Male HQ

Vaccination Discussion + Should I ask my elderly parents to vaccinate? + All Singapore residents to be vaccinated (compiled)

Guest Freaky

1 hour ago, Guest Kuti Kuti said:

Waaaaaaaah.....just realised so many lao ah pek in this forum. All got advance notification for vaccination.  I thought Steve5380 is the only LAO ANG MO here.

Eh. Cannot be essential worker or front liner ah?

Guest Smarty Head

Let those kiasu people queue and poke first.  I can wait and hopefully by then they developed a more advance vaccine. See?  I very smart.

2 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

Nope. Please don’t spread misinformation 

This came from the vaccination staff. Of course you are free to disbelieve.

Guest guest
11 hours ago, keyboard said:

Friend register liao but haven't got invite yet. Guessing now already got long waiting list with so many people ready to go back home or travel holiday.

By the way. When I did for my aunt few weeks back. Nearby all fully booked or late timings, so she had to take one 3 weeks out for AM slot. She was the >70 batch before 60 announcement.

Some centers don't practice appointed timing. So have to wait 45mins or so for registration.

Should be long long queue, esp if the group for 60 and above many are still waiting to get vaccine, then for the group 45-59 should need to wait even longer, since 45-59 group i think 90% will want to get vaccine.

Guest guest
4 hours ago, Since u r here said:

Seemed like many tend to felt bit of unwell on 2nd round, i was ok......

glad that u hve completed all your inoculations! 

You mean you are well on both dose?

Guest guest
1 hour ago, Guest Smarty Head said:

Let those kiasu people queue and poke first.  I can wait and hopefully by then they developed a more advance vaccine. See?  I very smart.

Sg vaccine will target to be completed by end of this year. I do not think a more advance vaccine would be develop. Even really have, also does not mean sg govt will buy them in. And so we need to follow what govt has plan for us, so if you missed the boat, don't later complain. Haha.

Guest guest
4 hours ago, Neh Neh said:

Get your parents do a LPA and a will first. In case they fallen into vaccination complication suddenly. Make sure you have a sum of money readily be used for your parents' hospitalisation.

Say until so scary, like that might as well don't go take the vaccine? Haha.

1 hour ago, jake412 said:

I don't think that's the point .. It is always good for your older family members (parents, grandparents) to make their medical wishes known to their family and appoint an LPA. In this era of metabolic diseases, everyone will have a risk for heart problems in the future. While we do not expect any severe reactions / complications from the vaccine, making a LPA and medical plan is something EVERYONE should do. Not just for you to consider now because they're going for the vaccine.

Side note. On the vaccine ..  Majority of our seniors have taken the vaccine and most only experience mild and short term side effects from it. Things like muscle pain at site if injection, feeling tired, sleepy, headache, etc. If you want to weigh the pros and cons, then I think the benefits of taking the vaccine and avoiding a full blown respiratory infection, bronchiectasis and other lungs issues, outweighs these risks. 

Is there a risk? Yes. Everyday you walk out the door of your house, is there a risk of you getting into an accident in the bus you take? Yes. Is there a risk of the MRT bursting into flames? Yes. Is there a risk of you suddenly collapsing and having a stroke? Yes. There's risks for everything, but only we can make a conscious decision to weigh the pros and cons and decide what is good for ourselves. 

Listen to the concerns your family members have and help teach them about the science of how vaccine works and dispell misconceptions (things like vaccines causing autism, cancer, or its a governement plots to inject GPS trackers into everyone etc). Don't make the decision for them though (unless youre the LPA).

And not to forget if they, as respectable as they claim to be, supported the anti-vaccine exhortation.

7 hours ago, Notti said:

Needless to say, YES! Everyone should get vaccinated.

9 hours ago, jake412 said:

I don't think that's the point .. It is always good for your older family members (parents, grandparents) to make their medical wishes known to their family and appoint an LPA. In this era of metabolic diseases, everyone will have a risk for heart problems in the future. While we do not expect any severe reactions / complications from the vaccine, making a LPA and medical plan is something EVERYONE should do. Not just for you to consider now because they're going for the vaccine.

