Male HQ

Health supplements that doctors would use themselves

Guest Curious

Guest Curious

Just wondering if any doctors here can share what health supplements they would use themselves, as in would buy for their own consumption and not just for recommendation because of their affiliation to the health supplement vendors. Thanks.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:23 PM, Guest Curious said:

Just wondering if any doctors here can share what health supplements they would use themselves, as in would buy for their own consumption and not just for recommendation because of their affiliation to the health supplement vendors. Thanks.

I would take omega3 + virgin coconut oil, and a B-complex/C tablet. Any reputable brand is fine except mlm and anything from China.

Guest Curious
On 11/29/2021 at 2:52 PM, Guest Guest said:

I would take omega3 + virgin coconut oil, and a B-complex/C tablet. Any reputable brand is fine except mlm and anything from China.

What about coenzyme Q10? I'm in my 40s and used to be healthy (or so I think) but lately have been facing one health issue after another, so frustrating! Really hoping for a one size fits all supplement that can address all the concerns of ageing...

On 11/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Guest Curious said:

What about coenzyme Q10? I'm in my 40s and used to be healthy (or so I think) but lately have been facing one health issue after another, so frustrating! Really hoping for a one size fits all supplement that can address all the concerns of ageing...

there is not a magic pill that can address all the concerns of ageing.

To maintain health, this is a mix of diet/nutrition, exercise, sleep, mental health etc. and you will still have to deal with concerns of ageing - it’s part of life to get older but and you can optimise to be the healthiest you possible at any age. 

As a basis. I agree with the other response about omega 3. Add on a good multivitamin and a probiotic and you’re basically good to go if you combine this with a balanced diet. You can then add additional supplements for specific concerns as needed.

Guest Curious
On 11/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, Guest Wtf said:

there is not a magic pill that can address all the concerns of ageing.

To maintain health, this is a mix of diet/nutrition, exercise, sleep, mental health etc. and you will still have to deal with concerns of ageing - it’s part of life to get older but and you can optimise to be the healthiest you possible at any age. 

As a basis. I agree with the other response about omega 3. Add on a good multivitamin and a probiotic and you’re basically good to go if you combine this with a balanced diet. You can then add additional supplements for specific concerns as needed.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into getting those supplements recommended. Diet/nutrition is such a challenge in Singapore with so many yummy food easily available. Because of Covid, I put on close to 10kg in the short span of 2 years! Work stress also doesn't help. Once I FIRE, I have to start addressing all these health issues one by one.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question is, whether you would "trust" someone who posts as a "Guest", without that person really revealing if he is a qualified doctor, and if so, what specialty? I am not a medical doctor, but so much of the modern "supplement" industry, is just based on marketing.

Do realise that the supplements sold in the US, for example, are not really regulated, like what is done for medications. So, actual efficacy, concentrations and impurities can just not be declared.

Also, if you eat a good, balanced diet, what sort of supplementation would you need? Supplements only mean that there is something you lack in your diet, that needs to be made-up for by taking that supplement. If you realise that you lack Fish Oil, for example, why not eat more oily fish?

Слава Україні!

I am not a doctor, but here are some supplements I am taking:

1. Turmeric

- a host of purported benefits: https://www.singlecare.com/blog/turmeric-benefits/

My experience: I take it mainly for its anti-inflammatory properties; I do seem to experience less muscle soreness (DOMS) after a workout.

2. Ashwagandha

- soothes stress 

- helps with sleep quality

- boosts testosterone slightly

My experience: the effects are quite mild for me; maybe I will increase the dosage or switch to a more concentrated extract 

3. Collagen

- skin, hair and nails

- joint 

My experience: I just started not too long ago. Joints do feel better, but I am not sure if it's due to the collagen supplementation. No visible effect on skin, hair and nails as yet.

4. Creatine

- improves performance in gym and sports

- cognitive benefits

My experience: I do experience slight improvement in sport performance. 

Edited by Derren

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.