Male HQ

Macbook Pro 14

Vinc

On 10/31/2021 at 12:30 PM, steelwings said:

it is too much. just get a 13" MacBook Air.

Most Mac generally don't last more than 5-6 years, they are not as durable imo 

Not true, even if you bought the infamous 2016-2020 versions of MacBooks. The older ones are definitely hardy and I'm still seeing many rocking them in study places like cafes and libraries. They also hold their value pretty well in the second hand market which is indicate to the public's view that they're pretty long-lasting. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:36 AM, doncoin said:

Unless you plan to edit 4k videos or use Lightroom on a daily basis, then the 14" MBP is a good start. If not, the 13" M1 is decent or the Air. 

Actually, even the M1 MacBook Pro and Air can easily handle 4K video editing in Adobe Premiere, Da Vinci Resolve, and Final Cut Pro. Either way though, between M1 Air and M1 Pro, they're both good enough for day to day activities. 

Extremely long battery life and a power-efficient processor that can handle almost anything you throw at it (day to day of course!)

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:09 AM, Vinc said:

Hi would like to mnow if mac pro 14 good for d2d activities?

I'm using my 13" Macbook Pro 2014 model. 7 years and counting.  Battery starts to die this year but still handing on.

I have 2 more Macbooks at home for sale. Comes with MagSafe adaptor which new models don't have.

1. 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 512GB 2.8 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 16GB DDR3L SDRAM (Brand New in a box since 2014)
  2. 13-inch MacBook Air 512GB 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 8GB LPDDR3 onboard memory (Pre-loved but very very seldom used)

PM me if you are interested. Serious buyer only. Cannot pay in kind.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rhyn said:

Not true, even if you bought the infamous 2016-2020 versions of MacBooks. The older ones are definitely hardy and I'm still seeing many rocking them in study places like cafes and libraries. They also hold their value pretty well in the second hand market which is indicate to the public's view that they're pretty long-lasting. 

Hmm.

Based on my experience with my MBP 2016 version, mine is dying. It is aging very graceful but it is not holding up as much as I would like it to. Not sure what u meant by hardy? I don't categorise using them at cafe, library to study as much of a good indication of functionality, usability or even capability. You need to put your MBP to industry tests to see if it is really that durable. I use mine intensively on a d2d, close to 10 hours, it is just OK. Not disappointing but nothing to shout about either because I literally paid close to $3000 (+$400 AppleCare, Total of $3600) for it years ago. My review after close to 5 years, it would only be a 6.9 out of 10. Not totally impressed by its battery, as we all know how faulty that battery is. So, I am just saying do not be deceived by its hardy appearance and overwhelming hard-selling marketing tactics.

I've never gotten a second hand MBP before, I find that extremely risky and you could potentially be shortchanging yourself in many ways. I have no idea how much it would cost in these resale markets, but we should not be using that as a benchmark to gauge its worth. There are so many factors coming into play over such a situation. It could simply be a rip-off for someone totally new to Apple's products. Not encouraged to do that leh. 

It is mostly school students who hasn't even start to earn much money who go to these cafes to do revision so what I'm sayin' is he doesn't need to get a MBP. It's a waste of money and device when his core purpose is just to open up files, play games, music and surf the net. Even if he has spare cash to spend, don't you agree he be better to use that extra cash to get himself nice wireless AirPods or even a dongle for USB-C ports, instead. Plus, 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro ranges from S$2999 to S$3749. Ridiculously pricy just to do what he intend his laptop to do. Such models are meant to complement intensive Adobe applications – for design, video editing, animations, Photoshop imaging etc. Mostly importantly, he specifically asked about getting "mac pro 14" and not MBP (2016 version). That is why I recommended him a MacBook Air instead. 

Sorry I am being long winded, just happened to be using Macintosh since 1994. I was a passionate user and lover of the brand who's lately been rather disappointed and definitely will cancel my love in a heartbeat if another better option comes along. So, these are my honest opinion with the sole objective of making your product serve its buyer and not the other way round. Just sharing lah huh. You're most entitled to ya own opinion. 

😎

On 11/1/2021 at 11:16 PM, steelwings said:

Hmm.

