Male HQ

Where Can I Learn How To Baking And Cooking?

Saion

Hi there,

As what the topic mentioned, I would like to know where I can learn Baking and cooking. I had tried looking at community centres and they don't provide hands on. I know it by viewing how the trainer do, most of students will actually create those cakes and bread out. It may work for most but it doesn't work for me.

Hence I would like to know where I can get to learn them. Best with hands on and the price is reasonable.

Thank you

The ending is just the begining.

The begining is not the end.

I was lost and I am still finding.......

Hi there,

As what the topic mentioned, I would like to know where I can learn Baking and cooking. I had tried looking at community centres and they don't provide hands on. I know it by viewing how the trainer do, most of students will actually create those cakes and bread out. It may work for most but it doesn't work for me.

Hence I would like to know where I can get to learn them. Best with hands on and the price is reasonable.

Thank you

Community centres classes are for aunties, you can try all this :

http://www.bitc.com.sg/home/home.asp

http://www.at-sunrice.com/default.aspx

http://www.shatec.sg/

CC cooking classes are only for aunties? I'm surprised, but i guess that's one stigma that the CC will need to really work at to change.

btw, the shatec courses are not cheep...

btw, threadstarter, you do have a good oven and baking utensils at home rite? it's quite impt to have a 'good set' and lots of patience and the willingness to try and fail and try again with variation ... it's like a chemistry practical in school. be sure to note down EVERY STEP on a notebook, and if it dun work, change the step/amount used, etc to see what happens and note that down... that way, once you hit success, you CAN repeat it and not be confused about what you did right.

personally, i am not a baking person and my home although has a multifunction microwave/oven (that panasonic one is fantastic... where specs are concerned) i only use the microwave to re-heat stuff...

I'm more a traditional wok and saucepan open flame man... :)

CC cooking classes are only for aunties? I'm surprised, but i guess that's one stigma that the CC will need to really work at to change.

Walk into any community centres conducting cooking or baking classes, you'll see.

Auntie noise included.

btw, the shatec courses are not cheep...

Sunrice is the expensive one but if qualify, can apply for govt subsidy

Guest cookbook

In my own opinion, i think cookbooks are the best as long you have a good oven and all the necesarry ingredients for baking or cooking.

Of course, when u go cc, sure there will be a few aunties that has nothing to do will of cos gossip. Other than that, cookbooks and recipe on the internet is the best.

In my own opinion, i think cookbooks are the best as long you have a good oven and all the necesarry ingredients for baking or cooking.

Of course, when u go cc, sure there will be a few aunties that has nothing to do will of cos gossip. Other than that, cookbooks and recipe on the internet is the best.

I think cookbooks are good only if you have a certain level of proficiency or experience because you may not be aware of some techniques that have to be noted. Repeated failures might just discourage beginners in the craft.

then perhaps the best way to get 'hands on' in baking and cooking is to have a fully equipped kitchen and INVITE a chef to your place for a one-on-one coaching. it could be less expensive and more time efficient on the long run.

if you dun have the oven, the pans, the mixer, the baking utensils, grease paper, etc... perhaps you could buy a cooking video to watch... forget hands on becos after the lesson, nowhere to practice anyway... unless you have a kitchen.

Well, as a novice trying to cook, i find many cook books do not show enough information to cook a good meal.

Then i started looking for those with many pictures.

Then eventually videos on how to cook them.

That the ultimate. :)

Cooking is like that... there is NO instant success. unless you are boiling water...

even then i'd seen novice screw it up...

cook books, videos, even hands on chef guiding you one-on-one... it's never gonna be 'perfect' the first try or anywhwere NEAR great/perfect...

you got to take time to practice and get the hang of it literally...

so have patience, experiment, dun be defensive to criticisms from those who try your hand at cooking, and see if you you can improve over time...

I find that attitude is paramount in cooking, and then technical skills. anyhow cook, anyhow eat... erm... not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

baking and cooking courses are quite expensive. i do baking through self-learning and experimentation. my best resources are cookbooks from libraries and the internet. when in doubt i do some reading on technical terms and theories/baking science or watch videos that demonstrate certain techniques.

when referring to cookbooks or internet recipes, the instructions arent well written or detailed enough most of the time. so this is something to take note of.

equipment wise for baking the most important is the oven. get a good one that is within your budget. mine is a tefal model costing 200bucks, non-fan assisted. works pretty well for me and its much cheaper than those $400 - $700 range. the next most important would be the mixer. got mine for 30plus and it works decent too. no need to buy those heavy duty kenwood kind of mixer. as for other equipment, normal pans will do fine. need not buy the more expensive non stick ones. one useful tool to have would be an electronic scale for measuring ingredients.

