Jump to content
Male HQ

What is your most favorite branch of science and why?


Guest Pooh
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoy doing 

Microbiology 😍

The way a bacteria grows is just magnificent & being able to see it under the microscope is wonderful, 

Not to mentioned All the lab works 

&

Food Science, 😍

Becos it teaches me so many new and interesting facts & findings about food that u can't get just by being a foodie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

As an electrical engineer with advanced studies of electro-optics  I have always applied the very important science physics.

 

But now that I am beyond having a profession,  all sciences appeal to me.  As such I worship the human activity of science:  "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chemist by training, but have delved in all manner of physical sciences, as well as medical sciences. Would say that Chemistry is still my first love, although I wouldn't shut out any of the sciences. Even did courses in Nuclear Sciences!

 

As to why I like Chemistry? Perhaps because it is more tangible than the more abstract sciences like Physics. Love the lab work, although so much of what I did was pretty toxic!

Edited by sgmaven

Слава Україні!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 1:28 PM, sgmaven said:

 

As to why I like Chemistry? Perhaps because it is more tangible than the more abstract sciences like Physics. Love the lab work, although so much of what I did was pretty toxic!

 

 

Want something more tangible than the Newton laws of physics,  the apple released from the Tower of Pisa moving DOWN,  with constant acceleration?   Or the diffraction of light by a prism?

 

My only practice of chemistry I do in my kitchen,  cooking my food.  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 2:57 AM, Steve5380 said:

Want something more tangible than the Newton laws of physics,  the apple released from the Tower of Pisa moving DOWN,  with constant acceleration?   Or the diffraction of light by a prism?

Yes, but I doubt there are many "tangible" examples like that for research projects in grad school...

Слава Україні!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 2:01 PM, sgmaven said:

Yes, but I doubt there are many "tangible" examples like that for research projects in grad school...

 

There are many very tangible experiments of electricity and magnetism and electromagnetism and optics and radiation, all fields of physics,  not only for research projects in grad school but also for lab projects in high schools.  What is not common in projects of physics but frequent in projects of chemistry is...  the smell!  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 4:33 AM, Steve5380 said:

 

There are many very tangible experiments of electricity and magnetism and electromagnetism and optics and radiation, all fields of physics,  not only for research projects in grad school but also for lab projects in high schools.  What is not common in projects of physics but frequent in projects of chemistry is...  the smell!  :lol:

I guess it really depends on what you consider a combination of "exciting" and "tangible". There are a lot of things that are tangible, but not very "exciting" to me. Pointing a few lasers through materials to see what happens, for example, does not interest me at all. Even in Chemistry, one can say that spending all the time in the lab, "cooking" up something, without any visible changes seems a bit boring to me. The colour changes, crystals forming, etc, are much more up my alley. As for the smell, perhaps you never used fume hoods? 😂

Слава Україні!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Try and see

Astronomy and marine biology.

No particular reason; have always found outer space and the ocean fascinating ever since I was a kid.

 

165948a6fdb2a0fd97d888db2b77ae10.jpg

 

db1a72928cd092e3458f0db98bd78504.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biology is the only branch of science that intrigues me. The study of Flora and Fauna, each creation is unique with its own supporting system. 

 

When I am in bed with him, the study of Anatomy comes to life. I would stimulate various parts and observe his responses 😄 

 

Stereotyping view that boys are into Physics and girls are into Chemistry and what about Biology? I leave it to your imagination ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest YAWN!!!!!
On 8/1/2022 at 2:22 AM, Steve5380 said:

As an electrical engineer with advanced studies of electro-optics  I have always applied the very important science physics.

 

But now that I am beyond having a profession,  all sciences appeal to me.  As such I worship the human activity of science:  "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

Please amuse me with something else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MC22

Particle Physics. 

Be at the forefront of human knowledge. Go where humanity have not ventured. 

 

Everybody says it's very abstract and tough. 

They used to say that for electricity like it's black magic.

But now we take electricity for granted.

 Smartphones, electric cars, computers would be voodoo 100 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any sciences. 

 

They cant explain everything. But it

... saves us (vaccines, medicines)

... comforts us (air cond, tap for water)

... connects us (flights, videochats)

... nourishes us (fridge for storage, import of exotic food)

... protects us (biological basis for gender studies, weapons)

Edited by auscent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 4:11 AM, Guest MC22 said:

 

Particle Physics. 

Be at the forefront of human knowledge. Go where humanity have not ventured. 

 

 

Particle physics seems to deal with things that are so small...   all little pieces...

 

Astronomy deals with objects that are larger,  and it constantly pushes the limits of physics, with the help of some chemistry.

 

But...  why seek the extremes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
counter