Male HQ

Passive income

YiT

All my income is passive.  After I retired I don't have any "earned" income.   I don't count on trading for much of my passive income, some of which is from dividends.

My main source of income is my pension from the company I worked for all my life, and from Social Security.  Second to these are the interests I receive from many CDs (certificates of deposit).  But being a frugal person, I never get to spend all my (passive) income.                                       

13 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

All my income is passive.  After I retired I don't have any "earned" income.   I don't count on trading for much of my passive income, some of which is from dividends.

My main source of income is my pension from the company I worked for all my life, and from Social Security.  Second to these are the interests I receive from many CDs (certificates of deposit).  But being a frugal person, I never get to spend all my (passive) income.                                       

Pension from company?? Hmm...I didn't know pension still exist.

Guest guest

Rental is the best. My colleagues who renting out their flat for many many years, save up lots of money and one of them even can buy a condo eventually from the rental earned.

2 hours ago, YiT said:

Money is never enough. And given the higher cost of living,I believe many are thinking of ways to grow their pot of gold. 

I just begin to trade. What's yours?

can trading stock consider passive income? as this is not something fixed hence call passive income. in trading some day you make good money someday you lose 

mine will be rental income and fixed deposit interest

Guest Guest
6 hours ago, YiT said:

you can ignore input from this chao angmoh cos he likes to speak in US context which is totally irrelevant here.

8 hours ago, YiT said:

The company from which I retired does not offer a pension anymore.  But I retired 24 years ago,  and at that time they were the norm, and I was "grandfathered".  So for 24 years I have been receiving the money every month,  and hopefully for many more years.  

Guest Irrelevant. Again.
4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

The company from which I retired does not offer a pension anymore.  But I retired 24 years ago,  and at that time they were the norm, and I was "grandfathered".  So for 24 years I have been receiving the money every month,  and hopefully for many more years.  

you know you are posting on a Singapore forum? Why not post on topics where you have something relevant to add and stay out of those where you add nothing of value to other users and just endlessly talk about yourself? 

2 hours ago, Guest Irrelevant. Again. said:

you know you are posting on a Singapore forum? Why not post on topics where you have something relevant to add and stay out of those where you add nothing of value to other users and just endlessly talk about yourself? 

The TS asked:  "I just begin to trade. What's yours?"  And I answered his question.

YOUR post is completely irrelevant.  And not only irrelevant but it shows that you are also malevolent criticizing others.   Instead, you should have posted about YOUR passive income.  But given your attitude you may not have any income because...  you are completely passive! 

Guest Irrelevant. Again,
13 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

The TS asked:  "I just begin to trade. What's yours?"  And I answered his question.

YOUR post is completely irrelevant.  And not only irrelevant but it shows that you are also malevolent criticizing others.   Instead, you should have posted about YOUR passive income.  But given your attitude you may not have any income because...  you are completely passive! 

TS asked on a Singapore forum, so was probably hoping for answers that would be relevant in a Singapore context. Nowhere do I see that he asked you specifically for your input.

another topic derailed by you… 

17 hours ago, YiT said:

Money is never enough. And given the higher cost of living,I believe many are thinking of ways to grow their pot of gold. 

Can work part time as grab delivery. Perks you can exercise and earn mone cause you need to walk/cycle alot, recommended for those fat ass who want to lose weight. Why bother paying for gym when you get paid to lose weight?

Guest Fatty
3 hours ago, YiT said:

I welcome and appreciate sharing and thoughts on method to increase ones passive income regardless of background.

✌️

Invest in crypto 

Guest irritating
14 hours ago, Guest Irrelevant. Again. said:

yea this lao cb angmoh SteveKnn is fking irritating, can we ban him from this forum totally pls!

8 hours ago, Guest Fatty said:

Invest in crypto 

In my limited understanding, I don't finding anything,  goods or services, that back the value of crypto.  If one day we can buy quantum computers in a discount store, we will be able to create millions of "cryptos" and their value will be near zero.  Their risk may be much, much higher than their potential gains.

Guest Retiree
On 7/15/2023 at 8:05 PM, YiT said:

Trading is high risk and not easy. It didn't work for me and I have lost money over the years. All the best 🙏

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Retiree

I like to share with yo guys this Unit Trust that I bought in early-2023 and my thoughts about it:

1. Allianz Income & Growth Fund ->
https://secure.fundsupermart.com/fsm/admin/buy/factsheet/factsheetALZ210.pdf

2. Allianz is one of the world’s leading asset management firm that is established in 1998. I am not new to Unit Trust investments and have been investing in them since in the 1990s; and I had no bad experience investing in funds that were managed by Allianz before.