Guest bondguysg

Hi there,

Thank you

Hi. You can try PhoonHuat...Some larger branches conduct baking classes too. I know their Geylang branch does. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am a Shatec graduate in food preparation. I love cooking and used to work as a chef in a cafe. I have left the food industry but still cooking for occasions. Pls pm me if you are interested to learn basic cooking skill :)

Hi there,

Thank you

• 3 months later...
Guest HoHo

Hi. You can try PhoonHuat...Some larger branches conduct baking classes too. I know their Geylang branch does. Cheers!

Do you go to Phoon Huat for hand on baking class...

If you are going, jus contact me @ (civilization_2000@hotmail.com)

I'm looking for someone to accompany

I am seriously thinking of enrolling at the Le Cordon Bleu Dusit Culinary School at Bangkok. I am interested in the Patisserie courses. Anyone here been through any of their courses? Care of share experiences? Thanks.

Daniel Tay of Bakerzin was trained in UMF Baking School in BKK and I think it should be cheaper compare to the Le Cordon Blue brand.

Wonder if the standard is as good.

Bakerzin sure has good cakes though.

Daniel Tay of Bakerzin was trained in UMF Baking School in BKK and I think it should be cheaper compare to the Le Cordon Blue brand.

Wonder if the standard is as good.

Bakerzin sure has good cakes though.

I have not heard of UMF baking school but will check it out. I have been baking and cooking on my own for several years already and thought that maybe I should have some formal training in baking.

I have not heard of UMF baking school but will check it out. I have been baking and cooking on my own for several years already and thought that maybe I should have some formal training in baking.

Actually even if its Le Cordon Bleu, they only teaches the very basic, its your own creativity and imagination that makes the difference.

Why aren't you considering the local schools like Sunrice or BITC, they also have many short courses available.

Actually even if its Le Cordon Bleu, they only teaches the very basic, its your own creativity and imagination that makes the difference.

Why aren't you considering the local schools like Sunrice or BITC, they also have many short courses available.

Yeah I started looking at local schools too. Might just go with them since its alot cheaper (no need to look for accomodation) and I think the quality of teaching is just as good as overseas.

Yeah I started looking at local schools too. Might just go with them since its alot cheaper (no need to look for accomodation) and I think the quality of teaching is just as good as overseas.

I hv worked with this very experienced chef who conducts small classes for baking and a wide repertoire of western and asian cuisines. If you have 4 to 6 persons, she can tailor a course just for your group. Her cakes are to-die-for.

http://chefsinclass.com/

Dear all,

Thanks for all those replies. I had started going to phoon huat and start doing some baking. Realized that you need good investment on certain items such as Oven, blender..etc. Currently I am using conventional oven and blender. Sometimes, I will experiment using recipe from books and internet. Mostly try and error and hopefully it work.

As for cooking, still looking around for some hands-on. But going to give it a try from recipes that I found over the internet.

And thanks all for all the advice and suggestions.

Cheers

The ending is just the begining.

The begining is not the end.

I was lost and I am still finding.......

i attended a macaron class at palate sensations yesterday.

http://www.palatesensations.com/home.html

everyone's macarons turned out quite well (the class did have some beginners). so if you are thinking of learning how to make macarons, this may be a worthwhile class to check out.

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

• 1 month later...

( Baking ) Phoon huat / BITC - more for ppl who is interested in baking as a hobby , passion.

(baking / hotside ) at-Sunrice/Shatec - more for ppl who wanted a career in this line ( cos their program will have work attachements )

I was both from BITC and at-sunrice , when i grad from BITC long ago , i couldn't get a job in this line cos no experiences ( that was really donkeys years ago) Think they are much better now , with dip courses and also think a joint program from city & guild ? Anyway in terms of hand on , BITC used to be better , cos they had machine 1 to 1 , i think i got my basic well there , in sunrice , most are team work but you get to see other types of cakes , mostly french style , which was eye opener and so different from BITC back then . Well , b4 you enrol, THINK you wan a career ? or jsut for hobby/passion ... It is makes alot of differences !

To bake & make people happy ... But am i happy baking ? hmmmm I just have to , cos if not people will not like what I baked ! P/s : We can exchange pointers BUT please don't just private me just to ask for recipes ! Thanks

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18 July, 2016 at 1:13 PM, ChenL said:

I oso wanna study in Sg~ but now I am in Batam, attending diploma bakery and confectionery only $2,2k~ but Dunno whether the cert will be accepted internationally hmmmm...

