Male HQ

Miss being a student

radical

Hi all,

How many of you here miss being a student? 

I look back at memories of me being a young boy back in school, attending lessons and attending tuitions. The teachers and classmates who impacted our life. The friendships made. The joy of learning and the hardship of studying. 

Not forgetting unpleasant people and unhappy moments back then.

Me!

I missed it v much, often think bk - is thr sth like a time travel machine? Or maybe one day we can go bk to our old classroom n try listening to our teachers agn?

The most memorable was my p6, whr i returned back to join my old friends. Our pri sch was reno when i was p4, so no choice, gt to move to other sch. Sch tk 2 yrs to reno finish, i was p6 at that pt of time, really happy to see em all agn! Last time don hv mobile, we don contact aft sch. Wasted 2 yrs of nt being tgt w em, and onlt d last yr of joining em all tgt (lucky to b in d same class too!)

Aft which, we went off to sec 1. We moved hse, i started my sec 1 in a super new environment, sigh. No contact w my pri sch friends since then...

I miss cheap canteen food, daydreaming in class, skipping classes and taking long bus rides, going to the arcade in school uniform during school hours, hiding in the toilet during flag ceremony and kicking friends in the butt while they are peeing at the urinals ending up looking as though they peed all over their pants...

Being a student is a bit like living in a cocoon. Mostly we live together and make groups of friends, we eat together, attend classes together, do extra-curricular activities together, do crazy things together and have fun. It's almost as though our lives are programmed - but we have a role in creating the programmes. Then suddenly we are let out into the big wide world where the walls in which we have lived our lives are no longer there. We face a whole new set of challenges and we lose much of our control. For many, the transition can be difficult at the start. So it's natural that we look back on student years with rosy tinted spectacles. 

Guest Guest
On 7/26/2020 at 11:35 PM, radical said:

Hi all,

I look back at memories of me being a young boy back in school, attending lessons and attending tuitions. The teachers and classmates who impacted our life. The friendships made. The joy of learning and the hardship of studying. 

I don't think you are missing being a student. You can always have the joy of learning and the hardship of studying anytime you want, even if you are 70 to 80 years old. I think what you are missing is the carefree lifestyle and the lack of responsibilities while you were still being a student. But that's just part of growing up, isn't it? You need to find other forms of enjoyment now. 

I miss hanging out with those hot fit sporty guys in sec and jc.

I don't miss the exams tho.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 7/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, radical said:

Hi all,

You should never miss being a student because you should be a student throughout life. 

Once high school and university studies end,  it is not the end of learning.  You may want undertake postgraduate studies, with exams,  at any time after graduation.   New interests, change in specialty of work,  adaptation to new technology,  all this require study. 

On 7/26/2020 at 11:40 AM, curlyrainbow85 said:

It is the best time of out lives. I had some stress during college, but High School was the best time of my life. Even now sometimes I think about it and I want to go back.

Everyone is different.  My best time in life was not in high school,  it happens now after retirement.  And I was lucky in my professional work to do the technical work I enjoy doing. 

Guest It is ME

Hi all,

Nope!!!  I don't miss being a student, especially when attending school, where I find the things and subject that were taught to me does not inspire nor instill my interest.  After I left school,  I went to private school to learn Art Craft and that is where I truly enjoyed what I am most passionate about, being an Artist that does not restrict my boundary of expression and creativity.  I am more happy doiing what I love rather than what other people expected of me.  So Ya, it is not about being a student, but being me.

Guest Try and see

I don't miss being a student, actually, because of our educational system, and also the constant stress and pressure from my parents. 

Not that there were no happy and fun moments, but it's just that the constant threat and fear of failing tests and exams was always looming in the background.

In fact, strangely, my happiest times were during NS because it was the first time in my life that the burden of tests/exams were lifted. It gave me so much more free time to focus on my hobbies and explore my sexuality, which I could never do in school.

I don't really mind working life either because I finally got to earn my own money and be financially-independent of my father, so that I was no longer at the mercy of his mood swings and drunken rages.

But to each his own. Some people really love and cherish their school days.

