Male HQ

Any electricians here for career advice please

Hi there, been on a career changing path and it's been difficult gathering info.

I would like to pursue a career in electrician and would be incredibly appreciative if could hear how your experience/ journey was.

I also speak malay if that helps with conversation (since some electricians are from Malaysia). Thanks in advance! Please DM me or let me know here so I could DM you.

10 hours ago, BrainBoner said:

Hi there, been on a career changing path and it's been difficult gathering info.

I would like to pursue a career in electrician and would be incredibly appreciative if could hear how your experience/ journey was.

I also speak malay if that helps with conversation (since some electricians are from Malaysia). Thanks in advance! Please DM me or let me know here so I could DM you.

I would not choose a career based on what it can help in conversations with fellow people in such career. 

Electrician is a technical career.  It can start with interest in electrical devices, like lights, motors, generators, actuators, and a bunch of other things.  But to enjoy this, you should be driven to learn the basics of the physics of electricity.  How to produce it, how to transform it into work.   From electricity comes the technology of electronics, and from electronics, it is just a step towards the digital world and computers. 

This interest can start with enrolling in a technical high school,  and following with a university study of electrical engineering.  There you get the passion for physics.   This is how I made electricity one of the bases for my profession.  Today I can repair anything electrical. But I never worked as an electrician in construction, although I recognize that this can be a good profession.

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I would not choose a career based on what it can help in conversations with fellow people in such career. 

Electrician is a technical career.  It can start with interest in electrical devices, like lights, motors, generators, actuators, and a bunch of other things.  But to enjoy this, you should be driven to learn the basics of the physics of electricity.  How to produce it, how to transform it into work.   From electricity comes the technology of electronics, and from electronics, it is just a step towards the digital world and computers. 

This interest can start with enrolling in a technical high school,  and following with a university study of electrical engineering.  There you get the passion for physics.   This is how I made electricity one of the bases for my profession.  Today I can repair anything electrical. But I never worked as an electrician in construction, although I recognize that this can be a good profession.

thanks buddy, I meant I wanted to ask them about their pathway and experience in SG/MY. I didn't understand your 1st sentence. Just stated I knew another language if it was easier to converse in case English wasn't as comfortable. Also I didn't understand your 1st sentence.

Great that you're a DIY guy!

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly... must not be colourblind.

Go get cert from ITE... Nitec 2.

If can get diploma better.. 

Get few year experience... go apply for LEW...

ITE can get licence 7

Dip get licence 8

Go take degree in EEE...

Then get PE licence 9...

Licence 7 do limited work but can do work assigned by licence 8.

Licence 8 can do both 7 & 8 job.

Licence 9 obviously just sign paper... let licence 7 or 8 do the work & collect money.

More info from EMA website.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 10:20 PM, BrainBoner said:

Aim to become a LEW if you are not one