flat is also under his co-name.  If he does not have his name under his mom's flat, he can only take up 2-room BTO (not 3 room). under single scheme.  At 40,and he is certain that he won't get retrenched or unemployed for the next 15 years, he can consider buying resale (flat type and town at his choice).   If he want to play safe,  go get a 2-room BTO and pay them in full using his existing CPF.  No need to worry about unemployed or having to serve long term loan.  You mean you dunno meh?

Now I know. 

Thanks ah jie, 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

11 hours ago, Guest very sad said:

Thanks in advance.

Is better to check with HDB,  there are rules that are not stated clearly,  only when u ask then u get answer.... Not sure if u can top up your mum cpf and if she can buy those senior apartment,  then u can stay at your current flat and rent out extra room. 

Guest very sad

I have not received my first pay.

I read that if my salary is $6k and above, I won't be able to apply for BTO 2rm right?

Can I faster go apply before I receive my first pay? Or anything other options I can take advantage of now?

Guest Joey JieJie
30 minutes ago, Guest very sad said:

I read that if my salary is $6k and above, I won't be able to apply for BTO 2rm right?

Can I faster go apply before I receive my first pay? Or anything other options I can take advantage of now?

You mentioned about family business right?  You can ask your mom to issue you a pay-slip or a letter, from your family business, stating how much salary per month also can, not necessary payslip. Then go HDB website look for the lastest BTO opening/booking, and apply from there/pay a small fee and wait for the result.   It is not whether you qualify or not, it is whether over-subscrbed or not.  However, if the BTO is near your mom place or similar town, your chance is HIGH.

2 hours ago, Guest very sad said:

Did they shift this to $7k recently?

Just need to check on something from the experts here. 

My friend’s dad just passed on. (His mum passed on many years ago) 

He bought a resale flat 7 years ago and got a condo 1 year back. 

He got a sister that is married and own a had flat too. 

He went to hdb yesterday and was told that he will have to sell the parents flat within the next 6 months as he cannot own 2 hdb flats. Either that he will have to sell his private property and current hdb resale flat. (Even the will mentioned that both his sister and him will own 50% each). 

How true is it?

Guest I think
20 minutes ago, Dymond said:

He went to hdb yesterday and was told that he will have to sell the parents flat within the next 6 months as he cannot own 2 hdb flats. Either that he will have to sell his private property and current hdb resale flat. (Even the will mentioned that both his sister and him will own 50% each). 

How true is it?

U cannot own 2 HDB flat. Deal with either one by disposing them. The money will go back to the cpf or estate of your dad pending disbusement to u and your sis.. keep your condo. Dont get it involved with HDB which is public property.

1 hour ago, Dymond said:

How true is it?

Nope. The proceed sale of hdb will be in cheque divided by 2 of u. Yes. U cant keep 2 hdbs. Condo got nothing to do in this case.

Guest wahahahahaha
4 hours ago, Innocentguy said:

Aiyah oredi single n childless, earn so much of money, sell hdb hundred times, for what? Buy one house with hsing grant ,rent one room n work,spend accordingly can oredi. Until 50yo u still shop n shop, travel n travel meh. Go sauna fuck or get fucked ,go home n sleep ok oredi.

I agree.  The only Siao lang here is that desperate @lonelyglobe with no life....wahahahahaha

2 hours ago, Innocentguy said:

Nope. The proceed sale of hdb will be in cheque divided by 2 of u. Yes. U cant keep 2 hdbs. Condo got nothing to do in this case.

so my friend can choose which hdb to keep? 
like that less of an issue :) 

he is now planning to sell his 2 room flat as the parent’s flat is 5 room.  So can actually rent out the other 2 rooms & use the $ from the sales of his flat to pay to his sister. 

8 minutes ago, Dymond said:

so my friend can choose which hdb to keep? 
like that less of an issue :) 

he is now planning to sell his 2 room flat as the parent’s flat is 5 room.  So can actually rent out the other 2 rooms & use the $ from the sales of his flat to pay to his sister. 

But how can he keep his parents hdb cause hdb flat cant pass down. Unless yr fren's name is in that house.  Cant be his name in that house n he managed to buy 2rm isnt it ?

7 minutes ago, Innocentguy said:

Oh through lawyer can only sell it away but cant inherits. Hdb rules. 

