Male HQ

iPad Pro 2021

Well, it depends what are you going to do with it. I think for work work, you're better off with an M1 MBP or MBA or even the new iMac. 

I hd both the first and 2nd gen iPad Pros, and to be honest, I use it for taking notes, consuming media, and playing games mostly. Very little work was done on it.  So the new iPad Pro has little incentive for me, plus I got the new iPad Air a couple months ago. 

Love. 

Guest Doodler

I’m still using 3rd Gen, very tempted to sell and get the M1 chip iPadpro cos the app I’m using for doodling has posted quite significant improvements.

10 hours ago, doncoin said:

Well, it depends what are you going to do with it. I think for work work, you're better off with an M1 MBP or MBA or even the new iMac. 

I hd both the first and 2nd gen iPad Pros, and to be honest, I use it for taking notes, consuming media, and playing games mostly. Very little work was done on it.  So the new iPad Pro has little incentive for me, plus I got the new iPad Air a couple months ago. 

I'm much fascinated by the combination of Apple Pencil and Procreate, an drawing app. 

Not a professional artist here, but just want to start a new hobby with digital art. Expensive taste, eh?

Been reading some reviews, they are generally positive, so want to gather more info from the community here.

9 hours ago, Guest Doodler said:

I’m still using 3rd Gen, very tempted to sell and get the M1 chip iPadpro cos the app I’m using for doodling has posted quite significant improvements.

I do not have one, that's why I'm so tempted. 

I assume you are using Apple Pencil + Procreate + Paperlike (for the screen), right?

How's the experience so far?

12 hours ago, Half-Boiled said:

I'm much fascinated by the combination of Apple Pencil and Procreate, an drawing app. 

Not a professional artist here, but just want to start a new hobby with digital art. Expensive taste, eh?

Been reading some reviews, they are generally positive, so want to gather more info from the community here.

12 hours ago, Half-Boiled said:

I assume you are using Apple Pencil + Procreate + Paperlike (for the screen), right?

The late 2020 iPad Air supports the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. It is pretty fast and responsive. Like you, while i use it for notetaking, i also doodle when I get bored. 

Yes, I have the Paperlike screen film. It adds some resistance to the screen which makes it better with Apple Pencil. 

So, if you are planning to get the iPad Pro, and for drawing purposes, why not get the previous generation? It is on discount now that the new M1 version is out. Unless of course, money is not the issue. Then get the bigger iPad Pro. 

Love. 

Guest Doodler
15 hours ago, Half-Boiled said:

Unbeatable I find, if you’re a digital painter, and I am also a long time wacom user. Portability, price and battery life also surpass wacom’s msp. Wacom also has a lot of issues with drivers, Windows patches and updates. iPadpro is easy and also doesn’t take long to get use to the pencil on screen.

The limitation for me wrt Procreate has always been the restriction on layers on large canvases, as I use lots for future corrections if necessary, otherwise I end up splitting canvases. With this release it’ll increase layering, M1 chip will also enable 3D painting for Procreate, now we just need Zbrush to make the leap to iPadpro.

Adobe Fresco also has some interesting painting tools and is easy to cross over with Procreate using the psd extension import/export.

2 hours ago, doncoin said:

The late 2020 iPad Air supports the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. It is pretty fast and responsive. Like you, while i use it for notetaking, i also doodle when I get bored. 

Yes, I have the Paperlike screen film. It adds some resistance to the screen which makes it better with Apple Pencil. 

So, if you are planning to get the iPad Pro, and for drawing purposes, why not get the previous generation? It is on discount now that the new M1 version is out. Unless of course, money is not the issue. Then get the bigger iPad Pro. 

Procreate is going to update a new version which allows 3D-painting, so I assume it requires powerful engines to run it.

I think iPad Pro is likely to be able to cope with the ever-evolving technology in the long run. 

Unless I'm filthy rich, I tend to be careful with my spending. 😛 

22 minutes ago, Guest Doodler said:

Unbeatable I find, if you’re a digital painter, and I am also a long time wacom user. Portability, price and battery life also surpass wacom’s msp. Wacom also has a lot of issues with drivers, Windows patches and updates. iPadpro is easy and also doesn’t take long to get use to the pencil on screen.

The limitation for me wrt Procreate has always been the restriction on layers on large canvases, as I use lots for future corrections if necessary, otherwise I end up splitting canvases. With this release it’ll increase layering, M1 chip will also enable 3D painting for Procreate, now we just need Zbrush to make the leap to iPadpro.

Adobe Fresco also has some interesting painting tools and is easy to cross over with Procreate using the psd extension import/export.

Oh wow! I guess you are an illustrator by profession.

Yes, I was actually considering wacom too, but somehow I find that it is not as good as Apple products. 

The 3D painting in Procreate is another reason why I will go for iPad Pro. As I am not using it for work, I think I will be fine with the layers. 

The only limitation for Procreate is its animation feature, but the app is not built for that purpose in the first place. 

Adobe products requires monthly subscription fees, so I will only consider them next time when I master Procreate like a pro. 🤩

Guest Doodler
14 hours ago, Half-Boiled said:

Oh wow! I guess you are an illustrator by profession.

Yes, I was actually considering wacom too, but somehow I find that it is not as good as Apple products. 

The 3D painting in Procreate is another reason why I will go for iPad Pro. As I am not using it for work, I think I will be fine with the layers. 

The only limitation for Procreate is its animation feature, but the app is not built for that purpose in the first place. 

Adobe products requires monthly subscription fees, so I will only consider them next time when I master Procreate like a pro. 🤩

Not my profession but a very dedicated hobbyist. I may try out the animation features, probably still quite basic for now. I got onto Procreate quite early, so paid a very low price for it and all the upgrades are free so far, never regretted the decision.

Can follow some IGs like procreate.tips, procreatetricks, they post some interesting ways of using the app. 

Currently Fresco don't need a subscription to use unless for some more complex function, still good to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, Guest Doodler said:

Not my profession but a very dedicated hobbyist. I may try out the animation features, probably still quite basic for now. I got onto Procreate quite early, so paid a very low price for it and all the upgrades are free so far, never regretted the decision.

Can follow some IGs like procreate.tips, procreatetricks, they post some interesting ways of using the app. 

Currently Fresco don't need a subscription to use unless for some more complex function, still good to try out.

That's a very cool hobby right? haha

By the way, where did you buy Paperlike? from their website?

Also, how often do you replace the Apple Pencil tip?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.