Male HQ

Live Balance Or $$$$$?

earthhorse1978

Recently noted some newspaper start on topic of work live balance .....

So anybody who encounter such case that "make u feel" gonna quit your current job as long hours .....

Even if I am not wrong this city state score low in desirable workplace due to long hours in certain field of job that stir debate of "foreign talent" to fill in the gap things

If u have to work in odd hours, change timing of work certain period, have to work on weekend and public holiday, only 1 rest day

(It is not a kind of job which is shunned by local). Work wise actually nice company to work (great benefits), just the nature of the work (make u tired)

Awesome pay that can made single guy travel a lots to place you dream to.

Minus point : Hard to balance social live and work, balancing body metabolism as dynamic period change of work timing (it is like every certain month change timing)

If u don’t want, a bunch might want it due to $$$$

If after certain years, you can consider able to support higher education in OZ or Canada, which will be treat as a break and enjoy live (As now missed all those school days)

Btw Canada voted best place to live as work live balance the best if not wrong OZ no 2

But risking u spent all those piggy bank, after graduation from overseas institution u might at risk of jobless when returned as got dual degree might be too over qualified and pay might not as high as current u got.

U r not in teens, consider mature enough and even can in old days folks said shud have a teen children already

Still single ..... not owning property ... what laid a head ..... u got the degree, fresh after break from stressful working days ....

Sure after came back, job will be available but might be less $$$$

Hard decision to make which one more important? $$$$ or Live Balance? Anyone encounter such issues and may be success in overcoming it?

Wondering any such "career" advisor than can be consult ...... if so any recommend and fees info please .......

Just Ordinary Guy Next Door who is fun fearless and love travelling"

As a single person with no social and financial attachments as well as no family commitments, one should be able to break their 'chain of hell' - being employed in an undesirable working conditions. I believe it is up to the individual whether they want to break this chain - as in resigning from his job - or continue working in hell, with endless of complaints and curses ...

When one is unemployed/in between jobs, he may do some extra courses to give himself an extra edge to face more competitive job applicants who will be eyeing the same job as he does.

Working overseas may sound very enticing but it does not guarantee someone to live happily ever after. Happiness is a state of mind. Wherever you stay, if you want to be happy you certainly able to achieve that.

Australia and Canada also have many flaws and surely are not better than Singapore. There are countless things that you have to consider before migrating to a new place. For instance cars and homes might be cheaper but the taxes are higher. Healthcare wise is also not much better than any other developed countries.

So before you make a big move, please discuss it with someone that have been through the same dilemma as you have and maybe they can give you a better advice.

Edited by unitight

I have worked overseas many times and your happiness is really where you want to find it. I was happy in Indonesia, Australia... But I am also happy here in Singapore. If given the opportunity, would I want to leave the comfortable confines of Singapore again? Of course, I would do it in a heartbeat. Being thrown in a new environment causes one's senses to be heightened and this is how we train ourselves to be more aware of our surroundings.

Being stuck in one place for too long tends to numb our senses.

If you want to find fault with whever you are, it is always easy. Singapore is not perfect, you give and take. We work like hell, long hours with little holidays etc... While the quality of life might not be there, our taxes are relatively low and so is crime. We can walk down the street in the middle of the night without the fear of getting robbed or mobbed just because of the colour of your skin.

Overseas, quality of life is better but half your salary goes to taxes. You start to wonder what happened to your tax dollars when you see lazy loofers going on the dole just because they can. You also wonder when you fall sick and have to be warded in the hospital and you look at the state of the medical facilities... What happened to your tax dollars??

So it is all about balance. We can't have the cake and eat it all. Perhaps utopia does exists in countries like Bhutan?

If you do not like what you see in Singapore, no one is forcing you to stay here. The world is here for you to explore to make good use of your time on earth to see the wonders of the globe. No point complaining about this and that because your life is made better only by positive action on your part, not just sitting and moping about the negatives.

So how do you want your life to be? YOU decide...