My colleague wanted to pass down his parents house to his daughter. Hdb rejects n he end up engage a lawyer to sell that house.  Took him 1 to 2 years. 

Wah! So troublesome ah? 

No wonder nowadays so many older folks buy BTO balance lease flats. 

No hassle upon death. 

1 hour ago, Innocentguy said:

But how can he keep his parents hdb cause hdb flat cant pass down. Unless yr fren's name is in that house.  Cant be his name in that house n he managed to buy 2rm isnt it ?

Must do necessary paperwork. 

Sell his own and buy over his dad's. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

On 2/28/2020 at 11:29 PM, Guest guest said:

How big your friend 3 room flat is?

My friend 3 room flat is huge.  He knocked down his store-room, knocked down one bedroom (since he already got a utility room).  The whole house can host 5-tables wedding dinner for guests.  The other day,  we went to HDB hub to look at the 2-room BTO,  I told him to ignore the mirror that gave a force impression of space and visualise the actual size of the BTO.  He is fine with the living room and single bedroom, but he think the kitchen too small and crammy.  He is a good cook, and loves to stock spices, canisters, utentils pots and pants.   Comparing his existing 3-room resale and 2-room BTO was like comparing a biscuit Tin with a Sardine Can.   He hasn't decided yet.  It is a life time choice to be made.  Once he has chosen, there is no turning back.  I worried, I like his old house more.    

Guest Why lidat
11 hours ago, Dymond said:

Wah! So troublesome ah? 

No wonder nowadays so many older folks buy BTO balance lease flats. 

No hassle upon death. 

Yes.  2-room BTO has not much resale value and 99 year lease will lock down your available CPF funds, which can't be used for retirement. As such, many opted for short-lease 2-room BTO and the lease is more than enough to outlive their life.  If you look at HDB resale flat of those 2-room BTO, not much of a taker even with good view. 

Guest very sad

Is Telok Blangah an attractive place for investment?

The price is lower than flats in outskirts of CBD. Eg. Tiong Bahru, Outram....

Given its centralized location, it should be able to fetch higher rental yield and more resellable. And good chance of getting en bloc as most of them are old flats.

Btw, do how one benefit if there is an en bloc?

34 minutes ago, Guest very sad said:

Given its centralized location, it should be able to fetch higher rental yield and more resellable. And good chance of getting en bloc as most of them are old flats.

Lift upgrading & HIP done. 
unlikely for enbloc. 

35 minutes ago, Guest very sad said:

Yes,  rental is good and easy as long as they don't relocate sentosa ha.... Is easy to travel to city and orchard area and also once they complete the full circle line, is only 4 stop away from Marina Bay...there are a lot of old flats so u really need to be super lucky for enbloc but if it happens,  u can get a new 3 room flat and that is the only time for single to do so + a fresh tenure of  99 years. There will also be some compensation given or u can raise the price and sell by yourself then u won't get the chance for the new flat. 

• 2 years later...

I am contemplating selling my 2 room HDB and getting a 3 room HDB next year. The prices are comparable for a 3 room HDB that is between 10 and 20 years depending on location. That means I don’t have to take out loan to pay the difference in price. 

Anyone did the same before? Any suggestions?

On 9/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, Startup said:

I am contemplating selling my 2 room HDB and getting a 3 room HDB next year. The prices are comparable for a 3 room HDB that is between 10 and 20 years depending on location. That means I don’t have to take out loan to pay the difference in price. 

Depends how old the 3 room flat you want to buy. The price for a 3 rm resale flat can range from 300k to 700k. Even though you can sell your 2 rm flat at least 300k plus based on current market and can profit quite a bit, but still must plan properly on your purchase if you do not want to take loan.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, Startup said:

i also plan to do that 

but my current flat i need another 3 y

On 9/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, thickhead79 said:

yes yes good to get a slight bigger flat 

worst can rent out room to collect rental if i cannot work 

Good move that you bought a 2 rm flat first, then sell off after MOP and buy a 3 rm. You can profit in this way than go buy a 3 rm flat first.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, Guest guest said:

Good move that you bought a 2 rm flat first, then sell off after MOP and buy a 3 rm. You can profit in this way than go buy a 3 rm flat first.

I'm thinking of that too but has anyone done it before?

By the time you sold your 2 rm flat, the price of 3 rm has already gone up also.

Can someone do the math?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.