It can be recognised as long as you can able to do what is required. The technique and skills are the same around the world.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did share in the skillsfuture credit (for those who have queries should refer to that page) that ACI conducted several courses that allow you to use credit
http://www.aci.edu.sg/events from jp pastries to Asian cusines esp

they focus on Asian primarily , signed up for their emails for updates pls, 1 must not keep waiting for things to happened esp u r excited about baking or cooking, a passive person will gain nothing....For a cooking school to buy large amount of stocks and ingredients to teach is more Economical...sometimes at home, if we are to learn by baking/cooking by a small amount, that doesn't justify for it at all

the Ms Bong: http://www.jialei.com/ is at Bedok (surely unable to use skillsfuture), even Aci I find it far
dulcet (under Tampopo ) too (but it is quite ex ) , nevertheless looks yummy.... Yes, the pricing of a per half day lessons like 3hours+ is abt $80 and above (ie norm), hence I would dare to share that what ACI is offering is really very affordable for a Singaporean/PR

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also like to learn baking but i rather learn it from youtube than waste a lot of time going outside to attend some cooking school. Recently managed to bake some vegan brownies learned from youtube. The headache part is where to find some of the ingredients needed and also the correct machine to process the ingredients.

Edited by yoyo74

Maybe if you list your issues, some kind folks who have knowledge would genuinely help. I find sometimes certain information elude us because we are not familiar but answer can be pretty straight forward and easy to those who do it regularly.

Totally agree that these days, modern tech had made learning extremely easy. I remember as a child how my mom had to beg around relatives and friends to learn a certain kuih. Everyone so secretive and not willing to teach. These days there are many who share on YouTube and their blogs. So thankful to these people, learned quite a lot. Unfortunately I watch a lot but do very little. Just don't want to waste buy a certain ingredient and use maybe that once. 

• 2 weeks later...

For local faves like nasi lemak, curry chicken etc, I usually recommend my friends from overseas to Food Playground at Sago Street.

For baking, I am taking lessons at The Eureka Cooking Lab at Jalan Kuras off Upper Thomson Road.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

My start at baking was....internet....then tried using Betty Crockers products (yes i know, not reallie alot of hands-on but starting what...dun judge..lol) to see how they tasted and easy they were to make the brownies..chocolate chip cookies...chocolate cakes etc.....then gradually visited Phoon Huat and got bolder and bought more ingredients (the baking powder, flours, baking chocolate etc)...and measurement items.(kitchen digital scale).....A good oven is kinda necessary (dun reallie need branded) and baking trays etc...its actually quite fun and very relaxing...

• 3 months later...

Any season bread makers here? And not taking about bread baking machine. Anyone who bake his own bread, care to share some pointers for beginners?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2009 at 6:47 PM, Saion said:

Hi there,

Thank you

Tott

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Baking is NOT a collection of recipes nor an art form. It is a science.

Try this book: Professional Baking: Wayne Gisslen (or the previous edition). Yes i know, it reads professional and you are just starting out. I’ll just say that learning systematically saves time in the long run. 

Edited by marthabrooks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

''Tis the season to be jolly... bake lalala...

last I was at Daiso IMM, they still have the silicone donut baking tray.

and if you don't want to get fondant from baking groceries, make your own 'cheat' fondant by melting marshmallows in microwave and add icing sugar and food colouring of choice. But do note that marshmallows ARE NOT vegetarian as most uses beef gelatin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest guest
On 7/11/2018 at 1:37 PM, shyc said:

Any season bread makers here? And not taking about bread baking machine. Anyone who bake his own bread, care to share some pointers for beginners?

If you want your bread to be soft and fluffy, try the "tangzhong" (汤种)method and use about 3/4 bread flour with 1/4 plain flour.

Also, make sure your dough is not too dry and knead it long enough to pass the "window pane" test.

6 hours ago, Guest guest said:

If you want your bread to be soft and fluffy, try the "tangzhong" (汤种)method and use about 3/4 bread flour with 1/4 plain flour.

Also, make sure your dough is not too dry and knead it long enough to pass the "window pane" test.

Thanks for the info. Tried TZ method before, quite good results. I use TZ as frosting for cupcakes as well. Currently toying with 100% hydration SD. Loving the surprise, the crumb and oven spring.

• 5 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.