Male HQ

ON Whey Protein Defect?

extod170

Just curious if you guys have met with similar situation?

I've been an avid protein shake drinker - in particular ON 100% Whey Gold Standard (Double Rich Choco flavor). Recently I bought a tub of the same protein but the taste was flat and had a weird aftertaste; very different from the usual. The consistency of the powder was also a little clammy, also different from the usual. I verified the authentication seal to ensure that it was an authentic product, which it is, so I didn't think too much into it and drank it anyway. It's been about 1-2 weeks since drinking the protein and now I started to have this diarrhea which has been lasting for nearly a week. 

To be honest, this is not the first time this has happened. The previous time this happened was about 6 months ago (another tub of protein, same brand and flavor) and  I also had diarrhea which lasted 2-3 weeks. At that time, I didn't know if it was the protein and thought perhaps my tummy was weak and thus having issues. When I finished that tub of protein, I changed to a new tub, and that was when I realized "wait - this is the right taste. the previous tub tasted weird for sure". And after 2-3 days changing to a new tub, I miraculously recovered from the diarrhea. No more weird tummy. 

I always check the authentication seal and ensure I buy protein from a reliable vendor. But in a span of 6 months, I met with the same issue again. Just wondering if any of you ON whey protein takers also faced similar issues? 

Edited by extod170
grammar

Guest Guest

I used to find that I would have tummy issues when I took whey protein. This could be bloating and sometimes diarrhea. I then switched to a plant based protein powder and I found that I have no more issues. You might be allergic to dairy proteins. 

I have been taking this brand/flavor of protein for the last 1-2 years with no issues though. I usually buy from iHerb but in recent months started buying from Shopee. 

But perhaps it's a good time to explore plant based protein now. Any recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 2:22 PM, extod170 said:

Just curious if you guys have met with similar situation?

I've been an avid protein shake drinker - in particular ON 100% Whey Gold Standard (Double Rich Choco flavor). Recently I bought a tub of the same protein but the taste was flat and had a weird aftertaste; very different from the usual. The consistency of the powder was also a little clammy, also different from the usual. I verified the authentication seal to ensure that it was an authentic product, which it is, so I didn't think too much into it and drank it anyway. It's been about 1-2 weeks since drinking the protein and now I started to have this diarrhea which has been lasting for nearly a week. 

To be honest, this is not the first time this has happened. The previous time this happened was about 6 months ago (another tub of protein, same brand and flavor) and  I also had diarrhea which lasted 2-3 weeks. At that time, I didn't know if it was the protein and thought perhaps my tummy was weak and thus having issues. When I finished that tub of protein, I changed to a new tub, and that was when I realized "wait - this is the right taste. the previous tub tasted weird for sure". And after 2-3 days changing to a new tub, I miraculously recovered from the diarrhea. No more weird tummy. 

I always check the authentication seal and ensure I buy protein from a reliable vendor. But in a span of 6 months, I met with the same issue again. Just wondering if any of you ON whey protein takers also faced similar issues? 

I take the same brand but didn’t experience it before. The bloating is due to the lactose which I am a bit allergic to. I try to get from authenticated source like LAC or iHerb. I know there are many cheaper online sellers and some would state the product is near to expiry. I try to avoid those if it is 3 months to expiry…. You may want to check the sources of your ON whey for the last two episodes. 

• 1 month later...

Hey man. I still have half a tub of ON to finish but I also bought some sample plant based protein sachets to try out. The texture is a tad too creamy (not that I don't creamy 😁) and tastes a little weird to be honest. I guess need some time to adjust to it. But for now, it feels more comfortable on the tummy for sure. Will continue to try it out and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.