2a69282d-e415-4179-806c-f544988659be-102

29 minutes ago, Guest Try and see said:

But to each his own. Some people really love and cherish their school days.

2a69282d-e415-4179-806c-f544988659be-102

If the guy in the pic was your teacher, you were lucky.

My teachers were nuns in kindergarten,  lay priests in elementary and full priests in high school.  But in the university I had normal teachers.  None as good looking!  But thanks to that, I did concentrate on my studies :) 

Guest Freaky
10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

My teachers were nuns in kindergarten,  lay priests in elementary and full priests in high school. 

This is so fucking freaky, no wonder you are so weird.

8 minutes ago, Guest Freaky said:

This is so fucking freaky, no wonder you are so weird.

There was nothing fucking freaky in the Catholic schools I attended.  My teachers were religious people and very honorable, decent, principled.  The education they gave me was first class, much discipline and nothing negative.  I never believed one word of the Christian religion, but I always had much respect for my teachers.

If this is "fucking freaky" to you,  you are an exception because most decent people agree with me. Maybe you are the weird ?  

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

My teachers were nuns in kindergarten,  lay priests in elementary and full priests in high school.  But in the university I had normal teachers.

You yourself are saying that being taught by nuns in kindergarten,  lay priests in elementary and full priests in high school is abnormal. And yet when people agree with you, you bash them? That really attest to your weirdness.

9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You yourself are saying that being taught by nuns in kindergarten,  lay priests in elementary and full priests in high school is abnormal. And yet when people agree with you, you bash them? That really attest to your weirdness.

It is just a choice of words.  "Normal" as opposed to "members of a clergy".   After all I went to Catholic schools, which are not the norm. 

But I understand your issue:  the English you learned is a form of Singlish, and  you immediately interpret what is not normal as "fucking freaky".  I am sorry to tell you, but your interpretation is "fucking freaky" in itself.  This confirms that YOU are the weird one.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally understand what you mean my friend. That was one of the best period of my life. It was easier to leave, we had a lot of free time and less worries in comparison with now. I could always go somewhere with my friends after university and come drunk in the morning to dormitory, take my bag and go to university. Now I think that my son is so lucky, he has the same situation, moreover he is smarter than I was that time. He as a good art scholarship from https://www.listsofscholarships.com/art-scholarships/, so he can party more than me now.

Edited by PaulHodges

• 1 year later...

Oh yeah, I miss the carefree days of college, too. I had to write an essay for my residency. It's part of the standard admissions process. These essays take a tremendous amount of time and effort to write and even more to proofread and edit. You have to get the admissions officer, among hundreds of other students, to pay attention to you through this paper. Getting a paper of this quality helps medical residency personal statement editing service. It makes it possible to find time to relax and hang out with your friends.

Edited by JimmieGeis

On 5/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, JimmieGeis said:

Oh yeah, I miss the carefree days of college, too. I had to write an essay for my residency.

My days of college were anything but carefree. Work + study.  And even later my postgraduate studies were work + study + family.  And I was forced to a period of residency for my dissertation.  But my carefree days are TODAY,  ha ha.

Hi all,

Yes. I miss being a student. The exam which I think is a big things is not nothing compared to the hurdles one encounters in working life. 

No matter how we miss our student's life, we should move forward in life. I watched the movie all's well ends well 1997, the character portrayed by Francis Ng is student of multiple degree and phd and is planning into pursuing another one just after his recent graduation. His lecturer recommend him a teaching job but he declined because he is shy according to him in which the lecturer scolded him a shitty person behind his back. 

While we should definitely move on in life, we shouldn't also be fearful of returning to school to upgrade ourselves. I know too many people who were all too happy to cut their links with books and exams after they graduated. Not the right attitude, if you ask me. One should approach life as a constant opportunity to learn new things and pick up new skills. Otherwise, we will just stagnate.

Слава Україні!

Guest Guest

U can always go back to school if u want.Look at aunty Lucy at age 41 go back wear uniform shouldn't be a problem.Unless u thinking of money than skip school.