Side note. On the vaccine ..  Majority of our seniors have taken the vaccine and most only experience mild and short term side effects from it. Things like muscle pain at site if injection, feeling tired, sleepy, headache, etc. If you want to weigh the pros and cons, then I think the benefits of taking the vaccine and avoiding a full blown respiratory infection, bronchiectasis and other lungs issues, outweighs these risks. 

Is there a risk? Yes. Everyday you walk out the door of your house, is there a risk of you getting into an accident in the bus you take? Yes. Is there a risk of the MRT bursting into flames? Yes. Is there a risk of you suddenly collapsing and having a stroke? Yes. There's risks for everything, but only we can make a conscious decision to weigh the pros and cons and decide what is good for ourselves. 

Listen to the concerns your family members have and help teach them about the science of how vaccine works and dispell misconceptions (things like vaccines causing autism, cancer, or its a governement plots to inject GPS trackers into everyone etc). Don't make the decision for them though (unless youre the LPA).

Totally agreed. Everyone should get vaccinated. Nevertheless, if your parents have pre-conditions eg high blood pressure, high in cholesterol, diabetes , critical illnesses etc that would trigger some other side effects than those common one. As such,  you may wish to consult your family doctor to get a opinion prior to decide on whether they are suitable for the vaccination. A qualify doctor would be of help in this regards.  

Had a discussion with my peers and reached a conclusion. Just sharing and hope to hear more wisdom 

Most of us are not worried about the short term effects. We are worried about long term effects.

Don't be pressured to take now because Sinovac might be approved anytime or Pfizer might run out or no longer free by end of the year. I'm sure if you are willing to pay private hospitals, they can get Pfizer for you.

I rather wait for more data tests to be done and data to be released. I don't want to be part of the sample size.

My female friends are even more worried about the possible birth defects to their offsprings.  

43 minutes ago, kidster said:

Had a discussion with my peers and reached a conclusion. Just sharing and hope to hear more wisdom 

Most of us are not worried about the short term effects. We are worried about long term effects.

Don't be pressured to take now because Sinovac might be approved anytime or Pfizer might run out or no longer free by end of the year. I'm sure if you are willing to pay private hospitals, they can get Pfizer for you.

I rather wait for more data tests to be done and data to be released. I don't want to be part of the sample size.

My female friends are even more worried about the possible birth defects to their offsprings.  

Ironically speaking perhaps, for those concerned about long term effects due to generic issues, Sinovac would be a safer choice as it is based on old vaccine technology with much better studied side effects. The Pfizer, Moderna etc are based on mRNA which is being used in vaccines for the 1st time - exciting technology but obviously no studies on long term effects (yet).

Almost analogous somewhat to GMO food and possible concerns which again not enough evidence yet (either way).

1 minute ago, ken99chia said:

Ironically speaking perhaps, for those concerned about long term effects due to generic issues, Sinovac would be a safer choice as it is based on old vaccine technology with much better studied side effects. The Pfizer, Moderna etc are based on mRNA which is being used in vaccines for the 1st time - exciting technology but obviously no studies on long term effects (yet).

Almost analogous somewhat to GMO food and possible concerns which again not enough evidence yet (either way).

I meant genetic issues, not generic.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, Guest guest said:

Say until so scary, like that might as well don't go take the vaccine? Haha.

Haha... ok there are many uncertainty, rumours said get Sinovac may improve your chinese. May be get ang mo vacine will modify your genetic to have ang mo big cock size 😜

Guest Real Six
On 3/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, Guest Juet said:

After vaccination, lasts 2 to 3 years.

I saw from somewhere it's going to be a yearly vaccination? 

Can't remember the source but I don't believe I've read it wrong 

Instead of scaring yourself, just read the facts. The side effects, what is known, what is unknown, are all published. Why the age limit, why the precaution against allergies, why the long term efficacy is not known. The size of the trials. Also look at the % of people reporting the side effects during the trials.