Thanks Slayer/unitight/mcyslux1 for the opinion

I was happy in Indonesia

Overseas, quality of life is better but half your salary goes to taxes. You start to wonder what happened to your tax dollars when you see lazy loofers going on the dole just because they can. You also wonder when you fall sick and have to be warded in the hospital and you look at the state of the medical facilities... What happened to your tax dollars??

So how do you want your life to be? YOU decide...

Indeed it is depend on me who to decide, but before decide i need more inputs, as I dont have others to share.

That is why i try to start topic in forum to see what's other view.

And I am glad i did that. Indeed happiness is subjective depend on person

Actually I am happy with the $$$$ i got as i can travel lots with that, but sometimes always other field look greener

I dont know which part Indonesia u r in, but I think if u have to struggle with the capital traffic jam +/- 2 hour during going to work and when returning when u wasted +/- 4 hours make u happy than it is other story

Indeed this citystate tax is far much less than others ....

But what I know from those country with big tax, they have free medical, free education.

So before you make a big move, please discuss it with someone that have been through the same dilemma as you have and maybe they can give you a better advice.

That is why i need more opinion

Thanks ... noted u stayed OZ before, indeed some part of OZ like Darwin, i surely cant survive there.

But life there sound too relax, my company branch there ... if hit 5pm their local time, dont expect u can call anyone, not even u dare to call their mobile. Have to wait next day biz hour

2. Bottomline is what does one want at the end of the day?

That is what i dont know yet, what i want. $$$$ or Live Balance

Especially after shocking case and make me thinking of my future

Silver Hair Day = Miserable Life Await U?

And i never said wanna leave this City State, It is always nice stay here. All is top quality (But the living cost also start pinching now too)

My idea is pursuing higher degree not moving there permanently .... But what make me doubt

After graduation when indeed no more obligation as no property loan to be worried of, but practically nothing left as well .... after graduation jobless, returned will this city state ready for double degree postgrad potential employee?

Anyway other field always look greener

Edited by earthhorse1978

I dont know which part Indonesia u r in, but I think if u have to struggle with the capital traffic jam +/- 2 hour during going to work and when returning when u wasted +/- 4 hours make u happy than it is other story

I have lived in Pekanbahru, Padang, Bandung and Jakarta.

As for the macet in Jakarta, it wore me out initially. Which was why I learnt to get up really early to beat it. I looked at it as an opportunity to start my day early. Although in the beginning I thought I was sent to hell, eventually I learnt to appreciate Jakarta for what it was. I had a driver to take me around so the jam wasn't really an issue, thus no need to get upset. I learnt to be more patient because I know it is going to be macet anyway, so why get angry? At the end of the work day I head to the gym, take my time and wait for the jam to ease before calling for my driver to pick me up at PI (Plaza Indo).

I come home to Singapore and I see impatient drivers cutting lanes and blaring their horns at every given opportunity... Why? Are our roads and traffic THAT BAD?

A lot of Singaporeans who complain inccessantly do not know how well they have got it here. I left because it got a little too irritating for me. Not only that, everyone is always complaining about how much they earn and even start to compare salaries! This I think it is very personal and a definite no-no for me. Or even worse, you are labelled a certain type of character because of schools you went to, the universities you got admitted to... Seriously, way too superficial.

It has come to a point I just shut my mind out whenever people start to make noise. I just focus on my dream villa I would love to buy in Bali. hahahaha...

Yes the grass always seems greener on the other side, it is always the case. But your happiness is where you make it. If I could find happiness in Jakarta as a Chinese (granted, I am not Indonesian and only lived there for a short time), I am sure I can be comfortable anywhere!

Wah thanks for sharing a true blue singaporean story who already taste live in other part of this city state

At the end of the work day I head to the gym, take my time and wait for the jam to ease before calling for my driver to pick me up at PI (Plaza Indo).

U really have great days in Indonesia, private driver ... hahah i also dont mind if got driver who drive and get the stress .... if only the driver also cute cute one ... will be perfect

I left because it got a little too irritating for me. Not only that, everyone is always complaining about how much they earn and even start to compare salaries! This I think it is very personal and a definite no-no for me. Or even worse, you are labelled a certain type of character because of schools you went to, the universities you got admitted to... Seriously, way too superficial.