Guest ShoppingBag

I miss my poly days...so many puppy loves and "explorations" (me and my no.1 had to search online how to do it for the 1st time :wub:). Also, poly is like a meat market - jocks, nerds...all twinks lol. I thought my uni days will be more havoc but turned out worse ...always chasing team mates to complete their parts of the assignments, never ending assignments and preparing thesis.

Guest Shit Story
On 5/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, Steve5380 said:

My days of college were anything but carefree. Work + study.  And even later my postgraduate studies were work + study + family.  And I was forced to a period of residency for my dissertation.  But my carefree days are TODAY,  ha ha.

You joined the club late.  We can  see  you are trying to make up for your "lost time" here....wahahahahaha...

So back to the topic. 

I  do not understand why people still return to school in their middle-age years.  If it is for fun, for passion, for hobby, I could understand.  If it is for careers, upskill, reskill, you can forget the shit.  Singapore is still a very much discriminatory and ageist country with an open foreigner's door policy.  Spend less and aim for less stressful lifestyle.  Life is more than just...working like shit and especially for a shitty boss. 

Well, I know people who have no choice but to reskill due to the change in the employment climate, and had to go back to school. My student was a bright student who studied EEE during the semicon boom in Singapore. It seemed a great choice at that time, with wonderful job prospects. About ten years after graduation, the situation with the industry had changed, with many lay-offs and little sign of a recovery. Huge numbers of semicon engineers then took it upon themselves to go back to school, many studied finance, so as to get a job in another industry/discipline. So count yourself lucky, if you never needed to face this situation.

Слава Україні!

Guest Worker
On 5/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, auscent said:

Not much missing.

Working life has its down but sure has ups. Last week, I dreamt I forgot to study Math. I suddenly woke up and thank heavens, Im not a student anymore.

Your dream not so bad.  I dreamt I forgot to sit for my exam, and woke up realising I am no longer a student. 

I forgot how to study text book already. Or maybe lack the discipline or focus. I cannot concentrate. I have to study for certain certifications at work. But keep on postponing. My mind say ok after work study or weekend study. But comes that time I will just give myself excuse. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:25 AM, mantin30 said:

I forgot how to study text book already. Or maybe lack the discipline or focus. I cannot concentrate. I have to study for certain certifications at work. But keep on postponing. My mind say ok after work study or weekend study. But comes that time I will just give myself excuse.

Then don't blame others when you don't get promoted, and even your juniors start to overtake you in position.

Слава Україні!

On 5/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, mantin30 said:

This has happened to me too, and it still tries to get hold of me.  The solution that I find works, is to cultivate DISCIPLINE.

Discipline, like happiness, is not something that comes from our genes at birth.  It has to be cultivated, little by little.  When with much good intentions we start doing something that requires concentration, we might after a few minutes feel the temptation to take a break, a distraction, and continue later.  If we reject this temptation and continue concentrating for a longer period,  this is an act of discipline.  With practice, we can invoke "discipline" and keep uninterrupted concentrating in what is worth our dedication, and we can succeed in learning, in achieving our goal.   So... don't give up but start to consciously apply "discipline".  It gets easier with practice.

Similarly,  don't accept negativity but cultivate the FEELING of happiness.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, sgmaven said:

Then don't blame others when you don't get promoted, and even your juniors start to overtake you in position.

I didn't blame. I even rejected. Not haolian. At first I thought is a pity gesture to make me happy. I contented with my current position. I said let the capable to go up. Not necessary by seniority. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:42 AM, Steve5380 said:

This has happened to me too, and it still tries to get hold of me.  The solution that I find works, is to cultivate DISCIPLINE.

Discipline, like happiness, is not something that comes from our genes at birth.  It has to be cultivated, little by little.  When with much good intentions we start doing something that requires concentration, we might after a few minutes feel the temptation to take a break, a distraction, and continue later.  If we reject this temptation and continue concentrating for a longer period,  this is an act of discipline.  With practice, we can invoke "discipline" and keep uninterrupted concentrating in what is worth our dedication, and we can succeed in learning, in achieving our goal.   So... don't give up but start to consciously apply "discipline".  It gets easier with practice.