Read the FDA Decision Memorandum for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines:

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-covid-19-vaccine

You can even check how many people have been vaccinated in the world so far (updated daily)

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Based on all these, if there is no clinical reason not to be vaccinated, why stop/discourage the parents from taking the vaccine?

Of course all the above are logical arguments. If we want emotional arguments, well....

On 4/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, MNH said:

Vaccinated and proud. 

You should be.  At this point in the history of the Covid-19 vaccine it does make little sense to be too concerned about the "long term" effects.  Those who discovered and developed the mRNA procedure know much more about it and are not worried.  Instead they feel it is a revolutionary advance in medicine, able to condition our immune systems much more effectively than by older ways.  Imagine 80 years ago when penicillin came to be,  how worried people could have been,  to be injected with... a mold!  Who knows the penicillin "long term" effects!   Those who worried too much must have simply died of their infections!

Vaccination is not so urgent in Singapore since your level of infection is low.  But in America vaccination should be a must.  Over 100 millions of vaccinations have been done in the US without any alarms raised.  Data on vaccinated done more than 6 months ago don't reveal any medium-term effects.  Me and my family we have been vaccinated of course, but I cannot speak for you Singaporeans.  Hopefully you never have a shortage of vaccines when you want them.

Edited by Steve5380

I am so not sure about why a gay forum have so much apprehension. Our body already contains virus DNA fragments from other viruses. It's either getting infected with the actual virus or get a vaccine.

The risk is low in Singapore but don't expect to be able to step out of the country. Discrimination will be there after there is a good amount vaccinated against not vaccinated.

Know your own risk and lifestyle. Who knows, maybe in another year, like SARS or MERS or eblola, all dead already dead and the rest cannot spread. Nature finds a way. *que jurassic park music*

8 hours ago, konior said:

Instead of scaring yourself, just read the facts. The side effects, what is known, what is unknown, are all published. Why the age limit, why the precaution against allergies, why the long term efficacy is not known. The size of the trials. Also look at the % of people reporting the side effects during the trials.

Read the FDA Decision Memorandum for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines:

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-covid-19-vaccine

You can even check how many people have been vaccinated in the world so far (updated daily)

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Based on all these, if there is no clinical reason not to be vaccinated, why stop/discourage the parents from taking the vaccine?

Of course all the above are logical arguments. If we want emotional arguments, well....

Thank you! Good to see some sense being written here, especially compared to all the ‘I heard’ and ‘my friend said’ posts.

20 minutes ago, Guest Possible? said:

If the vaccination can also help people immune to HIV infection, it will be wonderful news.

Immunity occurs after the body is able to kill the virus. Till date, that has not happened yet.

The most promising is crispr where you find and cut the gene of the virus to change the way it attaches to human cells. It's like able to change your eye colour or make you taller etc but that don't know which year, if ethically approved.

26 minutes ago, oralb said:

One of the hot topics has been the choice of Vaccine, perhaps this video would change your mind

Good video. Given a choice, ppl naturally would prefer one with higher efficacy rate, and one where they trust the sources of data presented are comprehensive and accurate I guess. 

Edited by PlayersGroup

Guest reliable

Is there any reliable research on the Sinovac ?

If you google you don't find much on this one.

I read Singapore bought vaccine from Sinovac.

Guest options

Should I ask my elderly parents to vaccinate?

What options do you have?

1) your elderly parents get infected and die on Covid-19

2) Your elderly parents die on some other source of illness or from old age

So far the amount of decease from Covid vaccinations seem very low.

Which one do you want to chose?

Astra Zenica seems to have some issue.

The Russian and Chinese don't have so much info. for a laymen difficult to assess whether they work or not.

To have reservations about the safety of a vaccine like the Pfizer and Moderna because it was developed so fast makes a lot of sense.  

Science is evolving very rapidly.  We usually have no idea of what is going on in medical, biological labs.  For example, the mRNA technology is new to all of us and why assume that it is safe?  But when we hear that there is a revolution going on in vaccine technology we should lay some of our doubts to rest and embrace a hope that we are entering a new era.   This should be enough to decide that to get vaccinated is the right thing to do,  and therefore help our elders to have it done.