3. Solid portfolio based on the top 10 holdings but largely in the US.

4. I had decided to invest in this moderately higher risk fund instead of putting a large portion of my savings into time deposit because of

a) Consistent monthly high dividends since launch in 2013 (8% p.a. based on CMV) which is a good source of passive income for me.

b) Although the fund had hit an all time low of $6.41 since the Covid-19 crisis in 2020 and a low of $7.02 in Mar 2023 due to US interest rate hike, I am not worried because it will be for long-term.

5. This is the only asset management firm that provides "Income & Growth Funds”

6. Fyi, I bought the fund @ $7.43 in Feb 2023 and price actually dropped to $7.02 in Mar 2023. Today CMV is $7.58. My only regret is buying the fund from MayBank as there is an upfront 4% sales charge. I could have easily done the transaction via POEMS for free but I felt bad for the bank staff who attended to me for more than an hour. The monthly dividends I have collected so far have just covered my sales charge and I am happy that the price is now rising in my favour too.

7. More information about the fund ->
https://secure.fundsupermart.com/fsm/funds/factsheet/ALZ210/Allianz-Income-and-Growth-Cl-AM-DIS-H2-SGD

1. To the "retiree" above, as you said it is MODERATELY HIGHER RISK.

2. Depending on your investment objectives at your stage of live and your money generating means and holding,

we all have different risk profiles.

For myself as I get nearer to retirement, I will not want to risk my nest-of-eggs.

ie More conservative and take LOWER risk which also means LOWER upside/rewards.

3. I share a link by Investment Moat which give another view of the above fund.

https://investmentmoats.com/money/tearing-down-allianz-gi-income-and-growth-fund/

Personally I have concerns about the above fund for myself. As I said, everyone risk-reward concerns are different.

4. Everyone please do your own homework for any information you get on the Internet including this site.

Cheers !

Guest Retiree
1 hour ago, HendryTan said:

2. Depending on your investment objectives at your stage of live and your money generating means and holding,

For myself as I get nearer to retirement, I will not want to risk my nest-of-eggs.

https://investmentmoats.com/money/tearing-down-allianz-gi-income-and-growth-fund/

Personally I have concerns about the above fund for myself. As I said, everyone risk-reward concerns are different.

4. Everyone please do your own homework for any information you get on the Internet including this site.

Cheers !

Thank you for your input 🙏

2 hours ago, Guest Retiree said:

I like to share with yo guys this Unit Trust that I bought in early-2023 and my thoughts about it:

1. Allianz Income & Growth Fund ->
https://secure.fundsupermart.com/fsm/admin/buy/factsheet/factsheetALZ210.pdf

2. Allianz is one of the world’s leading asset management firm that is established in 1998. I am not new to Unit Trust investments and have been investing in them since in the 1990s; and I had no bad experience investing in funds that were managed by Allianz before.

3. Solid portfolio based on the top 10 holdings but largely in the US.

4. I had decided to invest in this moderately higher risk fund instead of putting a large portion of my savings into time deposit because of

a) Consistent monthly high dividends since launch in 2013 (8% p.a. based on CMV) which is a good source of passive income for me.

b) Although the fund had hit an all time low of $6.41 since the Covid-19 crisis in 2020 and a low of $7.02 in Mar 2023 due to US interest rate hike, I am not worried because it will be for long-term.

5. This is the only asset management firm that provides "Income & Growth Funds”

6. Fyi, I bought the fund @ $7.43 in Feb 2023 and price actually dropped to $7.02 in Mar 2023. Today CMV is $7.58. My only regret is buying the fund from MayBank as there is an upfront 4% sales charge. I could have easily done the transaction via POEMS for free but I felt bad for the bank staff who attended to me for more than an hour. The monthly dividends I have collected so far have just covered my sales charge and I am happy that the price is now rising in my favour too.

7. More information about the fund ->
https://secure.fundsupermart.com/fsm/funds/factsheet/ALZ210/Allianz-Income-and-Growth-Cl-AM-DIS-H2-SGD

honestly this is ok BUT the fees are ridiculous. There is no reason to pay management fees of over 0.5%, let alone paying 1.5% for this type of product, which is a very simple fund. 

2 hours ago, HendryTan said:

Cheers !

good link! 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:35 PM, YiT said:

Yes, in America. If the company closed down, then the pension stopped. 

Guest Retiree
6 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

honestly this is ok BUT the fees are ridiculous. There is no reason to pay management fees of over 0.5%, let alone paying 1.5% for this type of product, which is a very simple fund. 