Similarly,  don't accept negativity but cultivate the FEELING of happiness.

I tried to and still trying. Haha. Maybe cause I have a greater plan in my mind though my plan may seem impractical. I need to multitask to let all my plans run concurrently. Just in case, to allow some backup plan. 

On 5/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, mantin30 said:

I tried to and still trying. Haha. Maybe cause I have a greater plan in my mind though my plan may seem impractical. I need to multitask to let all my plans run concurrently. Just in case, to allow some backup plan. 

It is good that you have backup plans.  But better not too many.

There is a saying in Spanish:  "Quien mucho abarca, poco aprieta"  ( he who covers a lot, tightens it very little...)

Guest wahahaha
On 5/18/2022 at 3:54 AM, Steve5380 said:

It is good that you have backup plans.  But better not too many.

There is a saying in Spanish:  "Quien mucho abarca, poco aprieta"  ( he who covers a lot, tightens it very little...)

Why not say man of many trades are master of none....wahahaha

Guest Students are overrated
On 5/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, sgmaven said:

Oh please our company just hired a junior programmer since Feb. Until today he still can't produce a working product. 

Everyday just come work watch video lecture. Its like learning how to swim by watching swimming video. 

He thinks he learning to code by watching video of people talking about coding. 

I told my boss. End of this month its his 3 months probation period. Up to now, he has not delivered anything. Company have paid him 2 months of 4.5k and end of this month he getting paid another 4.5k to do nothing... 

I told my boss I don't recommend keeping him. I even told my boss. You can fire him. That 4.5k add to my current salary and I will do twice the work

Then I can gladly earn 12k per month. 

Oh and he complain that he is underpaid. His peers getting 5k. One day I told him.. I will give you 500 dollars out of my pocket so you can earn 5k but if you can't deliver I expect the resignation letter. 

So now Im waiting for him to give me the rsdignation letter end of this month or we will just terminate him. 

Students think they are God in school. 

Come out demand high pay. Have zero work skills. 

Complain that starting pay is not 5k. 

He can find another job. So many fakes in IT

On 5/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, Guest Students are overrated said:

Oh please our company just hired a junior programmer since Feb. Until today he still can't produce a working product.

One bad apple does not prove your point, especially if you refuse to upgrade and keep up-to-date with what is happening in your field.

Слава Україні!

On 5/17/2022 at 11:45 PM, mantin30 said:

I didn't blame. I even rejected. Not haolian. At first I thought is a pity gesture to make me happy. I contented with my current position. I said let the capable to go up. Not necessary by seniority. 

Nothing wrong to be content where you are. At least you have the correct mindset. Just that there are people who refuse to upgrade, and yet expect promotions and such.

Слава Україні!

Guest Young doesn't mean capable
On 5/18/2022 at 2:55 PM, sgmaven said:

One bad apple does not prove your point, especially if you refuse to upgrade and keep up-to-date with what is happening in your field.

Please la. 

People hire worker main purpose is to do the job. Wanna upgrade learn you can do it at your own time. 

My friend in Google say Friday is their "learning and upgrade" day. Aka. 

Work Monday to Thursday. Friday. Own time own target. Most places Friday is tgif anyway. 

Not.. Monday to Friday just study study. 

Company pay you to do the work so company can earn money. 

Not pay you to study. 

You can already do that freely at your own time. 

On 5/18/2022 at 3:21 AM, Guest Young doesn't mean capable said:

Please la. 

People hire worker main purpose is to do the job. Wanna upgrade learn you can do it at your own time. 

If in your line of work an outsider can come in and start being productive from day one,  you need to find another activity that offers more security and possibilities of advancement.

After I finished my 6 years engineering study,  I was hired by a company that sent me to Venezuela for 6 months as a "trainee" to its specific school  to learn the field work.  Thereafter I was a "junior" fiend engineer for several years.  But thanks to my engineering background I was able to maintain and repair in the field the complicated equipment that no one else understood fully.  This helped me to be moved to Houston and to survive for over 30 years in this demanding company.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.