Male HQ

2023 Presidential Candidates' view on LGBT rights

groyn88

https://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tharman_Shanmugaratnam's_views_on_homosexuality

Tharman Shanmugaratnam is a former member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP). He was the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Taman Jurong division of Jurong GRC between 2001 and 2023. He also served as Deputy Prime Minister between 2011 and 2019, Minister for Finance between 2007 and 2015, Minister for Education between 2003 and 2008.

On 8 June 2023, Tharman announced his intention to run for the 2023 presidential election. Subsequently, he announced his scheduled resignation on 7 July 2023 from all his positions in the government and as a member of the PAP, as the presidency is a non-partisan office.

He has expressed his views on LGBT issues on several occasions.

Wear White campaign, 2014

On Sunday, 22 June 2014, in response to questions from the media about the Wear White campaign launched by religious leader Noor Deros urging fellow Muslims to wear white on 28 June 2014 to protest against homosexuality and the Pink Dot event to be held at Hong Lim Park on the same day, then Deputy Prime Minister Tharman said: "All these matters, we just have to exercise a sense of balance and restraint, especially when it comes to matters that have to do with religion and personal preferences." He added that Singaporeans were "very moderate people" and he did not think the situation would escalate[2],[3],[4],[5].

Section 377A, 2018

During the dialogue with Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam held on 25 October 2018 at the Institute of Policy Studies' 30th Anniversary Event, moderator Ambassador Tommy Koh pleaded for the Government to show more tolerance towards the gay community regarding the repeal of Section 377A of the Penal Code and censorship[6].

Tommy Koh: DPM, before I take questions from the audience, may I briefly mention another challenge, with the challenge of inequality, challenge of poverty, there is a new challenge in Singapore – this is the challenge of growing intolerance. A mutual friend of ours was recently invited by one of our religious organisations to speak at a conference on a secular topic. He accepted, prepared his paper and then he was disinvited. Why was he disinvited? Because he signed a petition to repeal the 377A. You know, we can disagree, but there is no need to demonise each other. And I would make also a plea to the government to show greater tolerance. I hope that going forward, the government will no longer ban movies, withdraw book grants. Let’s be big hearted. We have reached a stage of political and cultural maturity, where we could accommodate different points of view. It is a plea.

Tharman: No one should feel demonised in Singapore – (it is a) very diverse society, we have to respect each other and make sure that whatever our views on specific topics, there is a solid core of shared aspirations and beliefs that holds us together.

Definition of marriage and changing social norms, 2023

At an election meeting with registered guests from the public on the evening of 25 August 2023, some of the statements attendees were most interested to hear were his opinions regarding the LGBT community, such as the definition of marriage and changing social norms[7],[8].

On the definition of marriage, Tharman touched on the recent repeal of Section 377A and said that it was a decision that went through years of "extensive consultations and deliberations". "And we did reiterate a commitment on the part of government and parliament to hold to the definition of marriage as between man and woman," he added. "Let me say that the reality is, we are not a society where there is a common view on this. In fact, we are a society where there are quite divided views on this issue. Even on 377A there used to be, but we brought it along, and we brought it along because everyone accepted eventually that we must love and respect each individual for who they are."

While Tharman voiced the importance of "never look[ing] down" on others, he also insisted on the need to consider "broader social norms". He pointed out that Singaporeans lived in a multi-cultural society with different views, depending on which faith and generation one belonged to. "But we should all accept that moving too quickly in shifting social norms is very likely to lead to a push back, people feeling provoked and leading to more dissension in society. So social norms have to evolve gradually, and they have to evolve at a tempo that will be decided by society in future generations."

"It is honestly too risky in a multi-religious society... We've got to respect everyone for who they are, but be very careful in how we evolve our social norms, because it's not just a matter of our individual views, but it's a matter of keeping society together," he added to explain why Singaporeans should not rush into shifting social norms. This doesn't mean that in the meantime, we "regress" or "disrespect" others, the presidential candidate clarified.

Tharman stressed that it was about helping people in Singapore feel that the "centre of norms, the centre of beliefs, [and] the centre of aspirations" was still "very strong". "Nothing is fixed forever, but be very careful and cautious in evolving social norms," he said. Tharman acknowledged that his position on the matter cannot and will not satisfy everyone. "But it is, in my view, the most sensible position to take to avoid society becoming more divided," he concluded.

https://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.fandom.com/wiki/Ng_Kok_Song's_views_on_LGBT_rights

Peter Ng Kok Song (黄国松; born 11 February 1948), better known as Ng Kok Song, is a Singaporean investor, fund manager and entrepreneur who served as the chief investment officer of GIC between 2007 and 2013, and director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore between 1985 and 1986. He is also the founder of asset management company Avanda Investment Management.

In 2023, Ng announced that he would be running for the Singaporean presidential election that was due to be held that year. He was successful in receiving the Certificate of Eligibility by the Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) and was subsequently nominated on Nomination Day.

When asked about his views on LGBT issues on 23 August 2023, presidential candidate Ng said he shared the views of Pope Francis. "Who we are to judge? Pope Francis himself was echoing what Jesus said: Judge not lest ye be judged," Ng said, describing such issues as a "very personal matter"[2].

He was alluding to Pope Francis' first media conference in his new position as pope when he gave his opinion on the sexual orientation of priests in 2013 by saying: "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

https://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tan_Kin_Lian's_views_on_homosexuality

Tan Kin Lian (陈钦亮; Chén Qīnliàng; born 9 March 1948) is a Singaporean businessman who served as the chief executive officer of NTUC Income between 1997 and 2007, before standing for the 2011 presidential election.

On 11 August 2023, Tan announced his intention to stand in the 2023 presidential election, with former presidential candidate Tan Jee Say acting as his proposer.

On 24 August 2022, a female Facebook user named "illobyanngee" made a screen capture of one of Tan's Facebook posts in which he penned:

"I wish to address two issues that are often raised against gay people:

1. Their behaviour is against nature. 2. They are becoming more aggressive in promoting their lifestyle.

I belong to the "normal" people and have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. I take this opportunity to speak in suppor of gay people.

1. It is not against nature to be gay. In nature, some creatures are homosexual. This could apply to some humans as well.

2. The gay people generally keep to themselves and live their private lives. They are not promoting their lifestyle to the "normal" majority. They only want to have the same rights, e.g. marriage, housing and property, that are enjoyed by the "normal" majority.

Their struggle for justice is similar to previous struggles by oppressed minorities."

On Wednesday, 23 August 2023, in the lead up to the 2023 Presidential Election, Wake Up Singapore published the following three posters on its Facebook page quoting Tan's views on LGBT rights[2]:

"Diversity and differences shouldn't be given too much attention.

If you want to be a homosexual, do it privately.

If you want to do it outwardly, then you actually cause problems with younger people and so on.

So therefore, I hold the view that for LGBT, it's better that you do it privately. We don't disturb you, you know.

But you don't try to bring your views into the public because there are other people who find it quite difficult for religious and other reasons. That'll be my broad view.

So, when the LGBT community wants to be more visible, I think that it is not necessary. It is not useful.

I agree on repealing 377A but I think that community shouldn't push things too far. I agree that it shouldn't be make illegal.

If they live their life in private, they should be free from harassment. I'm quite clear on that.

If they want more recognition for housing, I'm quite open. I think it's a matter of rights, they should be given housing. Marriage rights may be a bit more difficult. These issues are not so easy to decide.

I'm liberal, but no so extra liberal. There must be some reasonable line.

But this is an issue that I am not so clear about."

Edited by groyn88

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.