Male HQ

Presbyopia

Guest viceye

I was contemplating surgery to correct presbyopia and googled an insightful article:

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/presbyopia.php

The text that concerns me reads:

“If you see well at distance without glasses, then all you would need are over-the counter reading glasses (sometimes called magnifiers) to help you read. These come in different powers (+1.00 to +3.50). An effective method to choose the right reading glass is the following: hold a newspaper or magazine at the distance at which you want to read. Then try different glasses and choose the reading glass that gives you clear vision - at the distance tested. This is an important point. While using this method, do not change your chosen distance for reading. If you do so, the reading glass power will have to be adjusted accordingly. A weaker glass (+1.00) will allow you to read further from your eyes, while a stronger glass (+2.50) will allow clear vision only when you get the reading material closer to your eyes. Both these glasses (weaker and stronger) are correct prescriptions, but only for the distance at which they allow clear vision. Depending on what you want to do, choose a weaker glass (for computer work ) or a stronger glass (for reading a newspaper or magazine). You will not hurt your eyes with either glass. If you have the wrong power reading glass for the distance at which you want to read, then you will not be able to read comfortably. That does no harm your vision though.

Based on the results of a study we recommend that you wear your reading glasses only for reading and resist the temptation of keeping them always on your face, i.e. avoid looking at intermediate or distance objects through your reading glasses. Doing so can blur your distance vision over time (Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 2003 ;23:13-20).

It is not our intention to suggest that an eye care provider dispensed prescription reading glasses are unnecessary. The fact is that the vast majority of presbyopes will be satisfied with over-the-counter reading glasses. They do not cost a lot and therefore one can afford to keep multiple reading glasses (one for working on the computer & another one for reading up close) and there is less heartbreak when one breaks or loses them. If however, you are unhappy with your vision through these glasses or want bifocals/progressives, then you should get prescription glasses.”

That passage confirms what I suspected since I started to need reading glasses two years ago – that they nothing more than expensive magnifiers. The trouble with reading glasses is that I cannot look up or gaze afar without seeing ‘blur’. To keep focusing near tires the eyes and I tend to read less and less.

Is there anyone who has successfully ‘corrected’ presbyopia other than thru wearing glasses?

try reading the details in this link below on KAMRA... latest in the market. apparently very effective and you only need to do for one eye.

http://www.singlasik.com.sg/Kamra_presbyopia.asp

================

If your post is after the earlier post, you do not have to quote the whole passage which is self explanatory.

Pls practice some editing, especially for long articles.

Gachi

• Guest locked this topic