Today  Sunday April 11 there is a very interesting segment of the TV program 60 minutes,  "Military programs aiming to end pandemics forever"   I watched this program this evening, and I found the video of this segment here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/last-pandemic-science-military-60-minutes-2021-04-11/

I don't take science fiction seriously,  but this episode made me brink with optimism.  Not only the hope that pandemics may soon be something of the past, but seeing other projects that may advance medicine much further.  Having reached an age of "life expectancy",  now I can hope to live several decades longer  :) 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Guest Henrik said:

Is it?

I mean, if you want the global pandemic to end, then one way is for as many people to be vaccinated as possible. So yeah.

If you are enjoying life now with all the restrictions, increased death rates and risk to vulnerable members of the community, then don’t bother with it. 

Why do you ask? 

Technically it is not compulsory.

it won’t be against the law if you refuse to be vaccinated.

But once most people have been vaccinated, those without vaccination could face more inconveniences, that’s all.

The latter could be related to travel across borders, but there have been no firm policies yet - possible that different jurisdictions may apply different rules e.g. country A only admits those vaccinated, while Country B also allows unvaccinated (but with PCR tests and quarantine).

Within SG, those unvaccinated may also be required to do more tests pre-event if attending large scale events, for example.

Guest Booster
1 hour ago, ken99chia said:

Technically it is not compulsory.

it won’t be against the law if you refuse to be vaccinated.

But once most people have been vaccinated, those without vaccination could face more inconveniences, that’s all.

The latter could be related to travel across borders, but there have been no firm policies yet - possible that different jurisdictions may apply different rules e.g. country A only admits those vaccinated, while Country B also allows unvaccinated (but with PCR tests and quarantine).

Within SG, those unvaccinated may also be required to do more tests pre-event if attending large scale events, for example.

But now they say those vaccinated may need booster dose. 

It's never ending. Cause so many variants come out.. 

Guest Guest

According to latest news the border worker at Auckland today had been vaccinated fully 6 weeks ago yet he was discovered positive today.

Not much hope for so called travel bubble lasting .

46 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

According to latest news the border worker at Auckland today had been vaccinated fully 6 weeks ago yet he was discovered positive today.

Not much hope for so called travel bubble lasting .

Please read up before making these misinformed statements.

Nobody ever said vaccine gives 100% protection from ever being infected. Vaccine may transmission risk and reduces severity of symptoms and risk of complications from infection. 

Read the information from MOH that is freely available and has been for months now. 

2 hours ago, Guest Booster said:

But now they say those vaccinated may need booster dose. 

It's never ending. Cause so many variants come out.. 

Same as for flu then 

Guest Guest

To WTF.  Yet again a continuation of the dribble you post.  Read and assimilate the news reports on major media outlets that contact tracing is now underway in Auckland to limit yet another potential outbreak and ascertain why the vaccine is limited in effectiveness.

I think we have all had enough of your sledging and negativity.

33 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

To WTF.  Yet again a continuation of the dribble you post.  Read and assimilate the news reports on major media outlets that contact tracing is now underway in Auckland to limit yet another potential outbreak and ascertain why the vaccine is limited in effectiveness.

Oh, when did we talk before? Thanks for paying attention!

Not sure how telling people to read facts and avoid speculating about things they know nothing about is negativity but there you go...

😆 

41 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Please do share a link where the NZ government says what you think they said.

Jacinda Arden actually says “We entirely expect that people who are vaccinated will still get Covid-19, it just means that they will not get sick and they will not die.” And no indication is given by Australia or New Zealand that this will affect their bubble. 

Nowhere is ‘limited effectiveness of the vaccine’ mentioned. Please share your sources. 

• G_M changed the title to Vaccination Discussion + Should I ask my elderly parents to vaccinate? + All Singapore residents to be vaccinated (compiled)
2 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Free one just take, who knows the situation may get worse soon,  it really make no sense for me to close border with Malaysia that has thousand of cases daily but then open door big big for India that has hundreds of thousand with new mutant variant somemore. 

SG govt loves Ceca, that's why

Cannot do without them at all cost

• G_M locked this topic