Yes, the sales charge of 4% by the Bank is ridiculous (I should have bought it via my POEMS account) but I am ok with the Asset Management Fees (saves me the time of keeping abreast with the latest development in the market if I were to invest in shares & other investment instruments)

On 7/16/2023 at 5:00 AM, Steve5380 said:

Your pension is not enough to meet the current inflation and I believed your ex company is unlikely to inflate your fixed pension.  As for social security, it is for basic needs, so may not be enough for "extravagant lifestyle".    It is normal to be frugal and using food stamps is not a crime.  I am not laughing.  As for myself.  I have nothing from Singapore.  All I have is..... a heart of Gold.  Don't laugh. 

1 hour ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Your pension is not enough to meet the current inflation and I believed your ex company is unlikely to inflate your fixed pension.  As for social security, it is for basic needs, so may not be enough for "extravagant lifestyle".    It is normal to be frugal and using food stamps is not a crime.  I am not laughing.  As for myself.  I have nothing from Singapore.  All I have is..... a heart of Gold.  Don't laugh. 

I am not laughing.  And I believe that you have a heart of Gold.

And from what I have been writing in this forum,  you can believe that I don't care at all for "extravagant lifestyle".   My pension has practically not changed in the 24 years I have been receiving it,  and Social Security increases with inflation but still lags it.  But... I have "extravagantly" sufficient money because:  1) I own my home and only need to pay some real estate taxes,  2) I have zero debts,  not even some little dollars from credit cards, and 3) I enjoy frugality. 

Guest Retiree
10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am not laughing.  And I believe that you have a heart of Gold.

And from what I have been writing in this forum,  you can believe that I don't care at all for "extravagant lifestyle".   My pension has practically not changed in the 24 years I have been receiving it,  and Social Security increases with inflation but still lags it.  But... I have "extravagantly" sufficient money because:  1) I own my home and only need to pay some real estate taxes,  2) I have zero debts,  not even some little dollars from credit cards, and 3) I enjoy frugality. 

Frugality is just fine.

Here's a link on survey findings of retiree spending behaviour:

https://www.blackrock.com/us/individual/literature/whitepaper/spending-retirement-assets-final-whitepaper.pdf

9 minutes ago, Guest Retiree said:

Frugality is just fine.

Here's a link on survey findings of retiree spending behaviour:

https://www.blackrock.com/us/individual/literature/whitepaper/spending-retirement-assets-final-whitepaper.pdf

Thanks!  This is an interesting article.

Guest Please Help
13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

As a retiree, you don't get some pension from prior work, or from a government plan?

Say, Singapore?   20% of our wages went to the government, who will eventually pay you in peace payments when you retire (at 65 years old), assuming you didn't spend it all on a pricey home that would leave you with nothing for old life.  Many Singaporeans are dealing with this scenario, which is a true struggle with no hope of relief.  I was concerned about the many dainty timidity gay individuals who could have to work as security guards, cleaners, graveyard shifts, gas station assistant or cardboard collectors because they couldn't retire properly and would likely face bullying as a result.

57 minutes ago, Guest Please Help said:

Say, Singapore?   20% of our wages went to the government, who will eventually pay you in peace payments when you retire (at 65 years old), assuming you didn't spend it all on a pricey home that would leave you with nothing for old life.  Many Singaporeans are dealing with this scenario, which is a true struggle with no hope of relief.  I was concerned about the many dainty timidity gay individuals who could have to work as security guards, cleaners, graveyard shifts, gas station assistant or cardboard collectors because they couldn't retire properly and would likely face bullying as a result.

Your Central Provident Fund CPF is not bad.  You are better off than people in most other countries.  Of course, if one spends it all on a pricey home, one has to bear the consequences.  

11 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Of course, if one spends it all on a pricey home, one has to bear the consequences.  

What is your suggestion in Singapore context?

6 minutes ago, Guest Huh? said:

What is your suggestion in Singapore context?

I am not the right person to suggest, since I have never lived in Singapore.  But I can try:  If I am a not overly ambitious gay in Singapore and I receive a basic education,  I will try to find an employment within my capacity that offers security,  maybe a government employment, and put in my years of service in a way that is tolerable.  When the time comes I apply for HDB housing. I take the medical coverage plan offered by CPF and I continue following a healthy lifestyle.  I arrange my HDB flat with everything I need to be comfortable.  At the appropriate age I retire and live from the retirement payments.  When I reach 100 years of age I accept that my time has run out and I give my soul to the afterlife.   

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.