Sorry ... dont get this part .... u left the work in Indonesia or here one?

That is also worried me here .... seems my collegues start to compare each others already .... (most local)

It has come to a point I just shut my mind out whenever people start to make noise. I just focus on my dream villa I would love to buy in Bali. hahahaha...

Hey how can have same idea .... retirement villa in Lovina beach Bali .... hahaha will be perfect ... wake up nice sunrice, and relax in the sunset

And that is also a consideration leave this current high paying job, go higher education 1 year as a break, dried up piggy bank to support this 1 year break. Later start fresh work but might jeopradize retirement ness ....

Yes the grass always seems greener on the other side, it is always the case. But your happiness is where you make it. If I could find happiness in Jakarta as a Chinese (granted, I am not Indonesian and only lived there for a short time), I am sure I can be comfortable anywhere!

Trust me as a chinese u better drop the idea live there, except Bali .... 1999 riot all parts chinese r the victim.

Only Bali where majority Hindu and relied on Tourism still peaceful till the bomb tear the image of Paradise island

hmm ..... more and more input to get better judgment, whether gain as much as $$$ now while u can and still employed ......

Seems no others interested to share how they coup with the condition they have .......

U really have great days in Indonesia, private driver ... hahah i also dont mind if got driver who drive and get the stress .... if only the driver also cute cute one ... will be perfect

LOL... My Pak Sudarno was a very nice man. He looks a bit like a cross between Harvey Malaihollo and Rano Karno. "Pak Darno, bisa sampe sini antar gue?" Hehehehe...

Sorry ... dont get this part .... u left the work in Indonesia or here one?

That is also worried me here .... seems my collegues start to compare each others already .... (most local)

Actually I was glad to get my posting. I was getting very irritated by the people around me in Spore who were always comparing who had what. That is why I accepted the overseas posting. And I am not surprised by what is happening in your office now. This persistent "kiasu" mentality... Permeating every fabric of our existence.

Hey how can have same idea .... retirement villa in Lovina beach Bali .... hahaha will be perfect ... wake up nice sunrice, and relax in the sunset

And that is also a consideration leave this current high paying job, go higher education 1 year as a break, dried up piggy bank to support this 1 year break. Later start fresh work but might jeopradize retirement ness ....

I LOVE LOVINA!!!!!!! Gosh it is so quiet there and devoid of kiasu Singaporeans, drunken Aussies... hahahaha... I was actually looking at a few properties in Seminyak because I LOVE Ku De Ta so living in Lovina might be a little far for me to get to this fav hang out of mine.

Trust me as a chinese u better drop the idea live there, except Bali .... 1999 riot all parts chinese r the victim.

Only Bali where majority Hindu and relied on Tourism still peaceful till the bomb tear the image of Paradise island

To be honest, my relatives who were living there (JKT) all ran away after the riots, mostly to Spore and some to Australia. None of them wanted to return so I understand the complications being a chinese living in Jakarta entails. They didn't even want to go back to sell their houses in Kelapa Gading and Taman Anggrek but got agents to do it for them instead.

In fact, I myself was caught in a GOLKAR demonstration in Bandung a few years back, thankfully my driver was quick enough to have me bundled in a blanket under the seat to make sure I was hidden from view should the windows of the Kijang be smashed. I was on the way to the airport and of all the places to demo, these people did it at the entrance of the airport. I am sure you are familiar with Bandara Hussein Sastranegara... there is only ONE road leading into the airport. So my driver accidentally drove into the demo and got stuck as we were surrounded rather quickly.

That's what I mean when I say Sporeans don't understand how good they have it here when they complain about this and that... All trivial as far as I am concerned.

I think it all depends on how your company is ran to allow and encourage employees to have a work life balance. A friend of mine who worked in a statuary board a while back asked me on how things are managed here in the US that allows employees a better work/life balance. One thing for sure, employers recognize the fact that a happy employee is a productive one. So many of them have programs here that is targeted on making them better at their work productivity.

A simple example would be having a daycare within the office building. Some companies even allow people to bring their pets with them to work. Some companies offer nursing services that the employee only has to pay portion of the costs to help take care of their sick loved ones- i.e. parents. Parents are allowed to take child sick care leave. Other companies allow employees the flexibility to work from home- i.e. when you are taking care of a sick child or have some matters that you have to attend to at home that day.

