Male HQ

New Scam on social media

Recently I saw on social media a post on Sweet Cameron Highlands sweet corn. Price was great and as I love sweet corn, it was an offer I'll will not miss! I placed an order thru private message and received a reply asking me to provide my mobile number so they could WhatsApp me.  I follwed their instructions and soon I received a message on my WhatsApp. My order was confirm on the message and also was asked if their representative can call me to explain on the payment and I agreed. A gentleman called saying i have to download a link which they will send me to make payment and get a confirmation. At this point I was suspicious why do I to download the link.I asked him why he just kept quiet since. I told him I wasn't comfortable with the arrangement and if I could self collect or pay on delivery. He remind quiet and I just hang up!!! What do you think? Scam or not scam. Do you have similar experience? We need to spread the awareness scammers are everywhere and their patterns are plenty too. Stop them from scamming money from the innocent!!! Don't be their next victim!!!+

Recently I saw on social media a post on Sweet Cameron Highlands sweet corn. Price was great and as I love sweet corn, it was an offer I'll will not miss! I placed an order thru private message and received a reply asking me to provide my mobile number so they could WhatsApp me.  I follwed their instructions and soon I received a message on my WhatsApp. My order was confirm on the message and also was asked if their representative can call me to explain on the payment and I agreed. A gentleman called saying i have to download a link which they will send me to make payment and get a confirmation. At this point I was suspicious why do I to download the link.I asked him why he just kept quiet since. I told him I wasn't comfortable with the arrangement and if I could self collect or pay on delivery. He remind quiet and I just hang up!!! What do you think? Scam or not scam. Do you have similar experience? We need to spread the awareness scammers are everywhere and their patterns are plenty too. Stop them from scamming money from the innocent!!! Don't be their next victim!!!+

Thanks for sharing... 

Guest be alert

sounds exactly like a scam, good that you were alert.

whatever you were told to download is likely to contain malware which can take control over your phone.

your experience is exactly like what's mentioned here:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/over-100-android-users-fall-prey-to-phishing-scams-since-march

It's not "new" but it's still in this year i believe, and we're already end of August. Basically the link auto downloads the malware and either tracks keystrokes or remotely see your screen. You won't be able to see the software in your installed list - can't be sure if a factory default can clear the malware either.

Lodge an online police report with details. It will help to increase the statistics so the government can hopefully act on it.

This is the same scam where they lose CPF monies and was sleeping and woke up to having no money in the bank.

The victim usually will be asked to pay at a website but payment keep getting rejected, then calling the whatsapp number, the person will give another link to pay there (or min deposit to secure the deal). Then victim phone will be remotely accessed and if your phone is also receiving the SMS OTP or app OTP, they can see it and transfer the money away.

sounds exactly like a scam, good that you were alert.

whatever you were told to download is likely to contain malware which can take control over your phone.

your experience is exactly like what's mentioned here:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/over-100-android-users-fall-prey-to-phishing-scams-since-march

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing the news! 

Guest be alert

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing the news! 

no problem, good that you shared so i can share.

luckily you were alert, if not you'd have become another victim.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.