Male HQ

Internal HDD

thinking35

Hi Guys,

Need some advise please.

My current desktop comes with a 1TB SSD and I am planning to install a internal HDD,

1. Any brand and model to recommend?

I saw Seagate to be more common in Lazada and Shopee. There are also different models (Barracuda, Ironwolf, etc)

2. Any idea is there any max. capacity HDD I can install into a desktop?

Bigger capacity seems cheaper.

3. Eg, like the Seagate Ironwolf which is design for NAS, is it okay to be used as a normal hdd?

Thanks guys in advance for advise.

In general, the more pricier, the higher the performance and the bigger the drive. However, you need to look at your desktop first, what i sthe accepted standard and max size. This should be the first factor. After that, it how much money you are willing to spend. In truth, unless you are in very specific usage of HDD, any brands will do. Because if you are really into high performance HDD, you probably know what you want already.

Generally, the one thing I would consider is the 7200 rpm internal drive (vs the 5400 rpm).  The max for me would be up to 4 TB per drive.  Should I want more storage, I add another 4 TB.  Make sure your system has the slots for them.

These bigger capacity drives are mainly for storage.  I will have a smaller SSD strictly for the operating system.

Like what @kwongheng mentioned, any brands will do.  The next important to me, other than the rpm, is the guarantee period though.

Usually, I will get the HDD at SLS.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

41 minutes ago, kwongheng said:

In general, the more pricier, the higher the performance and the bigger the drive. However, you need to look at your desktop first, what i sthe accepted standard and max size. This should be the first factor. After that, it how much money you are willing to spend. In truth, unless you are in very specific usage of HDD, any brands will do. Because if you are really into high performance HDD, you probably know what you want already.

@kwongheng thank you for your advise. I getting the HDD mainly for storage use only. Was thinking higher performance cos will be maybe faster? Any idea how to check the system max size? I got my desktop less than 6months ago.

I was checking on 11.11, a 4TB cos round $150 while I saw another 16TB for around $200. Since the price is not much difference, wondering a 16TB would be better choice?

Not really good at IT but still want to do upgrade... haha

27 minutes ago, IkuTube said:

Generally, the one thing I would consider is the 7200 rpm internal drive (vs the 5400 rpm).  The max for me would be up to 4 TB per drive.  Should I want more storage, I add another 4 TB.  Make sure your system has the slots for them.

These bigger capacity drives are mainly for storage.  I will have a smaller SSD strictly for the operating system.

Like what @kwongheng mentioned, any brands will do.  The next important to me, other than the rpm, is the guarantee period though.

Usually, I will get the HDD at SLS.

@IkuTube thank you for advise too. I think the one I was looking at was 7200rpm. The system have 2 empty SATA slot. Does guarantee period really works?

2 minutes ago, thinking35 said:

@IkuTube thank you for advise too. I think the one I was looking at was 7200rpm. The system have 2 empty SATA slot. Does guarantee period really works?

This 'guarantee' thing is just a safeguard value added feature.  Haha, it gives me the peace of mind.  *Touch wood* that I have never experienced a failed faulty HDD.  Hence, the guarantee period has no purpose at all.

Personally, it is my pessimistic thinking not to get a larger than 4 TB. 

The price of that 16 TB for around $200 is a good buy.  On checking the prices at some shops on SLS, a 16 TB HDD can cost more than $500 plus!

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

4 minutes ago, IkuTube said:

This 'guarantee' thing is just a safeguard value added feature.  Haha, it gives me the peace of mind.  *Touch wood* that I have never experienced a failed faulty HDD.  Hence, the guarantee period has no purpose at all.

Personally, it is my pessimistic thinking not to get a larger than 4 TB. 

The price of that 16 TB for around $200 is a good buy.  On checking the prices at some shops on SLS, a 16 TB HDD can cost more than $500 plus!

Yes, that's a good buy, that's why it attracts me.. haha... maybe also greedy 😛

I checked other 16TB is real expensive. But the only catch is that is from China but with International warranty.

21 minutes ago, thinking35 said:

Any idea how to check the system max size?

I guess the only way for you to know is to read your motherboard specs.

12 minutes ago, thinking35 said:

this is a good one... have to check what is the motherboard then... haha

These days most MBs have no max capacity but it is good to play safe.  Also, though it is not crucial, do know what's your PSU capacity too before adding on too many things on your system.

Just now, IkuTube said:

These days most MBs have no max capacity but it is good to play safe.  Also, though it is not crucial, do know what's your PSU capacity too before adding on too many things on your system.

What is PSU? Since there is 2 empty slots, should be okay to add 1 right? That's what i think 😛

Just now, thinking35 said:

What is PSU? Since there is 2 empty slots, should be okay to add 1 right? That's what i think 😛

PSU is the power supply unit that regulates the power to support your whole system.

That 2 empty slots available on your MB are meant for you to add up to 2 HDDs. 

How many SATA ports does your MB have?  Most MBs provide 3 ports onboard.

2 hours ago, IkuTube said:

PSU is the power supply unit that regulates the power to support your whole system.

That 2 empty slots available on your MB are meant for you to add up to 2 HDDs. 

How many SATA ports does your MB have?  Most MBs provide 3 ports onboard.

Hmmm... I think 2. 2 slots with all the necessary cables are already there.

14 hours ago, thinking35 said:

I checked other 16TB is real expensive. But the only catch is that is from China but with International warranty.

One thing you need to consider would be, yes the HDD has international warranty, but is there a local office/location that handles the warranty?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.