My favourite work/life balance program to this date has to be summer Fridays. Typically summer lasts about 13 weeks. My former company ran this program every year. Depending on your business group etc. you have the option to work 1/2 day every Friday during summer; meaning you work a 4.5 day work week or you can take the whole Friday off every other week.

At the end of it,employees when at work can really focus on their work and be productive vs. getting distracted by family matters at home or something else.

So I don't think it is something that is hard to achieve. Employers need to recognize that employees are people who have a life outside of work and every so often the 2 will clash. By implementing maybe a localised version of "summer Fridays" for example during the kids' June and December holidays period will allow parents to spend more time with their kids or for single people, go away for a long weekend.

Employees also need to play their part by being responsible and accountable where work is concerned.

Love. 

If you have a bf and need a complete "family" life, than unstructured work hour can be quite risky because both of you may not always be together in the same timing.

Personally, I felt happiness is the key regardless of salary amount or working hours. When you are happy, having a bf is a plus and without a bf doesn't make you sad too. If you don't like your working environment, you will not want to stay if they pay well or suit your desired work timing.

When one is unhappy with his job due to various reasons, he will not stay long even though the returns might be good. He will reach a saturation point when he will give up and move on. I believe financial planning is very important and should start planning from younger age so that we can work less at older age and have more personal time to enjoy things or in other words, better quality of life. Many of them wind down or retired in their late 40's and early 50's when time to let their money works for them so that they take on a less demanding job. Of course, depending on case by case basis, early retirement might not be a thought by some especially those enjoyed working or who are workholics. Perhaps i should say, when we are young we should work harder to survive and for achievement....As we grow older, we should work to pass time and have more time for ourselves and love ones. <_<

Merry Xmas ever1 ......

Many thanks for so many input .....

I think it all depends on how your company is run to allow and encourage employees to have a work life balance. My favorite work/life balance program to this date has to be summer Fridays. Typically summer lasts about 13 weeks.

I wish that is my company, btw chelseasian r u in US now? Even though my company is MNC, I heard that in our HQ all staffs entitle for certain weeks leave for summer and for maternity leave (paid leave by 8 months).

But here in Asia branches none of that applied.

Anyway the package still great.

Near 2010 now, it is time to have Self Introspection on what I want and what I need.

Whether work live balance

Whether $$$$

Whether pursuing higher education and later got double post grad degree with risk of jobless due to overqualified

All need in-depth thinking, especially after shocking news of my fren's pass away story Silver Hair Utopian

Now I still can say I am young and energetic, indeed not happy and not enjoying due to work nature.

If compared with my AhKong-AhMa regarding how super hard their live during Japs invasion ... they only ate once/twice daily, hard boiled sweet potato - lucky enough sweet potato porridge with salted egg.

So compare with that .... may be my working condition now is nothing

Again Thanks

Btw any 1 know good financial planner/wealth management/or whatsoever title that may be can advice on financial planning?

Yes. i am based in the US for many years. It is pretty much normal practice here for the most parts during summer for companies to practice summer Fridays or summer hours as a way for employees to spend time with their kids and family. Maternity leave is pretty much standard for 3 months (the employee gets 100% of salary) and any time longer than that, the salary gets lowered- i.e. to 80% etc.

I think many times employers here, myself included, want to create the best environment for employees to be focused while they are at work. I am cool with people working from home 5 days a week if it means on my end, I save on office rent, and still maintain productivity. With email and IM etc. I can reach out to anyone at any time and vice versa, so the traditional 9 to 5 office hours are not always practical.

Imagine you have a new mother who is working, her hours, despite after the initial 3 months of maternity leave will be off, depending on the baby's needs. So I cannot expect her to be at her desk 9 to 5. I am cool with her working 7 to 11am and then later in the evening. Again it depends on the nature of work and business.

At the end of it, sometimes it does not hurt to ask the employer if you can have better work/life balance if it means making you a more productive person.

Love. 

• Guest locked this topic