Male HQ

Wine Knowledge

Guest help

just wanna pick up some basic knowledge about wine. anyone wanna share it with ppl like me who know nothing about wine.

how to read the label?

how to differential between red and white wine.

wtf is the library for?

Wtf? what u talking about? Just because u went Australia that one time doesnt make u a wine expert!

The most basic guidelines for u to know is red wine goes with red meat, white wine goes with white meat, but not really necessary. If they give u a few options but u r clueless, ask them which one is the more fruitier one, assuming u wont want something dry or bitter. Try NOT to do the step-by-step drinking style like how to hold and rotate the glass, sniffing and gargling and stuff because u r not in a movie and it will only look pretentious cos 80% of wine drinker out there cant really tell the difference between a 20 or 2000 dollar wine. This is what i know cos im not an expert.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

The most basic guidelines for u to know is red wine goes with red meat, white wine goes with white meat, but not really necessary. If they give u a few options but u r clueless, ask them which one is the more fruitier one, assuming u wont want something dry or bitter. Try NOT to do the step-by-step drinking style like how to hold and rotate the glass, sniffing and gargling and stuff because u r not in a movie and it will only look pretentious cos 80% of wine drinker out there cant really tell the difference between a 20 or 2000 dollar wine. This is what i know cos im not an expert.

Quite the contrary, really. If you are seriously into drinking wine, those steps really help you differentiate the different kinds of reds and whites. At one look it's just a different color, but at closer inspection you will realize that some are more dense than the other, or the shade is different. Different varieties smell different even though they look the same. You don't actually gargle but coat your mouth with it to let every part of your taste senses experience the tiny differences between the wine.

It's not pretentious at all, really. This whole process helps you to appreciate the tiniest naunces and accents you find in each bottle.

You will not learn much by just reading and it does not happen overnight. Go out with friends who drink and slowly you will you will learn to appreciate the different kinds of wine and find one that you like (almost like dating :D )

Have fun, enjoy resposibly, and let me know if you have any questions.

If you have to assk, I used to be a sommerlier.....

if you really wanna go into wine, take this piece of advice a very good friend gave me.

Wine appreciation is the most ruthless, heartless, and unfaithful skill to learn. Once you tasted a 'higher' level of wine, you can't go back down (easily)... and your years of love with one wine will be unsurped by just one tasting of a superior quality... or year...

He also said the Aussie wines will all taste the same... becos they will add sugar or vinegar to 'balance the taste and get a generic quality year to year... dunno how true is this... but if it is true... Aussie wines are best for those who are not really into wine but want to get wasted (drunk) on wine and cheese, or wine and cigar, or wine and meats, or deserts...

Maybe is fanatic... only French, and only Bordeux region... but that makes him spectacular in the speciality... and he can get pass the blind taste test...

and ... to his credit, he has spoilt my palette for ever... and damn if i could afford his standard of wine off the shelf... (just think Les Armes extreme select labels... Bordeux of course)

and yes I would love to go wine & cheese tasting... (just to get drunk hahahaha... and FAT)

Guest here's how
how to read the label?

how to differential between red and white wine.

You read the label by looking at the words and making sense of the combination of alphabets. The most basic difference between red and white wine is the colour.

Anyone tried Long Flat Muscato?

it's on offer from NTUC Fairprice. It's a sweet desert wine. quite fruity.

Cheep... under $18 per bottle. Good to use it to entertain non-wine connoseur guests...

I think Browne Brother's Moscato, Zibbibo, Tarragon or Cienna makes better choices.

I think Browne Brother's Moscato, Zibbibo, Tarragon or Cienna makes better choices.

If you add a bit more money, you can get some really good quality German Rieslings for about S$30-S$40something. If you like them a tinge sweet, go for something that says 'Spatlese'. 'Auselse' may be a bit too sweet for most food, but does really well for deserts though it is not exactly a desert wine. Any vintage from 2001 to 2007 are fine to drink right now. Mostly available at Magma at Bukit Pasoh or Beautiful Wines at The Plaza, Beach Road.

those sub $22 per bottle wines are good for entertaining guests who are not really into wine, yet give them a nice tasting session where it's sweet and fruity.

personally i prefer heavy Pinot and decantored ports...

and real desert wines such as Sultana...

Long Flat or Brown Brothers Red or White Muscato is nice for casual, non wine tasters after dinner sweet... just to get the after taste of the dinner fish drowned...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have much knowledge about wine but here is some information I would like to share and ask :

- When buying wine, I always look at the year of product, older then more expensive then of course the taste will be better (it is own opinion).

- I prefer red wine because white wine taste like Champagne :D

- Red wine for me best is from Italy, then Spanish and Portugal. The normal good wine is very cheap there (less than 10 S$).

- The Cheapest Red wine if I need to buy from Duty free is always around 30 S$ (so expensive), anyone know where is red wine store in Singapore ? :)

- In Argentina, the local people there drink wine in meal mixed with gas water (like soda), it is so funny to me. You never get drunk but easy to fart :yuk:

Edited by castaway

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.