Based on my experience with my MBP 2016 version, mine is dying. It is aging very graceful but it is not holding up as much as I would like it to. Not sure what u meant by hardy? I don't categorise using them at cafe, library to study as much of a good indication of functionality, usability or even capability. You need to put your MBP to industry tests to see if it is really that durable. I use mine intensively on a d2d, close to 10 hours, it is just OK. Not disappointing but nothing to shout about either because I literally paid close to $3000 (+$400 AppleCare, Total of $3600) for it years ago. My review after close to 5 years, it would only be a 6.9 out of 10. Not totally impressed by its battery, as we all know how faulty that battery is. So, I am just saying do not be deceived by its hardy appearance and overwhelming hard-selling marketing tactics.

I've never gotten a second hand MBP before, I find that extremely risky and you could potentially be shortchanging yourself in many ways. I have no idea how much it would cost in these resale markets, but we should not be using that as a benchmark to gauge its worth. There are so many factors coming into play over such a situation. It could simply be a rip-off for someone totally new to Apple's products. Not encouraged to do that leh. 

It is mostly school students who hasn't even start to earn much money who go to these cafes to do revision so what I'm sayin' is he doesn't need to get a MBP. It's a waste of money and device when his core purpose is just to open up files, play games, music and surf the net. Even if he has spare cash to spend, don't you agree he be better to use that extra cash to get himself nice wireless AirPods or even a dongle for USB-C ports, instead. Plus, 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro ranges from S$2999 to S$3749. Ridiculously pricy just to do what he intend his laptop to do. Such models are meant to complement intensive Adobe applications – for design, video editing, animations, Photoshop imaging etc. Mostly importantly, he specifically asked about getting "mac pro 14" and not MBP (2016 version). That is why I recommended him a MacBook Air instead. 

Sorry I am being long winded, just happened to be using Macintosh since 1994. I was a passionate user and lover of the brand who's lately been rather disappointed and definitely will cancel my love in a heartbeat if another better option comes along. So, these are my honest opinion with the sole objective of making your product serve its buyer and not the other way round. Just sharing lah huh. You're most entitled to ya own opinion. 

😎

If you’re still using your MBP 2016 till today, which is five years, that’s really great for the environment of not needing to buy new stuff because it still serves you well. I’m not sure if you’re using the 13” or 15” MacBook Pro but the battery is replaceable and it can extend the lifespan of your device. Moreover, MacBooks still receiving major updates that offer additional functionality. On average, most Windows laptops aren’t held as long as MacBooks for reasons like build quality or slow downs or whatever the case may be. 

Also, it’s not exactly Apple’s fault that the performance of the laptops were bad. They were at fault when they released the God-awful butterfly keyboard with so many issues and horrible typing experience and the thin form factor could barely cool the barely-innovating Intel that captured a majority market share when AMD was still trying to play catch-up. Had Intel continued innovating and produce better processors, maybe Apple wouldn’t have seriously considered switching to their in-house ARM processors. 

Battery is a universal problem- whether it’s Apple’s laptops or Tesla’s battery pack, lithium batteries have reached their peak optimisations and the unfortunate truth is that it’s not their fault if battery degrade; that’s the reality. Moreover, Intel’s lack of improvements over performance or efficiency also kneecaps battery life and longevity. That’s where they aren’t exactly at fault. 

Resale markets are fine- it’s better for people that need the device and don’t want to spend a premium on it. Sometimes, there really isn’t a need to buy new stuff if the older models work. There’s always a risk with buying anything, whether it’s first or second hand. A poor quality-controlled first hand product could fair worse than a high-quality controlled second hand device- there’s two ways around it. And if you’re looking to save some money, then wouldn’t it be wise to do market research on first and second hand prices too? 

I’ll also like to clarify this: I initially recommended the M1 MacBook Pro and Air and that has not changed, but I’m not sure if you’re aware that there are two models of M1 laptops: the 13” MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. And yeah, it doesn’t make financial sense for him to get the 14”, let alone anything above. But in any case, the M1 processor (not the Pro or Max) is decently powerful enough to edit videos and will chew through most tasks easily. 

As a reviewer, I don’t take any and all brands’ marketing spiel as gospel- it is important to gather independent data from trusted, third-party sources and my own tests and observations to obtain objective data that is meant for consumers. As I said earlier, the 2016 to 2020 MacBook Pros were terrible, but the ones equipped with M1 processors are truly game-changing and will bring about innovation and disruption for many years to come. You should look up some reviews on them if you haven’t, they’re really great value!

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.