Male HQ

Gaming laptop/desktop to recommend

Chubby_Zul

Sorry if this question have been asked but I did try a search here but nothing came up.

So the question is, any good gaming laptop/desktop to recommend? My budget it somewhere below 2.5K maybe max 3k.

I know nothing about the latest graphic card, motherboard and etc..

I am currently using a ASUS ROG gaming laptop which I bought like maybe 4 years back. Now start to lag due to higher specs needed by games. I was using a laptop because that time I was living with my in-laws and no where to put a desktop. And I need to be mobile because I carry it to work, to the library and school back then. Now I got a place of my own, so maybe I'm thinking to get a desktop but still contemplating.

I usually play games like 4X (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate), turn-based and real-time strategy games which I think dun use too much memory and stuff, right? Like I said I got no IT background and I have below basic understanding of RAMs and etc.

HD space not so important lah as now got stuff like external HD, google drive and etc. Sound card also not so important as long got sound, im happy. No need surround sounds and those fancy² stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chubby_Zul
additional info added

TLDR : You can consider any of the following

Dell G15 / G17 'budget' gaming notebooks. within sub 2k - 4K 

Asus TUF 2022 series around 2.4k 

My method is to start with a budget and give as much detail as possible in your usage style and gaming style for others to chip in. Cos no point for one to recommend something like an MSI GT77 which is one of the top gaming notebooks but will set you back $8k or an Alienware X17 for around $4k.

Looking at your games, it doesn't look like very demanding, but to be exact you should tell us the most processing demanding power you are going to use (Are there many RTS today?). I am gonna give u my gauge based on my games I play on MY laptop which is NOT the latest, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Killer Instinct, Genshin Impact and Granado Espada. I am currently using Asus Flow X13 with 512Gb SSD and 16Gb Ram and Nvdia 1650 which runs perfectly fine on 1080P with High graphics setting. 4k is not good. 

Do also consider 'future proofing' your gaming style in the future in case new games that you like come out. 

If you have money to burn - i think Alienware was having a promo for the M15 with GT 3080 at about 4100 - 4300. 

Processor - min i5 Gen12, i am not very familiar with the current ryzen series i think at least a 7 series. 

Ram - min 8Gb 

HDD - Min 256, try to go for 512

Edit note; i do not and cannot play FPS games. 

Edited by Behrhunter

Thank for the reply. Well I usually play games like X-com series, AoE series, battlefield series, World of tanks/warship, and total war series, to name a few. Future proofing is better with desktop right. Sorry if im wrong. At least u can upgrade RAMs, graphic cards and etc?

Thanks a lot for the info. Appreciate it.

Edited by Chubby_Zul

yeah .. of cos if u want lots of future proof then desktop is the way .. but my way of 'future proofing' notebooks are by going for the slightly better spec within my budget. Eg. if i need gtx 3050 .. i will see if i can get 3060. So that newer games that come out might still be able to run under lower or normal graphic settings. 

Usually non ultra portables, instead of being soldered on the board will have some form of upgradability - SSD especially, i find that this spoils most frequently as a gamer, ram (so far I never needed to, prior to my current laptop i was gaming using my Surface Pro 1 😂). Apart from that nothing much you can do unless you get an eGPU which is a different topic altogether. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.